Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thaao Penghlis was fired
Topic Started: Jan 30 2009, 12:01 AM (5,195 Views)
Jiggs
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jan 30 2009, 06:39 AM
Regardless, this news is underwhelming. They do so little with Tony already, half the time I forget he's even still around.
Yea, underwhelming. I bet if the blogger hadn't said this person was part of a supercouple, misleading everyone, there would hardly have been much speculation like there was yesterday on this topic.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Did you see the post at the blog from someone calling themselves a set sider that claims Stephen Nichols was let go too? :-/ I think that one is a load of sour grapes.

cjknick
Member Avatar

At this point and time there is no one that could be let go that would be a surprise or would shock the soap world - Deidre was the big fish and once she went down so did the shock value!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

OneBadKitty
Jan 30 2009, 04:46 PM
Did you see the post at the blog from someone calling themselves a set sider that claims Stephen Nichols was let go too? :-/ I think that one is a load of sour grapes.
I don't doubt it happening at some point but I think the person is just taking a dig at the diva.

If SN does go, I'm noticing a trend. Drake was vocal in recent years about the writing and he got axed. Thaoo was vocal and he got axed. We know SN and MBE pushed to rectify the mistakes with the Ava story and SN was noticeably pissed at the Days fan event and now he may be a goner.

It's like Days took Ed Scott's "You pout, your out" and finally applied it LOL. Not that I think that is why they have or may ax these people but it's interesting if you think about it.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

You could be right Phoenix, they did the same in the 90s with Matthew Ashford, Thaao and John Aniston.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I don't remember Matt and John ever being vocal about the writing though.

I do remember JER not liking them or Thaoo but I don't think any of them, except for Thaoo, were outspoken about the writing like Thaoo and Drake was. SN never really came out openly blasting it either. We heard about what him and MBE did and he didn't say anything at the fan event. It was more his body language and how pissed he looked about things.

peaches179

PhoenixRising05
Jan 30 2009, 04:49 PM
It's like Days took Ed Scott's "You pout, your out" and finally applied it LOL. Not that I think that is why they have or may ax these people but it's interesting if you think about it.

LOL!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

John said sometime around 1995-97 that he hated how Victor got pushed around by some "teens".

As for Matthew, I don't know if he was vocal. But I've read that he, John and some other actors used to talk alot with the producers and come with suggestions about scenes and such, pre-91. But when Langan came that changed. Matt was fired in 91 and cleared out his dressing room but in the last minute NBC stepped in so Matt got to keep his job on Days. But he was written much worse those two years, just like he was when he came back in 2001 when Langan was writing. Some producers/writers trash characters they want gone so fans won't like (or care about) them anymore.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Jan 30 2009, 05:38 PM
John said sometime around 1995-97 that he hated how Victor got pushed around by some "teens".

As for Matthew, I don't know if he was vocal. But I've read that he, John and some other actors used to talk alot with the producers and come with suggestions about scenes and such, pre-91. But when Langan came that changed. Matt was fired in 91 and cleared out his dressing room but in the last minute NBC stepped in so Matt got to keep his job on Days. But he was written much worse those two years, just like he was when he came back in 2001 when Langan was writing. Some producers/writers trash characters they want gone so fans won't like (or care about) them anymore.
I don't remember the one about John but I don't doubt it.

As for Matt, I knew that and I knew Langan hated him and that is why Jack became a buffoon and why he was one when he returned in 2001 at first as well.

I knew about how the actors used to talk with the producers too. I think that is why the cast liked Ed Scott because he was one of the first in awhile that encouraged that kind of thing.

Ives
Member Avatar

Sindacco

That is pretty much what they did to MBE at that time. In fact, the preciptating event was Steve's death scene. MBE thought it was appropriate for Kayla to crawl up onto Steve's hospital bed and hold him. The producers were all about minimizing the mourning and made her promise not to do it. She did it anyway - she felt it was in character and the fans deserved a good final scene for S&K after all of the years of their love story. After that, she felt like the producers were not interested in Kayla's character integrity. She fought for it as much as she could (along with Charles Shaughnessy, Shane, in some instances) so that in the end when they did not renew her contract it was almost mutual (although MBE has said that she did not think she would have otherwise left on her own).

As far as Ed Scott's "you pout, your out", I wonder something entirely different. Something like where the actors who were big Ed Scott fans (and his collaborative style) might not be held in high regard by the current writing regime.

You are right about Matt Ashford's point that prior to that time there was a lot of actor input and creative collaboration with the producers and writers. I think the loss of that was *one* of the reasons SN desired to move on from Days back then.
Edited by Ives, Jan 30 2009, 05:54 PM.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Matt's final scene in '93 was supposed to be a video message from Jack to Jennifer and Abby. He ignored the script and pretty much ad-libbed the entire thing. Langan was furious, cut the scene and replaced it with this lame letter that Austin read out to Jennifer. Yeah, their relationship was quite poisonous. lol.

Ives
Member Avatar

Ponz
Jan 30 2009, 05:53 PM
Matt's final scene in '93 was supposed to be a video message from Jack to Jennifer and Abby. He ignored the script and pretty much ad-libbed the entire thing. Langan was furious, cut the scene and replaced it with this lame letter that Austin read out to Jennifer. Yeah, their relationship was quite poisonous. lol.
Perfect example of where the term "The IDIOTS In Charge" comes from. Seriously, do they not understand that the actors who portray the characters daily and are invested in them have a good comprehension for what is In Character and Fan Appropriate??? Geez, although with the climate now, Matt would have been charged with being the evil rewriting diva at Days. LOL I was surprised at how offended posters seemed to be that actors would tweak and change dialogue when the whole diva-gate thing broke out. IMO, it can only be a GOOD thing. Especially with all of the writing and producing staff turnover at Days.

jjmama
Member Avatar

Has anyone seen this posted anywhere else? How do we know this is really true?
The only thing i found was this:
http://daytimeconfidential.com/2009/01/days-rumor-has-thaao-penghlis-been-fired
which is just the same thing.
Edited by jjmama, Jan 30 2009, 08:42 PM.

Mason

^ Nelson Branco, of TV Guide Canada, has also posted about Thaao being let go. He's very reliable (despite what some people here may choose to believe).

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Sindacco

It's common knowledge that JER hated Thaao, Matt, and John. Thaao criticized the idea of Tony and Kristen being engaged when they were introduced to Salem as a couple. He said the fans want a build up. He was right. Then Thaao wasn't happy when Tony was blind yet didn't understand the sex noises from John and Kristen. Thaao said, "he's blind not dumb." Then JER was quoted as saying he was going to put the nail in Tony's coffin after that comment by Thaao.

I don't think it's pout and your out. I think it's paychecks and the writers non interest in the vets.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Jiggs
Jan 30 2009, 04:33 PM
Kenny
Jan 30 2009, 06:39 AM
Regardless, this news is underwhelming. They do so little with Tony already, half the time I forget he's even still around.
Yea, underwhelming. I bet if the blogger hadn't said this person was part of a supercouple, misleading everyone, there would hardly have been much speculation like there was yesterday on this topic.
No. Just because you, who did not watch DOOL in the 80s thinks they are not a supercouple doesn't mean it's true. All the soap mags call Tanna a supercouple.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Mason
Jan 30 2009, 08:46 PM
^ Nelson Branco, of TV Guide Canada, has also posted about Thaao being let go. He's very reliable (despite what some people here may choose to believe).
Nelson confirmed what The Diva said yet won't give the blog credit. That's a bit odd. :shrug:

Deleted User
Deleted User

hoochielicious
Jan 30 2009, 09:02 PM
Mason
Jan 30 2009, 08:46 PM
Nelson confirmed what The Diva said yet won't give the blog credit. That's a bit odd. :shrug:
Alright guys, we all know everyone's thoughts about Nelson. Is it really necessary to keep on discussing him? Please stay on topic!
Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

Sounds like the writing over the years hasn't been any better than what it is now.....

robolynn

I'm very saddened to hear that Thaao has been let go. He has always been one of my favorites. If they're trying to ruin this show, they're doing a GREAT job of it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply