Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Sami returns to Salem!; March 3rd issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Feb 18 2009, 11:26 AM (8,663 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD features an interview with Ali Sweeney.

Sweeney explains that Sami wants to get back to Allie and Johnny, but at the same time, she's very upset to be leaving Grace. "It's such a Sophie's choice," Sweeney says, explaining that Sami values all of her children equally but "feels like she has to cover her tracks with the baby". Sweeney explains that while Sami really wants to get back to her kids in Salem, "she's trepidatious about what the future holds."

When we first see Sami back in Salem, she's at the door of the DiMera mansion. Nicole opens the door and "fireworks ensue", but Sami is really not interested in arguing with Nicole; she just wants to take her children and leave. As Sweeney explains, "the situation with Grace has really affected Sami. That's her primary focus, so she's less willing to engage in the petty disputes that were there in the past. She just wants to get her life settled."

Then EJ walks in, and Sami is surprised by the feelings she has. Sweeney says that "there's a lot going on under the surface" with Sami covering up a big secret, so she is happy to see EJ again, and "there's a moment that happens between them."

EJ asks Sami if she'd like to hold Sydney, which is difficult for Nicole to see, since Sami is Sydney's biological mother. Sweeney explains that Sami is "affected" by the baby, and that while on the surface it could be explained by the fact that Sami misses Grace, "they're definitely playing the connection between Sami and Sydney that comes from a mother's instinct."

Then, Sami hears that Lucas is in the hospital, so she rushes to see him. Sami is very concerned about him, but Sweeney says that though Sami and Lucas have always cared about each other, Sami "doesn't have the right to be by his side in a wifely way, so it's hard for her. She doesn't know where she stands."

Lucas asks Sami about the baby, and she lies and says the baby was stillborn. As Sweeney says, this is a "brutal" and "painful" lie, but Sami wants as few people to know as possible, and "she can't trust anyone with the secret other than Rafe."

While Sami and Lucas are talking, they have a surprise visitor - Will! Says Sweeney about Dylan Michael Patton, "He's a great kid and we had fun doing our first scenes together and filling him in on the history of Sami, Lucas and Will."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting, Ellie!!

Sounds good!!

Loving the EJ/Sami connection!! :wub2: :cheer:

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie.

Sounds good, except it makes no sense that Sami would start lying to Lucas when he's been in on this from the beginning and has kept his mouth shut so far.

aimees76
Member Avatar

I like the last part ... lol ... the first part royally sucks, but whatever, I'm sure it'll all flip in a few weeks anyway.

Thanks for posting.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Feb 18 2009, 11:26 AM
Sweeney explains that Sami wants to get back to Allie and Johnny, but at the same time, she's very upset to be leaving Grace. "It's such a Sophie's choice," Sweeney says, explaining that Sami values all of her children equally but "feels like she has to cover her tracks with the baby". Sweeney explains that while Sami really wants to get back to her kids in Salem, "she's trepidatious about what the future holds."

Comparing anything that happens on DOOL to Sophie's Choice (the novel, not the sucktacular film with the most miscast leads in film history) . . . ROFL.

I see Sweeney is convinced her character is being heroic, though at least she admits the lie about the baby being stillborn is pretty nasty.

ilovemydays

Sami is so unwilling to share Grace with EJ and Nicole that she's been hiding the baby with strangers and telling people that the baby is dead so you would think she would feel an ounce of guilt that EJ is willing to let her hold his and Nicole's baby.

I bet she doesn't even get the irony.

Ellie

Paxton
Feb 18 2009, 11:45 AM
Comparing anything that happens on DOOL to Sophie's Choice (the novel, not the sucktacular film with the most miscast leads in film history) . . . ROFL.
I have to say that I thought the analogy was in very poor taste. And it's not even a good analogy - Sami is choosing to leave her baby behind and lie about that.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Feb 18 2009, 11:50 AM
I have to say that I thought the analogy was in very poor taste. And it's not even a good analogy - Sami is choosing to leave her baby behind and lie about that.
Right. There simply is no comparison between what Sami is doing and a Nazi officer ordering a woman to choose which of her children will be killed.

Faye

She should die, just to get the hell out of Salem!
Edited by Faye, Feb 18 2009, 11:55 AM.

esp13
Member Avatar

Particularly when Sami could solve the whole dilemma by, I don't know, telling the truth. The more they try to sell this as Sami sacrificing to save her daughter, the more it comes across as just plain stupid. And telling Lucas the baby was stillborn? Nice.

If they are trying to make me actually feel more sympathy for Nicole than this is really good way to go about it.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie ...

I actually appreciate that Ali is so diplomatic when she gives interviews ... granted she was way off mark with the Sophies Choice comment. I don't think we can get into a great debate over this interview or reading inbetween the lines. She wasn't even all that about the nuWill - which for those Chris fans out there will appreciate ....

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

While I hate that Sami has left 'her' baby, and really hate that she lies to Lucas (who has proven to be trustworthy with her secret thus far) about it being stillborn, I recognize that this is just lousy writing. Ali has to sell this crap to the best of her ability - just as Ari had to sell telling the mags that Nicole wasn't stealing the EJamlet and tossing aside Mia's baby for selfish reasons. I'm sure both actresses were gagging a bit when they had to spew this crap.

But I do have to say I absolutely LOVE the description of her reaction to seeing EJ again. :wub2: And it is rather surprising that EJ would ask if Sami would like to hold Sidney, knowing how much Nicole hates her.

samixxx
Member Avatar

Thank you for the article. Sami feeling a natural connection/mother's instinct with her real daughter is great.

ilovemydays

cjknick
Feb 18 2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks Ellie ...

I actually appreciate that Ali is so diplomatic when she gives interviews ... granted she was way off mark with the Sophies Choice comment. I don't think we can get into a great debate over this interview or reading inbetween the lines. She wasn't even all that about the nuWill - which for those Chris fans out there will appreciate ....

Uh-huh, because everyone loves it when actor speaks plainly and unenthusiastically about her co-stars and work while tossing glitter over her character to disguise how heinous her character really is.

Telling Lucas that her baby is dead just to keep her secret is SICK.

cjknick
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Feb 18 2009, 12:02 PM
While I hate that Sami has left 'her' baby, and really hate that she lies to Lucas (who has proven to be trustworthy with her secret thus far) about it being stillborn, I recognize that this is just lousy writing. Ali has to sell this crap to the best of her ability - just as Ari had to sell telling the mags that Nicole wasn't stealing the EJamlet and tossing aside Mia's baby for selfish reasons. I'm sure both actresses were gagging a bit when they had to spew this crap.

But I do have to say I absolutely LOVE the description of her reaction to seeing EJ again. :wub2: And it is rather surprising that EJ would ask if Sami would like to hold Sidney, knowing how much Nicole hates her.
I agree what was EJ thinking letting Sami hold her own baby I mean Sydney? EJ is just asking for it - Nicole will give him all kinds of hell for that!

Dawn7
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

ilovemydays
Feb 18 2009, 12:08 PM
cjknick
Thanks Ellie ...

Uh-huh, because everyone loves it when actor speaks plainly and unenthusiastically about her co-stars and work while tossing glitter over her character to disguise how heinous her character really is.

But you do get that Ali Sweeney didn't write this mess...right? :huh1:

ilovemydays

SocRMum1
Feb 18 2009, 12:33 PM
ilovemydays
Feb 18 2009, 12:08 PM
cjknick
Thanks Ellie ...

But you do get that Ali Sweeney didn't write this mess...right? :huh1:
WTH are you talking about? I was referring to Alison's interview. Nothing in my post suggests that she had anything to do with the writing of the show.

Try to understand that I was ridiculing Ali's interpretation of her character's motivation and actions.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

sophie's choice? blech. it's really disgusting that sami is supposed to be the heroine of this s/l and that we're supposed to buy that she's doing all of this to keep her children safe. sorry, i can't ignore sami living in stefano's mansion for months without complaint and letting his maid babysit for her. either way, comparing a woman who has to choose on the spot which of her children will be murdered is a far, far cry from 'i'm scared of my kid's grandpa.'

also, the only thing she should be feeling when she holds sydney is guilt that she's lying to a man that's a good father about the existence of her daughter. don't even get me started on that BS 'mother's instinct/i know you're my kid even though there's no way i could know it' crap. it's so over-the-top and was ineffective and cheesy the last time it was used between shawn and claire. for me, that kind of unrealistic garbage sours storylines. JMO.

the only thing i can say about the lucas lie is that i don't agree with AS's take on sami's motives. she has no reason not to trust lucas, since he has kept her entire pregnancy a secret(except for chloe overhearing, that is, and sami doesn't know about that). the only motive i can think of is that she's ashamed that she left her baby in an orphange and doesn't want lucas to know it and get angry with her. that's my take on her lie about grace's birth.

i really am trying to think of something nice to say about this interview, and the only thing i can think of is that i'm glad will is back.
Edited by luvpumpkns, Feb 18 2009, 12:47 PM.

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie! I can't wait for the new William. I just hope the actor is good enough for the character.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply