Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: SN/MBE/TP fired, Melvin Quits! Corday speaks.; Feb 24th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Feb 11 2009, 11:34 AM (16,361 Views)
carlypvee

Hope Rachel Melvin lands a good role on another soap or primetime. I'd love to see her on GH! She is so talented and I think she has a great future in store.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

BUH-bye Rachel! :applause: OMG, I couldn't be happier about this! :cheers:

She's not all that talented, IMO.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Feb 11 2009, 12:08 PM
This just kills me.

It kills me that he's actually handing out t-shirts to let the cast know that the "difficult, onerous, painful bloodletting of this transition is over." How many painful transitions has this show been through in the last 5 - 8 years? Too many to count, IMO. Anyone who believes him is a fool.

Meanwhile, regarding the firings of Stephen and Mary Beth, I don't understand him saying that "if you keep people with that much history, they should be in story." Does this mean that everyone who's been kept will be magically given story? Because I'm kind of doubting it.
I think he is right, in theory. A couple as big as Steve and Kayla SHOULD have story, which begs the question: Why didn't they give it to them?

I mean, this is the same guy that threw them under the bus in SOD in 2007? I mean, really. It's more of his BS to try to keep their fans watching. He could've jumped in with his damn interference and did something good for once and pushed for more story for them but didn't. I just laugh because for years he kept so many people around doing nothing and now he comes out with this shit about how popular characters need to be in story. The guy is a moron and about 5 years too late.

I don't think he would fire the people he did without Tomlin. Tomlin did what Langan did. He got Corday to finally pull the trigger. I have no doubt Corday's wanted this for some time. Both he and Langan wanted it in 2000. They were going to push the new generation and it even forced Lorraine Broderick to quit before she barely started writing. Langan took over and forced the agenda in 2001 and, when ratings tanked and fans protested, Corday used Langan as a scapegoat and axed him, making himself look like the hero. Then when B&C start using the vets in story, Corday demotes them/ Very suspicious. He wanted his agenda pushed but then NBC pushed for JER and he had to put his agenda aside for a few years. He tried to get it through under Hogan by experimenting with no Bo, Hope, John, or Marlena for a few months and it failed. Finally, now, under Tomlin, he had the chance go for it. Tomlin pushed him to pull the trigger and take the risk and now he has.

On one hand, I'm glad circumstances have led Corday to finally take a big risk and make big changes because it was needed. I;m also glad Days finally has a co-EP who can get through to Corday and get one vision across. On the other hand, I'm worried because Tomlin thinks anyone is recastable and I'm thinking this is too much too soon and that the exits are not at all what they should be. We'll see what happens. The ratings won't be hurt in the short-run but we'll see where the show is by the end of the year. I think that will be the most telling.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 11 2009, 11:34 AM
- Corday says about Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans: "They're not leaving Salem. They're not dying. They're just not going to be on the air. You might see one or both of them pop up on other episodes, but it's not going to be a significant exit."
Corday said the same when Matthew Ashford was fired, but he only came back once to tell fauxAbby to stay away from Max.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Paxton
Feb 11 2009, 12:12 PM
Kenny
Feb 11 2009, 12:08 PM
Meanwhile, regarding the firings of Stephen and Mary Beth, I don't understand him saying that "if you keep people with that much history, they should be in story." Does this mean that everyone who's been kept will be magically given story? Because I'm kind of doubting it.
I don't understand that either. What was the barrier to giving them story? Why couldn't they be used? It doesn't make any sense. You have them, you're paying them, write for them. Simple.

I also don't get the "there's only so much airtime" argument. I understand the basketball analogy that there's only one ball. But on an ensemble show everyone should have some airtime and nobody should dominate. If we have to take a few moments here and there away from Sami or Danloe I for one would survive.
Exactly. It's all about the agenda he has. In this interview, it's all about saving face and looking like the victim. In 2002, he fired Langan and made himself out to be a hero. I always rolled my eyes at that because he couldn't stopped it far sooner and he was the EP! He could've ended that shit before it began.

He hasn't had an interest in writing for the vets since 1997. He just hasn't. In fact, I bet he would've started messing with them before that if not for Langan and JER. I think Corday has had it in his mind since he took over as EP that he wants his own era in his vision. He wants his own couples and historic stories created in his vision. In other words, he wants to set up and execute his own golden age for the show and have it attributed to him and him alone. He never had that in the 80's and 90's. Others got the credit and I think that is partly why he hated JER. JER established a golden age and got all the credit. Corday did not and has not done anything like JER has. I think he is trying to now and I think the desire to do that is why he even bothers trying to keep this show on the air.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Paxton
I also don't get the "there's only so much airtime" argument. I understand the basketball analogy that there's only one ball. But on an ensemble show everyone should have some airtime and nobody should dominate. If we have to take a few moments here and there away from Sami or Danloe I for one would survive.
That's because none of the creative heads at Days understand the logic of "balance." They're not going to give story to John, Marlena, Steve, Kayla or any of the veterans if it means having to take airtime away from Sami, Chloe, Lucas, Daniel, Melanie, etc.

There's plenty of room for balanced stories. Corday/Higley/Tomlin just don't want it. I wish they'd just admit it already. I mean, how do they think other soaps manage? Does Corday think that Days of Our Lives is the only soap opera on the air or something? Look at Y&R! They have a big cast, yet they still manage to tell balanced stories. You never get three weeks in a row of the same four characters shoved down your throat on that show. Why has this always been so difficult for Days? It's been this way for years now.

esp13
Member Avatar

Hee! I can't stop laughing about this. It's so stupidly ridiculous to think that there is no story left for Steve and Kayla and therefore they had no choice but to let SN and MBE go. No story? Mmmkay. Aren't writers supposed to be creative enough to come up with stories? It's not that there wasn't story left, it's that the writers didn't want to write for them -- plain and simple. That's the show's perogative, but don't try to cover it with BS. And I think the "no significant exit" is an extreme understatement.

I'm glad Rachel made her own decision to get out. I hope she has success elsewhere. I just hope it doesn't mean another round of Stax somewhere down the line.

And, you just gotta love the guy handing out t-shirts. I'm sure that will get morale up and make everybody happy.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ives
Feb 11 2009, 12:15 PM
IMO, John as Jawn, Tony, Steve and Kayla each had a lot of storyline potential given their missing years
Yep, but that would require actually dedicating a portion of significant airtime to those characters in order to tell a compelling story. With Corday/Higley/Tomlin, that's impossible.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Feb 11 2009, 12:17 PM
They have more story? You either have a story or you don't. Victor is a prop for Philip and now Melanie, Stefano is a prop for EJ and now Melanie, Maggie is a prop for Lucas/Chloe/Daniel, Caroline is a prop for everyone at the pub.
You hit the nail right on the head!

I wouldn't say that any of these veteran characters actually have "story" when they're only being used as supporting beams for other character's stories. In Corday's head, as long as they're on the screen, it means they have story -- even if they're just sitting in the background.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 11 2009, 12:18 PM
I don't think he would fire the people he did without Tomlin. Tomlin did what Langan did. He got Corday to finally pull the trigger. I have no doubt Corday's wanted this for some time. Both he and Langan wanted it in 2000. They were going to push the new generation and it even forced Lorraine Broderick to quit before she barely started writing. Langan took over and forced the agenda in 2001 and, when ratings tanked and fans protested, Corday used Langan as a scapegoat and axed him, making himself look like the hero. Then when B&C start using the vets in story, Corday demotes them/ Very suspicious. He wanted his agenda pushed but then NBC pushed for JER and he had to put his agenda aside for a few years. He tried to get it through under Hogan by experimenting with no Bo, Hope, John, or Marlena for a few months and it failed. Finally, now, under Tomlin, he had the chance go for it. Tomlin pushed him to pull the trigger and take the risk and now he has.
LoL, poor Corday -- always thwarted at every turn. His obsessive need to turn Days into a ridiculous after school special needs to end.

You bring up a good point though. If Corday thinks that characters with a rich history such as Steve and Kayla shouldn't sit on the backburner with no story, then why the hell have they been on the backburner this entire time? Same goes for John and Marlena. His analogy is so stupid. "These are great characters and they completely deserve to be in a big story... so I'm just gonna put them on the backburner for years and then fire them unceremoniously." Brilliant! Riiiiight.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 11 2009, 12:24 PM
Paxton

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
Exactly. It's all about the agenda he has. In this interview, it's all about saving face and looking like the victim. In 2002, he fired Langan and made himself out to be a hero. I always rolled my eyes at that because he couldn't stopped it far sooner and he was the EP! He could've ended that shit before it began.

He hasn't had an interest in writing for the vets since 1997. He just hasn't. In fact, I bet he would've started messing with them before that if not for Langan and JER. I think Corday has had it in his mind since he took over as EP that he wants his own era in his vision. He wants his own couples and historic stories created in his vision. In other words, he wants to set up and execute his own golden age for the show and have it attributed to him and him alone. He never had that in the 80's and 90's. Others got the credit and I think that is partly why he hated JER. JER established a golden age and got all the credit. Corday did not and has not done anything like JER has. I think he is trying to now and I think the desire to do that is why he even bothers trying to keep this show on the air.
The thing about that is that if he wanted that, he shouldn't have been so STUPID to cut the characters he wanted to have as his own era!

Now this could be credited to JER, I guess, but in the 90's he had Sami/Austin/Lucas/Carrie/Mike...probably some others I am forgetting. He kept Sami and Lucas(well, he did fire him once I guess), but the rest of them were all gone by early 00's or late 90's. Now to be fair, Christie Clarke left, but he got both her and Austin back in 2005, only to let them go a year later!

Then of course he had his precious Shawn/Belle/Philip/Chloe/Mimi/Jan/Rex/Cassie/Jason/those other random teens. Not that I loved some of them, but he's let all of them go except Philip(and he got Chloe back). He supposedly loved them so much yet he was stupid enough to demolish his next generation of the show! The most enraging were Shawn and Belle. Here he could have had his own age, but in the end he freaked out and now the majority of those characters aren't mentioned.

Then he had Max/Chelsea/Stephanie/Nick/Jeremy/Jett/Morgan. Well, all except Max and Stephanie are gone there! And Max may be gone soon enough.

Right now the focus seems to be Nicole, EJ, Sami, Rafe, Chloe, Lucas, Daniel as the center stories/group of the show(though Daniel's a bit older)....well, I wonder(if the show survives) how long it will be until all of THEM are gone.

samixxx
Member Avatar

Thank you. Rachel was my favorite from the younger cast I shall miss her. Wish her the best.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I understand why Corday is getting rid of Nichols and Evans. Their return never really caught on like TPTB, fans and everyone else thought it would. It just didn't. I doubt either actor would ever return just for a guest appearance though. I can't believe he would even say that. I would have rather they written them off the show rather than knowing they're still in Salem, hearing their names, but never seeing them. That sucks.

Freaking love Thaao! Way to call out Tomlin. I knew these changes coming to DAYS were Tomlin's doing. Not Corday's. Not Higley's. This is all Tomlin and I'm glad he threw out the line, alligning Tomlin with just Passions, and not One Life to Live. Just Passions. Does he sound bitter? Hell yeah! And he deserves to be.

Love Thaao! You go boy!!!

It kills me that Melvin is leaving the show. She was such a great find and really came into the role of Chelsea. She made her one of the most unique characters in soap opera history. I love her wit and charm. And I love her chemistry, albiet I only like it as friendship, with Darin Brooks. Amazing. I'm going to be sad to see her leave. But I wish her nothing but the best. For some reason, though, I see her coming back. Glad they're not recasting the role.

Thank God Brooks is staying. And please let this new love interest that they find be no one in relation to the Brady family. Recast Abby. Create a brand new character. Bring back Noelle Curtis. Do anything. Just give us someone that's not a Brady!

I never ever believed the rumors that Corday hates Drake and Deidre.

And it sounds like the cast cuts are done. We'll see.

Mason
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Feb 11 2009, 12:47 PM
I understand why Corday is getting rid of Nichols and Evans. Their return never really caught on like TPTB, fans and everyone else thought it would. It just didn't. I doubt either actor would ever return just for a guest appearance though. I can't believe he would even say that.
No kidding. I don't see MBE or especially SN ever agreeing to something like that.

Mason
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Freaking love Thaao! Way to call out Tomlin. I knew these changes coming to DAYS were Tomlin's doing. Not Corday's. Not Higley's. This is all Tomlin and I'm glad he threw out the line, alligning Tomlin with just Passions, and not One Life to Live. Just Passions. Does he sound bitter? Hell yeah! And he deserves to be.

:rockon:

Tomlin has been a pox on DAYS as far as I'm concerned. I love Thaao all the more for publicly calling him out!

sitrian
Member Avatar

Quote:

but "if you keep people with that much history, regardless of how much they make, they should be in story."

Well, I have a solution to that problem. Get me a typewriter.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

sitrian
Feb 11 2009, 12:55 PM
Quote:

but "if you keep people with that much history, regardless of how much they make, they should be in story."

Well, I have a solution to that problem. Get me a typewriter.
:laugh: No kidding. There really is a solution to that problem, Ken, that doesn't involve firing actors.

BradyDiva06
Member Avatar

Sad to see Rachel and the vets go. I hope that the new love interest is a Abby recast. I'd be happy with someone that is not related to Max at all.

sungrey

cjknick
Feb 11 2009, 11:53 AM
He gave out tee shirts to the cast .... I wonder what they said ...

"I took a pay cut and all I got was this losey tee shirt"

"I survived but Deidre didn't"

"Eighteen more months till unemployment"
"And here we thought Passions was canceled!"

sungrey

DrewHamilton
I understand why Corday is getting rid of Nichols and Evans. Their return never really caught on like TPTB, fans and everyone else thought it would. It just didn't. I doubt either actor would ever return just for a guest appearance though. I can't believe he would even say that. I would have rather they written them off the show rather than knowing they're still in Salem, hearing their names, but never seeing them. That sucks.

It kills me that Melvin is leaving the show. She was such a great find and really came into the role of Chelsea. She made her one of the most unique characters in soap opera history. I love her wit and charm. And I love her chemistry, albiet I only like it as friendship, with Darin Brooks. Amazing. I'm going to be sad to see her leave. But I wish her nothing but the best. For some reason, though, I see her coming back. Glad they're not recasting the role.

Thank God Brooks is staying. And please let this new love interest that they find be no one in relation to the Brady family. Recast Abby. Create a brand new character. Bring back Noelle Curtis. Do anything. Just give us someone that's not a Brady!

I never ever believed the rumors that Corday hates Drake and Deidre.

And it sounds like the cast cuts are done. We'll see.
Amen, Drew! NBC needs to realize this show is NOT Passions and shouldn't pretend to be. Look, I mean no disrespect to those of you who watched Passions. It's just NBC shouldn't try to replicate it on another show, just like when they tried to make Another World more like Days in the 90s. They were two different shows.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply