Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stephen Nichols & Mary Beth Evans fired! UPDATE; Updated with last tape date info.
Topic Started: Feb 3 2009, 04:52 PM (17,045 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Not suprised, but this is ridiculous. They are getting rid of the wrong people.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lene
Member Avatar

Well.... this sucks!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Ponz
Feb 3 2009, 05:07 PM
DrewHamilton
Feb 3 2009, 05:03 PM
What is Tomlin doing to this show?
Not much he can do if Higley refuses to write for them.
Come on now. We all know that an EP can make the writer write for a particlular character or characters. Tomlin is making wise financial decisions, however, he's stirpping this show of anything that makes it resemble its former self.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

This is sad news. Even if they weren't being written for, it was nice to know Steve and Kayla were around. SN and MBE are talented and appealing and they could have had great story. I'm sad for them, and sad for their fans. I was expecting it, but I still don't like seeing it confirmed.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Call me crazy, but I think Higley likes Steve and Kayla....she never wrote some mega story for them, but the first thing she did when she got here was give them a story. Probably the most notable story they've had from when they returned, even if it wasn't huge and only lasted for a couple months.

Of course then again, they did nothing under her after the Ava stuff ended....

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I wish I could say this is a surprise, but it's not. But in the end, it won't make much of a difference. Steve and Kayla have hardly ever been interesting or written properly since their return.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

daysfan
Feb 3 2009, 05:10 PM
Call me crazy, but I think Higley likes Steve and Kayla....she never wrote some mega story for them, but the first thing she did when she got here was give them a story. Probably the most notable story they've had from when they returned, even if it wasn't huge and only lasted for a couple months.

Ehh. I don't think the Ava storyline was all her. I think that was more the strike writers and she just concluded it, which she does great. She's great at ending other people's stories. That's where she excells and that's the reason she should be on a writing team and not the show's head writer.

jules

I heard a while ago that NBC wants basically an all new show (like the Next Generation or something like that). Days doesn't care about what was always the basic fabric of the show...family ties, generational stories, super couples, great romances etc. I know some are all excited about this, but it's not even Days of Our Lives anymore. It just any other show.

lene
Member Avatar

SN and MBE fired, but they are still keeping crap actors like Shawn Christian and Nadia Bjorlin? LMAO!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

jules
Feb 3 2009, 05:13 PM
I heard a while ago that NBC wants basically an all new show (like the Next Generation or something like that). Days doesn't care about what was always the basic fabric of the show...family ties, generational stories, super couples, great romances etc. I know some are all excited about this, but it's not even Days of Our Lives anymore. It just any other show.
I don't believe that's what is happening. I think that NBC wants TPTB to focus on the next generation of characters, which isn't anything surprising or new. All of the networks encourage this. I don't think the network is ordering them to fire all of their older characters and introduce new ones. If that was the case, it would've been done years ago when NBC actually had the two other soaps that were favored by the young crowd.

These cuts are all for financial reasons. Tomlin wants to help the budget and he's doing a good job at it. Unforunately, we're losing fan favorites as a result of keeping our show on the air.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Feb 3 2009, 05:05 PM
This show's not even recognizable anymore.
Corday has given up on making the show recognizable. He doesn't even care if the show is watchable anymore. He's in strict panic mode -- like a swimmer who's drowning. He's not thinking rationally, his brain is in overload. He's just scurrying around like a madman, looking for anything he can cling to in order to keep from going under.

This show isn't Days of Our Lives anymore. It's a whole new product and they've just given it the same name.

Ives
Member Avatar

Ponz
DrewHamilton
Feb 3 2009, 05:03 PM
What is Tomlin doing to this show?
Not much he can do if Higley refuses to write for them.
Exactly.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 3 2009, 05:16 PM
DrewHamilton
Feb 3 2009, 05:05 PM
This show's not even recognizable anymore.
Corday has given up on making the show recognizable. He doesn't even care if the show is watchable anymore. He's in strict panic mode -- like a swimmer who's drowning. He's not thinking rationally, his brain is in overload. He's just scurrying around like a madman, looking for anything he can cling to in order to keep from going under.
And that's why Tomlin's there. He's an actual Executive Producer that knows how to do his job and manage the show that he's in charge of and keep it on the air. And that's what he's doing.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

If that is the case, do you guys feel it should have just easily ended anyway? I mean, we are losing people we love on the show...actors we want to stay, but yet we are continuing to watch the dribble anyway. Call me crazy, but I guess I am not understanding it all.

wkline
Member Avatar

Could someone give me a grouphug I'm really upset!! :frown: :frown:
Edited by wkline, Feb 3 2009, 05:22 PM.

jules

DrewHamilton
Feb 3 2009, 05:15 PM
jules
Feb 3 2009, 05:13 PM
I don't believe that's what is happening. I think that NBC wants TPTB to focus on the next generation of characters, which isn't anything surprising or new. All of the networks encourage this. I don't think the network is ordering them to fire all of their older characters and introduce new ones. If that was the case, it would've been done years ago when NBC actually had the two other soaps that were favored by the young crowd.

These cuts are all for financial reasons. Tomlin wants to help the budget and he's doing a good job at it. Unforunately, we're losing fan favorites as a result of keeping our show on the air.
You can believe it or not. That's what I heard.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Yes, I want the show to continue because miracles do happen. Maybe, at some point, this show will realize what's wrong and make the changes necessary to improve. It happens a lot in television and it can happen on DAYS.

Ponz
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Feb 3 2009, 05:09 PM
Ponz

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
Come on now. We all know that an EP can make the writer write for a particlular character or characters.

Ed Scott thought the same thing.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Feb 3 2009, 05:17 PM
And that's why Tomlin's there. He's an actual Executive Producer that knows how to do his job and manage the show that he's in charge of and keep it on the air. And that's what he's doing.
Oh, he's absolutely helping the show's budget. But at what cost?

It pains me more to watch this show be pulled limb from limb and be written into the ground than it would to just end it while there's still some semblance of familiarity.

Ives
Member Avatar

daysfan
Feb 3 2009, 05:10 PM

Whatever it started out as, IMO, the story was really all about Ava. We learned more about her past and her reactions and feelings than Steve and Kayla's.

SN and MBE fought hard to get some conclusion for S&K. It happened 2 months later - pretty much thanks to Ed Scott - and they pretty much got NOTHING after that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply