Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: SN/MBE/TP fired, Melvin Quits! Corday speaks.; Feb 24th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Feb 11 2009, 11:34 AM (16,101 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD features an interview with Ken Corday about the recent firings.

- Corday says about Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans: "They're not leaving Salem. They're not dying. They're just not going to be on the air. You might see one or both of them pop up on other episodes, but it's not going to be a significant exit."

- Corday explains that "there is only so much airtime". He says that if the show were "cash richer", they would have kept Nichols and Evans, but "if you keep people with that much history, regardless of how much they make, they should be in story." Corday explains that because of the financial restrictions on the show, only so many people can have story, so he had "some hard choices to make".

- Nichols and Evans have already taped their last shows.

- Thaao Penghlis was out of the country doing mission work when he found out that Tony would be written out. "I've spent over 20 years on that show, and a producer from Passions came in with a vision, and all I can say is I'm in good company," he says.

- Penghlis will be in a big story before he leaves. His last tape date is March 4th.

- Corday was asked about whether the age of those fired played a role. Corday says no. "Maggie has more story, Caroline has more story, Stefano and Victor have more story, so it's not an ageist thing." He says it's not true that the "old guard" is leaving Days; he says Bo and Hope aren't going anywhere and that they have a story and "that will continue". He acknowledges the show is losing "two huge couples", but "in their place, you'll be seeing appearances by other veteran cast members."

- Rachel Melvin has given her notice and will be leaving when her contract expires this spring. Corday says, "I called her and I applauded her move." He told her it hurts to lose her and that the character will not be recast; the door remains open for her return. He also told her that "it's time for you to spread your wings, and I want to see you in feature films and big television". Corday says he's sad to lose her because they had a "warm and fuzzy" storyline with Max and Chelsea, but Darin Brooks is staying and they will find Max another love interest.

- Corday was asked about the report that he "hates" Drake and Deidre. He says that nothing could be further from the truth - "I love them both." He says "it was never a personal thing" and he considers them "lifelong friends". He hopes their paths cross again.

- Corday says regarding the possibility of more cuts: "We're done." This week, Corday will address the cast and crew and hand out t-shirts with a special message. He is going to tell them that this week their new contract with NBC starts, "and the difficult, onerous, painful bloodletting of this transition is over."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Oh my fuck! Rachel's leaving?! Well there goes the one actress in the twenties set with actual talent. Sigh...first Berris and now Melvin. Damn it, why couldn't it have been Brooks and Hennig instead?

Meanwhile, I LOVE Thaao's quote about Tomlin "the Passions producer". HAHA!
Edited by Mason, Feb 11 2009, 11:40 AM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Feb 11 2009, 11:34 AM

- Rachel Melvin has given her notice and will be leaving when her contract expires this spring. Corday says, "I called her and I applauded her move." He told her it hurts to lose her and that the character will not be recast; the door remains open for her return. He also told her that "it's time for you to spread your wings, and I want to see you in feature films and big television". Corday says he's sad to lose her because they had a "warm and fuzzy" storyline with Max and Chelsea, but Darin Brooks is staying and they will find Max another love interest.
I would much, much rather keep RM and get rid of DB. I wonder if that means they'll cast a new love interest for Max, because who else is available? He is the most useless character to me.

Mason

I'm convinced we'll never be rid of Max until or unless Brooks decides to leave on his own - which I pray is sooner rather than later.

Shylock

Quote:

- Corday says about Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans: "They're not leaving Salem. They're not dying. They're just not going to be on the air. You might see one or both of them pop up on other episodes, but it's not going to be a significant exit."
So, basically, like John & Marlena?

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie!

No more cuts! Wow! I expected more!

Faye

Corday sucks.

peaches179

Faye
Feb 11 2009, 11:44 AM
Corday sucks.

LOL! That about sums it up.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

i'm not surpised about rachel, but i'm sorry to see her go. they haven't really done anything with the max/chelsea storyline so i don't see how anyone could have expected her to stay. she definitely has talent, so i wish her the best with her career.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Must it even be said? Ken Corday is a colossal idiot.

It's such a shame that Steve and Kayla aren't even being given an exit story, but then again, after seeing what was written for J&M's exit, perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.

LMAO @ Thaao Penghlis referring to Gary Tomlin as the "Passions producer!" I guess that says it all, no?

I'm sad that Rachel Melvin is leaving. She's such a great talent and she's also one of the few young characters that I've actually enjoyed over the last few years. I don't blame her for abandoning ship though. It's going down faster than the Titanic and anyone who's smart would make the leap sooner rather than later.

As for Max and his new love interest, color me uninterested. I'm so not looking forward to any of that. Then again, I'm not watching anyway, LoL.

I hate this show.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

He gave out tee shirts to the cast .... I wonder what they said ...

"I took a pay cut and all I got was this losey tee shirt"

"I survived but Deidre didn't"

"Eighteen more months till unemployment"
Edited by cjknick, Feb 11 2009, 12:07 PM.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Thanks Ellie. Who got the cover?

Good for Thaao for putting the blame on Tomlin. The show has sucked since he got hired. I don't get why Corday had to call him in Cuba instead of waiting until he came back.

Color me confused. No more firings even though there's tons of useless characters on the show. They should fire Darin when Rachel leaves. Max is completely useless. I hated all his relationships with his nieces. That's a shame. Rachel and Blake were the best actors of that age group, but they got tossed aside for awful actors like Darin and Molly.

Yes it's an ageist thing. MBE was the youngest actor in her late 40s.

Kenny
Member Avatar

cjknick
Feb 11 2009, 11:53 AM
He gave out tee shirts to the cast .... I wonder what they said ...

"I took a pay cut and all I got with this losey tee shirt"

"I survived but Deidre didn't"

"Eighteen more months till unemployment"
LMAO!

MCKELLY

Bye Rachel - good luck!

I'm sure Max will find another cousin to molest. Ciara will probably be 18 by Spring.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

He is gonna give them T-Shirts with a SPECIAL Message? WTF Corday....I would throw that sh!t back in his face.

MCKELLY

Excuse me, niece, not cousin to molest.

Mason

hoochielicious
Feb 11 2009, 11:54 AM
Good for Thaao for putting the blame on Tomlin. The show has sucked since he got hired. I don't get why Corday had to call him in Cuba instead of waiting until he came back.
'Cause Corday has neither the balls nor the class to fire him in person.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Wow, Rachel's gone this Spring?! And it almost seems like Corday couldn't care!

I wonder if we'll see Stephen and Mary Beth back on recurring(maybe Tim was right in his theory)...though at the same time, Corday speaks like they're leaving but they're not. Once again, contradicting himself!

How interesting.

Kenny
Member Avatar

hoochielicious
Yes it's an ageist thing. MBE was the youngest actor in her late 40s.
Absolutely.

Corday can say anything he wants, but randomly throwing Maggie and Caroline on the screen as props for the younger characters is no kind of replacement for characters like John, Marlena, Steve, Kayla and Tony. I don't believe for one second that Maggie and Caroline will actually have stories of their own or suitable airtime to fill the gap left by all the exits.

Ellie

hoochielicious
Thanks Ellie. Who got the cover?
The cover is split between 7 pictures (of actors on many soaps) with the words "OUT! SHOCKING EXITS" written across some of them. From Days, SN/MBE have the largest picture, but TP and RM are also shown. On Thaao's picture it says "His farewell letter to fans" - SOD also printed his guestbook post that I think you posted here a week or so ago. (That's why I didn't include it in my summary, because we already saw it.)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply