Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deidre & Drake on cover of CBS Soaps In Depth; "Days fans will be thrilled!"
Topic Started: Feb 1 2009, 07:08 PM (4,522 Views)
Manny
Member Avatar

Keep Drake away from Y&R.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hawk_osu
Member Avatar

Yes Drake as Dr. Ed Bauer is out of this world...more like a recast of Dr. Rick Bauer if they ever needed one.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Feb 2 2009, 06:12 PM
Drew
Feb 2 2009, 05:42 PM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
Your comment implies that Days panders to fan bases, which I find amusing. If they pandered to fanbases, such as the J&M fan base, then why have I been unhappy with this show for over a decade? LOL
I don't think they've pandered in recent years, but they have in the past. Many fans of the couples became "spoiled," if you will, and reached a point where they pretty much refused to accept any story that didn't involve their couple together and happy with no third party, etc. As a result, many story possibilities were limited and many of the couples became stale. JMO.

But like I said, the pandering hasn't been so bad in recent years. The show's just been badly written.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 2 2009, 06:34 PM
Jiggs

I don't think they've pandered in recent years, but they have in the past. Many fans of the couples became "spoiled," if you will, and reached a point where they pretty much refused to accept any story that didn't involve their couple together and happy with no third party, etc. As a result, many story possibilities were limited and many of the couples became stale. JMO.

But like I said, the pandering hasn't been so bad in recent years. The show's just been badly written.
I disagree. I became a J&M fan when J&M were not even a couple, and I was glued to the screen for years when they were not together. So I don't think you could call me a spoiled fan. I have never asked for a story where J&M were happy with no conflict. I have never felt spoiled by this show. Ever.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Feb 2 2009, 07:06 PM
I disagree. I became a J&M fan when J&M were not even a couple, and I was glued to the screen for years when they were not together. So I don't think you could call me a spoiled fan. I have never asked for a story where J&M were happy with no conflict. I have never felt spoiled by this show. Ever.
I wasn't talking about any fan in particular, LoL. I'm talking about fanbases in general.

Another problem is that so many of the fanbases want something different from the show. Days is the only show that has so many individual fanbases who constantly pull the writers in every direction. One fanbase wants this, the other fanbase wants this, another fanbase wants that. The show and it's schizo writing has allowed for the development of these unyielding fanbases and now the writers are in a situation where no matter what they do, they're going to make some fanbase angry. It's been that way for years now, IMO.

Corday's interference doesn't help, of course. It also doesn't help when you have writers like Dena Higley who just don't get the show at all.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Jiggs
Drew
Feb 2 2009, 05:42 PM

Your comment implies that Days panders to fan bases, which I find amusing. If they pandered to fanbases, such as the J&M fan base, then why have I been unhappy with this show for over a decade? LOL
they go about it in stupid ways, but they still pander to these groups. Otherwise Drake would not have been brought back, neither would half the other fired vets over the last 5 years. Its their pattern, they try something "risky", then panic when the fanbases go nuts and rehire them like nothing happened.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 2 2009, 07:24 PM
I wasn't talking about any fan in particular, LoL. I'm talking about fanbases in general.

Another problem is that so many of the fanbases want something different from the show. Days is the only show that has so many individual fanbases who constantly pull the writers in every direction. One fanbase wants this, the other fanbase wants this, another fanbase wants that. The show and it's schizo writing has allowed for the development of these unyielding fanbases and now the writers are in a situation where no matter what they do, they're going to make some fanbase angry. It's been that way for years now, IMO.

Corday's interference doesn't help, of course. It also doesn't help when you have writers like Dena Higley who just don't get the show at all.
I know you weren't talking about any particular fan, I was simply replying from my own point of view since I don't think I can speak for a whole fanbase.

I really don't think fan bases have anything to do with what happens on screen. The last time the show was pretty popular was when Reilly was writing in the 90s, and that's because the show had a singular vision and you didn't have a lot of interference from the network or Corday. Of course you did have some interference from the network, but I think ultimately Reilly got his way and was allowed to write story after story that had some good consistency. Once Corday started hiring bad writer after bad writer you had a show that just threw shit at the fans, and when nothing seemed to work they blamed the fans for being unable to please. I don't buy that it's ever the fans fault, other than Days cultivated a core audience that tuned in for romance and adventure, and not bed-hopping couples. When they stopped writing for that audience, they lost their way.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Drew
Feb 2 2009, 07:25 PM
they go about it in stupid ways, but they still pander to these groups. Otherwise Drake would not have been brought back, neither would half the other fired vets over the last 5 years. Its their pattern, they try something "risky", then panic when the fanbases go nuts and rehire them like nothing happened.
Then maybe PANDER is the wrong word. Perhaps the things they do that you consider risky are just bad decisions. They wouldn't try to redirect them unless they saw the ratings drop.

When the show tried to pair John and Hope, they kept at it for years, refusing to listen to fans. If you consider it pandering to fanbases when they finally realized Jope wasn't working and never would work, and attempted to correct some of the mistakes made, I have to disagree that it's pandering. More like attempting to stop the bleeding LOL

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Flying Monkey
Feb 2 2009, 06:09 PM
All shows pander to fans, that's how they stay in business, Y&R is no different. Acquiring an extremely popular couple from another show who've been let go would a major coup.

I rather like the premise of the idea.
I like the idea of D&D going to another show, but I am not a fan of Y&R and I cannot stand Victor Newman, so I would not look forward to watching Deidre and Eric Braedon. But I suppose I could tolerate it if the story was good enough.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

If Days doesn't or didn't listen to fanbases then why do fanbases still collect money to send in "gifts" that symbolize their couples or participate in letter writing campaigns?

I mean it has to have worked for fanbases at least a couple of times or these groups wouldn't keep doing what they are doing would they?

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I think they've fixated on fanbases more than "pandered" to them.

They've rarely focused on developing individuals in favor of developing couples. Then, they seem to forget that people can do things besides break up and get together again. They constantly focus on the "overcoming the obstacles" aspect in a way that, to me, comes off as an attempt to keep a specific fanbase happy by re-telling the same story, when maybe they should write people off or break them up permanently. The couple may not always be together, but their trueloveforever is always reaffirmed. It seems to have shifted lately, but I think that's mostly because they haven't found a definite pair.

So maybe it is pandering.

About the cover- I hope they don't end up somewhere together. I'm curious to see what they could do apart in other roles.

soapfan35

Rhiannon
Feb 2 2009, 08:19 PM
If Days doesn't or didn't listen to fanbases then why do fanbases still collect money to send in "gifts" that symbolize their couples or participate in letter writing campaigns?

I mean it has to have worked for fanbases at least a couple of times or these groups wouldn't keep doing what they are doing would they?

The first fan base I remember sending a gift that made an impact to someone other than the actors was the Mike & Carrie fans. They sent roses or something to SSM. They were very vocal and organized in their campaigning and it made their fan base seem bigger than it actually was. Suddenly C&M were the rooting couple and Austin was the odd man out. The show then decided if they could break up Austin & Carrie, they no super couple was safe.

Despite having contributed to many campaigns over the years I really don't think they work, and I don't think they should work as far as dictating story. The writer should have an understanding of the characters and know the boundaries that can be pushed. Unfortunately, the suits in charge force their focus group opinions on the show and combined with one bad head writer after another, no one ends up satisified.

Soozn79
Member Avatar

Drake's character dates Ashley... LOL! I just can't help myself, I think that would be hysterical! I simply cannot imagine Dee being paired up with Victor. That would never fly. It definitely has the feel of stunt casting though. Don't know how I feel about that. But who am I kidding? I would love to see either or both of them pretty much anywhere. (Please God, not GL.) Especially Y&R.

hops
Member Avatar

Rhiannon

It's not just Days fans who do it. It is all the shows. There was a fanbase from another soap that sent in underwear. AMC fans have campaigns all the time. I'm with Soapfan though....she made some excellent points. It's fun to send in things to let the show know the fans are still out there, but I honestly don't think it makes that much difference. A few letters are probably worth more.

Kenny
Member Avatar

hops
Feb 2 2009, 11:16 PM
It's not just Days fans who do it. It is all the shows. There was a fanbase from another soap that sent in underwear. AMC fans have campaigns all the time. I'm with Soapfan though....she made some excellent points. It's fun to send in things to let the show know the fans are still out there, but I honestly don't think it makes that much difference. A few letters are probably worth more.
It happens with other soaps, yes. But I think it's more prevalent with Days viewers.

Let's not lose sight of the original point though, which was that the show does pander (at least in certain ways) to the fanbases and sometimes the story suffers as a result.

hops
Member Avatar

Quote:

It happens with other soaps, yes. But I think it's more prevalent with Days viewers.

Let's not lose sight of the original point though, which was that the show does pander (at least in certain ways) to the fanbases and sometimes the story suffers as a result.
i don't know, I think fans of the ABC soaps campaign just as much. I'm not really familiar with them except from the SOD Insider and little things I've heard through the years. I think one fanbase sent a plane with a message to one of the actresses on GH once (I thought I read that somewhere). At the end of the day though, it's still not the fault of the fans...it's the people in charge of writing and putting the show on the air. They make the choices.
Edited by hops, Feb 3 2009, 12:39 AM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

hops
Feb 3 2009, 12:38 AM
At the end of the day though, it's still not the fault of the fans...it's the people in charge of writing and putting the show on the air. They make the choices.
Definitely.

It's not the fans fault for wanting what they want. The people running the show just need to be smart. Corday isn't... obviously.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

The fans have a right to want what they want but you have to admit that even with an intelligent person at the helm, it would be difficult to deal with all the different types of fans who want different things or styles. There will always be people unhappy.

That is why no matter who is producer or head writer, I will always sympathize. That doesn't mean I excuse the shit writers do or what Corday does but I think it would still be a hard job regardless. I always say put yourselves in their shoes and examine the situation. I don't think anyone can begin to know unless they are actually in that position but it helps put things in perspective.

On the other hand, if Corday hadn't done half the shit he did in the past decade or so, the show may not have created the situation it's in so it does tie back to him.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Rhiannon

In a futile attempt to get TPTB to listen? I can't think of a specific time when any campaign I have been involved in worked so to speak. Mostly, I think, fans do it to show appreciation to the actors and writers if they do something you like and you want to see more of it. Rarely do you find out if it "worked".

Jiggs
Member Avatar

soapfan35
Feb 2 2009, 09:19 PM
Rhiannon

The first fan base I remember sending a gift that made an impact to someone other than the actors was the Mike & Carrie fans. They sent roses or something to SSM. They were very vocal and organized in their campaigning and it made their fan base seem bigger than it actually was. Suddenly C&M were the rooting couple and Austin was the odd man out. The show then decided if they could break up Austin & Carrie, they no super couple was safe.

Despite having contributed to many campaigns over the years I really don't think they work, and I don't think they should work as far as dictating story. The writer should have an understanding of the characters and know the boundaries that can be pushed. Unfortunately, the suits in charge force their focus group opinions on the show and combined with one bad head writer after another, no one ends up satisified.
You nailed it, as usual LOL

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply