Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thaao Penghlis was fired
Topic Started: Jan 30 2009, 12:01 AM (5,091 Views)
pspcindy
Member Avatar

Thaao is a very entertaining actor and in person he is very charismatic. I will miss Tony/Andre very much. Perhaps he will turn up again. I sure hope so.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fancyface78
Member Avatar

hoochielicious
Jan 30 2009, 09:02 PM
Mason
Jan 30 2009, 08:46 PM
^ Nelson Branco, of TV Guide Canada, has also posted about Thaao being let go. He's very reliable (despite what some people here may choose to believe).
Nelson confirmed what The Diva said yet won't give the blog credit. That's a bit odd. :shrug:
Yes, I noticed that!!
Edited by fancyface78, Jan 30 2009, 10:56 PM.

Mason

Alright, I'm just going to say this, and then I'm not going to mention Nelson in this thread again.

If Nelson already knew about Thaao's firing well before The Diva posted about it, why would he need to give that blog credit for it? (and this is a rhetorical question, since I don't want to take this thread into an off-topic debate)

cassie1013

Not surprised. At all. The character of Tony is like a super cheese soap caricature, and there's no where to go with him.

At least it's not someone crucial...thank god. Let's hope Josh Taylor is next, Lol!

cassie1013

hoochielicious
Jan 30 2009, 09:00 PM
Jiggs
Jan 30 2009, 04:33 PM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
No. Just because you, who did not watch DOOL in the 80s thinks they are not a supercouple doesn't mean it's true. All the soap mags call Tanna a supercouple.
OK, I've officially decided the term super couple is completely overused. Seriously, magazines call Ejami a super couple too LOL. We all know who the real super couples are. And either way, the term gets thrown around all the time... I've even seen Shawn and Mimi referred to as a supercouple in print! Not reliable.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Just WHO determines how supercouple should be used anyway? It's already been established on this thread that there are many reasons why it's OK for Tony and Anna to be referred to as a supercouple. Good grief.

IIttu
Member Avatar

Mistakes after another ones :( I'm not personally a fan of Thaao/Tony but everyone who has been a part of supercouple back in the golden days of soaps deserves more respect than what Corday's giving to Days' vets.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

hoochielicious
Jiggs
Jan 30 2009, 04:33 PM

No. Just because you, who did not watch DOOL in the 80s thinks they are not a supercouple doesn't mean it's true. All the soap mags call Tanna a supercouple.
I didn't watch Days in the 80s? News to me!!! LOL!

Oh, and I made no comment in my post about whether Anna/Tony are a supercouple or not.
Edited by Jiggs, Jan 31 2009, 10:38 PM.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Jan 30 2009, 12:09 AM
Kevc1980
Jan 30 2009, 12:06 AM
Thank god...Finally someone who is expendable...Can Josh Taylor please be cut next?
He's been the most expendable person for years and is still there because he's such a buddy of Corday's. If he wasn't a FOC he probably would have been let go a LONG time ago.....

So this is how Corday treats every other friend EXCEPT Josh Taylor? Fires them three or four times?

It's not like Roman has had a storyline in the last decade but I haven't read anything about him getting let go.

I hate to see Tony go, hated to see how he wasn't utilized as he should have been but to say he was expendable? Not seeing it. Not when he had been off canvas for decades unlike the previous couple who were fired.

Edited by SpriteEyes, Feb 1 2009, 08:07 AM.

Kyrai

I watched in the 80s. I loved Tony and Anna. I also loved Tony/Andre and Renee. Broke my heart when Renee was murdered.

I do not understand the fixation on the word super couple.

Thaao has been great ever since he's been on, whether Tony or Andre. He's a superb actor, and it's Days loss that they've not realized it in recent years.

I don't know if Leeann is leaving too, I hope not, but suspect so, but she was a brilliant actress who was a joy to watch whether with Thaao or Calliope and Eugene or with Alex.

Why do they have to be a super couple for it to be a huge loss? I agree the writers have a problem writing for them because they don't have a creative juice in their bodies, but imo, they've missed the boat never trying. Just because Tony didn't have a story doesn't mean that he shouldn't have. Days totally wastes their talent.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jan 31 2009, 06:56 AM
Just WHO determines how supercouple should be used anyway? It's already been established on this thread that there are many reasons why it's OK for Tony and Anna to be referred to as a supercouple. Good grief.

Well I have pretty much come to the conclusion that any pairing on Days is a supercouple if there are a couple of fans for them. They use that term too loosely around there. Grant it Tony/Anna might have been a popular pairing in the past which I could give a bit more credit to than other pairings that get that tag.

They haven't used Thaao or the characters of Tony/Andre correctly for YEARS. They should have left it that Tony did all the crazy stuff. He just snapped after everything that happened in the past with Kristen wanting John to Stefano treating him like the second class citizen, etc. But then again putting logic and Days in the same sentence is a crazy idea in itself.

Not a real shocker here since they haven't used Thaao very well in a long time. They never did anything to make a pairing like Tony/Anna really work for newer viewers that didn't watch them back in the day. I honestly wonder why people go back to Days time and time again after they get fired by Corday. Makes me glad some of the younger actors who left/were fired leave and haven't looked back.
Edited by cubsgirl, Feb 1 2009, 08:57 AM.

cjknick
Member Avatar

The one thing I appreciate about some of these actors is that they take it all in stride... Ok I've been fired AGAIN - for some of them it is just the nature of the business. BD in his radio interview said I think I have been fired 15 times as he laughs...

Drake and Deidre are another story especially Deidre - this was not the nature of the business for them they have been basically "fire proof". But for Thaao - been there done that - he'll take it in stride, go on a trip and will take a call next time they need his character back.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Sorry Thao.

FanODays

cassie1013
Jan 30 2009, 11:50 PM
hoochielicious

OK, I've officially decided the term super couple is completely overused. Seriously, magazines call Ejami a super couple too LOL. We all know who the real super couples are. And either way, the term gets thrown around all the time... I've even seen Shawn and Mimi referred to as a supercouple in print! Not reliable.
The term is also irrelevant in this day and age escpecially with Corday involved. Corday has his own agenda for the show and I don't think it has anything to do with why most started watching. Like someone said in another thread, he views it like an unwanted sibling and ultimately wants to destroy it.

Each actor who has been let go has to make their own decision about returning if its offered. Some may be willing to kiss Corday's feet and others may be willing to tell him to shove it. Personally I hope Dee, Drake and Thaao do the latter if the situation ever arises.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply