Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Promo for wk of 2/16
Topic Started: Feb 13 2009, 09:59 PM (2,263 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I agree, Amello.

Special effects on soaps never look realistic. I can't remember the last time I felt something was done very well with special effects on soaps.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Feb 14 2009, 03:32 AM
^I agree, Amello.

Special effects on soaps never look realistic. I can't remember the last time I felt something was done very well with special effects on soaps.
That's cause it doesn't exist :D
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Feb 14 2009, 03:33 AM
PhoenixRising05
^I agree, Amello.

That's cause it doesn't exist :D
LOL perhaps. There had to be something too.

I remember AMC's 1994 tornado was done well but they didn't really use special effects.

I just wish soaps would just understand that less is more and just keep it simple. That way they won't have to use special effects much, if at all.

I do think GH does an ok job with the computer generated stuff they do. Sometimes it looks bad but they also do some pretty decent stuff. They use stuff no other soap really uses and I've seen some good come out of it.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
I don't know if you would call this a "special effect," but I was watching a little bit of GH earlier this week and had to laugh at some of their fire scenes. They showed Patrick and some other guy (Jason?) with hoses or fire extinguishers or something, trying to battle a fire. The problem? There wasn't any fire to battle! LoL

It wasn't until the end of the scene that the fire machines actually started working and shooting flames up, but that was after several seconds of the actors looking ridiculously stupid as they tried to battle a blaze that wasn't even there.

It's a sad day when even stunt-soap GH has gone this far downhill. Their big events are usually worth at least a little something -- not this time.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Feb 14 2009, 03:55 AM
PhoenixRising05
I don't know if you would call this a "special effect," but I was watching a little bit of GH earlier this week and had to laugh at some of their fire scenes. They showed Patrick and some other guy (Jason?) with hoses or fire extinguishers or something, trying to battle a fire. The problem? There wasn't any fire to battle! LoL

It wasn't until the end of the scene that the fire machines actually started working and shooting flames up, but that was after several seconds of the actors looking ridiculously stupid as they tried to battle a blaze that wasn't even there.

It's a sad day when even stunt-soap GH has gone this far downhill. Their big events are usually worth at least a little something -- not this time.
I saw that. As I said, GH is very hit or miss with special effects. They've done good and bad IMO.

See, for me, I could care less. I don't watch soaps for that. It's about the story for me. What happens to people as a result of the event, accident, etc is more important. I don't expect soaps to be on par with blockbuster films with special effects. It's about the stories and characters, hence why I could care less that an explosion looks like shit or that there is no fire to battle. It's annoying but my mind usually is elsewhere anyway since it's focused on the story and characters.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 14 2009, 04:03 AM
See, for me, I could care less. I don't watch soaps for that. It's about the story for me.
I don't watch soaps for that either, but one can't deny that such things can become very distracting. When you factor things in like low budget, bad production values, bad acting, etc. it can really dampen one's enjoyment of an entertainment program.

Case in point: MTV's Spyder Games. The writing for that show was excellent, IMO. However, it had a two dollar budget and much of the acting was less than stellar for many of the roles. I still appreciated it for what it was and I certainly appreciated the writing, but the other factors really brought the show down. As much as I would like to ignore these things, they DO matter and they DO make a difference -- otherwise every TV show would have a two dollar budget and still achieve massive ratings.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Feb 14 2009, 04:10 AM
PhoenixRising05
Feb 14 2009, 04:03 AM
See, for me, I could care less. I don't watch soaps for that. It's about the story for me.
I don't watch soaps for that either, but one can't deny that such things can become very distracting. When you factor things in like low budget, bad production values, bad acting, etc. it can really dampen one's enjoyment of an entertainment program.

Case in point: MTV's Spyder Games. The writing for that show was excellent, IMO. However, it had a two dollar budget and much of the acting was less than stellar for many of the roles. I still appreciated it for what it was and I certainly appreciated the writing, but the other factors really brought the show down. As much as I would like to ignore these things, they DO matter and they DO make a difference -- otherwise every TV show would have a two dollar budget and still achieve massive ratings.
Oh, I won't deny that it's not distracting nor that it does not have an effect. I just think it bothers some more then others.

I try not to focus too much on superficial things like that. Maybe that is not the best word to describe what I'm trying to say but it's all I got. I can tolerate actors and actresses looking like shit or special effects sucking or whatever if I, personally, feel the stories are good and I'm engrossed by the characters and what is going on.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 14 2009, 04:19 AM
Oh, I won't deny that it's not distracting nor that it does not have an effect. I just think it bothers some more then others.

I try not to focus too much on superficial things like that. Maybe that is not the best word to describe what I'm trying to say but it's all I got. I can tolerate actors and actresses looking like shit or special effects sucking or whatever if I, personally, feel the stories are good and I'm engrossed by the characters and what is going on.
Well, I guess I watch certain shows for good writing and good production. Personally, I think they go hand-in-hand. Good production can really enhance a story and I love seeing a show that's really put together well with all the T's cross and the I's dotted.

Maybe I'm just noticing the bad production Days lately because the writing is such crap. If I'm not interested in what's happening with the characters, it's like I lose interest and just start looking around the screen for signs of shortcuts and cheapness, LoL.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

"We're sorry, but the clip you selected isn't available from your location."

Fucking NBC, they are doing this more and more.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Why can't soaps do good special effects? Don't say budget because they have always sucked at SE, at least Days has.

ges
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 14 2009, 03:11 AM
I got a chuckle out of how that explosion looks so huge, yet it doesn't even knock the picture off the wall. That thing must be super glued!
Does silicone melt? :shrug:

LovingDays

Fuck men im in Canada i cant see the video

mer4santo
Member Avatar

Out of curiosity did Lucas wage a jihad on Daniel and go in as a suicide bomber? Where the hell does the explosion come from? The owner of the building is gonna be pissed. He probably just finished the repair from the last explosion that happened outside of Sami's apartment. With that kind of risk I bet the rent on that unit has gone down significantly.

Mason
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Feb 14 2009, 12:19 PM
Out of curiosity did Lucas wage a jihad on Daniel and go in as a suicide bomber?
LMAO!

Alligato
Member Avatar

mer - it is supposed to be a gas leak. I do hope they address Chloe or someone calling the gas company because of the smell...and then, maybe in addition to getting drunk, Lucas started smoking again...and then, BLAMMO!

Yea, with Nick's bomb last year and this gas explosion, shouldn't they get that apartment structurally checked? Hope poor Joe wasn't being nanny-ed across the hall. Must have scared the mess out of him!

peaches179

LMAO!!!

MericP
Member Avatar

I'm ok with this.

Bryan's a good actor, so that part will be fine at least. The explosion made me giggle.

I will definately be watching, lol.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Feb 14 2009, 09:51 AM
Why can't soaps do good special effects? Don't say budget because they have always sucked at SE, at least Days has.
Soaps with bigger budgets then Days have been worse or just as bad with special effects so, your right. Budget does not make much difference but I do think soaps don't have the capability that a primetime show has. They can't go to the network and ask for the proper resources needed to make the special effects look great. Soaps never have been able to and I don't think many expect them to. I don't think you watch soaps if you expect the same kind of production values as films or even a primetime drama. Sure, soaps can make a soap look great via good lighting, directing, etc but I don't think they can ever come close to creating a fantastic special effects display nor do I think they want to. They would have to spend too much of their budget to pull it off and no way is that happening in today's climate.

That is why GH went to the computer generated stuff because it seemed easier and more efficient. It looks fake as hell at times because it's basically a very low grade version of the kind of stuff films do but, for soaps, it's a better system then pretty much anyone has and that says alot because GH is very hit or miss, mostly miss, on special effects.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

As GH rolls out the CGI for its stupid Feb events year after year...the suckier the effects get. The two guys w/the fire extinguishers were Patrick and Nicolas.
This made me laugh, then say..."Are we losing ANOTHER SET" because of budget cuts.?" At least over at GH, theyre getting a whole new hospital set. Here at Days, every time they do something to a set, I fear I'll never see it again!
Liz

Kenny
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Feb 14 2009, 07:22 PM
This made me laugh, then say..."Are we losing ANOTHER SET" because of budget cuts.?" At least over at GH, theyre getting a whole new hospital set. Here at Days, every time they do something to a set, I fear I'll never see it again!
Liz
I'm still sad that we lost the original Kiriakis Mansion set when Kate burned it down back in '01. Victor ended up moving into the mansion he's in now, but I recall either him or Nicole saying that it was only a temporary residence until they could re-build their old place. Yet somehow, it ended up becoming permanent and I've never liked it as well as the original.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply