Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Getting to Know John Callahan; new production blog
Topic Started: Feb 25 2009, 10:51 PM (624 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Getting to Know John Callahan
February 25, 05:47 PM

I know I haven't posted a blog in a while. I am sorry! The truth was I was waiting for the perfect opportunity to meet some of the new faces of "Days of our Lives." Well, my patience paid off. When I found out that soap veteran John Callahan was participating in a photo shoot, I grabbed my recorder and headed over.

When I first met John, I found him to be polite, outgoing and very funny. I also think he's been doing a great job playing Dr. Baker. I don't know about you, but I'm really enjoying this character. He's slimy, but charming and has great on-screen chemistry with Ari Zuker, don't you agree?

Posted Image

In between photo takes, I managed to ask a few questions to John Callahan and as always I will share with you his answers.

Days Insider: You have quite a nice fan base over at the NBC.com message boards. How does that feel?

John Callahan: Really? That's great news. I think they (the writers) are writing very interesting things for me and I think they are seeing the chemistry between Nicole and Dr. Baker, hopefully they will run with that.

Days Insider: Do you like playing a shady character like this, as opposed to your last big role on "'All My Children" as good guy, Edmund Grey?

John Callahan: Well, this isn't the first time I have played shady. I was on "Santa Barbara" as Greg Hunt in the '80s and he was kind of shady and a gangster's right-hand man. Before that, I was on "Falcon Crest" and there, I was a playboy son. So, this role is kind of a throwback of what I did 20 years ago. At this point, in one's career, you aren't exactly defusing bombs and saving the girl, it's nice to have a character so interesting. You are not really rooting for him, but you can't wait to see what he does next. It's really all you can ask for.

Days Insider: I feel like they are just scratching the surface with Dr. Baker. What do you think?

John Callahan: From your lips to God's ears! I hope so. Dr. Baker the Baby Maker has a nice ring to it. I don't know what they will do with me. The writers are very mum about it and play their cards close to the vest. I really, honestly, don't know where they are going to go with the character, but they do have some talented writers on the show and Gary Tomlin is a great executive producer. I am looking forward to reading what is next! I hope you and the fans will be pleased with what comes next.

Days Insider: Well, I can definitely say that fans feel like you are a breath of fresh air on the show and can't wait to see what comes next.

John Callahan: Like I said before, I am touched. It's not like I am computer illiterate, but I don't usually really read reviews. But, I am glad the fans like what's going on with my character and I hope Dr. Baker can give the fans more to write about on the message boards. I am doing a photo shoot, that's got to be a good sign!

Days Insider: Is there a character you look forward to Dr. Baker sharing more scenes with?

John Callahan: I really like working with Ari. If I say she is one of the most talented actors working in daytime, do I risk insulting others? Well, you know, you got to be able to give a compliment. What can I say? This show has some talented young men, too and great veterans of the daytime world. I would love to work with great Joe Mascolo. My biggest struggle would be sharing a scene with him and then breaking out into a Zorba the Greek impersonation. He's got such a great voice.

Posted Image

So, now it is your turn to tell me where you would like to see Dr. Baker's next move be? Which actors do you think John Callahan should share more screen time with? Do you have your own ideas what's next for Dr. Baker? Let me know! I love reading your comments.

http://blog.nbc.com/days_production/2009/02/getting_to_know_john_callahan.php

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I really like the pictures...

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Me too! I really like the bangs on Ari.

Mason
Member Avatar

"Days Insider: Well, I can definitely say that fans feel like you are a breath of fresh air on the show and can't wait to see what comes next."

We do? That's news to me. LoL

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Feb 25 2009, 10:57 PM
"Days Insider: Well, I can definitely say that fans feel like you are a breath of fresh air on the show and can't wait to see what comes next."

We do? That's news to me. LoL
You would be surprised how many people out there on the net and off like alot of the things you hate :laugh: .

It's like others have said. You can't just rely on the boards if you want a representative sample of what is working and what isn't. Having said that, the week of the actual baby switch, many of us were enjoying the Dr. Baker/Nicole scenes because they were quite entertaining. There was lots of positive feedback on their scenes that week.

I do like these pictures though. Ari and Taylor look great. I don't see a need to keep Callahan after this is over (nor do I think they will keep him) but he seems to enjoy the role and working with Ari, although many seem to like working with her.

jane1978

How recent is the interview and the photo shoot? Because the latest spoilers says Dr. Callaghan leaves the town and I thought thatīs it and we will not see the character anymore. I quess I was wrong.

lastDays
Member Avatar

LOL at the last pic! Its always good to see an actor who doesn't take everything seriously :laugh:

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Angie, I guess this means Doc Baker is staying for awhile!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply