Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: SN/MBE/TP fired, Melvin Quits! Corday speaks.; Feb 24th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Feb 11 2009, 11:34 AM (16,169 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Feb 11 2009, 11:56 AM
hoochielicious
Feb 11 2009, 11:54 AM
Good for Thaao for putting the blame on Tomlin. The show has sucked since he got hired. I don't get why Corday had to call him in Cuba instead of waiting until he came back.
'Cause Corday has neither the balls nor the class to fire him in person.
Yup. This man has a history of losing his balls when it comes to doing the right thing.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

daysfan
Feb 11 2009, 11:58 AM
Wow, Rachel's gone this Spring?! And it almost seems like Corday couldn't care!
I bet if it were Shelley Hennig or Nadia Bjorlin, he'd be offering the moon and the stars for them to stay.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Kenny
hoochielicious
Yes it's an ageist thing. MBE was the youngest actor in her late 40s.
Absolutely.

Corday can say anything he wants, but randomly throwing Maggie and Caroline on the screen as props for the younger characters is no kind of replacement for characters like John, Marlena, Steve, Kayla and Tony. If don't believe for one second that Maggie and Caroline will actually have stories of their own or suitable airtime to fill the gap left by all the exits.
Agree.

I just can't get over the T-shirts thing. Is he kidding?? What is this, kindergarten?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Nubia
Feb 11 2009, 11:55 AM
He is gonna give them T-Shirts with a SPECIAL Message? WTF Corday....I would throw that sh!t back in his face.
LoL, it's the definition of tacky!

After all this, he honestly expects a t-shirt to heal the wounds and fix the low morale? Pssh! Where's my shirt for having to watch my favorite show be torn apart piece by piece?

He must think his cast is a bunch of six year olds. I wonder if he'll buy them a candy snack, too? Maybe a foo-foo and a DVD copy of Yo Gabba Gabba.

wkline
Member Avatar

That's aload of shit!! Dena didn't want to write for Steve and Kayla!! And now he's handing out t-shirts!! :flipoff:

Mason
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 11 2009, 12:00 PM
I just can't get over the T-shirts thing. Is he kidding?? What is this, kindergarten?
Seriously. What's he gonna say? "I know your workplace is a total hellhole nightmare at the moment, but HERE! Have a T-shirt!"?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Feb 11 2009, 12:01 PM
Seriously. What's he gonna say? "I know your workplace is a total hellhole nightmare at the moment, but HERE! Have a T-shirt!"?
LoL! I love it.

The shirt should say "Wipe Ass Here."

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

For whatever reason someone either thinks DB or the character of Max is the greatest thing in the world. I don't get either observation. So unless DB decides to leave, Max will be around.

Good Luck to Rachel. She is young and talented. Hate to say it but Days is a sinking ship and good for her taking a step forward in her career.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Oh, and I think there has to be some bad blood between Days and Drake/Deidre. I mean, I expected him to act like they'll be back or somehow make it look good to calm fans, but all he really said was that he loved them and *hoped* to somehow cross paths with them.

And what more story does Caroline have?

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Ellie
hoochielicious
Thanks Ellie. Who got the cover?
The cover is split between 7 pictures (of actors on many soaps) with the words "OUT! SHOCKING EXITS" written across some of them. From Days, SN/MBE have the largest picture, but TP and RM are also shown. On Thaao's picture it says "His farewell letter to fans" - SOD also printed his guestbook post that I think you posted here a week or so ago. (That's why I didn't include it in my summary, because we already saw it.)
Thanks Ellie.

donna415
Member Avatar

Steve and Kayla would have a story if the writer would write for them. well it is Days loss I will miss them

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

First off, Rachel must have had an out in her contract. Also, Corday's BS about being ok with her leaving is ridiculous because he clearly never said any of that. He wanted her to stay and wanted Chex. Sounds like him trying to save face but whatever. Glad they are not recasting and I bet she returns at some point because I don't she her getting all that much out there. Part of me thinks Rachel has been down on the show since Chan blew up. She didn't see happy or enthusiastic and now her not wanting to talk about the show in her blog makes sense. She never seemed into a repeat of Chick or Chex so part of me saw this coming more then I would've a year ago. I still thought she would at least finish her contract but whatever. Chelsea and Max redux I liked at first but the lack of airtime hurt it and I would rather not have it at all. I really hope the new love interest for Max is Abby or at least a Horton from the past or something. Losing Rachel sucks because of her talent but the silver lining is we avoid another pairing of Max and his niece. I just pray they don't go back to Stax. The lack of screentime, though, will help in regards to Chelsea because I'm already used to her not being there.

I figured Steve and Kayla's exit was handled like it was to keep open the idea of them popping up when needed later on. Corday has said shit like that before but I won't get my hopes up. They seem to be using MBE more now then SN and I can actually see her making an appearance here and there. SN seems to be in the doghouse or something. Whatever the case, I just wish they would send them out of town or something for closure.

Nothing new on Thaoo although his tossing out the line "a producer from Passions showed up" was kind of funny LOL. His last tape date is March 4 and they seem 3 weeks ahead right now. With Ali back, taping may pick up a bit so I would say Tony will last air around the end of March.

I'm glad Corday at least commented. I thought he was finished commenting until this was over but, since the cuts are through, I can see why. Shocked there won't be more. I was expecting at least one or two more but maybe with Melvin leaving even the little she makes might make a difference. He is right though. The show still has it's vets, although Caroline has not been used much. I hope we see Maggie, Victor, etc continue to be used. I do agree it's nothing ageist. It's just that the vets make more money. I see what he is trying to say about there only being so much airtime but it's just now that he is noticing this? This show has always kept some people around for no reason at all and that is why it's cast and budget bloated and now he finally realizes you can't just keep everyone you like for no reason at all? Christ, Corday...a little slow on the uptake, eh? :laugh:

As for J&M, he wouldn't tell you if he hated them. Hell, he needs to be careful in case he needs them back. I love how he mentions these characters aren't dying. As if dying means shit on this show LOL.

I will say again that while characters like Victor, Maggie, Caroline, etc can't replace those lost for some, they can for me. Maggie should be used like she is and, again, no one person or people are the show, regardless of popularity. Casts are supposed to change over time. Days relied far too long on the same couples and characters. A change was needed eons ago. I will miss these people but it's time. There is no suspense and very little that can be done that would new, fresh, and exciting. Yes, I do realize the show is rehashing old plots but it's with new characters and new dynamics. That makes it new and fresh in my mind. I just hope Days takes this chance to rebuild the Horton's. I can see that happening now. They have Maggie being used more and have tied her back in with Lucas' life. They are bringing Will back. I say bring Abby back for Max. Maybe bring on Sarah Horton. They have a chance here to finally build that family back up and I think they have to, especially with Frances not doing well. I think that is a large part of why they didn't even think about getting rid of Bo and Hope given her Horton connection.

Kenny
Member Avatar

This just kills me.

It kills me that he's actually handing out t-shirts to let the cast know that the "difficult, onerous, painful bloodletting of this transition is over." How many painful transitions has this show been through in the last 5 - 8 years? Too many to count, IMO. Anyone who believes him is a fool.

Meanwhile, regarding the firings of Stephen and Mary Beth, I don't understand him saying that "if you keep people with that much history, they should be in story." Does this mean that everyone who's been kept will be magically given story? Because I'm kind of doubting it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Nubia
Feb 11 2009, 11:55 AM
He is gonna give them T-Shirts with a SPECIAL Message? WTF Corday....I would throw that sh!t back in his face.
I agree.

Only in Corday's mind would those shirts be a good idea. Seriously.

One thing Corday better watch out for is this. The vets and past characters always stayed loyal to him. They kept coming back despite everything. They supported the show. Now, I'm sure Ali, Ari, Bryan, etc will be like that but the young cast will not be. Maybe Darin but Rachel already took off and the others I can see bolting too if they have a hissy fit or if they feel they can do better elsewhere. He better pray this all doesn't blow up in his face.

Ellie

Kenny
Feb 11 2009, 12:08 PM
Meanwhile, regarding the firings of Stephen and Mary Beth, I don't understand him saying that "if you keep people with that much history, they should be in story." Does this mean that everyone who's been kept will be magically given story? Because I'm kind of doubting it.
It's total BS. Corday has all of a sudden come to this realization? This is after YEARS of not having given story to the vets? Right.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
This just kills me.

It kills me that he's actually handing out t-shirts to let the cast know that the "difficult, onerous, painful bloodletting of this transition is over." How many painful transitions has this show been through in the last 5 - 8 years? Too many to count, IMO. Anyone who believes him is a fool.

It's just more of Corday's usual talking out of both sides of his mouth crap. The only thing I believe about what Corday says is to believe nothing Corday says.
Edited by Mason, Feb 11 2009, 12:12 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Kenny
I don't understand that either. What was the barrier to giving them story? Why couldn't they be used? It doesn't make any sense. You have them, you're paying them, write for them. Simple.

I also don't get the "there's only so much airtime" argument. I understand the basketball analogy that there's only one ball. But on an ensemble show everyone should have some airtime and nobody should dominate. If we have to take a few moments here and there away from Sami or Danloe I for one would survive.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Depending on what happens with his pilot, despite Corday saying he's staying, I see Darin quitting too. But I wouldn't mind seeing him go, he's only on when he's with Chelsea(who's never on herself) or talking to Melanie.

And honestly, I wouldn't miss the early twenties set. What I feel Days needs to build on(and they have been) is the late twenties-early thirties.

Ives
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 11 2009, 11:34 AM

- Corday explains that "there is only so much airtime". He says that if the show were "cash richer", they would have kept Nichols and Evans, but "if you keep people with that much history, regardless of how much they make, they should be in story." Corday explains that because of the financial restrictions on the show, only so many people can have story, so he had "some hard choices to make".

In other words, Dena and Tomlin do not want to write a stories that incorporate strong history and instead prefer more of a shallow, blank slate. IMO, John as Jawn, Tony, Steve and Kayla each had a lot of storyline potential given their missing years (or in John's case his Jawn transformation) and tons of ties to the canvas.

Over the last 6 months, Days has lost their strongest acting talent among the younger actors and the vets.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 11 2009, 11:34 AM
- Corday was asked about whether the age of those fired played a role. Corday says no. "Maggie has more story, Caroline has more story, Stefano and Victor have more story, so it's not an ageist thing." He says it's not true that the "old guard" is leaving Days; he says Bo and Hope aren't going anywhere and that they have a story and "that will continue". He acknowledges the show is losing "two huge couples", but "in their place, you'll be seeing appearances by other veteran cast members."
They have more story? You either have a story or you don't. Victor is a prop for Philip and now Melanie, Stefano is a prop for EJ and now Melanie, Maggie is a prop for Lucas/Chloe/Daniel, Caroline is a prop for everyone at the pub.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply