Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stats report: Ari Zucker rising up 5-month list
Topic Started: Feb 12 2009, 11:29 PM (3,893 Views)
aimees76
Member Avatar

Well I am fully a Sami AND Nicole fan. They are my two favorite characters. I love it when they share scenes! I love Ali and I love Ari equally, however, when it comes to acting chops, I think Ari takes Ali. I enjoy watching Nicole more often than Sami because I feel that the character of Nicole, and Ari's acting, has more range and depth than Sami/Ali (at least recently). When Sami is on day in and day out, it feels repetitive and annoying. When Nicole is on day in and day out, it feels layered and range-y (for lack of a better word). This is only MY OPINION, of course, I realize there are others who feel that Nicole is a worthless character and they hate every minute she is on screen .... I feel fairly certain that should she be paired with Brady next year, she will garner a whole "new" flock of fans, though. ;) Which is understandable because we are often affected by our feelings about our favorites. I freely admit that I hated EJ when he was dominating Sami's life/story ... and once he was paired with Nicole I found him much more enjoyable. Those who want EJ with Sami are likely to find Nicole more enjoyable if/when she is paired with someone else, too. I'm not critisizing it, just expecting it because it makes sense. I think all of the hulabaloo over Ari's "overexposure" rings very familiar to when JS was on ALL THE TIME, and in EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER'S stories, and the EJ-haters (myself included) complained about how much he was on, while the EJ-lovers ate up all his screen time .... so .... to each their own. *shrug*
Edited by aimees76, Feb 15 2009, 05:13 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

daisy132

Liz<3Days
Feb 15 2009, 03:47 PM
cjknick
Feb 15 2009, 03:39 PM
daisy132
Feb 15 2009, 03:23 PM
Although I absolutely detest the character of Nicole, I separate it from the actor, Ari. I enjoy Ari's acting, and she's doing a great job, but I HATE seeing NICOLE on day after day, with the same story that seems to be neverending.

I believe she carried the front storyline because Ali was on maternity leave and worked only very little while she was pregnant. She did a lot of pre-taping. Now that she's back, I hope to see less of Nicole, or at the very least move the story along. Sometimes, too much of a good thing is not enjoyable any more.
Two things happened that put Nicole front and center and it ain't because Ari is talented (she is but that's not the reason)

reason # 1 she was paired with EJ ....
reason # 2 AS got pregnant in real life...

I disagree!
The character of Nicole came on to run interference between EJ and Sami. TIIC saw the chemistry between Nicole and EJ and decided to go with that direction. I believe they wouldnt have created a SL for Nicole and EJ if TIIC didnt like the chemistry w/AZ & JS.

I do agree that AS' pregnancy shifted the SL...it may have been that Nicole would be pregnant and EJ would have to choose between Nicole and Sami...who knows??

Liz

I don't think it was the chemistry. There is no chemistry, at least none that I can see. EJ (the character) is walking around clueless, unshaven with a greasy head and a grim look on his face most of the time, and Nicole is smiling in front of him, and as soon as he turns his back reaches for her phone to either answer calls from Dr. Baker, or to call Brady.

No, it's not the "chemistry", IMO, it's that James apparently has a little crush on Ari (based on his comments on interviews), and for now prefrers to work with her (and considering that he's under negotiations, I would assume that the writers will comply if they want to keep him). At least, that's how I see it.

cjknick
Member Avatar

For me... As an EJ fan

I like EJ with Sami ... (they shine together)
I hate Sami with Lucas (they make each other stupid)
I like Nicole with EJ but I hate EJ with Nicole (EJ got stupid with he was put with Nicole and I hate that) EJ makes Nicole a better character .... Nicole makes EJ a stupier and weak character. I really liked Nicole and EJ together in the beginning (loved the drunken bar scene and the snarky Nicole and when they schemed together) I hate these two together when she is lying to him and making him a fool! They used to have chemistry but not anymore. There is no sexual tension, no steamy glances .... no romance. DULL DULL DULL!

I also did not like Sami when she was doing that I love EJ no I love Lucas crap!

Edited by cjknick, Feb 15 2009, 06:01 PM.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

six
Feb 15 2009, 04:29 PM
Luvpumkns for one (sorry if I misspelled that!) said s/he feels annoyed when Sami fans complain about the current lack of balance.

As for the milestone, no that's not what I meant. As I said earlier in the thread, I don't begrudge either of them their time in the Sun. Even if I don't enjoy seeing their characters day in day out, they should make the most of it. I wouldn't turn down success in my field.
i did say that, but perhaps i didn't explain myself well enough. i don't see anyone complaining about james scott being overexposed, yet he has appeared in more episodes this month (and most other months) than nicole has. i just feel most(though not all) of of the sami fans complaining don't really care about balance, they just hate nicole. if this was a balance issue, this discussion should include james scott, but his name NEVER comes up when people discuss balance and character overexposure.
Edited by luvpumpkns, Feb 15 2009, 08:01 PM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

You are right, luv.
Why are there no issues with JS's constant screen presence? Other than he is such a pansy now (whatever! he was fine with Melanie. Just has a problem when he is in love, that's all), where is the outrage that HE is constantly on screen?

I know my answer. He isn't shoved down my throat by his weekly BL show, or his weekly blog about his shows in addition to his constant on screen presence of screaming at everyone he comes in contact with, not to mention his during Days commercials trying to get me to read his blog on NBC.com.

My point I was trying to make, Aiden, was in MY opinion, it doesn't bother me who is on all the time. Technically, they aren't on that much anyways, just a few minutes in each story, but their acting abilities make a difference in how much I am interested in their story, and being all over the network and internet causes a bit of overexposure for me.

Just because I am proud that AS is milking her primetime 15 minutes of fame, doesn't mean I have to like it.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

aimees76
Feb 15 2009, 05:12 PM
Well I am fully a Sami AND Nicole fan. They are my two favorite characters. I love it when they share scenes! I love Ali and I love Ari equally, however, when it comes to acting chops, I think Ari takes Ali. I enjoy watching Nicole more often than Sami because I feel that the character of Nicole, and Ari's acting, has more range and depth than Sami/Ali (at least recently). When Sami is on day in and day out, it feels repetitive and annoying. When Nicole is on day in and day out, it feels layered and range-y (for lack of a better word). This is only MY OPINION, of course, I realize there are others who feel that Nicole is a worthless character and they hate every minute she is on screen .... I feel fairly certain that should she be paired with Brady next year, she will garner a whole "new" flock of fans, though. ;) Which is understandable because we are often affected by our feelings about our favorites. I freely admit that I hated EJ when he was dominating Sami's life/story ... and once he was paired with Nicole I found him much more enjoyable. Those who want EJ with Sami are likely to find Nicole more enjoyable if/when she is paired with someone else, too. I'm not critisizing it, just expecting it because it makes sense. I think all of the hulabaloo over Ari's "overexposure" rings very familiar to when JS was on ALL THE TIME, and in EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER'S stories, and the EJ-haters (myself included) complained about how much he was on, while the EJ-lovers ate up all his screen time .... so .... to each their own. *shrug*
Great post. I completely agree with most of what you said. I do think Ari has proven what a talented actress she is - and while I think she has had incredible material to showcase that talent, a lesser actress would not have pulled it off anywhere near as well as she has. So I give her major props. She had managed to make me both love and hate Nicole - I hate what her influence has done to the character of EJ (basically, IMO, he's been majorly dumbed down and emasculated) but I also realize that his efforts to become a better man for Sami managed to dilute alot of why I initially loved the guy. So somewhere in between what he is with Nicole and what he became in trying to secure a future with Sami is the EJ I want on my screen. I know myself and my EJami loving heart well enough to know that I fully believe he could easily be that man with the Sami we saw before they tried to turn her in to the show's heroine (which is a complete re-write of her character, as well) but I realize it ultimately comes down to the writers.

Regardless, I love Ari and Ali in their scenes together and I am very much looking forward to that. I would have liked to have seen them sharing more screen time since Ari came back last Spring but thus far we've not gotten a lot of that. No doubt as the baby switch story moves to it's ultimate conclusion they'll have more interaction. It will be interesting to see them play it out.

six
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
Feb 15 2009, 08:00 PM
six
Feb 15 2009, 04:29 PM
Luvpumkns for one (sorry if I misspelled that!) said s/he feels annoyed when Sami fans complain about the current lack of balance.

As for the milestone, no that's not what I meant. As I said earlier in the thread, I don't begrudge either of them their time in the Sun. Even if I don't enjoy seeing their characters day in day out, they should make the most of it. I wouldn't turn down success in my field.
i did say that, but perhaps i didn't explain myself well enough. i don't see anyone complaining about james scott being overexposed, yet he has appeared in more episodes this month (and most other months) than nicole has. i just feel most(though not all) of of the sami fans complaining don't really care about balance, they just hate nicole. if this was a balance issue, this discussion should include james scott, but his name NEVER comes up when people discuss balance and character overexposure.
The same question could be asked of Nicole fans, or any fans really. Except maybe the Lucas fans. Perhaps JS's acting is so sublime that no one notices his over-exposure. Or, maybe he's getting the same pass that Nicole is being given here- EJ might be on a lot but he's layered and usually interesting and JS is a good actor, so people let it slide. It's probably a combination, and also, imo, since Nicole got pregnant, this has been her story, and others were supporting characters in it. Now that Sami's coming back, she'll probably take center stage in the baby story soon, and later EJ will be the focus (probably when the secrets come out).

Sort of like when Sami became savior of the Bradys. EJ and Lucas were along for the ride, but it was Sami's story. Eventually, EJ and Lucas moved into the spotlight, but Sami was still an important piece of the puzzle.

Mindy
Member Avatar

aimees76
Feb 15 2009, 05:12 PM
Awesome post. Very thoughtful and sincere. Thanks.

doolgirl25
Member Avatar

"You know, I think the overexposed actress is Ali Sweeney. The whole witness protection storyline was completely unnecessary, and yet we were subjected to her non-acting ability day in and day out. How much whining, ugly crying, and hystrionics can one take from a character??? ... If anyone is overexposed and needs to give us viewers a rest it's AS --- oh, and MB too -- she's not only overkill but she's an even worse actress than Ali"

Wow. I totally disagree. I love the character of Sami and I love Ali Sweeney. She has charisma and is the reason I watch the show. I watched every episode of Days during "The (I hate it when people call it this) Summer of Sami." She has amazing chemistry with all of her scene partners. That's why people get so heated in their coupling debates regarding LUMI, EJAMI, and RAFE. She's great! :applause:
Edited by doolgirl25, Feb 16 2009, 10:36 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply