Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Today (2/17) is SN/MBE's last airdate
Topic Started: Feb 17 2009, 03:38 PM (2,216 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Feb 17 2009, 05:40 PM
Already?!

This is just cold. If Corday ever asks SN or MBE to make any special appearances in the future, I hope they tell him where he and his T-shirts can get off.
I really don't think they will come back for small appearances. At least not MBE, since even before this she never did.
Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

SocRMum1
Feb 17 2009, 04:07 PM
What a rotten way to treat what are historically two of the shows brightest stars.

I wonder if Stephen and Mary Beth were aware it was there last day when they were filming these scenes?
I doubt even the writers knew. I think they just planned to send them for another long offscreen hiatus till there are some plans for them or atleast given some kind of exit, but Tomlin decided to let them go immediatelly, so they cannot enter another contract cycle. I would guess he has tried to convince Corday to let them go all the time from fall, but he wasn´t very happy to fire another supercouple so soon after Jarlena.

Edited by jane1978, Feb 17 2009, 05:52 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

It's really sad to me, because their return really could have been the beginning of what DAYS needed, familiarity but fresh. Bo & Hope and John & Marlena were the center of the show for so long, and they really could have been brought on as something fresher, allowing all three to flourish anew. But, these writers and producers just won't learn. They brought them on in a way that anticipated an audience, instead of trying rebuild one, and did nothing to restore them in any sense outside of having a daughter and a few spare bones they had to go around.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Feb 17 2009, 05:48 PM
SocRMum1
Feb 17 2009, 04:07 PM
What a rotten way to treat what are historically two of the shows brightest stars.

I wonder if Stephen and Mary Beth were aware it was there last day when they were filming these scenes?
I doubt even the writers knew. I think they just planned to send them for another long offscreen hiatus till there are some plans for them or atleast given some kind of exit, but Tomlin decided to let them go immediatelly, so they cannot enter another contract cycle. I would guess he has tried to convince Corday to let them go all the time from fall, but he wasn´t very happy to fire another supercouple so soon after Jarlena.

I agree. I mean, even Nelson said he had heard they were out before Thaoo yet the news about Thaoo broke first.

I think Corday wanted to try and keep them on in some form. I think despite his throwing them under the bus in 2007, he wanted to keep them on, even if it was recurring.

I also doubt the writers wanted to get rid of them either, especially with how we started finally getting some stuff with Steve, Kayla, and Stephanie in regards to Philip. I'm convinced Tomlin is the brain in all this and he has Corday's ear. I think he is a present-day Langan. Langan was the only one to get Corday to stay out of the way and to hear him out. I think Tomlin is doing that now.

I do think MBE will be open to appearances. I think the situation is different now then it was before. She has her pie business and family and I also don't see her or SN getting much work. SN likes theatre so he may find work there but MBE isn't really into that. Considering how much in the last two months they've used Kayla in comparison to Steve, I can see them using MBE here and there. SN seems to have been in the dog house for a long time and I don't think he will appear at all.

I also agree with Keith in that they had an opportunity to start fresh with Steve and Kayla in 2006. If I were them, I would not have brought them back the minute they fired JER because it was going to be a summer of transition and when you have that kind of thing going on, it's best to not start a big story like their return during that time. They should've let Hogan handle all of it. However, despite the summer of transition, they still could've salvaged the story by not giving in and having Steve remember so quickly. They needed to do with them what they did with Bo and Hope and John and Marlena in the 90's. They made them popular with new audiences by essentially having them fall in love all over again in front of their very eyes by having them deal with obstacles and so on and so forth. The biggest thing that hurt them was Corday's experiment with Bo, Hope, John, and Marlena in 2007. When he isolated Steve and Kayla during those 6 months, he basically destroyed any chance of them going over with current fans. I also think it would've helped to have had Jack around because current fans knew him and it provided yet another anchor to the Steve and Kayla stuff.

Their return was botched from the start and any attempt to salvage it failed. It's sad because they are one of the best supercouples of all time. The level of impact they had in the 80's was on par with the level of impact J&M had in the 90's and yet they just couldn't re-discover the magic this time. I don't think it was the actors either. The writing just was never there. They did alright by Steve but they never seemed to put Kayla in her element consistently nor did they write stuff that put Steve and Kayla as a couple in their element. The closest they came was last winter when Ava was introduced and then that flopped.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I don't see either returning for any guest apparences, other than maybe coming back for the final episode. Even that's a stretch.

I'm kinda sad they're gone. Don't get me wrong. I've never considered myself a Steve and Kayla fan since they returned. You may remember I was one that always called for their firing. I felt that they weren't needed. And in some aspects, I still feel that way. But the show has gone ahead and made Stephanie such an important character right now, that I'm going to be sad not to see her parents on the show anymore. Part of me wishes Stephanie was leaving as well, the same way Abby did when Jack and Jennifer left.

I'm going to miss Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans, more than their characters. They are such great actors and I really hope another show picks them up. Maybe Evans could go back to ATWT.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Feb 17 2009, 06:47 PM.

wkline
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Feb 17 2009, 04:38 PM
I won't miss them.

Your welcome too your opinion. But I will miss them dearly. Thank you everybody else for your kind words towards the S&K fans. We appreciate it .
Edited by wkline, Feb 17 2009, 06:52 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

aimees76
Feb 17 2009, 04:55 PM
Why couldn't they have sent off Abe and Lexie, or Bo and Hope, and actually written for Steve and Kayla????
Was that really necessary?

I will miss SN and MBE!

pnelsen

No Mary Beth Evans or Stephen Nichols, Deidra Hall, Drake Hogestyn or Thaao Pengliss but lucky "Days" still has Josh Taylor.
I'm done with Days

Mason
Member Avatar

KristianFanForever
Feb 17 2009, 07:43 PM
aimees76
Why couldn't they have sent off Abe and Lexie, or Bo and Hope, and actually written for Steve and Kayla????
You mean you wouldn't have said the same thing about a different couple if it were Bo and Hope being written off?

King
Member Avatar

I was saying "Why couldn't it be Steve and Kayla?" for both Shelle and J&M's firings.
Edited by King, Feb 17 2009, 08:47 PM.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

Mason
Feb 17 2009, 08:37 PM
KristianFanForever
Feb 17 2009, 07:43 PM
aimees76
You mean you wouldn't have said the same thing about a different couple if it were Bo and Hope being written off?
No. I would put the blame squarely on TIIC not fictional characters. :eyeroll:
Edited by KristianFanForever, Feb 17 2009, 09:07 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

wkline
Feb 17 2009, 06:45 PM
Sindacco
I won't miss them.

Your welcome too your opinion. But I will miss them dearly. Thank you everybody else for your kind words towards the S&K fans. We appreciate it .
I know I am.

Kriss4

Sindacco
Feb 18 2009, 08:54 AM
wkline
Feb 17 2009, 06:45 PM
Sindacco
I won't miss them.

I know I am.
Well, you know, I love Steve and Kayla, Sindacco. Came back for them after a 16 year absence, so they're not insignificant to me in any way, shape or form. I can certainly acknowledge that the writing for them wasn't stellar, but then I don't honestly think the writing for any current character is consistently even decent.

When Renee Jones was fired repeatedly or when John Aniston wasn't used to his potential, I hope everyone understood your feelings of sadness over the loss of characters you held dear and didn't have a great time talking about how "they wouldn't miss them."

Tammy
Member Avatar

Now granted I haven't watched the show since J&M left and I'm not a big fan of Payla... but DAMN that is a fucked up way to end things. At least J&M got something, as shitty as it was.

I have to laugh because I think of how different these discussions would be if it was Josh Taylor getting fired. They pay that man ALL that money, so Roman can pop his big forehead into everyone else's sl every other month. :huh:

Shylock

I'll miss what COULD have been with a Steve & Kayla return. They used to be so good, but then again they actually had some good writers back then. Can't say that for any recent Days, except maybe Sheffer and he got his shit torn apart by Corday and the higher ups.

I like the both of them, but what was and what could have been is such a huge difference.

e83talus
Member Avatar

That is seriously insulting. Sorry S&K fans!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply