Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:James Scott interview; Michael Fairman interview
Topic Started: Mar 26 2009, 02:39 AM (2,890 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

THE JAMES SCOTT INTERVIEW - DAYS OF OUR LIVES

EJ Wells found himself in several predicaments in the last several weeks. First, he is still in the dark that the daughter he just baptized is not his, and that the woman he finally made love to, is lying about the babyís true paternity. Then, thereís the love of his life, Samantha, who has just returned from being in the Witness Protection Program with another man in tow! Not to mention that his brother Tony is stirring up all sorts of trouble, which will lead to his ultimate downfall, and then, throw in EJís business projects that are all twisted and tangled and youíve got more plotlines than any character can handle.

Days of our Lives heartthrob, James Scott, certainly seems to be carrying quite a heavy load on his shoulders, so we got down to business to answer some of the questions that ďJamiĒ and ďDAYSĒ fans want to know about all the shenanigans in Salem.

Without further adieuÖthe charming Mr. Scott!

MICHAEL:

Last week on ďDAYSĒ Nicole and EJ baptized Sydney, and EJ is still in the dark about Nicoleís baby machinations. How long will this go on, that he will remain clueless?

JAMES:

One can only imagine he will be clueless for a while. There are no indications that this storyline is about to come to a conclusion anytime soon.

MICHAEL:

Is that daunting?

JAMES:

Well, most of the soap operas play the same beats, but what is interesting is trying to make them feel fresh. But still is it daunting? I wouldnít say so. Itís always interesting to get new scripts and see how the writers are going to get Nicole out of it for another day, week, or whenever it may be.

MICHAEL:

Does it ever feel to you that the writers dummy down EJ?

JAMES:

Well, there have certainly been times when I have said to the producers, ďLook, this guy is not this stupid.Ē Nobody is, and we have to try to make some changes, and itís complicated. On the one hand, they want to tease the story without giving it away, and more often than not, they want to tease it to the person who doesnít know where the stakes are highest, and he finds out. Yet, he does not find out for a little while. Itís a very thin line, and quite a lot of the skill of good soap opera is knowing how to dangle that just far enough away for one character, so that he or she wonít look like a complete idiot!

MICHAEL:

How has it been working with Arianne Zuker (Nicole)?

JAMES:

Arianne is a pleasure to work with! I have been lucky, and the circle of people that I work with are all fantastic, and certainly Arianne is a very gifted actress. So I have a lot of fun working with her, as I do with Alison Sweeney (Sami). I also have worked along with Joe Mascolo (Stefano) and Thaao Penghlis (Tony), who are strong, strong actors who give you a great deal.

MICHAEL:

Will ďJamiĒ fans continue to be upset? And, I know we have Rafe in the picture now as a spoiler for that relationship!

JAMES:

Well, I will give you my take on that. I donít think I am giving anything away by saying that the writers and producers, (and I can only imagine that they are aware that there is a huge amount of support for that storyline) have got to think, at some point, that they are going to pay that off and give the fans what they want. Because, if there are a lot of fans that want it, and there are a lot of them, you can be pretty sure they are not going to get it straight away. The show is very careful not to alienate fans that particularly supported a character for a long time. Itís always a natural conclusion to lots of storylines. You have the situation where EJ has a child, a daughter with Samantha, which he does not know about.

MICHAEL:

Do you think the four of them, EJ, Nicole, Sami and Rafe, will be a quadrangle for a long time? Nicole is going to get caught at some point!

JAMES:

Nicole is in a no-win situation, and letís be honest, if you have watched soap operas for a week, you can get away with things for a certain amount of time, and then, ďgosh darn itĒ, you always get caught. And, that is why people watch soap operas, because there is always a consequence. They may not realize that consequence for a day or two, but ultimately they do have to realize the consequences of their actions.

MICHAEL:

What was EJís initial reaction to seeing Sami and Rafe kiss?

JAMES:

Initially, he is surprised because the last time he saw Samantha she was going into the Witness Protection Program. There was some unsaid feeling between the two of them. EJ has moved on with Nicole, and in many ways, he has been able to move on because Samantha was not there. He doesnít have to see her. If he had any feelings, he certainly did not have to deal with those feelings, so he put them aside. So, not only does Samantha come back into his life, but she comes back into his life with what looks like feelings for someone else. So, I think itís primed! Obviously, I think in our own lives when we have an ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend, and you see them a little bit later with somebody else, even if you parted on good terms, itís hard to see them with somebody else. And that goes for even if you parted as good friends. It twists your stomach a little bit. Sometimes, in a good way, you are sorry with what you had with this person that you donít have anymore.
Often, it can be difficult to watch.

MICHAEL:

When he finally makes love with Nicole, was it reactionary? Was it because he was upset seeing Sami kiss Rafe?

JAMES:

Is it reactionary? Are you joking? This poor guyís fiancť has not had sex with him in seven months! She has been hiding this whole deal with the baby, and if he would take her clothes off, he would take one look at her and say, ďMy goodness darling, you are not really pregnant!Ē So, he hasnít had any action! I donít know what the boyís done. Itís not a reaction, no. He is happy for anything he can get it.

MICHAEL:

What have you thought of the EJ and Tony feud?

JAMES:

He is my brother. I donít think anybody who has a brother doesnít know that when there are the two of you, and one father, that there is going to be jealousy; and especially when itís about running the family business. If your mother and father have to choose between one of you for something, it doesnít feel great to not be the one who is chosen. EJ is the one who is chosen. So he feels more confident than he would be otherwise. However, EJ is very upset when Tony dies.

MICHAEL:

How did you feel when you heard that Thaao would be leaving the show?

JAMES:

I was very, very, very upset to see Thaao leave the show! I have seen other people come and go, but I was particularly sorry to see him go. I love Thaao Penghlis. He is a wonderful actor. He is great to work with on set, and he can be the most difficult bugger, but thatís his charm. I really was very sad to hear it and to see it, and upset indeed! He was one of those actors that just bring something. You know, a level you donít often find. You can give him terrible material and he will always come back with something, and he will give you something that is compelling. They were not making any choices based on quality of performances when they let him go, because he just rises above other people. I am not saying everybody. But, if you saw the Emmy nominations from last year, it was breathtaking and wonderful to see his work. I think itís sad, and a great shame, and I wish they could have found some way around it. I think itís a great loss for the show.

MICHAEL:

Well, the writing was on the wall, when Tony is the one who finds out Nicoleís baby switcheroo secret. There is nowhere to go from there but into an early grave!

JAMES:

I think they made the decision not to continue his contract several months ago, and that was the decision. It was instead of finding a way to get rid of Tony off the canvas, they decided to kill him.

MICHAEL:

What do you think about EJís involvement in the Alternative Fuels Project?

JAMES:

The Alternative Fuels Project! Now there is an interesting thing! Here is a project devised by a 12 year old. I think thatís what Melanie is, with her ex-boyfriendÖ who is currently in prison for being the Unabomber or somethingÖ and they came up with this multi-billion project! So, all these rich men and criminals are running around trying to get the rights to it. Itís interesting! Itís a fun story! I find it to be wholly implausible. If you throw all the implausibility and the reality of it out the window, it can be actually quite fun to watch.
So, I would advise our viewers to do that, and they will find it much more pleasant.

MICHAEL:

How is working with Alison again, after her rather short maternity leave?

JAMES:

Alison is wonderful to work with! Itís one of the great things about my time on the show. She is fun, she is professional, and itís a great pleasure, always!

MICHAEL:

You have been working on a very special project close to your heart. Tell me about it.

JAMES:

I have an organization called ďUrth SolutionsĒ that I have been running for a couple of years, and itís been working to help communities help themselves in other parts of the world: particularly in Bolivia and Madagascar. Itís going pretty well. Itís interesting, and thank you for asking. We are working to help communities harness some of their natural resources in a sustainable way, and in the last few months itís been interesting. I got a telephone call recently from my guy in Madagascar, that in the town in which we were working in, one of the townspeople went to attack their president and shot 23 people including the President! After that, they were rioting in the streets! Since then, the country has gone down hill rapidly, and itís certainly not like working in Washington. Itís been very challenging!

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/article/articleItem.cfm?cms_article_id=83

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I like what he has to say about the Alternative Fuels Project storyline. Sound likes he agrees with most of the viewers!

ges
Member Avatar

Me. too.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Great interview! His take on the ATF is hilarious - and good advice. And love, love, love that he feels confident EJami fans will finally get our payoff!

Thanks so much for posting!

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Angie!

Livie

I want some payoff with gravitas..maybe biscuits too.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Great interview!! But then again, JS always gives great interviews, and Michael Fairman is quite good at the interview!!! Loved the reference to EJAMI's..........we are a large bunch, nice to see it acknowledged by JS and MF. :cheer:

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

seems like he hit the fuel project storyline on the head. hilarious. thanks for posting!

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Thanks!!As usual,the charming Mr Scott,gives a great interview...he is right about the payoff...its TIME.I mean seriously!!!

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

That's so cute that he thinks that at some point TPTB are going to "pay that off" when it comes to EJ/Sami. I don't think they've paid anything off since the mid-90s, especially when it comes to couples, unless you count a quick reunion followed by "I took a job in ____, goodbye Salem" or the more recent "I got paralyzed by a random psychopath and need treatment in Belgium, or whatever."

I'm thinking TPTB take the fanbase wars the same way they usually do- they're excited people give a damn and will stretch things out until even the most rabid fans give up. Nothing will really happen until one of the actors leaves the show, or it gets canceled.

Loved the comment on the alternative fuel nonsense. Thanks for posting the interview!

Daytime
Member Avatar

I am happy about the pay off, I just hope we don't have to wait all freakin year for it. I so agree with him about the AFP.

thanks for posting Angie...

aimees76
Member Avatar

ROFLMAO. Yeah, TPTB would never DARE to alienate any long-term fans. Bwahahahaa. Sure ;)

And that wasn't a couple-biased interview AT ALL. /sarcasm.

Thanks for posting.

cjknick
Member Avatar

aimees76
Mar 26 2009, 10:50 AM
ROFLMAO. Yeah, TPTB would never DARE to alienate any long-term fans. Bwahahahaa. Sure ;)

Thanks for posting.
I agree Aimees it did seem like Michael was a little biased in his questions. Perhaps Michael is an EJAMI fan!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

aimees76
Oh yeah, I can't think of any fanbases who have been alienated either . . . John and Marlena, Steve and Kayla, Nick . . . yep, all happy as clams!

aimees76
Member Avatar

cjknick
Mar 26 2009, 10:54 AM
aimees76

Thanks for posting.
I agree Aimees it did seem like Michael was a little biased in his questions. Perhaps Michael is an EJAMI fan!
LOL, ya think?

aimees76
Member Avatar

Paxton
Mar 26 2009, 10:57 AM
aimees76
Oh yeah, I can't think of any fanbases who have been alienated either . . . John and Marlena, Steve and Kayla, Nick . . . yep, all happy as clams!
I know as a Lumi fan, myself, I have been THRILLED with my payoff. :huh:
Oh yeah, and in what alternate universe do all soap opera characters have to pay consequences for their actions, and how could JS of all people say that with a straight face? :o

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

aimees76
Mar 26 2009, 10:59 AM
Paxton
aimees76
Oh yeah, and in what alternate universe do all soap opera characters have to pay consequences for their actions, and how could JS of all people say that with a straight face? :o
I think Phloe and Broe fans are over the moon as well, lol. So many happy fanbases!

Ellie

LOL I just can't get over this sentence: "The show is very careful not to alienate fans that particularly supported a character for a long time." If you take out the word "not", it actually works.

Thanks Angie for posting this!

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

You guys are sooo funny!

I've willing to suspend belief...hell, I believe this whole baby SL..but the AFP was just a way to insert a new actress and see if people liked her....guess we know how people feel about that!

Yeah...payoff....just wait long enough and maybe Days will run for another 30 years!

Aw fanbase wars....gotta luv'em!
Liz

cjknick
Member Avatar

aimees76
Mar 26 2009, 10:59 AM
Paxton
aimees76
If you read the quote he said that there are always consequences and that ultimately they realize the consequences of their actions. He did not say "pay" in the sense they like go to prison or even get caught for that matter - but that there are consequnces. For EJ well...EJ got shot and was paralzed - plus as he said to Stefano when Stefano was in a coma that because of what he did for Stefano being his obedient soldier that the women he loves, Sami will never love him. So I guess consequences come in different ways. And from what TC said had Hogan continued as HW EJ was possible going to go to prison - that storyline was pitched anyway - but as you all know different writers came in and instead of EJ going to prison he got Nicole instead. Some would say that is a consequence for his sins! :wink:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply