Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Darin Brooks' Primetime Pilot Receives Pickup; Football-themed comedy gets 12-episodes
Topic Started: Mar 15 2009, 11:20 PM (2,650 Views)
ginababe
BANNED

no love loss here :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm very happy to see his show got picked up. I can say I am a fan of Darin Brooks and think this show fits him perfectly. I hope its successful for his sake and thus him leaving DOOL. This is because the Max is a huge trainwreck that has needed to go since yesterday.

Phoenix, that whole thing with Melanie having no ties to the canvas can easily be fixed. Have Melanie and Max really bond as brother and sister to the point where they could say they love each other as family. Then have Max die. His dying wish could be for Caroline to take care of Melanie in his absence and BOOM that gets Caroline a miny story arc and can legitamitely keep Melanie around.
Quote Post Goto Top

ginababe
BANNED

can melanie just die, never to be heard from again?!
Edited by ginababe, Mar 16 2009, 01:53 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Mar 16 2009, 01:49 AM
I'm very happy to see his show got picked up. I can say I am a fan of Darin Brooks and think this show fits him perfectly. I hope its successful for his sake and thus him leaving DOOL. This is because the Max is a huge trainwreck that has needed to go since yesterday.

Phoenix, that whole thing with Melanie having no ties to the canvas can easily be fixed. Have Melanie and Max really bond as brother and sister to the point where they could say they love each other as family. Then have Max die. His dying wish could be for Caroline to take care of Melanie in his absence and BOOM that gets Caroline a miny story arc and can legitamitely keep Melanie around.
That would be great, Amello. Max and Melanie have already bonded so it could work, even if they have to rush it.

Thinking about it more, Melanie has been around long enough to go on by herself anyway. People know her now. Plus, she lives with Maggie and has bonded with her. I see them using Maggie more with her then Caroline. The current regime seems to love using Suzanne Rogers.

ginababe
BANNED

Amello

Caroline doesn't need to take in yet another straggler, isn't she going to be taking in Mia soon? I'm sorry but the Pub is NOT an orphanage!

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Mar 16 2009, 01:51 AM
Amello

That would be great, Amello. Max and Melanie have already bonded so it could work, even if they have to rush it.

Thinking about it more, Melanie has been around long enough to go on by herself anyway. People know her now. Plus, she lives with Maggie and has bonded with her. I see them using Maggie more with her then Caroline. The current regime seems to love using Suzanne Rogers.
Yes, I agree she can stand on her own. But if Days were samrt they wouldn't have to rush anything.

Right now, they need to give Melanie a friend, someone to bond with.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Mar 16 2009, 01:55 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 16 2009, 01:51 AM
Amello

Yes, I agree she can stand on her own. But if Days were samrt they wouldn't have to rush anything.

Right now, they need to give Melanie a friend, someone to bond with.
The rushing I was talking about was referring to if Darin left. Darin would most likely have to leave quickly I would think so, if they went with what you suggested, they would have to set it up and execute quick unless they had more time then I think they would have.

Melanie does need a friend though. She's bonding with Brady of late but she needs a female that is her age. Kind of like what Jaime was to Sami. A female friend could take the place of Max as Melanie's conscience.

I recall Dena's daughter playing Melanie's friend in France back when Melanie first appeared. She wasn't bad. Maybe give her a try or recast that character with a more stronger actress.

jane1978

First, congrats to JB , he is really lucky guy his pilot was picked up. I think he is a really talented comedy guy, so it could be his big break. The promise of the show sounds pretty generic, but as Sainfeld says "Plot? What plot? Itīs a sitcom!"

As for DAYS and Max, I agree he will try to do both. Itīs just a thirteen episodes, the pay is probably nothing to write about, and it still can be canceled after few eps. Now, if Corday will be so generous to let him go for three months, thatīs another question, but with the production schedule the show has now I think itīs possible. Itīs not like Max is on a lot right now and he will need some time to "mourn" Chelsea anyway.

I think the problem is more if the show will want to invest into the character and his possible pairing when there is no assurance he will stay.
Edited by jane1978, Mar 16 2009, 02:34 AM.

Shylock

Quote:

Days has been consistently 3rd place in the ratings and it's a shitheap
Yeah, because ratings determine how good a show is.

Pretty much everything on this show is dull and garbage. I'm not a big fan of Nelson, but the one thing he said about this show not giving three shits about it's fans and basically thumbing their noses at them kind of struck a chord with me when I was pretty much done with the show. What they did with John and Marlena, the lack of any exit story for Steve and Kayla, along with just being pure crap with this mix and match couple stuff is just. It's not good. I find myself glad that I discovered a love for Y&R, because it's been so long since I've watched an actual good soap. At least when they've got couples cheating on one another, it makes sense. Lucas and Chloe, Chloe and Daniel, Daniel and almost every women, Sami and Rafe, EJ and Nicole, Phillip and whoever Corday/Higley/Tomlin feel like pairing him with at the moment, etc. It lacks substance.

A guy like James Scott should be having his agent feel out other options, pilots and whatnot. Get away from Days, before the show takes him under as it sinks. It's gonna be a goner the next time they reach negotiations for renewal.

Bradyclan

Congrats to Darin!

Wow, Days lost just about everyone in their next generation:

Abby, Nick, Chelsea,Max.

Stephanie and now Melanie are the only ones left . And their characters are not strong enough to keep that gen afloat.

They need a new anchor younger female and male pronto.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Congrats to Darin, I think it was the best thing for him Days may not survive and he needs other things on his resume. And if things don't work out and Days does survive if they really like him that much not unlike JKJ they can always bring him back.

RM is leaving and if DB leaves I wonder if they will keep the character of Melanie?
Edited by cjknick, Mar 16 2009, 07:39 AM.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Congrats to Darin...and I hope its goodbye to Max..I loathe that insipid character

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Mar 16 2009, 01:01 AM

I think Max can be great in the right story and with the right love interest. I also think it would help if they develop Max as a character more like they started to do last year. Darin is talented and he's done good work. He just needs the right material.

I'm sorry but I don't know what else the show can do with him. He was given far many opportunities under Hogan AND Dena and he's failed at all of them. Of course the writing wasn't always good but both RM and BB proved a good actor can take bad writing and still make it watchable. DB's portrayal of "Mad Max" was horrendous since he played it so extreme and it did far more damage then the ridiculousness of just having Max as a secret math genius.

As for love interests, it was always damaging to try to hook Max up with his nieces, but I got over that when DB couldn't strike chemistry up with anyone, except Morgan (a little). Even with Abby, he was just dull. The ONLY scene I truly enjoyed him in was opposite MBE while they were in Italy where he pretty much played a clumsy oof.

And I'd like to bring up the famous "single tear" scene which I'm sure DB submitted for Emmy consideration. I hate "single tear" scenes because they are usually fake as the actor somehow sneaks it in. If you watch it closely, DB does something with his hands which looks suspiciously like he just put a drop in his eye.

That said, hollywood seems in love with him. The last thing I would cast him in would be a football comedy unless it's a spoof of some sort (which maybe it is). But whatever gets him off the show. (And I can't wait for RM to leave simply to put an end to Chex as quickly as possible).
Edited by Tripp, Mar 16 2009, 08:32 AM.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

cjknick
Mar 16 2009, 06:59 AM
Congrats to Darin, I think it was the best thing for him Days may not survive and he needs other things on his resume. And if things don't work out and Days does survive if they really like him that much not unlike JKJ they can always bring him back.

RM is leaving and if DB leaves I wonder if they will keep the character of Melanie?
Ok cj, don't get me all excited!! The thought of not only Max leaving, but getting rid of Melanie too!!! :cheer: It's too much for my little heart to contain on a Monday morning!! ;)

On another note, as much as I agree that James Scott is too talented for Days, I'm super glad he's staying!!! :cheer: :wub: I think if he left that would be the straw for me.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Tripp
Mar 16 2009, 08:24 AM
I'm sorry but I don't know what else the show can do with him. He was given far many opportunities under Hogan AND Dena and he's failed at all of them. Of course the writing wasn't always good but both RM and BB proved a good actor can take bad writing and still make it watchable. DB's portrayal of "Mad Max" was horrendous since he played it so extreme and it did far more damage then the ridiculousness of just having Max as a secret math genius.

As for love interests, it was always damaging to try to hook Max up with his nieces, but I got over that when DB couldn't strike chemistry up with anyone, except Morgan (a little). Even with Abby, he was just dull.
Couldn't agree with you more, except for the slight exception that I did think DB had chemistry with FF. But Max/Mimi was never going to go anywhere since she was leaving.

As ridiculous as I find the notion of DB cast as a powerhouse college quarterback (even a backup), I guess I'll take him contaminating one of my favorite sports if it gets him off Days. He may be a lovely guy and perhaps if he was cast in something that made sense to me I wouldn't mind him, but I am so ready for Max to be gone. If Melanie went with him that would be the icing on the cake.

As for James Scott, though I like him, I don't see any reason to believe he could make the leap to the movies or even primetime TV. Not everybody who can put up numbers in the D-League is NBA material, and just because JS looks good in comparison to some of the craptacularness on the show doesn't mean he's talented enough or charismatic enough to make it as an actor off Days. I wouldn't be surprised if I never heard of him again after Days goes off the air, and again, I like him; I just don't think he's super-special.

lene
Member Avatar

HELL YEAAAAAAAH!
Now get the fuck of the show and leave with Rachel. CHEX leavin together would be great. <3 :D :D

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Tripp
Mar 16 2009, 08:24 AM
I'm sorry but I don't know what else the show can do with him. He was given far many opportunities under Hogan AND Dena and he's failed at all of them.

Ugh- thank you.

I do not understand what the fascination with this guy or the character has been. He's like a young Josh Taylor to me (or maybe Colin Farrel- I don't get how that guy got so many roles) where it's a constant "how are you still around" every time I actually remember that the character exists and this dude's on the show. It's baffling.

Best of luck to him. I don't know if a series on Spike is a step up or a slide to the right but whatever works.

As far as keeping Melanie connected- all they have to do is write a non-exit for Max. He can go hang with Patch and Kayla. Besides, she's the PERFECT candidate for a murder mystery come summertime so I don't know that they should put too much thought into integrating her more than she already is.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

px780
Mar 16 2009, 12:30 PM

I do not understand what the fascination with this guy or the character has been. He's like a young Josh Taylor to me (or maybe Colin Farrel- I don't get how that guy got so many roles) where it's a constant "how are you still around" every time I actually remember that the character exists and this dude's on the show. It's baffling.
That's actually a perfect comparision. Seeing JT onscreen drives me nuts most of the time, but luckily he's never given anything really substantial to do. DB does nothing for me, acting wise or looks wise, and his charm wears thin when you see more talented actors get pushed to the door so he can keep bonking family members. But when he winds up with a soap emmy, you have to wind up hating the industry for rewarding him, not just Corday.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I'm happy for Darin. He seems like a cool, fun, guy. I do think it would be best to write Max and Chelsea out to start life anew somewhere else. The Max character hasn't really worked unfortunately, but it would be nice to see Max and Chelsea get a happy ending. As for Melanie, I think she will work even better as a character, without Max around. Now she has no one to "comfort" her, which will only make her more desperate. Changing gears, once again, I think it's time to bring back Jeremy Horton, and add him to the Melanie, Philip, Stephanie story. You have that young generation, then you bring on say an aged JT Reiber, and Joy Wesley, connect them to Will and Mia, and you have the young generation covered. Problem solved :)

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Mikegoldy
Mar 16 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm happy for Darin. He seems like a cool, fun, guy. I do think it would be best to write Max and Chelsea out to start life anew somewhere else. The Max character hasn't really worked unfortunately, but it would be nice to see Max and Chelsea get a happy ending. As for Melanie, I think she will work even better as a character, without Max around. Now she has no one to "comfort" her, which will only make her more desperate. Changing gears, once again, I think it's time to bring back Jeremy Horton, and add him to the Melanie, Philip, Stephanie story. You have that young generation, then you bring on say an aged JT Reiber, and Joy Wesley, connect them to Will and Mia, and you have the young generation covered. Problem solved :)
Max and Chelsea get a "happy ending" while Nick sits in jail. *shudder*

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply