Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Rachel Melvin - Why I quit; March 10th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Feb 25 2009, 11:34 AM (3,311 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD features an interview with Rachel Melvin, where she discusses her decision to leave Days.

Melvin explains that when her contract was up last year, she'd been debating leaving at that point, because she'd wanted to "try other things". She says she'd never intended to be on a soap that long - "That's not saying that it's a negative thing, but when you think of soaps, you think, 'Oh, beautiful people,' and I never categorized myself that way, and I guess I just kind of discounted the possibility of working on one." She says that this being said, however, working on Days was "the most amazing, magical thing that could have happened" since she's grown so much in the past four years, and she's met some wonderful people.

Melvin says that last year, she ended up signing a one-year deal: "I didn't necessarily want a raise or want outs, I just wanted one year." She decided that this would be her year to save up money, and unless at the end of the year she was "so artistically engaged in a story" that she couldn't say no to staying, she'd leave.

Ken Corday called Melvin [to discuss her leaving] when she was on her way to an audition, and she was at first worried, because "in a sense it's like a breakup", and she was "unprepared how to handle it". However, Corday praised her decision: "Everything he had to say to me, I felt like a father or an uncle telling me... I did not feel like it was the owner of the show talking to me, and I mean that in a very, very good way. It was as a friend, someone who I felt genuinely cared about the path of my career".

Melvin says that the role of Chelsea won't be recast, and that if she wanted to return, "it could be a possibility, not a guarantee", but she is grateful to Corday that "he kind of left that door open".

Melvin then discusses which of her castmates knew she was leaving. She says Darin Brooks "is one of my close friends and knew I'd be leaving", and that Blake Berris "of course knew". However, "Shelley is a different story"; Melvin says that Shelley Hennig "is really kind of upset, not in a mad way, but in a very disappointed way" and that Hennig keeps texting her and telling her she's going to miss her.

Melvin does not know her last air date, but she says her contract is up April 18th, and the show is off the first two weeks of April. "I could only be here for three more weeks. It's weird to think about."

SOD then has a small piece where Melvin mentions a Tiffany charm bracelet that the fans from "cure my tragedy", a Chelsea/Dan fan site, sent her for her birthday. She says what a nice feeling it was to get the little blue Tiffany box, and that she'd just done crying scenes on the show, so she was "feeling vulnerable" and started crying when she saw it. "It was a nice surprise and I am so grateful to everyone there. These people don't even know me and they're giving me something so special."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie ... that was really a very nice article ... exit with class!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm going to miss Melvin. I hope she gets nominated for another Emmy this year, and hopefully gets the win since Jennifer Landon is no longer around, and last year would've been Melvin's had Landon not been there.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Thanks, Ellie! That was a nice read. I'm curious to know what, realistically, she thinks is up next for her.

This made me laugh:

Quote:

She decided that this would be her year to save up money, and unless at the end of the year she was "so artistically engaged in a story" that she couldn't say no to staying, she'd leave.

I guess her character romancing her uncle wasn't being artistically engaged enough--can't blame her. I hope she finds success elsewhere.

Kenny
Member Avatar

She's a talented girl and I really hope she finds the success she's looking for. She's grown as an actress by leaps and bounds.

It sounds like she and Hennig were really close.

Corday licking her ass is no surprise. She's under the age of thirty, so of course he'll treat her respectfully.

jane1978

I love Rachel and Iīm not at all surprised Corday supported and congratulated her for her decision. I think they really didnīt know what to do with the character and the pairing with Max was just a extemporary solution TPTB has never been very sure with. You can tell they are afraid invest into it and compared with the eventfull way they are building Phillip/Steph, but even Chloe/Daniel, Max/Chelsea pairing is realy very blah even when I think the actors are very cute together and have chemistry.

I think Corday would not allow Rachel to be fired, but her decision has saved him and Tomlin a lot of headaches. Now they can bring in an unrealated character for Max, or maybe even bring back Abby.

lene
Member Avatar

REEEEEEEEEECAST CHELSEA!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Now would be the best time to bring back Abby.

Deleted User
Deleted User

DrewHamilton
Feb 25 2009, 12:48 PM
Well Corday said they are bringing someone on for Max. I would think he meant someone new. We'll see I guess.

I really hope she shows up somewhere else soon. She is one of my favorite actresses in all of Daytime and has had some great material over the years that she knocked out of the park.
Quote Post Goto Top

lastDays
Member Avatar

"Artistic" ,Dena is not :laugh:
Edited by lastDays, Feb 25 2009, 01:06 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I wonder what reason they'll come up with for her to leave town?
Quote Post Goto Top

lene
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Oh hell no. :tounge:

Bradyclan

Amello
Feb 25 2009, 12:59 PM
DrewHamilton
Well Corday said they are bringing someone on for Max. I would think he meant someone new. We'll see I guess.

I really hope she shows up somewhere else soon. She is one of my favorite actresses in all of Daytime and has had some great material over the years that she knocked out of the park.
Same here. I hope she shows up somewhere else very soon. She's very talented and I really hope that she gets an Emmy nod and win this year.

I didn't know that she only signed a one year deal, last year. I wonder if this is why they started to "fade out" her character just in case she wouldn't resign. It makes sense now..

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Amello
Feb 25 2009, 01:08 PM
I bet she gets accepted into some school or something and has to make the choice between Max and school. Max pushes her to choose school over him by acting like a jerk because he knows school is more important. In the end, Max looks honorable for loving Chelsea so much that he'd risk happiness so she can be successful, and Chelsea leaves town to better her life.

That's just my prediction. Lets see how close I am. :smile:

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Aww I love Melvin and agree with cj, she is very classy

If you guys haven't seen her very first movie "Boo" with Dee Wallace Stone you should rent it. She really is a great actress.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Well Rick its clear by the limited time she had in that trailer that she dies ... LOL But yes I called her my Strasser in training, I love her a lot. (I am not insane, nor Terry, just having an overzealous moment. :)

Does she have a big part in the film?
Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

DrewHamilton
Feb 25 2009, 01:26 PM
Amello
Feb 25 2009, 01:08 PM
I bet she gets accepted into some school or something and has to make the choice between Max and school. Max pushes her to choose school over him by acting like a jerk because he knows school is more important. In the end, Max looks honorable for loving Chelsea so much that he'd risk happiness so she can be successful, and Chelsea leaves town to better her life.

That's just my prediction. Lets see how close I am. :smile:
Or they could have her go see Billie.

I will miss Rachel, but I am glad this will put an end to Max dating his nieces (it should anyway!).

Thanks, Ellie!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Amello
Feb 25 2009, 01:43 PM
Well Rick its clear by the limited time she had in that trailer that she dies ... LOL But yes I called her my Strasser in training, I love her a lot. (I am not insane, nor Terry, just having an overzealous moment. :)

Does she have a big part in the film?
She's in a fair ammount of the movie.

I won't give it all away but the others stumble upon her and learn she is there because she did the same thing the others did, and now she can't get out and she's going crazy.

oldschoolfan

Nice article, I wish her all the best. And yes, I agree, she has grown as an actor since I returned to watching in 2006.

Mason
Member Avatar

OT, but Rick, I love your Gay Mafia Pride banner! LoL!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply