Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stats report: Ari Zucker rising up 5-month list
Topic Started: Feb 12 2009, 11:29 PM (4,019 Views)
AidanGreensFan

ladyofthelake
Feb 13 2009, 06:21 AM
SaveDaysNow
Feb 13 2009, 02:20 AM
ginababe
Feb 12 2009, 11:45 PM
Just another example of how over exposed she has become.. Too much exposure can be bad for an actor, people see too much of you and they get sick of you.. It's already happened for many w/ this character. I think Ari is very talented but like everyone else, she has become over exposed.
You know, I think the overexposed actress is Ali Sweeney. The whole witness protection storyline was completely unnecessary, and yet we were subjected to her non-acting ability day in and day out. How much whining, ugly crying, and hystrionics can one take from a character??? At least Ari Zucker was interesting to watch and made some really stupid storyline twists compelling. I hated the Nicole character the entire time she was on the show the first time around, and since Ari's return last April, she's made Nicole so much fun to watch. If anyone is overexposed and needs to give us viewers a rest it's AS --- oh, and MB too -- she's not only overkill but she's an even worse actress than Ali.
I have to agree with this. For someone who works two jobs and was supposedly on a maternity leave, she certainly had her share of airtime. And really, I'm honestly noting that, when Sami had all that exposure for the past couple of years, including the time, what was it, 2007-2008, there were people complaining about that, but it seems to me, MORE people, including folks who were pretty ardent Sami fans at one time. I honestly think the reasoning is several fold. Even though Nicole's personality seems to be changing, Ari is adjusting to the change. Sami was pretty much relegated to glitter, crying status with little change. I don't think the acting is on the same level. I'm sure some will claim I'm bashing Allison, and well, you know, I call it as a I see it. Allison just can't be as multi-dimensional as Ari is currently. Ari used to be a so-so actress. She took pains to improve herself, and it shows. Yeah, she's on a hell of a lot. The difference is, I think to a lot of us, it doesn't SEEM like she's on a lot because it's not painful. For whatever reason, for some, it is painful. That's fine. They're entitled to their opinion.
That being said, I'm not crazy about the path they're leading Nicole down. But, I can see both Nicole AND Sami doing these actions. Again, it seems to me that Sami is the new Marlena/Belle, and Nicole is the new Sami, maybe along with Melanie. Whether it's right or not, Tomlin's gonna do what Tomlin's gonna do. And as long as the ratings reflect improvement, what we say won't mean squat.
Not that I'm complainin'. I happen to enjoy Ari immensely.
I think it all depends on how you feel about the character. Nicole in any type of excess has always annoyed me. The CHARACTER is second tier at best IMO. Ari is a fine actress but I have no interest in the Nicole Walker show. She IS on too much and the constant focus on her character is why I stopped watching.

The only time I truly enjoyed the character of Nicole was during the brief flirtation with Austin. I thought they were an amazing match and was bummed when AP left just as that started.

Yes Nicole is overexposed. No amount of great acting justifies one character (no matter who it is) being onscreen that much.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

AidanGreensFan
Feb 13 2009, 01:34 PM
Yes Nicole is overexposed. No amount of great acting justifies one character (no matter who it is) being onscreen that much.
You're right, it doesn't. But it does make it A LOT more palateable when the actor or actress in question doesn't make you want to scratch your eyes out, which I think is the point many in this thread have been trying to get across.

six
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Feb 13 2009, 11:09 AM
SpriteEyes
Feb 13 2009, 09:18 AM
mer4santo
Feb 13 2009, 09:15 AM
I love Ari but I could have used a break earlier in her story when the baby brokering/my-life-will-suck sobbing was on ad nauseum. Now that the story is finally moving it's OK!
I think Days should refrain from storylines with excessive crying for awhile. THAT is what I really need a break from!
True, Nicole was starting to remind me of Teresa Lopez-Fitzgerald and that wasn't a good thing. If she said Fate or Forever I think I would have thrown something at the t.v.

I'm pretty much over the crying jags. I;d rather have more plotting and scheming and bitchslapping over tears.
Ditto! I swear, I think if I heard Nicole gush on about her 'miracle' baby one more time I would :x . But the scheming, snarky and funny Nicole I can take much more easily. The schmoopy, doe eyed Nicole? Not so much. :ermmmm: I agree that Ari is a fabulous actress and is much improved since her last run on the show. But I do think she's been over exposed and I don't see that ending any time soon because this storyline is far from over. I do look forward to seeing her share scenes with Ali Sweeney again - I think they are great together.

And uh...Christie Clark?? Seriously??? ^o)
I agree. I don't think AZ will have any problem hitting that five month mark, and the trend is probably going to continue right into Spring.

I don't see why AS's other projects count when comparing her to AZ. TBL is completely separate from DOOL, and is skippable if you're sick of her.

I'm glad to see hard numbers coming out on AZ's presence on the show though. Plenty of people who are sick of Nicole have been told that she wasn't on all that much. AZ is a fine actress, but there is no reason for her to be in every episode. How many days did we have a repeat of her and Mia going back and forth over whether she could buy the baby, or her crying about her "precious baby" that died or how she couldn't bear losing EJ? Seeing the scene once was sufficient, yet Nicole did different variations on it almost daily for weeks.
Edited by six, Feb 13 2009, 01:45 PM.

AidanGreensFan

Mason
Feb 13 2009, 01:39 PM
AidanGreensFan
You're right, it doesn't. But it does make it A LOT more palateable when the actor or actress in question doesn't make you want to scratch your eyes out, which I think is the point many in this thread have been trying to get across.
Which is why I noted it amounts to if you like the character or not. I dislike Nicole immensely. I always have and she does make me want to scratch my eyes out. So I stopped watching. I gave up my James Scott/EJ love because I couldn't take Nicole and I couldn't take what a assclown EJ turned into.

I know Nicole is mostly loved at DR, but I'd hazard a guess that lots of viewers might be feeling the same way I do - less Nicole, more balance.

Alligato
Member Avatar

six
Feb 13 2009, 01:43 PM
I don't see why AS's other projects count when comparing her to AZ. TBL is completely separate from DOOL, and is skippable if you're sick of her.

Because it counts as exposure.
DOOL hypes TBL and TBL promotes DOOL.
And what I found funny is that I have watched TBL since that other actress was on, and I enjoyed AS all last year on it, but this past summer/fall season when AS was all over the internet and her pregnancy was written in for no reason and her character's story was stupid beyong belief, I stopped watching TBL for the first time. I just didn't want to see AS anymore.
Maybe I watch too much NBC.

And I would also admit that as a fan of AZ and her acting, when Mia and AZ did round 253 of "can I have your baby, I lost my miracle", I fast forwarded it, so maybe it didn't bother me as much as it could have.

But I do agree wholeheartedly that Days could do so much better in the balancing department. I don't need to see my faves everyday.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

When speaking about balance, back in the super couple days of the mid to late 80's (Steve & Kayla, Shane & Kimberly, etc.) I couldn't wait to see what would happen with S&K because their "A" story was only on three days a week as I recall. The other two days were devoted to other stories and that was just fine. I know times have changed a lot since then (I'm older and my memory fails!) but no matter how good an actress or actor is or how much you love the character or couple, too much exposure isn't always best.

six
Member Avatar

Maybe it is based on the amount of NBC people watch, because I only watch Days and L&O SVU, and Days is the only place I see AS. If AZ landed another show, I couldn't see factoring it into an argument for cutting down Nicole's air time on Days though, which seems to be what some are doing for AS and Sami. I've never seen TBL, and don't plan to (not due to AS- not my kind of show), so if they're promoting DOOL I can understand counting it a little bit more. I don't take issue with AS promoting herself though. She's making the most of her time in the spotlight, like anyone would do. The same way AZ has with her numerous soap interviews. More power to them, I say.
Edited by six, Feb 13 2009, 03:31 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

ArizonaDaze
Feb 13 2009, 03:21 PM
When speaking about balance, back in the super couple days of the mid to late 80's (Steve & Kayla, Shane & Kimberly, etc.) I couldn't wait to see what would happen with S&K because their "A" story was only on three days a week as I recall. The other two days were devoted to other stories and that was just fine. I know times have changed a lot since then (I'm older and my memory fails!) but no matter how good an actress or actor is or how much you love the character or couple, too much exposure isn't always best.
I agree with you. I love Nicole but I should find myself wanting more instead of wondering when she'll ever get a break. They have a huge problem with balance these days, as I am far from the first to note. I do wonder what the comparison is to the size of the cast from those days (when KA, CC, and the DHs had similiar air time) until now, because the recent cast cuts could have affected why Nicole has this much air time. Or not. I tend to think recent writing teams have had a really hard time balancing out stories. This problem isn't isolated to Dena, either--I was very irritated by the Touch the Sky and sorority rapist storylines' airtime, for example, and that was Sheffer.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Congratulations to Ari. She deserves it; remember when they put her in those GOD AWFUL café clothes--the long-sleeve blouse with the tip-top button squeezing off the circulation on her neck? Who knew we had a diva just waiting to BURST out of that dreadful get-up!
Ari showed them!
Quote Post Goto Top

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Paxton
Feb 13 2009, 03:29 PM
ArizonaDaze
Feb 13 2009, 03:21 PM
I agree with you. I love Nicole but I should find myself wanting more instead of wondering when she'll ever get a break. They have a huge problem with balance these days, as I am far from the first to note. I do wonder what the comparison is to the size of the cast from those days (when KA, CC, and the DHs had similiar air time) until now, because the recent cast cuts could have affected why Nicole has this much air time. Or not. I tend to think recent writing teams have had a really hard time balancing out stories. This problem isn't isolated to Dena, either--I was very irritated by the Touch the Sky and sorority rapist storylines' airtime, for example, and that was Sheffer.
I agree Pax. When characters are on every day, there is no anticipation, no rushing home from school or work to see what would happen. Of course, back then there was no internet and hardly any spoilers so the anticipation was greater. Sometimes now there is just anticipointment instead of anticipation.
Edited by ArizonaDaze, Feb 13 2009, 03:46 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I love Ari Z., but this just goes to show how imbalanced the show is. No matter how beloved a character or actress is, they should never be on every single episode for 3+ months straight. Ever. Not only does it tend to exhaust the actors (Eileen Davidson, anyone?!), it also burns out the fans.

That being said, Arianne is pretty much my favorite actress on the show right now, so if they were going to do this with anyone, I'm glad they chose her.

Faye

No wonder! Ari Zuker is the best actor on the show right now! As long as she's staying the writers are using her 24/7, but still. She impresses me, every time!

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

But I think overexposure is the norm these days...just look at the SOAPranos on GH and the "Todd" show over at OLTL....I did like the ol'Days when the "A" SL was on Mon/Wed/Fri..with a cliffhanger thrown in...and Tuesdays/Thr were the "B" stories...I can recall as a kid just waiting for M/W/F shows!!!
Liz

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Nicole is to Days now what Threes was on Passions...... ^o)

Mason
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Feb 13 2009, 06:03 PM
Nicole is to Days now what Threes was on Passions...... ^o)
Oh God! LoL. Nicole doesn't even come close to that!

SaveDaysNow

oldschoolfan
Feb 13 2009, 08:51 AM
Wow, so it wasn't just my imagination that she is on all of the time. No wonder they don't have room for other storylines....
Hey Oldschoolfan, just so no one confuses us -- I am the OLDSCHOOLFAN on TDM. :D I didn't sign up on here until last week, but you had already taken the name. No biggie -- just don't want anyone to think I'd EVER be a Sami fan --- will never happen in this lifetime.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Feb 13 2009, 09:55 AM
I don't mind it ....

What I do mind is the hypocrisy of it all! Last year it was all about the overexposure of AS and JS. Many posters who will complaining about that are all ok with this.

I guess you didn't read the explanations as to why people like me felt this way before you started calling us names.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Feb 13 2009, 11:32 AM
ilovemydays
Feb 13 2009, 10:13 AM
Hypocrisy? Hardly. I think enough posters had explained that the reason they don't mind Ari on so much is because she's such a fine actress. Compound that by the fact that Alison has been over-exposed for YEARS not months and you can see why people complained about Alison being on too much:
In 2005 AS ranked 4th.
For 2006 she ranked 3rd.
In 2007 AS ranked 1st. (possibly the worst acting by AS was done this year)
And while Alison only ranked 8th for 2008 she had been doing double duty on two NBC shows and hitting PR pretty hard so it seemed like there was no escape from AS in 2008.

http://www.jason47.com/days/
At least those posters are owning up to their hypocrisy that they don't mind Ari on all the time because they like her and complained about the "Sami show" because they didn't like Sami ... but it is a double standard none the less! Then there are those who complained about the balance before Vets backburned and such - but are suddenly ok with the "Nicole show" even though the Vets were even backburned even worse and have even been fired! Just keeping it real!
Uh, no you're not.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mason
Feb 13 2009, 01:39 PM
AidanGreensFan
Apparently, Mason, we've been unsuccessful in getting the point across. :huh: :drunk:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Alligato
Feb 13 2009, 02:45 PM
six
Feb 13 2009, 01:43 PM

Because it counts as exposure.
DOOL hypes TBL and TBL promotes DOOL.
And what I found funny is that I have watched TBL since that other actress was on, and I enjoyed AS all last year on it, but this past summer/fall season when AS was all over the internet and her pregnancy was written in for no reason and her character's story was stupid beyong belief, I stopped watching TBL for the first time. I just didn't want to see AS anymore.
Maybe I watch too much NBC.

And I would also admit that as a fan of AZ and her acting, when Mia and AZ did round 253 of "can I have your baby, I lost my miracle", I fast forwarded it, so maybe it didn't bother me as much as it could have.

But I do agree wholeheartedly that Days could do so much better in the balancing department. I don't need to see my faves everyday.
Plus, TBL and Days are both on the same network. There's a connection there, sho' as gun's iron.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply