Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Inside Salem with Marnie Saitta
Topic Started: Mar 17 2009, 04:57 PM (2,437 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Inside Salem

Wishing you had an all-access backstage pass to Days of our Lives? Then go "Inside Salem" to get the scoop on the talented people who are the very heart of Days! Every other week someone new is showcased; stars, writers, directors, props, hair & make-up, very special guest stars and beyond.

Want to be on a soap opera? Days highly talented Casting Director, Marnie Saitta, reveals what the process is to get in the door.

http://www.daysofourlives.com/video/insidesalem/index.php?swf=20

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

So this is the person I can blame for MB!!!
Thanks for posting the vid!
Liz

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Damn...is she fucking gorgeous or is it just me?

I've never seen a picture of her before and didn't expect for her to look like that at all.

brimike

HOT and A KILLER SENSE OF HUMOR. Beautiful and "one of the boys". Why this woman isn't on a soap herself, I'll never know.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

/\Damn, you tell the truth dude.

brimike

bellcurve
Mar 17 2009, 08:31 PM
/\Damn, you tell the truth dude.
Can you tell I'm a fan? :-)

Seriously, she's like a character I would watch on any show, daytime or primetime. :-)

daysfan
Member Avatar

I am amazed that Marnie(and Noel Maxam for that matter) are still here after Ed Scott left so many MONTHS ago...happily amazed, I mean. Though I think now days, when it comes to casting, its probably a combination of Tomlin and Marnie.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

I hated her taking over the announcing reigns from Bern Bennett on Y&R, but dayum!!! How can I not love her now?

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

from what i've seen of MB, I dont think she's *that* bad after factoring in Days awful material. She's atleast animated, which half the NBC casts arent. But, I find this vid kinda ... wrong. "I cast Roscoe Born, Shirley Jones, Galen Gering, Shaun Christian, Tamara Braun" I hardly think casting people that others discovered is that great.

Mason
Member Avatar

Drew
Mar 17 2009, 10:55 PM
from what i've seen of MB, I dont think she's *that* bad after factoring in Days awful material. She's atleast animated, which half the NBC casts arent. But, I find this vid kinda ... wrong. "I cast Roscoe Born, Shirley Jones, Galen Gering, Shaun Christian, Tamara Braun" I hardly think casting people that others discovered is that great.
LoL, and casting Galen Gering is not exactly something I would be bragging about, either.

Molly Burnett has really grown on me since she first started, I have to admit. I still don't LOVE Melanie like some do, but I like her in small doses. It's when we get too much of her that I find her grating.

Ellie

Drew
But, I find this vid kinda ... wrong. "I cast Roscoe Born, Shirley Jones, Galen Gering, Shaun Christian, Tamara Braun" I hardly think casting people that others discovered is that great.
She didn't say she discovered them, but in any case I completely disagree with what you're saying. The point of good casting is not always to 'discover' people, though with a talented casting director, that will often be a byproduct. A good casting director will find the actor/actress who is a perfect fit for any role, whether the actor is a veteran or a newcomer. If Marnie Saitta worked on AMC, would she have cast Jamie Luner as Liza?? I'd venture to say probably not.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Ellie
Mar 17 2009, 11:58 PM
Drew
But, I find this vid kinda ... wrong. "I cast Roscoe Born, Shirley Jones, Galen Gering, Shaun Christian, Tamara Braun" I hardly think casting people that others discovered is that great.
She didn't say she discovered them, but in any case I completely disagree with what you're saying. The point of good casting is not always to 'discover' people, though with a talented casting director, that will often be a byproduct. A good casting director will find the actor/actress who is a perfect fit for any role, whether the actor is a veteran or a newcomer. If Marnie Saitta worked on AMC, would she have cast Jamie Luner as Liza?? I'd venture to say probably not.
I agree with you that casting is about picking the best actor for the role whether the actor is a known name or a newbie, however, the casting director cannot be blamed for decisions like Jamie Luner or for a Days reference, the Passions boys, since both examples are pushed onto the casting director through higher ups, namely Pratt and Tomlin respectively.
Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Amello
Mar 18 2009, 12:03 AM
I agree with you that casting is about picking the best actor for the role whether the actor is a known name or a newbie, however, the casting director cannot be blamed for decisions like Jamie Luner or for a Days reference, the Passions boys, since both examples are pushed onto the casting director through higher ups, namely Pratt and Tomlin respectively.
If that's true (and I have no idea), then I'd agree with you. If someone is forced to give Galen Gering a role on the show, imo there is really no role other than an under-five that would be a perfect fit for him.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Drew
You certainly got that right. I can't remember his name,but the casting director on ATWT in the'90s had an eye for new talent.He discovered Shawn Christian and Maura West(Carly).He had an article dedidcated to him in one of the soap mags at the time. I frankly think MB is a waste of space on Days

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I think Saitta has done a great job on Days.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Mar 18 2009, 09:56 AM
I think Saitta has done a great job on Days.
I agree.

She's done wonderful and I think her past connections have helped in bringing on some big names. I don't think she's had a clunker yet IMO. I think Molly Burnett is great and that is really her only non-experienced casting choice other then the Sorority girls and Kristen Renton, who did a great job with casting.

I'm pretty sure casting Galen and Eric wasn't all her. I think Tomlin was probably a factor there in either bringing them in or selling Marnie on them. They both have worked out great IMO.

I'm just glad she and Noel Maxam are still with the show. They are very talented and experienced. Marnie is gorgeous though. How did she not land a role in front of the camera? Wow..

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I think she's done a fantastic job...At least we aren't stuck with people like Trevor Donavon as Jeremy...

pnelsen

Casting Galen and MB is enough to turn me off of her abilities.

Ellie

pnelsen
Mar 19 2009, 06:05 AM
I think Molly Burnett was cast well for what the character was supposed to be originally. (I think the casting call was posted here... kind of a perky, saucy teenager type). But Marnie can't help it if the writers take the character in a completely different direction. In fact, if I were a casting director, I'd be very annoyed if that happened, because in a way it does make the casting director look bad.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Mar 19 2009, 11:28 AM
pnelsen
Mar 19 2009, 06:05 AM
I think Molly Burnett was cast well for what the character was supposed to be originally. (I think the casting call was posted here... kind of a perky, saucy teenager type). But Marnie can't help it if the writers take the character in a completely different direction. In fact, if I were a casting director, I'd be very annoyed if that happened, because in a way it does make the casting director look bad.
That's a good point. I didn't think about that when I was mentally wondering what she was talking about when raving about MB. I do think MB has done some very good work; it's when Melanie is supposed to be smarter and sexier than your average bear that I don't buy her. I think they've been doing a better job at making her a plausible 18 year old lately, though I cringed when she whined yesterday that she has nothing, no future and "no man." WTF? An 18 year old has nothing BUT future and not having a man at 18 is not a big deal; it's not like the clock is running out.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply