Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: A Closer Look: Melanie; Feb 24th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Feb 11 2009, 01:41 PM (1,808 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOW features an interview with Molly Burnett about the Melanie/Philip/Stephanie story.

Burnett tells SOW that Melanie's objective is to get Philip for herself. Philip sees Melanie and EJ talking on the pier, and he sees EJ giving Melanie money. Philip asks Melanie what it was about, but Melanie says it was nothing. As Burnett says, "She's playing coy, but Philip knows what's going on."

Melanie then says that she won't go through with the deal with EJ if Philip leaves Stephanie. "It's almost a little chicky-flicky," says Burnett. Melanie tells Philip that she accepts him for who he is, but Stephanie only likes the "nice guy" part of Philip. Melanie likes all of him.

SOW says that "Philip rebuffs Melanie and vows to destroy her if she double-crosses him." Burnett explains that this is Melanie's "first vulnerable moment with Philip". Melanie is going to keep trying to get Philip, because she believes it's meant to be that they'll be together. "It's just going to take longer than she expected."

EJ later tells Melanie that he's aware that she's using the fuels project to win Philip. Melanie lies and says that she doesn't care about Philip, and she wants to work with the DiMeras.

Philip then confronts EJ, and EJ declares himself the winner. But then, Philip has a new plan, and he goes to Maggie's to see Melanie. He tells Melanie that she's the one he's always wanted, and he kisses her just as Stephanie walks in. Stephanie leaves, devastated.

Melanie doesn't buy it, but she goes along with it because she wants to make Stephanie angry. Burnett says, "After Stephanie leaves, Melanie is like, 'Look Philip, I know you're using me. Stephanie's an idiot, but I'm not. Don't trip on your way out.'"

Later, Stephanie comes back and slaps Melanie! Melanie is furious, and the two end up fighting.

As for Melanie's plan in light of the fact that she and Stephanie want the same man, Burnett says: "Melanie wants the project with EJ to go through so she can have money and maybe start over. She still wants to stick it to Philip. She's upset with him, but she hasn't given up on him. She's determined to get Philip."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lene
Member Avatar

Ah, joy!
How about they kill of Melanie AND Stephanie instead of airing this crap?!?! I can't stand either one of them!
Edited by lene, Feb 11 2009, 01:44 PM.

aimees76
Member Avatar

I know I am in the minority, but I can't help liking Melanie, and Melanie and Phillip's little cat and mouse game is getting kind of interesting. I think I might like this storyline.
Thanks for posting!

jane1978

I like the story. I think JKJ has great chemistry with both and while Iīm fan of Steph/Phillip as a longterm couple, there is a strong sexual tension between Phillip and Mel whenever they are sharing a scene together so itīs not like she is completely delusional.

Really looking forward to the fight. I always thought the strong anymosity between Steph and Mel was one of the reason why TPTB decided to split Stax and put them into an orbit with JKJ so they can fight over something bigger then Melīs brother (and Stephīs uncle).

Edited by jane1978, Feb 11 2009, 02:08 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

The worst part about the cast cuts article was knowing that Molly Burnett will still be around. Her character is obnoxious, too young, and utterly implausible dealing with all the powerful businessmen she's supposed to be able to be deceiving, outwitting and manipulating. She has done the most out of any character to ruin the show for me. I find her unwatchable and to have her ruin what was once my favorite character, Philip, makes me loathe the character of Melanie all the more.

lene
Member Avatar

I agree.
I really wish they would pair Philip with someone else. JKJ is a talented actor who deserves a talented leading lady! and so far, the only talented actress he's been paired with is Martha.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

Philip is a total loser. Melanie ROCKS!

Bradyclan

I feel sorry for JKJ as well. This Mel/Phil is pure garbage.

And why is my EJ sharing scenes with that girl?!

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Molly Burnett was fairly good in the beginning back when we thought she was Nick's new love interest. I never thought in a million years her story would revolve around guys in their thirties like Philip and EJ and that she'd playing her own rules. It's not fair to the actress either who is too inexperienced for such a storyline and we wind up unjustly disliking her character more for it.

Melanie as a young but "bad" girl who was used by her father was a decent storyline. But Molly Burnett is absolutely miscast now Melanie is apparently a spitfire heartbreaker who has business sense that apparently equals or surpasses men from both the Kiriakis and Dimera empire.

zyona

Paxton
Feb 11 2009, 02:13 PM
The worst part about the cast cuts article was knowing that Molly Burnett will still be around. Her character is obnoxious, too young, and utterly implausible dealing with all the powerful businessmen she's supposed to be able to be deceiving, outwitting and manipulating. She has done the most out of any character to ruin the show for me. I find her unwatchable and to have her ruin what was once my favorite character, Philip, makes me loathe the character of Melanie all the more.
Well Said!!!

Sariah
Member Avatar

Will they ever let Philip stop chasing little girls and be with someone his own age? This is so freaking ridiculous! No more hair models for Philip! JKJ is way too talented to be wasting his time with crap like this.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Feb 11 2009, 02:07 PM
I like the story. I think JKJ has great chemistry with both and while Iīm fan of Steph/Phillip as a longterm couple, there is a strong sexual tension between Phillip and Mel whenever they are sharing a scene together so itīs not like she is completely delusional.

Really looking forward to the fight. I always thought the strong anymosity between Steph and Mel was one of the reason why TPTB decided to split Stax and put them into an orbit with JKJ so they can fight over something bigger then Melīs brother (and Stephīs uncle).

I agree with all your points

Also, I'm happy we are finally progressing to the point where Melanie's true intentions are known. We are seeing that she wants Philip too and now she is finally acting on that with schemes and not little sneaky actions.

I just knew Philip was playing a game with Melanie and using her. I like Philip going back to his darker side too. That is when he is at his best IMO.

SaveDaysNow

Putting Phillip in a storyline with two GIRLS who cannot match his intelligence, worldliness or experience is just Ken Corday's way of punishing JKJ for almost walking out on this show. It's like they're giving him a shit storyline so that eventually we all lose interest.

Molly Burnett is probably the WORST casting choice made in the last few years. The girl cannot act worth to save her life---it's as if she went to the Ali Sweeney school of acting. GMFB. The last time I recall seeing an actress bite her nails in a scene like MB does to somehow signify 'nervousness' was Bo Derek back in the 80s in those gawd awful films. But at least Bo had other natural given talents to make part of her story believeable. MB as intelligent, business savvy vixen??? No friggin way!!!!

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

aimees76
Feb 11 2009, 01:57 PM
I know I am in the minority, but I can't help liking Melanie, and Melanie and Phillip's little cat and mouse game is getting kind of interesting. I think I might like this storyline.
Thanks for posting!
Me, too.

I know that Stephanie will get him in the end, she is the daughter of a supercouple after all and Phil is the only guy on canvas she isn't related to even though Phil's related to her family.

I know Melanie's the evil interloper, but with her and Phil's chemistry and knowing I'm not supposed to want to root for them, I'm all GO PHELANIE!
Edited by SpriteEyes, Feb 12 2009, 05:28 AM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

jane1978
Feb 11 2009, 02:07 PM

Sadly this statement may be correct but it just illustrates heavily what is wrong with the show. What Dena and TPTB should be concentrating on why we should root for a couple to be together, instead the emphasis on what keeps them apart. Nobody has considered whether Philip even works well with Melanie before they threw them in scenes together, and then having her be this young tycoon is ridiculous and insulting. We've put up with a lot before when it comes to believability of characters in their jobs, but no way is Melanie who just turned 18 should be able to carry her weight against Philip and EJ on any kind of level, much less a business one.

I was one of the people who wanted Stephanie and Philip together, but as usual, the show takes the one couple who has the most potential for anything and makes them a snoozefest. Philip is the last guy to be "everyone's best pal" and at the minimum it should have taken months for these two to even feel comfortable around each other when you consider his treatment of Morgan and Shelle. Then as they wind up having to work together, family prejudices come out which Philip and Stephanie really weren't aware of (why should they have been) which adds more hesitation on their parts. However, small moments make up for that and it's tough to ignore the underlying attraction.

It's like even when the show gets close to doing something right for a change, they manage to still screw it up.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

SaveDaysNow
Feb 12 2009, 03:30 AM
Putting Phillip in a storyline with two GIRLS who cannot match his intelligence, worldliness or experience is just Ken Corday's way of punishing JKJ for almost walking out on this show. It's like they're giving him a shit storyline so that eventually we all lose interest.

Molly Burnett is probably the WORST casting choice made in the last few years. The girl cannot act worth to save her life---it's as if she went to the Ali Sweeney school of acting. GMFB. The last time I recall seeing an actress bite her nails in a scene like MB does to somehow signify 'nervousness' was Bo Derek back in the 80s in those gawd awful films. But at least Bo had other natural given talents to make part of her story believeable. MB as intelligent, business savvy vixen??? No friggin way!!!!
ITA!!!!

But I have been disappointed in all storylines wiht Philip since Jay came back. They usually start good but never goes anywhere.

ges
Member Avatar

Putting pounds of cheap hairspray and makeup on Melanie does not make her sophisticated. The way this character is presented as being able jerk around Titan is preposterous. Remember Morgan's Dad? It used to be that nobody messed with Phil or E.J. for that matter, now an annoying pickpocket from boarding school has both "empires" in a tizzy. What horseshit. On top of the horsemouth, it is all a bit too much for me. As an aside, I saw the movie "Taken" the other day, and Morgan was in the preview for another movie. She plays a corpse in a crime drama. Sorry, I was so shocked to see her in the big time that I didn't catch the name of the movie. The movie revolves around who killed her.

ilovemydays

Tripp
Feb 11 2009, 05:11 PM
Molly Burnett was fairly good in the beginning back when we thought she was Nick's new love interest. I never thought in a million years her story would revolve around guys in their thirties like Philip and EJ and that she'd playing her own rules. It's not fair to the actress either who is too inexperienced for such a storyline and we wind up unjustly disliking her character more for it.

Melanie as a young but "bad" girl who was used by her father was a decent storyline. But Molly Burnett is absolutely miscast now Melanie is apparently a spitfire heartbreaker who has business sense that apparently equals or surpasses men from both the Kiriakis and Dimera empire.
IA with everything you've posted except I don't think Molly has been miscast. I think the problem is that the character is supposed to be 18 and that makes the character misplaced in the EJ/Phillip scenes. I suspect that the story is too flawed for any actress to overcome.

Because of this ridiculous fuel story she's going to seem too old to be in scenes with Will and Mia now so all of the other characters will be too old or too young for her to interact with. They could bring in actors in her age group but I find that prospect annoying because they got rid of Blake Berris.

cassie1013

ilovemydays
Feb 12 2009, 09:15 AM
Tripp
Feb 11 2009, 05:11 PM

IA with everything you've posted except I don't think Molly has been miscast. I think the problem is that the character is supposed to be 18 and that makes the character misplaced in the EJ/Phillip scenes. I suspect that the story is too flawed for any actress to overcome.

Because of this ridiculous fuel story she's going to seem too old to be in scenes with Will and Mia now so all of the other characters will be too old or too young for her to interact with. They could bring in actors in her age group but I find that prospect annoying because they got rid of Blake Berris.

I totally agree with you. For a long time, I was even willing to buy her as a mature 18 year old. Chelsea came off as fairly immature in the Daniel relationship, but I thought Melanie could hold her own - after all, age is just a number.

I tuned in briefly today, and Melanie just seemed way too young all of a sudden. The scene I am referring to is one with Philip - her hair looked ridiculous too, LOL. It seems to me they are regretting writing her as 18 - I don't see why they did that in the first place, though. Was it to play up the fact her father had legal rights surrounding her schooling etc.? Or was it to have her be a love interest for Will? She will definitely seem too old in scenes in that sense, since I still do think of her was wise beyond her years (to an extent). Whatever the case, it does seem like they are trying to write her as this hot and sexy 20-something but she can't play that...if that's the kind of character they wanted, they should have cast it.

lastDays
Member Avatar

lene
Feb 11 2009, 01:43 PM
Ah, joy!
How about they kill of Melanie AND Stephanie instead of airing this crap?!?! I can't stand either one of them!
Damn Dena for pimping Melanie.Shes been in a scene with just about every character.I HATE her.Shes just an annoying ,snotty little brat. :drunk:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply