Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Sami returns to Salem!; March 3rd issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Feb 18 2009, 11:26 AM (8,561 Views)
AidanGreensFan

ilovemydays
Feb 18 2009, 03:37 PM
Then you clearly haven't paid any attention to the posts or maybe your too busy counting the gold bricks you think Ali is crapping because I didn't say anything in this thread about Nicole's lies being justified.

Seriously, I bet if Ali could take back that stupid "Sophie's Choice" comment she would. Just because I think Sami is a dumbass doesn't mean I think the actress is.

Allow me to clarify, I don't hate Alison. I have admitted that I think she's an average actress but I think she's an excellent host on TBL. I also liked her work on "Fear Factor". Who knows, maybe she'll see the viewers comments about her shabby acting and her competitive nature will kick in and she'll get some acting lessons. I, for one would be happy if she would just stop phoning it in.

I don't think Ali is crapping anything. I've said from post one both actresses are doing the same thing which is justifying their characters actions.

If you don't hate Alison - you would never know. Seriously.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ilovemydays

Really? You think my opinion that Alison is a mediocre actress that is a little heavy handed with the glitter for her character makes me a hater?

I have news for you, just because I don't think she's perfect doesn't make me a hater.

How dare I ridicule the great Alison Sweeny? Gasp!
Edited by ilovemydays, Feb 18 2009, 03:49 PM.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone!! Didn't we just have the same argument (42 pgs) with different characters???

I just find it funny how we're arguing from opposite ends of the spectrum now.......A little hypocritical isn't it????

It's just an interview..........in the same way the ejami's read too much into last weeks interview the ejoles are reading way too much into this. Oh well................

ROUND TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faye

In my opinion, Sami doesn't love EJ, she just can't stand that EJ's finally happy WITH Nicole.

ilovemydays

IA there are hypocrites in this thread but I'm not one of them! :p

Even if I think Ali's interpretation of her character's motives are cracked I respect her right to voice her opinions. Heck, I'm even glad she put them out there. :biggrin: The laugh was appreciated.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

JANALH
Feb 18 2009, 03:57 PM
I just find it funny how we're arguing from opposite ends of the spectrum now.......A little hypocritical isn't it????
It's comparing apples to oranges because the JS/AZ interview had to do with how the actors developed past storyline and how they worked together. This interview, by contrast, is a storyline promotional interview (the JS/AZ interview barely touched on future story, except to say that JS said he didn't know what was going to happen when the lies came out). There was no future story to discuss re: EJole--that interview told us nothing about what is going to happen with them in the future. By contrast, this interview tells us what is coming up in the next week or two.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Paxton
Feb 18 2009, 04:08 PM
JANALH
It's comparing apples to oranges because the JS/AZ interview had to do with how the actors developed past storyline and how they worked together. This interview, by contrast, is a storyline promotional interview (the JS/AZ interview barely touched on future story, except to say that JS said he didn't know what was going to happen when the lies came out). There was no future story to discuss re: EJole--that interview told us nothing about what is going to happen with them in the future. By contrast, this interview tells us what is coming up in the next week or two.
Okay, but why all the anomosity towards AS for telling things from her character's perspective? Maybe her choice in referencing "Sofie's Choice" was a little shortsighted, but come on.........it's just an interview. It's just her interpretation from SAMI'S point of view, much the same as all the characters talk from their point of view. They are going to defend where their character is coming from. I suppose they need to, to be able to play it convincingly.

I just find it amusing how we can all get twisted out of sorts when it comes to JS/AZ/AS (or even Bryan D) giving interviews, when in reality their just trying to do their job.

Can you imagine if JS/AZ/AS read our reactions to their interviews??? They'd probably never want to do another one!!!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie! Too bad she was never really gone.

Comparing Sami to Sophie's choice is RIDICULOUS to say the least.
Edited by Jiggs, Feb 18 2009, 04:20 PM.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Another point I was going to make and I lost my train of thought......I wasn't necessarily comparing the context of the interview, but rather our reactions............

Paxton
Member Avatar

JANALH
Feb 18 2009, 04:20 PM
Another point I was going to make and I lost my train of thought......I wasn't necessarily comparing the context of the interview, but rather our reactions............
My point was that I expect the reactions to be different to different types of interviews. Agreed that all actors are going to rationalize their character's actions in interviews. However, this interview struck me as AS not even hinting that her character may bear some responsibility for her actions. The analogy to Sophie's Choice in and of itself implies that AS thinks that Sami's actions are excused because somebody made her do something terrible--it was Sami's own decision to hide the baby's paternity from EJ. I will concede that at least she admitted the lie about the baby being stillborn is pretty bad. However, she's talking about having "feelings" for EJ or whatever but none of these feelings (as she's previewed them, at least) center on her feeling guilt or sadness for keeping his child from him. I don't think it's out of order for an actor (any actor) to admit what their character is doing could be interpreted a variety of different ways, not always favorable to the character.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Feb 18 2009, 01:46 PM

I really dont think that AS has read/watched "Sophie's Choice."
Liz

If she has she should be embarrassed by her comparison to Sami. If she hasn't she should know better not to refer to something you don't know anything about.

ilovemydays

JANALH
Feb 18 2009, 04:18 PM
Paxton
Feb 18 2009, 04:08 PM
JANALH
Okay, but why all the anomosity towards AS for telling things from her character's perspective? Maybe her choice in referencing "Sofie's Choice" was a little shortsighted, but come on.........it's just an interview. It's just her interpretation from SAMI'S point of view, much the same as all the characters talk from their point of view. They are going to defend where their character is coming from. I suppose they need to, to be able to play it convincingly.

I just find it amusing how we can all get twisted out of sorts when it comes to JS/AZ/AS (or even Bryan D) giving interviews, when in reality their just trying to do their job.

Can you imagine if JS/AZ/AS read our reactions to their interviews??? They'd probably never want to do another one!!!
I don't see where anyone said anything out of line in this thread. I have been the most critical of the interview but I've never said that Alison didn't have the right to say what she did nor did I say she owed me her career or anything insane like that.

There have been nothing in this thread that comes close to some of the responses this thread:
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8067337/1/

I thought the posters claiming that JS owed them his career were HILARIOUS.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Alligato
Feb 18 2009, 01:48 PM
AS - seriously find another comparison. Sophie's Choice? :shrug: Not even close.

I understand AS is trying to sell her story. Maybe she wants to get back into the EJami story because she knows that is where she got the most attention, and knowing that Ari has been getting all the accolades, she needs her share. I wouldn't blame her.
But having Rafe back and kissing her, wanting to be next to Lucas and taking her wifely place, and her "under the surface" feelngs for EJ - something has GOT to give.
But hey, as long as she isn't crying, I should be happy.
ROFLMAO!!!

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Paxton
Feb 18 2009, 04:29 PM
JANALH
My point was that I expect the reactions to be different to different types of interviews. Agreed that all actors are going to rationalize their character's actions in interviews. However, this interview struck me as AS not even hinting that her character may bear some responsibility for her actions. The analogy to Sophie's Choice in and of itself implies that AS thinks that Sami's actions are excused because somebody made her do something terrible--it was Sami's own decision to hide the baby's paternity from EJ. I will concede that at least she admitted the lie about the baby being stillborn is pretty bad. However, she's talking about having "feelings" for EJ or whatever but none of these feelings (as she's previewed them, at least) center on her feeling guilt or sadness for keeping his child from him. I don't think it's out of order for an actor (any actor) to admit what their character is doing could be interpreted a variety of different ways, not always favorable to the character.
i totally agree with this. that's why i can't really compare the recent AZ/JS article with this one. now, had AZ said something ridiculous along the lines of 'nicole only stole sami's baby so ej could have access to his daughter' then i would say that she was misinterpreting the character and glossing over her misdeeds. but AZ admitted that nicole wants ej, and that's basically what motivates her to do what she does. AS, on the other hand, is acting like her character's motivations are 100% honest and self-sacrificing, and i totally disagree with that. obviously, she has the right to interpret sami anyway she wants to, and perhaps she's even encouraged to make sami look like the heroine--i don't know. all i know is that sami seems a lot more complex to me than the way she has been superficially portrayed in the writing in the last year and i also think her motivations should be more complex and scheming than this article makes them out to be. to make sami into the next heroine is both a disservice to the character and the actress' strengths, IMO.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
Feb 18 2009, 04:41 PM
Paxton
JANALH
i totally agree with this. that's why i can't really compare the recent AZ/JS article with this one. now, had AZ said something ridiculous along the lines of 'nicole only stole sami's baby so ej could have access to his daughter' then i would say that she was misinterpreting the character and glossing over her misdeeds. but AZ admitted that nicole wants ej, and that's basically what motivates her to do what she does. AS, on the other hand, is acting like her character's motivations are 100% honest and self-sacrificing, and i totally disagree with that. obviously, she has the right to interpret sami anyway she wants to, and perhaps she's even encouraged to make sami look like the heroine--i don't know. all i know is that sami seems a lot more complex to me than the way she has been superficially portrayed in the writing in the last year and i also think her motivations should be more complex and scheming than this article makes them out to be. to make sami into the next heroine is both a disservice to the character and the actress' strengths, IMO.
I agree with both of these posts............I think. :P I think the character of Sami has be grosely mishandled and it's probably hard as an actor to justify some of her actions over the last year. I think, maybe, AS was trying to do what she thinks Sami would do and that's justify what she did. That really is something Sami would do. The old Sami would never bear responsibility for her actions. AS generally just gives the "right now" of the character from the viewpoint of the character..........maybe that's all this was. I certainly don't agree with alot Sami has done over the last year, anymore that I agree with what Nicole's done. But I do think that both actors, when giving interviews try to look at it from their characters perspective, by that I mean, they ask themselves "how would Sami/Nicole answer that question?" And then they try to convey what they think the character is thinking/feeling at that moment in the storyline. I also think that the actor will always be somewhat sympathetic to their character.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

luvpumpkns
Feb 18 2009, 04:41 PM
Paxton
JANALH
As much to prove to myself I wasn't crazy as anything else I went digging through a few of AZ's recent interviews.

Here is a snippet from the interview with Michael Fairman:
Quote:

MICHAEL:

We all see a ‘baby switch’ coming. Do you like the idea?

ARIANNE:

It’s written differently than your typical ‘baby switches’ that have happened in the past, at least on our show. I like how they are writing the character; very carefully.

MICHAEL:

You almost feel bad for Nicole, in a way. She is so desperate to hold on to EJ. Why?

ARIANNE:

He represents the child that she had. He represents that she fell in love again. I think Eric Brady was her first love, and she messed that up, again. The baby is half the reason EJ and Nicole fell in love in the first place. In Nicole’s eyes, she probably feels she could not have had EJ unless she was pregnant. I feel that is the whole reason she is doing this; to have a real family, and trying to escape her past that she can’t get out of. Even though everything she is doing is somehow related to her past, she is not trying to hurt anyone this time.

Really? I wonder if Sami would agree with that last statement? Or how about Mia? Or even Dr. Baker - how many times has she threatened his life now?

From the SOD article dated 2/3/09:
Quote:

and Zucker explains to SOD that Nicole is reasoning that "Sami wants to give up her baby anyway, why not give EJ his baby?" Zucker says that in Nicole's mind, this is about EJ; Nicole wants to give EJ this baby as a gift, because he'd be "heartbroken" if he knew his baby had died. Also, Nicole is envious of Sami, because as Zucker puts it, "[Sami] keeps having these kids and Nicole can't have one."

Something tells me that EJ would have preferred the truth, at the time of the miscarriage, than to have Nicole go to all this trouble to save him from being 'heartbroken'. :unsure:

My point in sharing these quotes (and I do think there are others that Ari has given throughout the course of this mess of a storyline) is simply that when interviewed, both actresses are sharing where they feel the characters are coming from. Do I honestly think Ari Zucker would lie about a miscarriage, then plot to deceive the father by finding a substitute baby but at the last minute switch that baby with another unbeknownst to either mother? Of course not. Do I honestly believe Ali Sweeney would hide a pregnancy from the father under the ridiculous assumption that his family is evil, whilst leaving another child with said family and then leaving the new child in an orphanage until she can figure out a way to trick everyone? Uh...no. But I respect both actresses for trying to present their characters actions in a way that at least sheds light on their point of view, however skewed it may be. They both have sold ridiculous plot points in a 'glittery' fashion, so to speak. They are certainly not the first actors to do so - and they won't be the last.

AidanGreensFan

JANALH
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone!! Didn't we just have the same argument (42 pgs) with different characters???

It's just an interview..........in the same way the ejami's read too much into last weeks interview the ejoles are reading way too much into this. Oh well................

Just a clarification - I had no problem with anything Ari did or didn't say in her interview with James. Any issues I had were solely with James for a lack of foresight and tact (IMO). That being said that interview was not storyline specific per se - it was much more a piece about the couple in general and the actors.

I have read multiple articles (storyline based) where Ari justifies Nicole's actions - just as Ali did with Sami. Both actresses are doing what any actor would do and I don't take issue with either of them doing exactly what they did.

I do take issue with AS getting slammed for doing the exact same thing as Ari - and somehow it's inferred that those of us that call it out are hypocrites.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

AidanGreensFan
Feb 18 2009, 05:32 PM
JANALH

Just a clarification - I had no problem with anything Ari did or didn't say in her interview with James. Any issues I had were solely with James for a lack of foresight and tact (IMO). That being said that interview was not storyline specific per se - it was much more a piece about the couple in general and the actors.

I have read multiple articles (storyline based) where Ari justifies Nicole's actions - just as Ali did with Sami. Both actresses are doing what any actor would do and I don't take issue with either of them doing exactly what they did.

I do take issue with AS getting slammed for doing the exact same thing as Ari - and somehow it's inferred that those of us that call it out are hypocrites.
I think you misinterpreted my post, Aidan. It was meant to be funny!! ;) Kind of tongue in cheek!! Sorry if your offended!

Actually, if you check my posts, you'll see you and I are on the same side.......I've been trying to defend AS thru this whole thread!! ;)

ilovemydays

Oh Good Grief!

An explanation is not an excuse nor is it a justification. To explain only clarifies what was going on. If I said, I was late because I overslept would that be an excuse? Would it justify my being late? Just because her motivation wasn't to hurt anyone isn't the same thing as saying that she hadn't hurt anyone. Ari didn't say that what Nicole did was OK.

Alison, with that unfortunate "Sophie's Choice" comment gave Sami a free pass for lying about her baby being dead.

Why can't we just criticize the stupid comment without having every other actor or character drawn into it?
Edited by ilovemydays, Feb 18 2009, 05:43 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar

AidanGreensFan
Feb 18 2009, 05:32 PM
Is anyone else sick and tired of the word "hypocrite" getting thrown around here? I'm pretty sure that the word "hypocrite" constitutes poster bashing.

If you want to make your points citing examples from former interview of AZ, be my guest. And furthermore, I very seriously doubt that when summaries of her interviews were posted here or elsewhere, that there weren't comments about how could she justify her character's actions. Do I get to call EJami fans hypocrites if any of y'all rolled your eyes at AZ's comments and sniped about how could she possibly justify stealing a baby and throwing it out like yesterday's trash and etc., all the stuff I've been seeing? Were you shrugging your shoulders then and saying, hey, she's just trying to sell the story?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply