Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stephen Nichols & Mary Beth Evans fired! UPDATE; Updated with last tape date info.
Topic Started: Feb 3 2009, 04:52 PM (16,856 Views)
daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 5 2009, 11:51 PM
Ives
Feb 5 2009, 11:44 PM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
Ok...I may be easier on the show then some but I don't think they think like that LOL.

I don't think they plan things like this out enough to even consider something like that. I do think they have been phasing the vets out since Tomlin took over for the most part but, as far as this exit goes, it's weird. Very weird.

I mean, really, what took them so long to axe them? They've had nothing to do for months. Corday threw them under the bus in that SOD interview in April 2007. Their return didn't bring in ratings. Nelson even wondered what took them so long as he said he heard about their being fired before Thaoo but just couldn't get confirmation. Now, they don't even tell them it's their last day, which is also weird, and they plan to keep them around rather then just mentioning they left town and accomplishing the same exact thing? It's just too strange. Really strange. It's almost like they weren't committed to doing it or something and then just decided on a whim but still aren't sure so they keep them around for whatever reason. It just makes no sense unless they have some sort of reason.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the show just let them fade away. No matter who's in charge they've done it a million times before, heck they've done it for over thirty years. Tommy Horton going up to his room and not coming back down for a few years, Don Craig never coming back from delivering that letter, Mickey dissappearing after 2006 until 2008....heck, in 2007 it happened to Jett, probably one of the more recent times Days did it.

It could be another Renee Jones case though, where they fire her and she randomly last airs(at the Shelle wedding) only just to pop up again a couple months later, returning to the show.

You may have a point when it comes to how it took so long to cut them, but I think Hogan and Ed Scott liked them(and then Higley or the strike writers, if they are not all the same person, seemed to like them for a few months), and they began to fade to the background after Joe's birth and then Tomlin came in. He may just have waited because they weren't sure of how much the budget would be slashed, then in November when it was official, they cut Drake and Deidre, and they could have just let the dusk settle there, with fans and the budget, to see how things would be. I mean, now I notice that almost IMMEDIATELY after J&M last aired, they started firing people again.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ives
Feb 5 2009, 11:59 PM
PhoenixRising05
Feb 5 2009, 11:51 PM

Just to clarify, me and other posters have only been speculating that SN and MBE were not told they were doing their last scenes (given the fact that they had already been filmed before the news broke about their firing). I have not heard from either SN or MBE that was necessarily the case.

Ah, ok. Good to know.

I still think it makes no sense to do it this way. We'll see what happens. I hope Stephen and Mary Beth talk about this publicly. Drake and Dee (well, she sort of did) didn't and I still have so many questions. I have just as many here so I hope they elaborate because that could help.

Ives
Member Avatar

Mason
Feb 5 2009, 11:54 PM
PhoenixRising05
Feb 5 2009, 11:47 PM
I mean, if they are so lazy, why do it this way? Why not just have someone mention they left town?
Maybe they think S&K fans will somehow be less pissed off if the characters were still "in" town. Who knows why they do the stupid things they do?
LOL I think the over 100 posters at the Sony Board who have signed on that they are not sticking with Days once SN and MBE leave would indicate their thinking is not working for a good number of S&K fans. Instead, it makes the fans feel disrespected and dissolves whatever good will they might have had.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 6 2009, 12:00 AM
I mean, Days rushes exits and it's exits usually suck but this just seems too strange to not have some sort of thinking behind it. I mentioned the reasoning and I just can't see why they can't still have them leave town offscreen. It's the exact same thing. It's just too deliberate not to have a reason behind it.
Oh, there's definitely a reason behind it.

They're thinking that Steve and Kayla have been such minor characters that if they just disappear one day, no one will notice. As for the fans who do enjoy the characters, I'm sure the show is just hoping to water down their angry reactions by not addressing the actors exits on-screen. In other words, they're just hoping that no one will notice -- no feathers ruffled, no angry calls, no backlash and no tuneouts. They want this done with as little noise as possible, because they know the show is being torn limb from limb and casual fans will start to notice.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Ellie
Feb 5 2009, 11:56 PM
Hasn't Days always been TERRIBLE at finessing the fact that certain characters aren't there when they should be? Isn't this the show that had Marlena in the secret room bathroom for a week? I think S&K's absence will be handled in this typical Days fashion and that there is no 'hidden plan' at all behind it.
They have but your comparing apples and oranges IMO. That Marlena thing was a minor issue.

This just seems...incomplete. I mean, Days rushes exits and it's exits usually suck but this just seems too strange to not have some sort of thinking behind it. I mentioned the reasoning and I just can't see why they can't still have them leave town offscreen. It's the exact same thing. It's just too deliberate not to have a reason behind it.
LOL I was just giving one example, but there are SO many other times Days has tried to brush aside the fact that characters are missing from scenes or even storylines. They've gotten quite good at it, in almost a funny way. I don't expect any different here. I agree with Kenny on this... I think the show is just thinking no one will notice or care.

Ives
Member Avatar

daysfan
Feb 6 2009, 12:01 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the show just let them fade away. No matter who's in charge they've done it a million times before, heck they've done it for over thirty years. Tommy Horton going up to his room and not coming back down for a few years, Don Craig never coming back from delivering that letter, Mickey dissappearing after 2006 until 2008....heck, in 2007 it happened to Jett, probably one of the more recent times Days did it.

No disrespect to the other characters (except maybe Jett), but I think it is a little different when you attempt that with a highly iconic, legacy supercouple.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Feb 6 2009, 12:08 AM
PhoenixRising05

LOL I was just giving one example, but there are SO many other times Days has tried to brush aside the fact that characters are missing from scenes or even storylines. They've gotten quite good at it, in almost a funny way. I don't expect any different here. I agree with Kenny on this... I think the show is just thinking no one will notice or care.
See, I don't think it's that simple and this is a much different situation.

If they wanted to do that, why wait? They had the perfect chance before they brought them back into the fold via this Bo and Hope story.

We barely saw them, if at all from late September through December. January saw Kayla being used more and now we are seeing Steve too. Spoilers have them on next week and the week after too. That works against phasing them out so no one will notice. They missed that chance and, again, that is why this is strange. They waited forever to drop the axe when they could've at any point in the past 6 months. If they had done it during that time, I could see your and Kenny's point but now, it doesn't make sense and I know Days does stupid shit like that but this reminds me an awful lot of what happened to Renee Jones. It's so open-ended when you could put somewhat of a lid on it by saying they left town. It just makes it easier for the show and if the show is so lazy, incompetent, etc why not take the easy route and just have Stephanie say her parents left with Joe? It's simpler and the same thing.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 6 2009, 12:17 AM
If they wanted to do that, why wait? They had the perfect chance before they brought them back into the fold via this Bo and Hope story.

We barely saw them, if at all from late September through December. If they had done it during that time, I could see your and Kenny's point but now, it doesn't make sense...
You're talking about Days of Our Lives here. Nothing makes sense.

This is the same show that signs people to a contract one day, then fires them the next. There is no rhyme or reason for what they do, except that when given the chance, TPTB will make the worst decisions possible.

Mason

Kenny
Feb 6 2009, 12:20 AM

This is the same show that signs people to a contract one day, then fires them the next. There is no rhyme or reason for what they do, except that when given the chance, TPTB will make the worst decisions possible.
Precisely. Trying to find a method to their madness will only serve to give you a headache. Because the truth is, there is none to be found.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
PhoenixRising05

We barely saw them, if at all from late September through December. If they had done it during that time, I could see your and Kenny's point but now, it doesn't make sense...

As stupid as they are, yes there is some rhyme or reason. It's just the wrong rhyme or reason LOL.

They have a method to their madness. It just may not be the right one. I think there is something here. I don't know what. Maybe it's just me. We'll see once we hear more but it's bugging me, just like it bugged me when RJ was axed twice and found her exits to be similar to this. I had the same feeling then and we'll see if it ends up going somewhere again.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Ellie
Feb 6 2009, 12:08 AM

See, I don't think it's that simple and this is a much different situation.

We barely saw them, if at all from late September through December. January saw Kayla being used more and now we are seeing Steve too. Spoilers have them on next week and the week after too. That works against phasing them out so no one will notice. They missed that chance and, again, that is why this is strange. They waited forever to drop the axe when they could've at any point in the past 6 months. If they had done it during that time, I could see your and Kenny's point but now, it doesn't make sense and I know Days does stupid shit like that but this reminds me an awful lot of what happened to Renee Jones. It's so open-ended when you could put somewhat of a lid on it by saying they left town. It just makes it easier for the show and if the show is so lazy, incompetent, etc why not take the easy route and just have Stephanie say her parents left with Joe? It's simpler and the same thing.
As I said before, I feel that they may have simply, using tactics or something else, timed out the cuts. I've noticed this time around with Tomlin/Whitesell, unlike with JER and Hogan, they haven't cut everyone all at once. The only people they first cut when they got here were Roscoe Borne and Kristen Renton. Then a few months later, they cut Drake, Deidre, and Blake. Then a couple months after that, they cut Thaao, Stephen, and Mary Beth. Normally by now, all of them would have been gone months ago.

Ives
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 6 2009, 12:26 AM
Kenny

Quoting limited to 2 levels deepNothing makes sense.

As stupid as they are, yes there is some rhyme or reason. It's just the wrong rhyme or reason LOL.

They have a method to their madness. It just may not be the right one. I think there is something here. I don't know what. Maybe it's just me. We'll see once we hear more but it's bugging me, just like it bugged me when RJ was axed twice and found her exits to be similar to this. I had the same feeling then and we'll see if it ends up going somewhere again.
One time Renee left, the characters on screen acknowledged that she was gone (they thought she left with her former lover whose name I forgetting right now, lol).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Feb 6 2009, 12:29 AM
PhoenixRising05

As I said before, I feel that they may have simply, using tactics or something else, timed out the cuts. I've noticed this time around with Tomlin/Whitesell, unlike with JER and Hogan, they haven't cut everyone all at once. The only people they first cut when they got here were Roscoe Borne and Kristen Renton. Then a few months later, they cut Drake, Deidre, and Blake. Then a couple months after that, they cut Thaao, Stephen, and Mary Beth. Normally by now, all of them would have been gone months ago.
Oh, I'm sure they timed the cuts out but something about this seemed off.

I felt they wanted to do this sometime ago but didn't. I mean, it's just strange. The whole thing is strange.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Ives
Feb 6 2009, 12:30 AM
PhoenixRising05

Quoting limited to 2 levels deepNothing
One time Renee left, the characters on screen acknowledged that she was gone (they thought she left with her former lover whose name I forgetting right now, lol).
Well I think Tim(and correct me if I'm wrong) may be referring to her second exit, which was....odd. She was fired in November of 07, last aired at the very end of the month at the Shelle wedding, and that was it until it was announced she was coming back in Janurary.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ives
PhoenixRising05

Yeah. They mentioned it in like two episodes and then we never heard a word about her until she returned. I think they never even told us what happened to Tek. Lexie didn't even seem to know.

After her second exit at Shelle's wedding, we didn't hear a thing about her until Christmas Day. Abe said she was just volunteering at the hospital and we never seen her.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I will always adore Stephen and Mary Beth, but Steve and Kayla have just NOT clicked this time around. Sometimes, you just can't create magic again. Reckell and Alfonso did, but they weren't off the show for 16 years.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Feb 6 2009, 12:33 AM
Ives

Well I think Tim(and correct me if I'm wrong) may be referring to her second exit, which was....odd. She was fired in November of 07, last aired at the very end of the month at the Shelle wedding, and that was it until it was announced she was coming back in Janurary.
Both were odd.

The first run was somewhat of an exit but left far too open-ended. I assumed she would be back anyway though. Corday practically said that much in an interview around that time, saying she had to pay for her crimes. It was the same shit he said about Lucas when he was sent off to jail for a few months.

The second run was really strange. I mean, that was just...I don't know what that was.

This whole thing with Steve and Kayla reminds me of both instances, especially the second one.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mikegoldy
Feb 6 2009, 12:36 AM
I will always adore Stephen and Mary Beth, but Steve and Kayla have just NOT clicked this time around. Sometimes, you just can't create magic again. Reckell and Alfonso did, but they weren't off the show for 16 years.
That and the story helped.

They basically had Bo and Hope and John and Marlena fall in love all over again in front of a slew of new fans with a whole new set of obstacles. That is what they should've did with Steve and Kayla. The setup was there but they rushed it and there was so many writing transitions and so much story changes that by the time they stabilized things, it was too late for them. Last winter and spring they seemed to finally be getting people to care about them but the Ava story got dropped and that was that.

Ives
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
To some extent, whether a couple has "clicked" is in the eye of the beholder. I still see the chemistry and connection but I understand others do not.

Even if they did not "click" as a couple to a portion of the viewers, does that mean the charactesr themselves have no use on the show or do they have to be package? I am asking this as somewhat of a rhetorical question but I guess I am genuinely curious.

I have been watching for over 2 1/2 years and, honestly, MOST of the new characters who have come on canvas have definitely not clicked for me. Nick was great but they took him off. And even in the case of EJ, whose character I had some interest in initially but not so much now after all of the yo-yoing with his characterization, I can recognize that James Scott is a talented actor. And EJ does have a lot of ties to the canvas of the show. The show should hang onto them.

In the same manner, even if someone does not like S&K as a couple, I don't think that means the characters are useless or need to be shipped off the show. I think the talent of SN and MBE, the rich histories of Steve and Kayla and the plethora of ties they have to the canvas of the show are good reasons why they should not be shipped off. IMO, Days needs to hold on to whatever acting talent it can, especially in the case where the actors take their performances seriously )and do not phone in their scenes) and care about their characters.
Edited by Ives, Feb 6 2009, 12:51 AM.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
I think one thing with Steve and Kayla was that they never really got a story....if they did it really didn't last that long or wasn't frontburner. They were just two of characters who were brought back that Corday expected to bring in ratings automatically, I think a problem with him is that he expects the presence of characters to just bring people back in flocks. And also, their return was hurt by the fact that right after it happened, there was the huge JER-Hogan transition. Hogan very quickly tied up the amnesia storyline, they reunited, and there was Billie for a short time, the brainwashing story which was screwed with, then just little stories or supporting roles(Pocket, wanting a baby, etc etc.). Then Ava, and that was about it. They never got the story they deserved, or a big story at all.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply