Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stephen Nichols & Mary Beth Evans fired! UPDATE; Updated with last tape date info.
Topic Started: Feb 3 2009, 04:52 PM (17,014 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Feb 6 2009, 12:59 AM
Mikegoldy
Feb 6 2009, 12:36 AM
I will always adore Stephen and Mary Beth, but Steve and Kayla have just NOT clicked this time around. Sometimes, you just can't create magic again. Reckell and Alfonso did, but they weren't off the show for 16 years.
I think one thing with Steve and Kayla was that they never really got a story....if they did it really didn't last that long or wasn't frontburner. They were just two of characters who were brought back that Corday expected to bring in ratings automatically, I think a problem with him is that he expects the presence of characters to just bring people back in flocks. And also, their return was hurt by the fact that right after it happened, there was the huge JER-Hogan transition. Hogan very quickly tied up the amnesia storyline, they reunited, and there was Billie for a short time, the brainwashing story which was screwed with, then just little stories or supporting roles(Pocket, wanting a baby, etc etc.). Then Ava, and that was about it. They never got the story they deserved, or a big story at all.
I think you touched on an excellent point and one that doesn't just apply to returnees but to vets currently on the show as well.

I think for the longest time he counted on veteran presence and big name returns alone to bring in numbers. I think all soaps do, outside of Y&R. I think that is part of the problem. They think the character or actor is enough and don't put enough effort into the story. We've seen this so many times in the last decade. It speaks to the very short-sighted view TPTB at all these shows have adopted. They think about the short-term and not the long-term. It's all about the quick fixes and what can stop the bleeding now and not enough about the long-term. Y&R avoided this for the most part except under LML and Days seems to be getting back to it now but they have a ways to go.

You use people because you have a reason. You bring people back because you have a reason. There needs to be a reason and a story in place or the idea just flops.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr. Chip

PhoenixRising05
Feb 5 2009, 11:18 PM
Steve and Kayla are much more vital characters then her so I can see them returning in some form. I mean, Mickey is one thing but Kayla is COS and a doctor.
Once upon a time, there was a doctor named Neil Curtis. He was involved with numerous storylines over the years. He was COS and a doctor. One day he said he had patients to see . . . many patients . . . and we never saw him again.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Dr. Chip
Feb 6 2009, 01:24 AM
PhoenixRising05
Steve and Kayla are much more vital characters then her so I can see them returning in some form. I mean, Mickey is one thing but Kayla is COS and a doctor.
Once upon a time, there was a doctor named Neil Curtis. He was involved with numerous storylines over the years. He was COS and a doctor. One day he said he had patients to see . . . many patients . . . and we never saw him again.
Yeah but I still think he was easier to phase out.

Steve and Kayla have a daughter onscreen who is involved in a big story. They have tons of family onscreen. It's just too messy.

Not to mention, Days hadn't set a precedent for bring back people after really open-ended exits. It did that with Renee Jones twice in one year. The way Days casting has gone in recent years and the weird way this all went down...there is reason to believe there is something more to it. Again, maybe it's just me. We'll see. Something just bugs me and the last time I felt this way was with Renee Jones both times and she came back. Doesn't mean it will happen or that I'm psychic but it does speak to the situation IMO and it's similarities. Something tells me something is up and we'll see what happens.

King
Member Avatar

When I called the characters useless, Ives, I meant that no writer has made use of them since they came back. So, if the show was to be without them, it wouldn't matter much. None of the writers have written a story for them that given them a tie to the core of the show.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Feb 6 2009, 01:51 AM
Not to mention, Days hadn't set a precedent for bring back people after really open-ended exits. It did that with Renee Jones twice in one year. The way Days casting has gone in recent years and the weird way this all went down...there is reason to believe there is something more to it. Again, maybe it's just me. We'll see. Something just bugs me and the last time I felt this way was with Renee Jones both times and she came back. Doesn't mean it will happen or that I'm psychic but it does speak to the situation IMO and it's similarities. Something tells me something is up and we'll see what happens.
Tim, I think another difference between the previous scenarios you mention (such as Renee Jones) and SN/MBE is that now, we know these cast cuts are coming at the same time as the 40% budget cut and the paycuts we've heard about for some other actors such as PR/KA. That was never the situation before.

siamesecougar
Member Avatar

Now I know Days PTBe are out of their collective minds or the economic crunch has them running scared.

They are gonna concentrate on the under 40 group except for Maggie having a few things to do with Chloe and Daniel and trying to teach Max's sister.

And Mia is not going to leave Nicole alone like she promised. Nicole is in a whopper of a position to be blackmailed by at least 2 people.

I'm noticing some of the other soaps are dropping characters, too.

Trickle-down economy problems are showing up everywhere now.

:peek:
Edited by siamesecougar, Feb 6 2009, 02:20 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Feb 6 2009, 02:15 AM
PhoenixRising05
Feb 6 2009, 01:51 AM
Tim, I think another difference between the previous scenarios you mention (such as Renee Jones) and SN/MBE is that now, we know these cast cuts are coming at the same time as the 40% budget cut and the paycuts we've heard about for some other actors such as PR/KA. That was never the situation before.
Actually, RJ's first firing was part of the last big cast cut. Yes, this one is different but SN and MBE took cuts when they came back. There are similarities still IMO.

As I said, we'll see. I know I'm the only one who is bugged by this and is thinking there is more to it. I just can't shake that feeling. I will either be lucky because I turn out right or look like a buffoon (which is nothing new LOL).

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Feb 6 2009, 02:36 AM
Actually, RJ's first firing was part of the last big cast cut. Yes, this one is different but SN and MBE took cuts when they came back. There are similarities still IMO.
Ok... I see this as 100% different, but we can agree to disagree! (Nothing new there!)

Quote:

As I said, we'll see. I know I'm the only one who is bugged by this and is thinking there is more to it. I just can't shake that feeling. I will either be lucky because I turn out right or look like a buffoon (which is nothing new LOL).
LOL! Listen, if they do come back, feel free to remind me and I will be more than happy to dig up your posts here and display them prominently in the S&K return thread. :smile:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Feb 6 2009, 02:41 AM
PhoenixRising05
Ok... I see this as 100% different, but we can agree to disagree! (Nothing new there!)

Quote:

LOL! Listen, if they do come back, feel free to remind me and I will be more than happy to dig up your posts here and display them prominently in the S&K return thread. :smile:
Nah. No need for that. I don't care if I'm proven right and you all are wrong. I just hope I am because I think it would be better all around for everyone.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Feb 6 2009, 02:44 AM
Nah. No need for that. I don't care if I'm proven right and you all are wrong. I just hope I am because I think it would be better all around for everyone.
Oh, absolutely!! Believe me, I hope you're right about this and D&D and whoever else you said might come back.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Ives
Feb 6 2009, 12:49 AM
Mikegoldy
I will always adore Stephen and Mary Beth, but Steve and Kayla have just NOT clicked this time around. Sometimes, you just can't create magic again. Reckell and Alfonso did, but they weren't off the show for 16 years.
To some extent, whether a couple has "clicked" is in the eye of the beholder. I still see the chemistry and connection but I understand others do not.

Even if they did not "click" as a couple to a portion of the viewers, does that mean the charactesr themselves have no use on the show or do they have to be package? I am asking this as somewhat of a rhetorical question but I guess I am genuinely curious.

I have been watching for over 2 1/2 years and, honestly, MOST of the new characters who have come on canvas have definitely not clicked for me. Nick was great but they took him off. And even in the case of EJ, whose character I had some interest in initially but not so much now after all of the yo-yoing with his characterization, I can recognize that James Scott is a talented actor. And EJ does have a lot of ties to the canvas of the show. The show should hang onto them.

In the same manner, even if someone does not like S&K as a couple, I don't think that means the characters are useless or need to be shipped off the show. I think the talent of SN and MBE, the rich histories of Steve and Kayla and the plethora of ties they have to the canvas of the show are good reasons why they should not be shipped off. IMO, Days needs to hold on to whatever acting talent it can, especially in the case where the actors take their performances seriously )and do not phone in their scenes) and care about their characters.
I agree with you about Steve and Kayla as individuals. But I don't think that most fans of them as a couple would have accepted them away from each other. The characters have history and add to the fabric of Salem. But as a package deal, I just don't think it works anymore.

Days4Life

Dr. Chip
Feb 6 2009, 01:24 AM
PhoenixRising05
I remember Neil Curtis! He was a big part of the show for a long time. I think it took me months to realize he was gone. I'm going to deliberately not tell my mom that Steve and Kayla are gone and see how long it takes her to ask me about them. She's not a big Kayla fan but likes Steve.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Well, this is terrible news for this Steve/Kayla fan. We go way back to the 80's together! I will miss them but I feel that their return has been completely wasted. What could have been had they been written better. That also goes for many others too. No matter which couple or character we like it is sad when they are let go. The times (and Days) they are a changing.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

It is sad to lose long time characters, and certainly the way the actors are being treated is awful. But for the show to move on and survive, they really do have to bring on the next generation of characters. To me, it never made sense to bring back 40ish and 50ish MBE and SN, and 60ish Penghalis, and while at the same time writing out characters like Austin, Carrie, Shawn, and Belle, and losing an actress like Martha Madison. But this show never makes sense lol For the first time, I think they are making the right decisions (doing it in the worst way though.) Now is the time to bring in new young members of the Horton family, bring back Martha or Christie (they would come back for peanuts I bet), something to give the show a bump.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
See, I think the others would return for similar reasons too. SN, MBE, etc...I see them all returning for their fans. Maybe your right though. I do remember MBE refusing to come back for Zack's baptism when asked because she felt a short two episode run was not worth it so maybe they wouldn't. I just think that they would return and that it just depend on what it was for and what was going on.
I remember that interview, too. She said she wouldn't come back just to hang a Horton ornament; it would have to be a story and a contract.

I'm not sure if I see them coming back. Part of the yin/yang of being away for so many years, compared to DH and DH, is that they each had success elsewhere. Nichols must have been at GH for six or seven years, off and on, and Evans not only had similar stretches at GH and ATWT, but also almost had a character created for her at OLTL before she signed her ATWT contract. The climate is different than it was five years ago and they're both older, but I don't think it's a given that they would come back to Days to do recurring roles.
Edited by granolagirl, Feb 6 2009, 07:16 PM.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 6 2009, 12:32 AM
Oh, I'm sure they timed the cuts out but something about this seemed off.

I felt they wanted to do this sometime ago but didn't. I mean, it's just strange. The whole thing is strange.
I've been wondering about the timing of the cuts, vis a vis the renewal negotiations. Maybe the amount of money they were getting from NBC was really in flux, and they just couldn't plan ahead and figure out what the landscape would look like until the deal was actually sealed.

Although it seems like a sure bet that it would be *less*.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
I'm a newer fan, and I found enough about them to love to turn Days from occasional sick day viewing to must see tv, at least through last spring.

I do remember when Hope first came back, and half the audience hated her for coming between Bo and Billie and for getting RKK fired. It took a long time for most people to accept B/H again, and it seemed like they were almost destroyed again after what Reilly did to them in 2006. But they were rehabilitated both times, because they were given time and writing, something S&K didn't have the benefit of after the Ava trainwreck. I think the conventional wisdom on B/H varies from year to year and storyline to storyline.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Feb 6 2009, 07:41 PM
Mikegoldy
I'm a newer fan, and I found enough about them to love to turn Days from occasional sick day viewing to must see tv, at least through last spring.

I do remember when Hope first came back, and half the audience hated her for coming between Bo and Billie and for getting RKK fired. It took a long time for most people to accept B/H again, and it seemed like they were almost destroyed again after what Reilly did to them in 2006. But they were rehabilitated both times, because they were given time and writing, something S&K didn't have the benefit of after the Ava trainwreck. I think the conventional wisdom on B/H varies from year to year and storyline to storyline.
The difference is, is that when Peter Reckell returned as Bo, and KA and PR were reunited on screen, the ratings were at #2, and they were #1 in demos. The characters of Bo and Hope were on from 1983-1987, Hope was on in 1990, and when Reckell left the show in 1992, RKK kept the character of Bo alive (and thus Hope), until KA returned in 1994, and Reckell in 1995. Steve and Kayla were off the show for 16 years and hardly ever referenced on screen. They just weren't relevent on a show anymore that was 100% different from the show they had once been a part of.

Ives
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05

Well, here is to hoping you are lucky. I will send a virutal four leaf clover your way and look for a penny to pick up in your name. :smile:

pnelsen

I will miss Steve and Kayla. I won't miss the "Days of Our Lives" the new generation. I think it stinks. When they leave I will be gone. I can't stand the writing any longer. Last year at this time we had that Great Plane crash. That was the last good writing they had in my opinion.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply