Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOD: Interview with James Scott and Ari Zucker; Feb 17th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Feb 4 2009, 07:57 PM (22,221 Views)
FanODays

Ponz
Feb 5 2009, 10:14 AM
JANALH
Feb 5 2009, 09:28 AM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deeptotally different people to try to push this story, and it didn't work for me!
In EJ's case, relative to what? He was introduced as the charmer with a dark side, morphed into the town psychopath and was instantly whitewashed into Mr Mom/Caroline Brady's BFF. The phrase "out of character" makes no sense when he/she has had no fixed identity over any prolonged period. "In character" is pretty much whatever the current writer says it is.
Good point and given all of the things that EJ has done, he should not be the first one to throw a stone at Nicole (nor should Sami). EJ raped Sami in order to get her pregnant the first time and while Nicole is wrong on so very many levels, she has not resorted to that level of violence.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Hmmm...I've had the priviledge of attending a few fan events to see James Scott and I'd be very curious to see where he did his 'polling' because that has not been the outcome anywhere that I've seen him. In fact, it has been quite the opposite. The fan reaction of any mention of EJ and Nicole were boos - so much that he even made the comment "Doesn't ANYONE like EJ and Nicole together?" So unless something has changed dramatically in the past couple of months, I just don't understand how he can say it's close. And let's see - in the past couple of months Nicole has suffered a miscarriage but conspired to keep it from him, has completely gone behind his back manipulating everyone she can to secure what she wants, and then proceeded to dump another baby like yesterday's trash so she could steal his daughter with Samantha and present to him as their own. My guess is the EJ/Nicole fan base isn't flourishing under the present writing. It's pretty clear where the story is headed - and all signs point to EJami.

I like both James Scott and Ari Zucker as actors very much - but I just don't care for them as a pairing because in order to pull it off they've taken all the qualities that made EJ such a compelling character and thrown them under the bus at Nicole's hand. He has basically become the Austin to Nicole's Sami which is a tragedy. I hope for both of their sakes they end this train wreck of a story very soon so both actors can move in to a story more worthy of their talents.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Daytime
Member Avatar

Wow, they really lay it on thick. I have never seen this much pimping of a couple since Lumi. I don't care what anybody says, Ejami fans are the one that gets stabbed in the back. Its like they want us to give up or something. At least other couples has had a real chance.
Offline Profile Goto Top

FanODays

SocRMum1
Feb 5 2009, 10:32 AM
Hmmm...I've had the priviledge of attending a few fan events to see James Scott and I'd be very curious to see where he did his 'polling' because that has not been the outcome anywhere that I've seen him. In fact, it has been quite the opposite. The fan reaction of any mention of EJ and Nicole were boos - so much that he even made the comment "Doesn't ANYONE like EJ and Nicole together?" So unless something has changed dramatically in the past couple of months, I just don't understand how he can say it's close. And let's see - in the past couple of months Nicole has suffered a miscarriage but conspired to keep it from him, has completely gone behind his back manipulating everyone she can to secure what she wants, and then proceeded to dump another baby like yesterday's trash so she could steal his daughter with Samantha and present to him as their own. My guess is the EJ/Nicole fan base isn't flourishing under the present writing. It's pretty clear where the story is headed - and all signs point to EJami.

I like both James Scott and Ari Zucker as actors very much - but I just don't care for them as a pairing because in order to pull it off they've taken all the qualities that made EJ such a compelling character and thrown them under the bus at Nicole's hand. He has basically become the Austin to Nicole's Sami which is a tragedy. I hope for both of their sakes they end this train wreck of a story very soon so both actors can move in to a story more worthy of their talents.
I disagree that the storyline is pointing to EJami, remember, Sami has kept the fact that she had his child from him.

I couldn't tell you how these stories are going to play out because I see a strong possibility of Lumi and Bricole so who is left for EJ or is he next on Higley/Corday's hit list? Maybe he's the one who kills Tony for being disloyal to the DiMera family.
Offline Profile Goto Top

aimees76
Member Avatar

If the Ejami fan base could "flourish" during the rape/stalking/torture, then I think it's safe to say that the EJOLE fan base can flourish during a fake pregnancy/baby switch.

I loved the interview, and I love Ejole, and I have hope that they will make it! Sounds like JS and AZ are hoping the same :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

FanODays
Feb 5 2009, 10:50 AM
SocRMum1

I disagree that the storyline is pointing to EJami, remember, Sami has kept the fact that she had his child from him.

I couldn't tell you how these stories are going to play out because I see a strong possibility of Lumi and Bricole so who is left for EJ or is he next on Higley/Corday's hit list? Maybe he's the one who kills Tony for being disloyal to the DiMera family.
You could be right, particularly considering James Scott has not yet signed a new contract and I believe his current one is done in May. At least he hasn't been resigned that I know of...

Regardless of what happens with EJ, though I don't see a Lumi reunion in the future. If anything it seems obvious to me they are moving toward a Sami/Rafe pairing. And Bricole does seem to be an obvious future pairing, I agree.

I do think the story being written is EJami's story - but they have allowed themselves escape routes with the other pairings depending on what happens with James and coming to terms on a new contract. I don't think EJami will happen any time soon - but I think it will eventually come back to them once Nicole's deceptions are uncovered and Sami's baby is returned to her. EJ will be angry with Sami - rightfully so. But I think eventually EJami will reunite if both actors stick around. And the show stays on the air. None of those 'ifs' are sure bets these days, though. :unsure:
Offline Profile Goto Top

aimees76
Member Avatar

It sounds to me like JS and AZ were basically saying that EJole was started as a way to pimp Ejami, but they turned out to be so well-liked, that they changed directions. So I am not inclined to believe that this is an Ejami story at all ... it may have started out that way, but for awhile now it has been something different.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

SocRMum1

the fifty fifty doesn't surprise me - the reason is that Lumi and EJami basically ran fifty fifty forever and many of the lumi fans are now ejole fans ... or better yet anti-ejami fans!

I can't get over some of the ejami fans going after James about this article ... there is nothing earth shattering he never said that he preferred Ejole over Ejami.... or that he liked acting with Ari over Ali. He and Ari were both open and honest about the current s/l and how it all got to this place. I think that they are both great actors and that no matter who they are paired with it is their job to try and make it work ... Ali had glowing things to say about Galen. We have all read how much Ali love to work with Bryan. Ari and Ali have said many times how they love to work together. Ari had great things to say about Eric. I personally like it when the actors like each other and give each other praise.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for typing this up Ellie. :)

There was way too much spinning and BS shoveling in this interview for my taste, but I suppose that's what actors get paid to do.

Nice to see Sami's name mentioned several times. I love that she is a thorn in this faux couples side. Hopefully this little plot point will be over soon.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I dont think pairing Sami w/EJ is worthy of his talent. I think he likes this current SL and EJ will be immersed in HIS family SL....now I would think that would negate the EJami pairing because we've been hit w/the "EJ's family is evil anvil all these months.
Liz
Offline Profile Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

aimees76
Feb 5 2009, 11:01 AM
It sounds to me like JS and AZ were basically saying that EJole was started as a way to pimp Ejami, but they turned out to be so well-liked, that they changed directions. So I am not inclined to believe that this is an Ejami story at all ... it may have started out that way, but for awhile now it has been something different.
But do you think that if TPTB were serious about EJole as a long-term couple, they would have given them the storyline that's currently playing out? Wouldn't Nicole have carried the baby to term, or she does miscarry and she tells EJ the truth?

I know these writers are bad, but I would like to think they have some morsel of common sense left.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

Any Actress on this show should ask to be written opposite James Scott - why you get the better material - you go front burner and you get the "buzz". I think AS and AZ are better actresses because of it!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

mbdimera
Feb 5 2009, 11:09 AM
aimees76
But do you think that if TPTB were serious about EJole as a long-term couple, they would have given them the storyline that's currently playing out? Wouldn't Nicole have carried the baby to term, or she does miscarry and she tells EJ the truth?

I know these writers are bad, but I would like to think they have some morsel of common sense left.
Let's turn that question around: do you think that if the writers intended to put EJ and Sami together as a long-term couple they would have had her concealing his child from him, with the intention that be a permanent state? And I'm quite sure AS's real-life pregnancy had a huge impact on what they decided to do.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Ponz
Feb 5 2009, 10:14 AM
JANALH
Feb 5 2009, 09:28 AM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deeptotally different people to try to push this story, and it didn't work for me!
In EJ's case, relative to what? He was introduced as the charmer with a dark side, morphed into the town psychopath and was instantly whitewashed into Mr Mom/Caroline Brady's BFF. The phrase "out of character" makes no sense when he/she has had no fixed identity over any prolonged period. "In character" is pretty much whatever the current writer says it is.
Irregardless of whether we may differ on how we have seen EJ portrayed since his arrival, a couple of things had stayed constant. EJ was smart and EJ was witty. You can't say that now. He's been dumbed down to play this storyline. True, different writers have changed him to suit their needs, but up until this storyline he was NEVER dumb. I can't stomach dumb EJ.

I'm glad he was pulled back from the "psychopath" character that Hogan started out with, that extreme of a character had no longevity. That's precisely why they changed him. JS was too popular to feed to the wolves at that point. I think they went to far making him weak during the first part of 2008, but even in his weakness, he was never stupid. He was always one step ahead.

I agree with SocRmum, he's looking a WHOLE lot like Austin right now!! :puke:
Offline Profile Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Paxton
Feb 5 2009, 11:12 AM
mbdimera

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
Let's turn that question around: do you think that if the writers intended to put EJ and Sami together as a long-term couple they would have had her concealing his child from him, with the intention that be a permanent state? And I'm quite sure AS's real-life pregnancy had a huge impact on what they decided to do.
It's easier to work around it because it can always be said that Sami has a legitimate fear of Stefano. I don't know how when this all comes out, EJole is a viable couple. Now some will say the same about EJami because of Sami's lies, and that's fine.

All I know for sure is that at the end of the day, Sami had EJ's child and Nicole did not.
Offline Profile Goto Top

aimees76
Member Avatar

mbdimera
aimees76

No, not really, since that would make them live "happily ever after", and there's no drama in that. They had to give them some major obstacles and challenges to overcome.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

mbdimera
Feb 5 2009, 11:20 AM
Paxton
Feb 5 2009, 11:12 AM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
It's easier to work around it because it can always be said that Sami has a legitimate fear of Stefano. I don't know how when this all comes out, EJole is a viable couple. Now some will say the same about EJami because of Sami's lies, and that's fine.

All I know for sure is that at the end of the day, Sami had EJ's child and Nicole did not.
Exactly. Ultimately when the truth comes out Sami will be reunited with her daughter and EJ and Sami will remain in each other's orbit - working through the issues from the fall out. Once this is all said and done I think it is unlikely EJ and Nicole will share much of anything - including screen time.

Do I think they could have gone about this a better way? Absolutely! It was a horrible writing choice to have Sami hide her pregnancy from EJ based on her 'fear' of his family - particularly considering that Johnny is living there with them in the DiMansion. And to have Sami consider giving her baby to the orphanage, even temporarily, is just awful. I'm still holding out some hope they won't go through with that particular plot point but time will tell.

My guess is this storyline was a direct result of Ali Sweeney's real life pregnancy and her desire to have her pregnancy written in to Sami's story. I think in the interest of having a reason to explain her absense while she's on her real life maternity leave they set all of this up and basically have removed her from interactions with all of the regular "Salem" characters. Again - I think they could have done something much more compelling in order to accomplish this - but they didn't ask me for my opinion on that first. :rolleyes:
Offline Profile Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

I am an EJ fan first and foremost and I just want the better story to be told for my character .... The best story IMO is not EJ having a lovestory with Nicole - the best story is a lovestory with EJ and Sami. Nicole is a Walker and she is a grifter there is no drama in an EJ and Nicole lovestory. The Drama lies with a lovestory between a DiMera and a Brady and the family that they produce.
Edited by cjknick, Feb 5 2009, 11:36 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

cjknick
Feb 5 2009, 11:35 AM
I am an EJ fan first and foremost and I just want the better story to be told for my character .... The best story IMO is not EJ having a lovestory with Nicole - the best story is a lovestory with EJ and Sami. Nicole is a Walker and she is a grifter there is no drama in an EJ and Nicole lovestory. The Drama lies with a lovestory between a DiMera and a Brady and the family that they produce.
You know, I would've thought I was an EJ fan first, but this storyline has shown me that I'm not. I've discovered I'm just an ole romantic at heart. I love a good love story. I think that's why I started with Days back in the 80's in the first place. Sorry, but Ejole, Ecoli, or whatever name they go by, is not a love story. I don't think these writers can produce a good story, let alone a good love story.

Given, if Days had some good writers, the Dimera/Brady lovestory could be something worth watching. Right now, nothing on Days is worth watching, not even EJ.
Offline Profile Goto Top

aimees76
Member Avatar

cjknick
Feb 5 2009, 11:35 AM
I disagree, I think there is plenty of drama in an Ejole lovestory. Also, I really do not think the Dimera/Brady thing matters anymore ... since Tony will be leaving, and J&M are gone, and EJ isn't the "bad" Dimera soldier anymore, and Stefano has been pretty harmless for some time now ... there just isn't any conflict to be played. For a long time Sami's family were being written as supportive of "whatever" she was supposedly feeling for EJ, so I just do not see the Brady/Dimera conflicted-dramatic-lovestory that some want, and I admit, could have been a good story in the very beginning. That opportunity is long lost, IMO. I think that there is plenty of drama to be played between EJ and Nicole. If couples were only interesting and stories were only good if the families opposed each other, then we wouldn't have any worthy couples on the show (or potentially worthy).
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic