Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Promo for Week of March 16th; A celebration of life... the destruction of a family.
Topic Started: Mar 13 2009, 06:46 PM (1,741 Views)
Ellie

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I like how they have the hourglass in the background in these new promos.

However, if they're going out of their way to make these promos as anticlimatic as possible, they're succeeding with flying colors. Whatever happened to making promos that actually made you excited to watch the show? What a concept!

Ellie

Here it is on YouTube...

Ellie

Mason
Mar 13 2009, 06:51 PM
I like how they have the hourglass in the background in these new promos.
Me too, that is a nice graphic.

Quote:

However, if they're going out of their way to make these promos as anticlimatic as possible, they're succeeding with flying colors. Whatever happened to making promos that actually made you excited to watch the show? What a concept!
Agree... the art of revealing just enough - but not too much - seems to have been completely lost.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I think this promo is better than the last few; still too short though.

Kenny
Member Avatar

This wouldn't play for me earlier, but now it is and I'm kind of wishing it still wasn't working, LoL. This promo is awful!

First, why are the promos so short these days, and why are they giving EVERYTHING away?! The whole purpose of a promotional advertisement is to entice people to watch. Get them intrigued so that they'll tune in for the big moment. Instead, NBC just gives it all away in the span of twenty seconds. Rather than showing the actual Tony/Nicole confrontation, they should've ended it with a shot of Tony talking to himself about knowing the truth and promising to confront her with the truth. That's what you call a teaser. That's what makes people want to tune in.

Who's going to waste five hours a week watching the show when they can get a summary of the big events in less than half a minute? There's no point in buying the cow when NBC is tossing the milk our way for free.

As for the story being promoted, the most interesting thing I found is that Arianne's hair no longer looks like a wig from the 70's that's been stuffed in a box for the last three decades. So... kudos to the hairdressers, I guess.

deadhead
Member Avatar

Mason
Mar 13 2009, 06:51 PM

Am I the only one who liked this lmao :shrug: It made me want to watch it... to see how she reacts and what her next "plan" will be. I just hope it comes out soon. Need to move on already... I cant wait for drunk Nicole back

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

good promo..It makes me want to tune in...Well basically because i want to see Tony stir up trouble..

Alligato
Member Avatar

Thanks for sharing, Ellie.
But yes, between the promos and the spoilers, this little short about sums up the whole week...much ado about nothing happening.

With Mia back wanting HER baby and Tony knowing the truth while being mad at EJ/Nicole and Phillip up her butt about Brady and Stefano acting all cryptic, why doesn't Nicole just suck it up and fess? Let EJ hear it from her?

Is that just too good of a story?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ok...I will concede the promos have gotten too short. This must have been part of the cuts because I remember Passions' promos got cut like this after a major budget slashing too. It doesn't seem to be hurting the show because the ratings are still doing well. I don't see many promos for Days in primetime anyway and I doubt many even bother to view it online outside of soap boards and such. I do recall Days promos being this short in 1999 for awhile though. Eventually, they got longer again.

I also like the purple hourglass at the end. It's been in the last few promos. I remember they've done that before only the hourglass was blue and there was also one a few years ago that was a real hourglass in the background shot. I like it. It looks classy.

The material looks good. I can't wait to see this unfold and I'm sure Thaoo and Ari will be great, especially based on spoilers. I also love Ari's hair like this. I like her much better with straight hair and the bangs make it look all the better.

I don't see how they gave away everything in this promo. Hell, the promos not even long enough to do so! They promoted the fact that Tony learns her secret. They don't tell you what happens after. Does he tell her? What does Nicole do? What about EJ? None of that is in here. It's simply Tony learning the truth, which will be enough to get people to watch to see what he does and what Nicole does. I don't even see how anyone can make that claim about this promo. If anything, you want them to give you MORE in this promo to suggest if there will be more to what is going on. That is what angers me about these promos. They are too short and the editing sucks. Mason alluded to it and it's a good point. They need to amp it up with these promos a bit. They could've easily went further and showed the baptism and Tony sneaking around just to add to dramatic effect. It's like they don't even care anymore about the promos and they just toss them out there. That's the way they've seemed since January. I mean, it's not hurting the ratings but that doesn't make it right.

Maybe they are saving costs for a big summer promotional campaign or maybe they are taking the idea of less spoilers being better too far but I wish they would work on these promos and improve them a bit. This is better then the last few but not by much. If anything, the fact that they focused on a big twist is what salvaged anything out of it unlike the last few which focused on minor things like Kate playing games with Daniel and Chloe and Rafe/Sami/EJ drama. The explosion was the last promo to focus on anything big until this one.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

:sleep: I'm not missing much, am I? LOL!! :eyeroll:

angelbaby19212
Member Avatar

I liked the promo too, I cant wait to see Nicoles face and what she comes up with as an excuse

King
Member Avatar

EEK! I love this shit! I always love when big drama goes down at church ceremonies.

izzieb

I hope Nicole gets everything coming to her. I thought in the beginning she was going to change but it doesn't look like she will ever change.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Mar 14 2009, 12:33 PM
EEK! I love this shit! I always love when big drama goes down at church ceremonies.
It's funny how often it happens in soaps, isn't it? :laugh:

It's such a classic soap staple. Church drama! :laugh:

daysfan
Member Avatar

The promo itself is BAD, and maybe I'm crazy, but I find myself falling in love with Days again. I mean itsn ot the 70's, 80's, or even 90's, but I am liking it alot more than I have been the past year or so...at first it was okay, but I feel like everyday it gets better and better. I would not say it is EXCELLENT yet, but I feel like slowly I am getting back into it.

I am not glad that Thaao is out or that Tony is going a bit to the Andre sid again, but this does look good. Nicole and Arianne Zuker are the greatest part of this show right now.

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm still not satisfied with 95% of the show right now, but I find myself strangely (but cautiously) looking forward to the next month.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Mason
Mar 14 2009, 03:48 PM
I'm still not satisfied with 95% of the show right now, but I find myself strangely (but cautiously) looking forward to the next month.
Same here, the only thing I really like is the Kiriakis/DiMera war.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

What a cutie Sydney is!! Loved the ending of that promo. Its so cold and actually give me chills.

Ellie

Kenny
Mar 13 2009, 09:04 PM
First, why are the promos so short these days, and why are they giving EVERYTHING away?! The whole purpose of a promotional advertisement is to entice people to watch. Get them intrigued so that they'll tune in for the big moment. Instead, NBC just gives it all away in the span of twenty seconds. Rather than showing the actual Tony/Nicole confrontation, they should've ended it with a shot of Tony talking to himself about knowing the truth and promising to confront her with the truth. That's what you call a teaser. That's what makes people want to tune in.

Who's going to waste five hours a week watching the show when they can get a summary of the big events in less than half a minute? There's no point in buying the cow when NBC is tossing the milk our way for free.
Sorry I missed most of this discussion, but I just want to say that I couldn't agree more on this.

Below, I've embedded an example of a well-done promo. Why do I think it's done well?

1) It begins with a summary of events leading up to the 'big moment', including clips from even a year before. This is essential for a soap promo, since otherwise lapsed viewers are reluctant to jump back in, because they think they may have missed too much. Also, the rest of the promo won't make sense to non-viewers without this part. In the below example, we learn, in about 15 seconds, that J&M had an affair wherein Marlena cheated on Roman and that J&M, and Marlena specifically, are terrified that the truth will come out.

2) It sets up the newest conflict. In the below example, we learn that Stefano (though they don't say his name) found out about J&M's affair.

3) We see Marlena seeing Stefano as we hear "This week, her world is going to crumble." We do not see Stefano talking to Marlena (actually, he never did), and we are left with so many questions, which lead us to want to watch. What happens after Stefano sees Marlena? Does he confront her? Does everyone else learn her secret? If so, how?

This differs so significantly from this week's Days promo, which though it is shorter, has the following issues:

1) No summary of the storyline leading up to this week. People who haven't been watching have no idea whether Tony is correct.

2) No conflict set up. Is Nicole nervous someone will find out? Why? Will it impact her marriage to EJ? Does that have anything to do with Sami? None of these questions are addressed or even hinted at.

3) The Tony/Nicole clip gives us more answers than questions. Ok, so Tony knows her secret (again, unless people are watching, they don't know if he's right). He tells her. The end. No really, this promo seems to sum up the week's storyline pretty well. If people's questions are "then what happens", then watching this week won't answer that! People's questions need to be on the current week's story, and I think this promo completely misses the mark there.

And here is how you do a promo...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply