Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rachel Melvin blog about leaving Days
Topic Started: Feb 13 2009, 11:21 AM (2,037 Views)
Ellie

http://rachelmelvinblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/on-record.html

Thursday, February 12, 2009

On record

As I'm sure you all know by now, I have decided to depart Days.

I have been with Days of Our Lives for the past four years of my life. I have nothing but gratitude and appreciation for the opportunity Ken Corday has given me, and for the growth and education I have obtained from such a hard working group of people. At this juncture in my life however, I feel I've accomplished and learned all I could have from Days, and it's just time to experience new things. I shared this insight and reasoning with Ken Corday, who was most understanding and supportive. I truely felt he was genuine in all the wonderful things he had to share with me, and I'm very grateful not only for the opportunity on the show, but for his blessing on other opportunities that might lie ahead for me. I will always credit Ken and Days for molding me into the actress I am. When I first came to the show I was terrible- there I said it- but they saw something in me, something I didn't even see in myself, and gave me a chance. Out of that chance I got recognition, amazing friends, personal growth, and even walked away with an emmy nomination. If you had asked me four years ago what I expected from life and my career, I never would have guessed any of what I actually received. It's been a rush, a whirlwind, a crash course, and at times even a rude awakening, but above anything else it's been magical. (I realize how lame that sounds, but I'm literally racking my brain for some word to describe it, and that word is absolutely fitting).

Now all that being said, I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed in some of the rumors I've been hearing in regards to my decision to leave. People have gone so far as to speculate that I'm leaving because I "wasn't getting my way" with storylines, or that I was "disappointed with the way the show was going". I find it funny that people assume they know the rationale of someone they don't even know, in regards to information they know even less about. Unless you're in the business, it's truely hard to understand. Therefore, I wanted to take this time to explain.

My leaving has nothing to do with being disappointed by storylines. For some reason, people think I favored the "Dansea" storyline, and have pinpointed that my decision to leave, was primarily based on the writers' decision to abandon that storyline. First of all, I would never quit a job based on such an immature and unprofessional reason as 'not getting my way'....The problem with the internet and blogging is that especially when people don't know you personally, it's hard to decipher one's demeanor, sense of humor, or implications. So allow me to clarify: When I write or blog my opinions regarding my characters' storyline, I voice my opinion as an actor- the way I see my character reacting or thinking based on their psychology or influence of circumstance. It is voiced purely artistically without personal emotions altering any aspect of it. To imply I would do anything but, is really offensive to my professionalism and my personal character. At the end of the day, of course I will always do what is asked of me without hesitation or agruement, that goes without saying, but I also feel that I have a right to voice my creative input as it's portrayer, as do you the viewer.

Secondly, I understand our show has had to sacrifice many things and has been forced to take tremendous amounts of cutbacks, which have greatly altered the way we operate. But to clear the air about the other rumor, my leaving has nothing to do with the current status of the show or my current limited amount of airtime. I realize people are disappointed in some decisions that are being made, but I beg you to look at it as I do: I am not in Ken or Gary Tomlin's shoes right now, understanding the pressures, demands, or logistics of our show and its' current budget. I know at times it can be frustrating to adapt to storylines you can't get into you, or see characters you love depart, but everything comes in ebs and flows. Just understand that everyone is doing their best and no one wants to see the show suffer in any way, nor do they want to "sabotage" it. It's hard to please everyone, and right now they are doing their best given all the variables and obstacles they've been thrown. It's also important to remember, not every character you love can be on air all the time. We still have a large cast in comparison to a lot of other shows, and its hard to work everyone equally all the time. Actors also go through ebbs and flows, hell- we need to rest every now and then too. I had for the most part, four full years of heavy, steady working on this show, and I feel as though I'm one of the lucky few who get to say that.

Anyway, there is one last thing I want to add in this post and it's to my fans at curemytragedy.com: I received the birthday gift you sent to me today and I have to say, I was speechless. It was way beyond sweet and generous, and... I cried-I'm such a girl! It's just sometimes you forget that there are still good people out there, showing random acts of kindness, even to complete strangers. It's hard to remember that when at times this world can seem so dark and lonely. Thank you all so much, and please look for a more formal thank you in an upcoming issue of Digest.

Also, thank you to the other amazing fans who individually sent birthday gifts to me at the studio as well. I did receive them, and they are all so special to me. You have no idea. In the upcoming weeks, once I get a break, I will be working on a formal thank you for you also.

It's been such a pleasure entertaining you all for these last four years. As of now I don't know when I'll be shooting my last episode, but I will definitely keep you posted. And I can promise there will be much more of me to come in my future endeavors.

Rachel
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie.

Rachel sounds like such a class act. :)

aimees76
Member Avatar

I love her. :) I wish her the best.
Thanks for posting.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Thank you Rachel! Thank you for finally clearing up those ridiculous rumors. I love how she called out the people that were just assuming that she left because she didn't get the Dansea storyline, or that she wasn't getting airtime. That's really ridiculous and now we see what happens when you assume. Rachel calls you out! LOL!

I wish nothing but the best for this girl and I hope she comes back one day.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

What a classy young woman. I hope her career continues to burn brightly.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

That's nice that she claims her personal feelings in no way influence how she feels about how her character would react and feel and how she didn't quit over not getting Chan, but I find it a little disingenuous of her to say that when she's also on record in her blog saying this:

Quote:

As for me, I am currently going on my 30th hour of euphoria here in my new residence on Cloud 9, and as if that encounter wasn't enough, all I did this morning at work was make out with Shawn Christian. He constantly joked about how I was picturing David Cook instead of him during our scenes...isn't adorable how nieve he is? I swear, the guy has no idea how charming and adorable he is, not to mention just the coolest person I've possibly ever worked with.

http://rachelmelvinblog.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=18

I mean, it's fine with me that she liked working with Shawn Christian, even though I hated their storyline, but to say her personal emotions don't affect how she feels about her story . . . well, I wouldn't believe that even if she weren't on record gushing about SC.

I like RM fine, her blogs are cute, and though I didn't like the character much I think losing RM is a loss for the show due to her talent. But again, I do find this blog disingenuous.

Days4Life

Rachel seems to be an amazing girl, and I wish only the best for her. She comes across as very intelligent and level-headed in her blogs, and I like knowing that the stereotypical Hollywood starlet is sometimes just that--a stereotype. I hope she finds work soon; she is very talented.

As for her earlier remarks about enjoying working with Shawn Christian, I don't see how that conflicts with anything she said in her new blog. She was having a good day (she had been blogging about AI and crushing on David Cook), was in a very lighthearted mood, and she was gushing a little bit about working with an attractive co-star. I don't think it was a big deal; it was just a reference to one day in particular. She's a professional actress, and I would find it very hard to believe that her favoring one pairing over another would cause her to quit her job.

ilovemydays

I've grown to think of Rachel as a nice girl and a fine young actress. I wish her luck in her future endeavors. Its sad that she's leaving the show but I would rather her leave than have to sit through another round of Max/Chelsea or Dansea.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I wasn't trying to make the point that she quit over not getting Chan. My point was that she expressly said she didn't let personal emotions get in the way of how her character would feel, when she's on record talking about how SC being the "coolest person she's possibly ever worked with." I'm neither a Chelsea nor a Chick fan so I don't know where she said it, but I do recall her making some comments that upset Chick fans, about how it made no sense for Chelsea to go back to Nick (even though "first love/true love" is a staple of soaps).

So it wasn't just a one time "isn't my co-star hot" thing, it's a mix of comments she's made in the past. That's why it's a little naive of her at best to claim she doesn't understand where these ideas come from. I believe her when she says she didn't quit over not getting a particular story--there are plenty of reasons to quit DOOL, after all--but I do believe she was unhappy when Chan ended. The only time I've ever seen her blatantly phone something in (IMO) was the breakup scenes when she found out about grannysex. Those fell totally flat.

Mason

DrewHamilton
Feb 13 2009, 11:45 AM
Thank you Rachel! Thank you for finally clearing up those ridiculous rumors. I love how she called out the people that were just assuming that she left because she didn't get the Dansea storyline, or that she wasn't getting airtime. That's really ridiculous and now we see what happens when you assume. Rachel calls you out! LOL!

I wish nothing but the best for this girl and I hope she comes back one day.
ITA. For people who don't even know her on a personal level, they're making quite a big assumption as to her personal reasons for leaving. I'm glad she set the record straight.

Meanwhile, I love that she says she's learned all that she can from DAYS. With this crappy writing, that's certainly true enough!

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I think that for this post to be disingenuous she would have to have a level of self-knowledge that very few attain. It's possible that on some level she is leaving because she doesn't like the storyline, she misses "Dansea," but I'm not sure if she would know that at this point.

I would never call myself a fan of her on the show even though I recognize that she's talented. I didn't connect to her or her character all that much. That said, I really dig her as a person as she is in these blog entries. She comes off very introspective and honest without sliding into narcissism, which is a tough trick, and I look forward to seeing her in other projects.

Also, usually when actors talk about their craft I vomit a little because it sounds ridiculous. Her I believe, so I wish her good luck.
Edited by px780, Feb 13 2009, 12:35 PM.

dayslover12

I hate to see her leave.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I never thought RM was leaving because she didn't get Chan. But I do believe she's responsible a great deal for people's "assumptions" she was pushing the Chan story first and foremost. Her gushing on getting to make out with SC was just the beginning.

I also think the remarks where she personally mentioned how she didn't want Chick back together (or thought it wrong for the character because it was a 'regression') also helped propel she was pushing her own agenda. As a Chick fan, those comments really broke my heart because it seemed to say, "I'm the actress of the character and I know best". She might not have intended it that way, and maybe even the journalist screwed the quote(s) up. But rumors are still floating around she and BB didn't get along BTS, and everything we saw on screen and off seemed to support.

That said, it's her blog and her right to say whatever she wants. I want to state I never felt she was leaving because of Chan and I had applauded her move to leave. Days is a sinking ship and I think RM is a talented actress who can move on to bigger and better things if she heads somewhere else. But I think she's young and inexperienced and can't help let her opinion shine through, especially in personal blogs (which honestly I think came through in this blog as well). As she gets older, she might realize how to balance her professional and personal life better.

cjknick
Member Avatar

The one thing I appreciate about the Actors who leave Days they aren't bitter - they come out to support the show when there is a charity event, or anniversary they still hang out with cast members, they go to expo's and events as past cast members ... D&D have not come out blasting the show I don't expect SN&MBE to do that either... Class Acts!
Edited by cjknick, Feb 13 2009, 12:59 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I think all Rachel was doing was pushing the story she was involved in. That's what actors normally do. Just listen to Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell praise this shit they're doing now. Deidre Hall did the same thing with the crap Reilly threw at her years ago. You have a job to promote your story and I think that's all Rachel was doing.

esp13
Member Avatar

Paxton
Feb 13 2009, 12:07 PM
I wasn't trying to make the point that she quit over not getting Chan. My point was that she expressly said she didn't let personal emotions get in the way of how her character would feel, when she's on record talking about how SC being the "coolest person she's possibly ever worked with." I'm neither a Chelsea nor a Chick fan so I don't know where she said it, but I do recall her making some comments that upset Chick fans, about how it made no sense for Chelsea to go back to Nick (even though "first love/true love" is a staple of soaps).

So it wasn't just a one time "isn't my co-star hot" thing, it's a mix of comments she's made in the past. That's why it's a little naive of her at best to claim she doesn't understand where these ideas come from. I believe her when she says she didn't quit over not getting a particular story--there are plenty of reasons to quit DOOL, after all--but I do believe she was unhappy when Chan ended. The only time I've ever seen her blatantly phone something in (IMO) was the breakup scenes when she found out about grannysex. Those fell totally flat.
I totally get what you are saying Paxton. I don't think she quit because she didn't get the Chan storyline, but I think it's pretty naive of her to wonder why people might speculate that was the reason given her very public propping of the Chan storyline. I've never seen her really gush about another pairing and she was critical of any reuniting of Chick, so it's pretty easy to see how some folks might think that the loss of Chan influenced her decision to leave.

I'm sure she's a professional and wouldn't let personal feelings interfere with her work on the show (mostly) but that doesn't mean that she didn't prefer a particular storyline/pairing and that her preferences didn't come through in her blog entries.

Nonetheless, I wish RM nothing but the best in the future. She's a good actress and I hope she finds success elsewhere.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

DrewHamilton
Feb 13 2009, 01:03 PM
I think all Rachel was doing was pushing the story she was involved in. That's what actors normally do. Just listen to Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell praise this shit they're doing now. Deidre Hall did the same thing with the crap Reilly threw at her years ago. You have a job to promote your story and I think that's all Rachel was doing.
And that's a fair point (though again, talking about how awesome it was to make out with SC was way more information then any vets have ever given about love scenes with their costars. Since SC is married it really stood out).

But PR and KA didn't blast stories if they didn't go their way, which is how Chelsea's Anti Chick comments were taken once they ended Chan and were floating her back around Nick. She was making it quite clear she did not think Chelsea should get back with Nick, and though many of us have thought we've read between the lines of what an actor says about a storyline we hope he doesn't like, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone be so negative on what MIGHT happen to a character.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Tripp
Feb 13 2009, 01:09 PM
And that's a fair point (though again, talking about how awesome it was to make out with SC was way more information then any vets have ever given about love scenes with their costars. Since SC is married it really stood out).

But PR and KA didn't blast stories if they didn't go their way, which is how Chelsea's Anti Chick comments were taken once they ended Chan and were floating her back around Nick. She was making it quite clear she did not think Chelsea should get back with Nick, and though many of us have thought we've read between the lines of what an actor says about a storyline we hope he doesn't like, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone be so negative on what MIGHT happen to a character.
Perhaps Chelsea knew something we didn't. I don't know if anything changed between the time Scott left and Tomlin came on, but that was around the time Chelsea started getting involved with the younger crowd again. I think they were going towards a triangle between Chelsea, Nick and Melanie, before Tomlin came on and wanted Nick to be Trent's killer. That was around the time Melvin made those comments. Perhaps, she didn't think that Chelsea should go back to Nick, given the way the storyline was going to go, because maybe she knew that Nick would end up with Melanie in the end. That's fair.

From the interviews and videos we've seen, Melvin and Blake Berris are good good friends. I don't think Melvin has anything against Berris. She has said numerous times in the past that she loves working with him. They click. And perhaps at a time in the future, Melvin would've thought they clicked again. Just, at that time, she didn't feel that Chelsea should end her relationship with Daniel and then go right back to Nick. I could understand where she's coming from with that. That makes Chelsea pretty pathetic, if you ask me. Here, you have this girl that leaves her boyfriend, that would do anything for her, for an older man, and then once he drops her, she's just going to go back to the ex-boyfriend, who is now with a younger girl? That's horrible writing, and I don't think Melvin was in any wrong of calling that a "regression." But you can blame the crappy writing for that.

Nick and Chelsea are a unique couple and they need to have an original writing team writing for them in order to work. Hogan Sheffer and his team made this couple quirky, funny, cute, etc. all at once. And it worked. The minute Higley's writing team came on board, Nick became nothing but the smart kid, and Chelsea became the girlfriend that's no longer interested. They became pretty one note, if you ask me. So I don't blame her for not wanting to go back to that with the current writing team in control.

Bradyclan

DrewHamilton
Feb 13 2009, 01:03 PM
Exactly. Just ask Nadia Bjorlin pushing Danloe. I'm sure that doesn't sit well with some of her Broe and Phloe fans. But the girl needs to sell the story she's in for the sake of her job and the show.

I'm glad she called out the peeps that were assuming that she quit because she didn't get her story. We are not on Days's set , we are not RM so we can't call her out on something we have no proof of. So it happens that her contract expires when she started Chex. Doesn't mean she didn't want to work with Darin. It happens.

It was a great blog.Rachel will be missed and I wish her the best.

Alligato
Member Avatar

It is amazing how many Days actors/former actors love to gush about Ken Corday.
When you read online message boards, I can't think of one post where a member has said anything positive about anything KC has done, but the actors have nothing but great things to say about the man.

Who is missing something? Us or them? This can't just be industry professionalism...is he really that great of a guy who is doing everything he can to save his show?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply