Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Darin Brooks' Primetime Pilot Receives Pickup; Football-themed comedy gets 12-episodes
Topic Started: Mar 15 2009, 11:20 PM (2,720 Views)
Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Spike's 'Blue Mountain' scores series pickup
Football-themed comedy gets 12-episode order
By Nellie Andreeva

March 15, 2009, 11:00 PM ET

"Blue Mountain State"

Spike TV has picked up football-themed comedy pilot "Blue Mountain State" to series.

The 12-episode order for the project, from producer Brian Robbins, is the second new comedy series pickup recently for Spike, which also greenlighted the Matt Walsh starrer "Players."

Both series are slated for a summer premiere.

Produced by Lionsgate TV and Robbins' Varsity Pictures, "Mountain" is in the vein of "Animal House." The series follows three incoming freshmen (Darin Brooks, Chris Romano, Sam Jones III) who attend Midwestern football powerhouse Blue Mountain State and quickly must adapt to college life while juggling football, women, classes and nonstop hazing.

" 'Blue Mountain State' contains four key ingredients to being a guy: football, partying, women and hazing," said Kevin Kay, president of the male-centric Spike TV.

Added Lionsgate TV president Kevin Beggs, "It's a show that doesn't pull any punches -- it's just all-out funny."

Co-starring on "Mountain" are NFL running back-turned-actor Ed Marinaro as the team's coach, Gabrielle Dennis as Jones' controlling girlfriend and Alan Ritchson as a senior on the team.

source: thr.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

YES!!!!

Please dear GOD in HEAVEN let this lead to Brooks being out!

Kenny
Member Avatar

:dance: :boobs: :dance: :boobs: :dance: :boobs: :dance: :boobs: :dance:

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Mar 15 2009, 11:21 PM
YES!!!!

Please dear GOD in HEAVEN let this lead to Brooks being out!
[KatherineChancellor][/KatherineChancellor]

Mason
Member Avatar

Seriously, I would be so happy if this means we'll be rid of the shitty one-tear "actor". Max has become one of my least favorite characters on the show.

Ellie

Mason
Mar 15 2009, 11:25 PM
Seriously, I would be so happy if this means we'll be rid of the shitty one-tear "actor".
Ditto! :cheer:

Thanks Nubia for the info!

fancyface78
Member Avatar

OMG this is excellent news!! Please please let Max be gone with Chelsea!!

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Here is an additional tidbit: Production of the pilot was in Montreal, and that is likely where the show will continue to be filmed. They are getting a nice tax credit and they secured the city's Olympic Stadium to stand in for a football stadium.

Ellie

Nubia
Mar 15 2009, 11:39 PM
Here is an additional tidbit: Production of the pilot was in Montreal, and that is likely where the show will continue to be filmed.
Haha, it keeps getting better! Thanks! :smile:

Mason
Member Avatar

Nubia
Mar 15 2009, 11:39 PM
Here is an additional tidbit: Production of the pilot was in Montreal, and that is likely where the show will continued to be filmed.
AHHHH!!!! Hell yeah!

I've been LONG overdue now for some GOOD DAYS news!

Shylock

I'm glad this means he could be moving away from the shitheap known as Days Of Our Lives.

All we need now is for James Scott to be discovered by some HBO, FX, etc, bigwig or producer and put into an awesome television series. His talent is being wasted on Days.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Shylock
Mar 16 2009, 12:00 AM
I'm glad this means he could be moving away from the shitheap known as Days Of Our Lives.

All we need now is for James Scott to be discovered by some HBO, FX, etc, bigwig or producer and put into an awesome television series. His talent is being wasted on Days.
I could see him on something like The Tudors. Or Meadowlands, which died a quick death but was an awesome show. (Jezebel LOVE!)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I love it! Days has been consistently 3rd place in the ratings and it's a shitheap :laugh: . Nevertheless, it's not smart for anyone to jump ship on their own with the economy. James Scott just signed so he is going nowhere and he seems happy with things.

As for Darin, he seemed open to working on Days and this show but he wasn't sure if Days was open to the idea of him potentially needing June, July, and August off, especially since those months are usually dominated by the young and Max is a character that would be frontburner in the summer months. Given what the show just did with Ali Sweeney, I wouldn't put it past them to come up with something similar for Max. They seem to like Darin and they wanted to give him a new love interest so maybe they come up with a story that isolates Max like Sami was isolated so they can pre-tape alot of stuff. I don't think the show wants him to go nor do I think Darin does because it's not the most stable situation. If the time off fell during the fall or winter, I bet the show would just write him out for a bit but the summer is a time when Max would be needed. If the show goes beyond the 12 episodes, I bet he will have to go and Days will have to figure something else out like recasting or just getting rid of the character.

I was ok with Chex this go round early on but they got old real fast and you could tell the show was hesitant because of both Darin and Rachel's situations. I think Max can be great in the right story and with the right love interest. I also think it would help if they develop Max as a character more like they started to do last year. Darin is talented and he's done good work. He just needs the right material.

Good for Darin though. I'm glad his show got picked up and I look forward to giving it a try.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Mar 16 2009, 01:02 AM.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Mar 16 2009, 01:01 AM
I love it! Days has been consistently 3rd place in the ratings and it's a shitheap :laugh: .
Well, right. I mean, you've got to draw the line somewhere, and in the current soap rankings, in my opinion, all shows except #1 are pretty terrible, which is why #1 is so far ahead of the rest of the pack. In other words, just because Days is better than GL doesn't mean it's a good show.

Quote:

Given what the show just did with Ali Sweeney, I wouldn't put it past them to come up with something similar for Max.
I think a maternity leave is a different situation... the plan is that if all goes well, the actress will be back after a predetermined amount of time. With Darin, I'm not sure they'd be able to get that type of commitment from him. Would they give him the summer off knowing that he might not return after that??

Mason
Member Avatar

Ellie
Mar 16 2009, 01:11 AM
PhoenixRising05
I love it! Days has been consistently 3rd place in the ratings and it's a shitheap :laugh: .
Well, right. I mean, you've got to draw the line somewhere, and in the current soap rankings, in my opinion, all shows except #1 are pretty terrible, which is why #1 is so far ahead of the rest of the pack.

Ratings mean nothing. Look at B&B. It's been the #2 soap for the last decade straight, and that show is terrible. If I were going to use any method to measure the quality of a show, the ratings would certainly not be it.
Edited by Mason, Mar 16 2009, 01:20 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Well, right. I mean, you've got to draw the line somewhere, and in the current soap rankings, in my opinion, all shows except #1 are pretty terrible, which is why #1 is so far ahead of the rest of the pack. In other words, just because Days is better than GL doesn't mean it's a good show.

Quote:

Given what the show just did with Ali Sweeney, I wouldn't put it past them to come up with something similar for Max.
I think a maternity leave is a different situation... the plan is that if all goes well, the actress will be back after a predetermined amount of time. With Darin, I'm not sure they'd be able to get that type of commitment from him. Would they give him the summer off knowing that he might not return after that??

Whether a show is great or not is subjective, which is why I said what I said jokingly. Another person's shit can be someone's else treasure and just as many people seem to be enjoying Days as those that hate it right now. Hell, maybe more like it then hate it. We have no idea and you can't cite just message boards. They are only a sample.

My other point was the economy sucks. Networks and studios are making cutbacks. Even if the show is shit creatively, actors are not just going to jump ship. It's not stable enough right now.

As for Darin and Days, Days clearly likes him and Darin indicated several times in his last interview that he wanted to stay and saw no reason why he couldn't do both. He just wasn't sure if Days was open to whatever the situation may be (and he hinted at having to film episodes in June, July, and August) but, if they like him so much and want to give him a new love interest, they will make it work if they want him that much.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Mar 16 2009, 01:19 AM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Well, right. I mean, you've got to draw the line somewhere, and in the current soap rankings, in my opinion, all shows except #1 are pretty terrible, which is why #1 is so far ahead of the rest of the pack.

Ratings mean nothing. Look at B&B. It's been the #2 soap for the last decade straight, and that show is terrible. If I were going to use any method to measure the quality of a show, the ratings would certainly not be it.
Right.

As I said, it's subjective. The ratings haven't been an accurate gauge for years but the one thing you can take away from them is that if they are solid, someone is enjoying what you do. Days is doing well so that means someone is liking it. That is my point. You may feel B&B sucks but some may not. We all have our limits and standards.

For all the praise OLTL gets on DR and SON, it's get bashed elsewhere and never goes anywhere in the ratings. I've seen people bashing Y&R in some places. I don't think you will ever seen every single person out there agree that a show is great. It just won't happen. Besides, there doesn't seem to be any fun in that :laugh: .

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Mar 16 2009, 01:21 AM
As for Darin and Days, Days clearly likes him and Darin indicated several times in his last interview that he wanted to stay and saw no reason why he couldn't do both. He just wasn't sure if Days was open to whatever the situation may be (and he hinted at having to film episodes in June, July, and August) but, if they like him so much and want to give him a new love interest, they will make it work if they want him that much.
That I agree with... they do seem to really like him. (Not sure why, though if a show likes someone like Nadia, I guess this makes sense.) I think at this point, especially where Days is so budget-conscious, they should really just get rid of him. I think Darin seems to be enjoying his new 'stardom', and the fact that he's doing a pilot in the first place tells me that Days might not be in his longterm career plans.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Mar 16 2009, 01:26 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 16 2009, 01:21 AM
That I agree with... they do seem to really like him. (Not sure why, though if a show likes someone like Nadia, I guess this makes sense.) I think at this point, especially where Days is so budget-conscious, they should really just get rid of him. I think Darin seems to be enjoying his new 'stardom', and the fact that he's doing a pilot in the first place tells me that Days might not be in his longterm career plans.
From a budget standpoint, sure it would make sense to let him go but I don't think he hurts them too much anyway in that regard. From a creative standpoint, it would hurt them a bit because it leaves Melanie with no tie to the canvas. She does not have a confidante and the show loses a familiar face that fits in with the next generation concept. I mean, the character has untapped potential. It's just that with every regime change we never get any consistent writing for him and his love interests keep leaving the show LOL.

I wouldn't say Darin does not have Days in his long-term career plans. If he didn't, why even bother to sign a contract last year? Why say that you are willing to do both? Why not just quit now? The fact that he hasn't yet tells me he doesn't want to leave for whatever reason (economy, etc). I mean, he landed a pilot and his name has been in a tabloids a bit. He's got more going for him then Rachel Melvin, who actually has quit, yet Darin has hinted at trying to make it work, which speaks volumes IMO.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Mar 16 2009, 01:36 AM
From a creative standpoint, it would hurt them a bit
We're just going to have to disagree about that. :smile:

Quote:

I wouldn't say Darin does not have Days in his long-term career plans. If he didn't, why even bother to sign a contract last year? Why say that you are willing to do both? Why not just quit now? The fact that he hasn't yet tells me he doesn't want to leave for whatever reason (economy, etc). I mean, he landed a pilot and his name has been in a tabloids a bit. He's got more going for him then Rachel Melvin, who actually has quit, yet Darin has hinted at trying to make it work, which speaks volumes IMO.
I guess I see it differently. I'm sure Darin regards Days as job security, meaning that since they offered him a contract, he signed. However, I think at the same time, he could be thinking about other avenues for his career. Regarding his comment about wanting to make both work, I think he just wanted to get that statement 'on the record', so that if Days comes back and tells him that they can't accommodate him (or who knows, maybe they already have), Darin can say, hey, wasn't me! I wanted to make both work! In other words, a comment like that could just as easily be a negotiating move as it could an honest statement about his priorities.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply