Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Rachel Melvin blog 2/20
Topic Started: Feb 21 2009, 01:12 AM (846 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Friday, February 20, 2009
'Waiting For "My" World to Change'

You can spend so many hours, days, weeks, even months of your life waiting for something to happen. Do you ever realize how much time you literally spend just waiting? For a red light to turn green, for the phone to ring with good news, for the woman's line to move in the bathroom at the end of the movie... for the winter to end just so you can actually reap the benefits of shaving your legs, for more than just a day. If I could keep track of all the minutes I spent doing any of those things, in addition to the minutes spent waiting for the automated service to connect me to an actual human being at the cable company- I figure I could safely have AT LEAST a month of my life back.

Currently, I am waiting for my entire life to change. Waiting for the next job, waiting to find my new apartment and to move, waiting for my hair to grow out so I can be more marketable...I literally feel like my life is unable to obtain any bit of progression because I have to wait for all the little pieces of my life to fall into place, before I can actually form the puzzle and start enjoying the picture.

They say that good things come to those who wait. But they also say that God only helps those who help themsleves. So I am to believe that if I wait while still being active in my goals, I will be blessed with the best of what I deserve. But I find it so hard to be active in pushing these things along when they are so out of my control. I can't force apartment managers to call me back when I call in reference to a property. I can't force casting directors to give me a job. As far as I'm concerned I'm doing what I can in my part. I'm making the effort, and I'm giving it my all. And in turn, I'm sitting at home- waiting for the phone to ring with good news. It gets so exhusting and often times disappointing when there is no news at all. And if no news really WAS good news-as they say, then why am I having such a hard finding the good?

(Exhale) I just felt the need to get out my neurosis regarding the waiting game-as I call it. I'm trying hard to be patient, but I'm proactive. I'm driven. I make things happen, and leaving it up to someone else to do it for me, has never been a responsibility I've been willingly able to hand over.

So I wait....

http://rachelmelvinblog.blogspot.com/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

I feel sorry for Rachel. I feel she overestimated her star power a little and now is there for a rude awakening. I applaud her she decided to not wait for crumbs when she felt TPTB wants to focus more on different characters in her age group, but there is 10 000 actors in LA and only 8 soap EPīs who have power to put the thumb up or down. It will not be so easy how she might thought.

But I like the post. She is definitely a very smart woman and is even showing signs of a literary talent in her blog, which interestingly was never the case with Dena who is supposed to be a professional with 20+ years in the business. So, maybe Rachel should try it as a writer.
Edited by jane1978, Feb 21 2009, 06:07 AM.

lastDays
Member Avatar

jane1978
Feb 21 2009, 06:02 AM
I feel sorry for Rachel. I feel she overestimated her star power a little and now is there for a rude awakening. I applaud her she decided to not wait for crumbs when she felt TPTB wants to focus more on different characters in her age group, but there is 10 000 actors in LA and only 8 soap EPīs who have power to put the thumb up or down. It will not be so easy how she might thought.

But I like the post. She is definitely a very smart woman and is even showing signs of a literary talent in her blog, which interestingly was never the case with Dena who is supposed to be a professional with 20+ years in the business. So, maybe Rachel should try it as a writer.
I would love it if Rachel got a job as a soap writer.Especially if it was replacing Dena.What poetic justice! :laugh:

lene
Member Avatar

This is me being VERRRYYY selfish, but.. i hope she doesn't get any offers, and decides to stay.

Daytime
Member Avatar

Wow, Rachel really seems like a really smart person. I have spent alot of time sterotyping actors and actesses, I sometimes think they are not very smart people. But after reading Rachel's blogs this past year, my whole opinion of actors have changed.

Bradyclan

I love her blog and yes, she would probably be a better writer than Dena.

I'm sure she'll find another job soon. She hasn't even shot her last episode on Days. So, she's being very proactive in looking for another job while she still working at Days.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I don't know how it works in the entertainment industry, but every time I switched jobs, I made sure to have something lined up before I turned in my notice. That is also majorly true in current economic times.

That said, I hope she finds something soon. it's rough being unemployed, and I hope she can keep pursuing her dream. I would never want to be an actress in LA though.

Is she really more marketable with long hair? Especially when so many actresses have it? Couldn't they just give her extensions if they needed it for the part?

Good luck, Rachel! You are one of the few bright ones out there!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rachel really is a lovely girl. Very intelligent and I agree she should be a writer. Even simple blog posts by her so more depth then Dena LOL. I enjoyed reading this. I always like reading her blogs.

Having said that, why do I get the feeling she will be back on Days sooner rather then later? Her last blog seemed so optimistic and hopeful and this one seems deflating. Rachel is smart and I'm sure she thought about this but even the smart ones don't always make it big. I do think she thought it would be easier then it looks and that maybe she over estimated her value. It's not 8 years ago when young actors and actresses like her could bolt and find some sort of work, at least for a little while. It's hard out there for everyone now with the economy and network cutbacks. If actresses in her bracket like Lindsey Hartley and Martha Madison can't find work, chances are it won't be easy for her either. Plus, she her a very unique look to her. I think that is why she is growing her hair out for marketability (which is good because I can't stand her hair style right now LOL).

I hope she finds something or, if she doesn't, that she returns to Days. Part of me thinks that as much as she thought about this, that she left moreso because she felt her character had hit a wall and was going nowhere right now so she took the opportunity to get out and see what's out there. If she ends up coming back, she can start with a clean slate pretty much.

The good thing for her is she still is working at Days for a bit longer so she has time to find something.

Days4Life

I love Rachel and wish her the best, but at the same time I'm very nervous for her. It's always difficult to get a steady acting job, but in this economy and with the cutbacks in the entertainment business, it may be much harder than she thought to get enough work to support herself. Look at NBC alone--by handing over to Jay Leno the 10:00 ET spot next fall, they have given up five hours of primetime programming a week. Less programming equals less opportunity for actors to find work. I believe RM is very talented, but that's no guarantee she will find a job. I remember hearing an actor on a talk show recently, a very good actor (but I can't remember his name right now), who said he was ready to move back east and work for his brother's construction business when he finally landed a series role.

So, good luck to Rachel, and if nothing works out, I'd love to see her continue with or come back to DAYS. She's a fine actress, an intelligent young woman and a very good writer. She has a bright future; she may just have to move a little more cautiously than she wants to right now.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

I think she will be just fine.She is very talented and young..why not take the chance now??And she does have the option to return,so says Corday.Good Luck to her..I wish her well

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I have no issues with her leaving Days even with the economy is bad. I know some shows are suffering but TV is always going to have television out there, though she may have to move to find work. If maybe Days was more successful and we weren't seeing it's own writing on the wall, that might be another thing. But why should she remain on a sinking ship to only wait for all the actors to get their pink slip and try searching together?

I think she's gonna find something fairly soon now that she's free to search more openly then before. She's talented and youn so that works out for her whatever way she goes. She keeps saying she was never going to stick with soaps the rest of her life, but I think that's where she has her best bet.
Edited by Tripp, Mar 2 2009, 04:55 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply