Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rachel Melvin blog about leaving Days
Topic Started: Feb 13 2009, 11:21 AM (2,041 Views)
DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Bradyclan
Feb 13 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm glad she called out the peeps that were assuming that she quit because she didn't get her story. We are not on Days's set , we are not RM so we can't call her out on something we have no proof of. So it happens that her contract expires when she started Chex. Doesn't mean she didn't want to work with Darin. It happens.
But that'll be the next rumor people start. "Rachel hated Darin so she booked once she heard she was going to be romantically paired with him."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Bradyclan
Feb 13 2009, 01:19 PM
DrewHamilton
Feb 13 2009, 01:03 PM
I think all Rachel was doing was pushing the story she was involved in. That's what actors normally do. Just listen to Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell praise this shit they're doing now. Deidre Hall did the same thing with the crap Reilly threw at her years ago. You have a job to promote your story and I think that's all Rachel was doing.
Exactly. Just ask Nadia Bjorlin pushing Danloe. I'm sure that doesn't sit well with some of her Broe and Phloe fans. But the girl needs to sell the story she's in for the sake of her job and the show.
And I'm sure she doesn't appreciate her character looking like a complete whore, either.

This is why I almost never take actors' praise of a story seriously. Even when it's obviously total crap, they'll praise it, and that's how you know they're just doing their job.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Alligato
Feb 13 2009, 01:22 PM
It is amazing how many Days actors/former actors love to gush about Ken Corday.
When you read online message boards, I can't think of one post where a member has said anything positive about anything KC has done, but the actors have nothing but great things to say about the man.

Who is missing something? Us or them? This can't just be industry professionalism...is he really that great of a guy who is doing everything he can to save his show?
Well, they do know him pretty personally. We don't. They work for him. We don't. He signs their paychecks. Not ours.

Those are just a few reasons why we have differing opinions on Corday than the actors do.

Mason

Alligato
When you read online message boards, I can't think of one post where a member has said anything positive about anything KC has done, but the actors have nothing but great things to say about the man.

Who is missing something? Us or them? This can't just be industry professionalism...is he really that great of a guy who is doing everything he can to save his show?
Joe Mascolo all but ripped him a new one last year, before he came back.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Feb 13 2009, 01:03 PM
I think all Rachel was doing was pushing the story she was involved in. That's what actors normally do. Just listen to Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell praise this shit they're doing now. Deidre Hall did the same thing with the crap Reilly threw at her years ago. You have a job to promote your story and I think that's all Rachel was doing.
See, I would see it that way had she not went all "gaga" over SC and talked ad naseum about about how hot he was and things like that.

Now, let me just say, I never once said it was a certainty that she left because of lack of airtime or because of the Daniel story being cut. However, I do believe they were reasons. Am I wrong? Maybe. I'm not acting like I'm a prophet nor do I think anyone else who made similar claims was. People have a right to make those claims. Is it making assumptions? Yeah but there is nothing wrong with that when you have valid reasons to do so. Some of her blog entries and the way her acting was during the end of Chelsea/Daniel are valid reasons. That is what people were basing their assumption on and I can't blame them. They had reason to make those claims and to be suspicious. If some disagree and don't see it the same way, fine but I think it's wrong to act like those who made those claims were wrong to make them and that they didn't have basis to make them. No, we may not know Rachel personally but you do get to know a person through their performances. She's been with the show for 4 years. She's also been blogging for a time so that is another way you feel you get to know her. Having said that, when you see her giving what you in your opinion perceive is terrible performances and start seeing her in her blog really being over the top (in my view) with her comments then it becomes clear to someone that something is wrong.

Frankly, her performance during the Chelsea/Daniel breakup and Kate reveal was atrocious. Some of the worst performances she's ever had and this is coming from an actress who has been excellent for a few years now. Not to mention she never pushed stories the way she pushed the Chelsea/Dan story IMO. Yes, she was a cheerleader for the show and sold her stories but not the same way she did with Chelsea/Dan. I still remember the blog entry she had around the time they broke up. Her tone was somber and she was really pushing for people to write in on Chan's behalf. She never acknowledged the idea that some may not like them or that the show knew better. She came off like she knew better. Now, again, that is just my view and others had a similar view. I don't think it's wrong to make it. People have their reasons, including me. I mean, she never seemed gung ho about Chick getting back together and at Day of Days she didn't seem overly enthusiastic about Chelsea and Max getting together again either. She has a right to feel that way. As I said, though, those are some of the reasons people think there is more to this then just her going out for new opportunities. I think that is a factor but she always said in interviews she wanted to be challenged and would stay as long as that was the case. Maybe part of why she feels she's learned everything is because she isn't being challenged, which can be attributed to some of the reasons people are mentioning.

There is nothing wrong with making assumptions based on what you see, read, etc. It's one thing to just assume based on no evidence at all but, if a person believes they have evidence (and people did believe this and with good reason), then there is nothing wrong with it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it either way. People make assumptions about Days and about the storylines all the time, some completely unfounded and some before anything even airs. Same thing goes here. It's not wrong to do so and I don't think it matters if you know her personally. After 4 years of seeing her onscreen, reading her interviews and blogs, seeing her in clips and interviews from fan events and such, I think people feel they at least know her enough to make claims such as the ones that were made.

Now I'm glad Rachel addressed the claims head on. Good for her. Some run away from things like that and I hate that. She came out and in a classy, through, respectful way she made her case. Doesn't mean I believe her because, in all honesty, why would she admit she hated her lack of screentime or the show? Why would she admit she hated that the Chelsea/Dan story ended? She doesn't want to burn bridges nor does she want to make herself look bad, especially right now. For me, you just have to put things in context and that is why I'm not going to act like her word is 100% Gospel just because she made her case here. I still believe in the claims I've made, although maybe not so much the one about her airtime. I give her credit for not whining profusely like others have about airtime and I don't think that bothered her too much, if at all. Whatever the case, I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right nor do I think anyone else making these claims is. I'm not even sure I'm right LOL. I believe I am but I'm not naive enough to think I could be wrong. I'm open to both sides of the issue. I just lean more on one side then the other.

It's just people's view of what she said and how she acted and people have a right to do that, even if it is assuming. Even if Rachel was unhappy and if she left because of some of the reasons I and others claimed, she has that right. I won't bash her on it. It's actually reasonable and she has a right to her opinion. Just like she has a right to the stuff she writes in her blog.

I agree with Tripp on the comment she made about Chelsea/Nick. That was the only time I got a bit angry and that is that is the only thing I bashed her on. I don't think she handled the situation with Chick and their fans well at all.

This was a wonderful post by Rachel. Very articulate and thoughtful. I will miss her and believe she will be back. She's talented and it seems she thought alot about this before leaving, which is smart. I've seen so many actors and actresses leave without thinking well about it she seems to have done so. She's always seemed level-headed and mature so no surprise that she would consider her options before making a decision.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Shawn Christian is a very attractive man. What 23 year old girl wouldn't be happy to be sharing make out scenes with him?!

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting this. I have not been the biggest Chelsea fan but I have grown to know a bit about Rachel through her blogs and do hold her in high respect. It seems she has a good head on her shoulders and I do wish her all the best in all she does.

Bradyclan

DrewHamilton
Feb 13 2009, 01:32 PM
Shawn Christian is a very attractive man. What 23 year old girl wouldn't be happy to be sharing make out scenes with him?!
LOL, agreed.

But, I understand what you're saying Phoenix and I think she may have been naive when she gushed about working with SC. I have to admit that I could have been doing the same thing in her position.That's why I loved to read her bloggin it was very honest and real.
Then again it's nothing new, I heard Nadia at appearances saying that it's a fun day at the office when working with hot men. Also, I clearly remember of a video of Bryan Datilo at the Days of Days event making fun of Brandon Beemer because he's working with Nadia. It's all in good fun of course. That was a video so it was easier for us to see it was in good fun but in a blog, sometimes it's kind of hard.

Anyways, it seems that one way or another when you decide to talk or you have to sell your story you'll anger some of your fans or fanbases. I appreciate that she was honest, though, it makes her that more relatable, to me.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
I'm a 28 year guy and i'd be in heaven if I could make out with Shawn Christian...He was one of my big crushes in the early 90's when he was on ATWT...

I'm also glad Rachel cleared the air...I wish more actors would be so vocal...I wish her the best of luck, and hope we get to see Chelsea sometime in the future..I would love for her to return for the last episode..

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Alligato

T-shirts, baby. It's all about the T-shirts...

Days4Life

Paxton
Feb 13 2009, 12:07 PM
I wasn't trying to make the point that she quit over not getting Chan. My point was that she expressly said she didn't let personal emotions get in the way of how her character would feel, when she's on record talking about how SC being the "coolest person she's possibly ever worked with." I'm neither a Chelsea nor a Chick fan so I don't know where she said it, but I do recall her making some comments that upset Chick fans, about how it made no sense for Chelsea to go back to Nick (even though "first love/true love" is a staple of soaps).

So it wasn't just a one time "isn't my co-star hot" thing, it's a mix of comments she's made in the past. That's why it's a little naive of her at best to claim she doesn't understand where these ideas come from. I believe her when she says she didn't quit over not getting a particular story--there are plenty of reasons to quit DOOL, after all--but I do believe she was unhappy when Chan ended. The only time I've ever seen her blatantly phone something in (IMO) was the breakup scenes when she found out about grannysex. Those fell totally flat.
Okay, I understand your point now. And I agree completely about the breakup scenes, she was really bad in those.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It really is a double-edged sword. If you praise a story, you piss someone off. If you bash a story, you piss someone off LOL. That is why I feel bad for her and others. Having said that, it's all in how you do it. You just have to be careful Yes, her gushing about SC and the Daniel story was annoying but I don't think she did anything wrong. It was just the way she chose to express her view. However, the Chick comment she made in the Fall was all wrong. That is the only mistake I feel she really made.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

DrewHamilton
I don't necessarily find him all that attractive now and I'm 39--back when I was 23 I wouldn't have found him attractive at all. I've rarely found men who are significantly older than me to be attractive, so it did surprise me a little to have her gushing about making out with a man approximately 20 years older than her.

Bradyclan

Well , about the break up scenes, I thought the writing was awful. It felt rushed and was totally out of character for Chelsea. I don't think RM did a bad job, I think the way they wanted Chelsea to be portrayed in those scenes was terrible.
Yes, Chelsea had grown up from the time she found her mom and Nick together but still. Real Chelsea would have been way more furious. There was something rushed and wrong about the writing. just awful.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 13 2009, 11:21 AM

Now all that being said, I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed in some of the rumors I've been hearing in regards to my decision to leave. People have gone so far as to speculate that I'm leaving because I "wasn't getting my way" with storylines, or that I was "disappointed with the way the show was going". I find it funny that people assume they know the rationale of someone they don't even know, in regards to information they know even less about. Unless you're in the business, it's truely hard to understand. Therefore, I wanted to take this time to explain.
LOL she must read this board!!! There's tons of that going on here about actors.

lene
Member Avatar

I'm still pissed so i can't be objective and say good for you Rachel and whatever. I've been waiting 2 years for the Max and Chelsea reunion, and now Rachel decides to leave?! ugh.. i'm pissed!

And the show could ATLEAST Recast the role of Chelsea!!!!!!
Edited by lene, Feb 13 2009, 03:15 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Bradyclan
Feb 13 2009, 01:59 PM
Well , about the break up scenes, I thought the writing was awful. It felt rushed and was totally out of character for Chelsea. I don't think RM did a bad job, I think the way they wanted Chelsea to be portrayed in those scenes was terrible.
Yes, Chelsea had grown up from the time she found her mom and Nick together but still. Real Chelsea would have been way more furious. There was something rushed and wrong about the writing. just awful.

That is a fair point.

The writing for the scene did suck. Everything was rushed because of all the backstage stuff. However, from what I've seen of Rachel in her 4 years, she usually tries to rise above her material. Even when she was still learning in her first year, you could tell she was trying. In those scenes, I didn't see it. Her performance was flat. The writing sucked but the performance wasn't there either.

Bradyclan

lene
Feb 13 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm still pissed so i can't be objective and say good for you Rachel and whatever. I've been waiting 2 years for the Max and Chelsea reunion, and now Rachel decides to leave?! ugh.. i'm pissed!

And the show could ATLEAST Recast the role of Chelsea!!!!!!
A recast for Chex? okay, then. Although I'm happy that Corday won't recast since to me RM is Chelsea.
I wouldn't want someone to try fill in her shoes. And what if Darin leaves , what then ? huh?
At least it's a good step in admitting that you're not being objective.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

DrewHamilton
Feb 13 2009, 01:17 PM
Perhaps Chelsea knew something we didn't. I don't know if anything changed between the time Scott left and Tomlin came on, but that was around the time Chelsea started getting involved with the younger crowd again. I think they were going towards a triangle between Chelsea, Nick and Melanie, before Tomlin came on and wanted Nick to be Trent's killer. That was around the time Melvin made those comments. Perhaps, she didn't think that Chelsea should go back to Nick, given the way the storyline was going to go, because maybe she knew that Nick would end up with Melanie in the end. That's fair.

From the interviews and videos we've seen, Melvin and Blake Berris are good good friends. I don't think Melvin has anything against Berris. She has said numerous times in the past that she loves working with him. They click. And perhaps at a time in the future, Melvin would've thought they clicked again. Just, at that time, she didn't feel that Chelsea should end her relationship with Daniel and then go right back to Nick. I could understand where she's coming from with that. That makes Chelsea pretty pathetic, if you ask me. Here, you have this girl that leaves her boyfriend, that would do anything for her, for an older man, and then once he drops her, she's just going to go back to the ex-boyfriend, who is now with a younger girl? That's horrible writing, and I don't think Melvin was in any wrong of calling that a "regression." But you can blame the crappy writing for that.

Nick and Chelsea are a unique couple and they need to have an original writing team writing for them in order to work. Hogan Sheffer and his team made this couple quirky, funny, cute, etc. all at once. And it worked. The minute Higley's writing team came on board, Nick became nothing but the smart kid, and Chelsea became the girlfriend that's no longer interested. They became pretty one note, if you ask me. So I don't blame her for not wanting to go back to that with the current writing team in control.
No, because RM was quite explicit that she had no idea what direction was going in for Chelsea and the show at the time it was obvious they were going for a triangle between Nick with the two girls. Why else have Chelsea witness Melanie kiss Nick? Later we had Chelsea be jealous watching Mick together which Stephanie called her on it.

The show decided to change directions and they put Chelsea with Max and Melanie with Philip. Nick was given the pink slip and easy out for Trent's murder. My guess this came from Tomlin because the timing works out when he arrived. RM's comments against Chick were way before then but obviously at the end of Chan. It just sounded like bitter grapes but gave no concern to how any fans who still liked Chick might feel reading her remarks.

King
Member Avatar

I enjoy her a lot, but I am not sure she'll have much of a career in primetime or movies.

But time will tell!

I am sure she'll land on an ABC soap.
Edited by King, Feb 13 2009, 05:51 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply