Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EON: Serena/Josie's Trial; Some of the best scenes in daytime EVER!
Topic Started: Feb 1 2009, 06:17 PM (818 Views)
somersetfan
Member Avatar

Lousie Shaffer proves why she is one of the best actress' ever to grace daytime.

Edited by somersetfan, May 6 2011, 06:54 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gregorzick

Quite simply, Louise Shaffer's finest hour as a soap actress. Not before or after her stint on THE EDGE OF NIGHT did she ever top what she does here. Had they given out best supporting actress Emmys at the time of these performances, she easily would have won one. Instead, she won for her somewhat uneven stint on RYAN'S HOPE. Go figure. These scenes rank right up their with Judith Light's courtroom scenes as Karen Wolek on ONE LIFE TO LIVE circa 1979.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

I am bumping this because a youtube user posted the full episode of the Serena/Josie's exposure, also the scene where Josie shoots Mark Faraday is now up.....

Edited by somersetfan, May 6 2011, 06:55 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

That clip is very historically significant for 2 reasons. First of all, the episode it comes from is the December 2, 1975, episode which is the SECOND episode of the series after the switch to ABC. The scenes on the courthouse steps, however, are a replay of the final scenes from the previous episode (the 1st ABC episode, of course) which was a 90 minute special to premiere EDGE on ABC. Also, the theme song that plays is the ULTRA rare "Big Band" arrangement of the classic theme song. So universally loathed, the theme only lasted a few weeks before being replaced with the old arrangement of the theme that had been used on CBS which then continued until the original version of the "C&B" theme premiered in 1976 (or 1977, I forget) that would then carry the show through the rest of its time on ABC (although it did get the famed "Disco" arrangement in 1980). The Big Band theme is so rare, this is the very first time I've EVER gotten to hear it and I'm nearly certain that this clip is the only place it can be heard online. It's so rare, that for a long time a lot of people thought it was lost.

sungrey

For its time, that was a spectacular piece of work. Location scenes like that were rare back then. But it lent so much realism to the show to have the shooting take place outdoors. That was a damn good dramatic scene.

It's no secret EDGE is my all-time favorite soap. However, the "big band" arrangement of the theme did not fit the show at all. Luckily everyone agreed and the original theme was restored.

If only soaps could do stories this well today.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

sungrey
May 7 2011, 12:11 AM
For its time, that was a spectacular piece of work. Location scenes like that were rare back then. But it lent so much realism to the show to have the shooting take place outdoors. That was a damn good dramatic scene.

It's no secret EDGE is my all-time favorite soap. However, the "big band" arrangement of the theme did not fit the show at all. Luckily everyone agreed and the original theme was restored.

If only soaps could do stories this well today.
EDGE was famous for doing location shots (even going back to the 1950s). Even more impressive was the fact that a lot of their location shots (especially in the 1950s and 1960s) were done LIVE like the rest of the show! They'd simply lug the cameras up onto the roof of the studio (or into a nearby alley) and broadcast a shootout!

Maybe it's just me, but I think soaps started to lose something when they stopped being live.

sungrey

Oh, I know! You basically were chancing it doing elaborate stuff like this on a live broadcast. But it was always so thrilling to watch. And the best part? The mysteries all made sense. There were no dropped threads, no missed clues...

That's exactly why, when I picked up online writing over at DRTV, I said "no way am I doing Edge" because no one could hold a candle to Henry.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

And that was always what was so wonderful about EDGE -- Henry Slesar KNEW what he was doing and where the story was going before he even started it. He KNEW that if Margo Dorn was murdered, who did it, HOW it was done, WHY the police would think someone else did it, etc. There was no "Oh, let's kill off so-and-so and figure out who did it any why later on. And then change out minds and try to make it sound good." Watching EDGE was not a passive experience because you had to actively pay attention to things because they might come back into play later. Unless it was a deliberate red herring, of course (but, then again, even THOSE ended up meaning SOMETHING). I never got to watch EDGE the first time around, but I rediscovered it when they were running it online on AOL and I picked it up while Draper had amnesia right as he and Emily bought Draper & April's house. I was SO FREAKING HOOKED. I'm so pissed that P&G stopped running old soaps on AOL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Video Vault · Next Topic »
Add Reply