Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"A Fatal Fall at a Pier" - Interview with JKJ; NY Daily News
Topic Started: Mar 27 2009, 04:29 AM (1,158 Views)
Ellie

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/03/27/2009-03-27_whats_up_dock_a_fatal_fall_at_a_pier.html

What's up, dock? A fatal fall at a pier
By Carolyn Hinsey

Friday, March 27th 2009, 4:00 AM

Philip and Tony battle it out Friday on "Days of Our Lives," and Tony won't live to tell about it.

"It happens on the docks, where nothing good ever happens," says Jay Kenneth Johnson, who plays Philip Kiriakis.

Philip orders Tony to return the plans for the lucrative fuels project so he can get his job back at Titan.

"Philip is willing to do anything to get back the respect of his father," says Johnson. "To do that, he needs to scare Tony a little bit. He doesn't go there to kill him. However, bad things do happen on daytime."

Like long-term character Tony DiMera biting the dust.

"They have words and start parting ways. As Tony is walking up the steps of the pier, he turns around and the railing gives out. Tony falls 8 feet onto a perfectly placed stake of wood, much to Philip's horror and surprise."

Luckily for Philip, there's a witness.

"Unbeknownst to him, Nicole sees it all," says Johnson. "Philip is going to have to make sure she is on his side."

Not likely, since Nicole is engaged to Tony's brother, EJ DiMera.

"It's going to cause conflict because she is holding all the cards," says Johnson. "She has a decision to make whether to tell the truth about what happened on the pier - or not. Whatever she chooses will definitely cause trouble for her and for Philip, because [Tony's death] is going to escalate the war between the Kiriakises and the DiMeras."

The fallout will force Philip to move out of the Kiriakis mansion and in with Stephanie. But soon, "Victor asks him to come home."

He needs his son back in the fold if he is going to ward off the vengeful DiMeras.

Unless, of course, Tony isn't really dead.

"He looked pretty dead to me, but never count anybody out on soaps," quips Johnson. "Philip insults him - 'You're washed up!' - and [Tony] turns around to say something back, but he never gets it out. I'm sure it was a Grade A one-liner. Maybe when he comes back from the dead, we'll find out what it was."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

e83talus
Member Avatar

So Tony dies from a stick wound? Hmmm....Very creative. LOL

peaches179

Ellie
Mar 27 2009, 04:29 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/03/27/2009-03-27_whats_up_dock_a_fatal_fall_at_a_pier.html

What's up, dock? A fatal fall at a pier
By Carolyn Hinsey

Friday, March 27th 2009, 4:00 AM

Philip and Tony battle it out Friday on "Days of Our Lives," and Tony won't live to tell about it.

"It happens on the docks, where nothing good ever happens," says Jay Kenneth Johnson, who plays Philip Kiriakis.

Philip orders Tony to return the plans for the lucrative fuels project so he can get his job back at Titan.

"Philip is willing to do anything to get back the respect of his father," says Johnson. "To do that, he needs to scare Tony a little bit. He doesn't go there to kill him. However, bad things do happen on daytime."

Like long-term character Tony DiMera biting the dust.

"They have words and start parting ways. As Tony is walking up the steps of the pier, he turns around and the railing gives out. Tony falls 8 feet onto a perfectly placed stake of wood, much to Philip's horror and surprise."

Luckily for Philip, there's a witness.

"Unbeknownst to him, Nicole sees it all," says Johnson. "Philip is going to have to make sure she is on his side."

Not likely, since Nicole is engaged to Tony's brother, EJ DiMera.

"It's going to cause conflict because she is holding all the cards," says Johnson. "She has a decision to make whether to tell the truth about what happened on the pier - or not. Whatever she chooses will definitely cause trouble for her and for Philip, because [Tony's death] is going to escalate the war between the Kiriakises and the DiMeras."

The fallout will force Philip to move out of the Kiriakis mansion and in with Stephanie. But soon, "Victor asks him to come home."

He needs his son back in the fold if he is going to ward off the vengeful DiMeras.

Unless, of course, Tony isn't really dead.

"He looked pretty dead to me, but never count anybody out on soaps," quips Johnson. "Philip insults him - 'You're washed up!' - and [Tony] turns around to say something back, but he never gets it out. I'm sure it was a Grade A one-liner. Maybe when he comes back from the dead, we'll find out what it was."

Ellie, I LOVE your avatar! Deidre looks gorgeous!

oldschoolfan

Thanks for posting. Back from the dead, now that would be something new for Days. :eyeroll:

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I love that he gets staked. Like a vampire.

I just wish it were more public, like when Cassie fell out of the pinata.

Kenny
Member Avatar

e83talus
Mar 27 2009, 05:08 AM
Pretty underwhelming, no?

I thought this was going to be a murder mystery? There's nothing mysterious about this whatsoever, LoL.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I am sick of the murder mysteries, but this isn't exactly a good way to kill someone off either.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Mar 27 2009, 01:53 PM
e83talus
Mar 27 2009, 05:08 AM
Pretty underwhelming, no?

I thought this was going to be a murder mystery? There's nothing mysterious about this whatsoever, LoL.
The show itself never said it was a murder mystery. The "diva" said it was in the same report where she said Thaoo was fired.

Corday only hinted at something tragic happening and how Nicole would witness it and have to make a choice.

I'm not in love with the way he is dying but it does have a little irony to it and it has a nice tragic feel. The buildup has been great and the aftermath looks to be great too.

The fallout from this is what I'm waiting for. I'm finally getting the story I've wanted for a long time...the Dimera/Kiriakis feud. Now that there is a death at the center of it, the stakes have never been higher and I can't wait to see everything unfold.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Mar 27 2009, 03:07 PM.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

PhoenixRising05
Mar 27 2009, 03:06 PM
The fallout from this is what I'm waiting for. I'm finally getting the story I've wanted for a long time...the Dimera/Kiriakis feud. Now that there is a death at the center of it, the stakes have never been higher and I can't wait to see everything unfold.
I like your enthusiasm.

At the same time I keep thinking, "It's f-ing Tony!" Since I've been watching, Tony has usually been Andre in disguise, and I thought the story was that the real Tony was held on an island by his father. So for his accidental death to spark another stupid Dimera-related blood feud is kind of...irritating, especially since it does seem to be a pure accident. It makes Stefano even lamer, imho.

I would be more into it if it were Phillip dead and Kate/Victor taking on Stefano. I've seen Stefano on the attack- lots of kidnapping, not much else. K/V on a rampage would at least be a twist.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

px780
Mar 27 2009, 05:22 PM
I would be more into it if it were Phillip dead and Kate/Victor taking on Stefano. I've seen Stefano on the attack- lots of kidnapping, not much else. K/V on a rampage would at least be a twist.
You're right that would have been an interesting change of pace, but even though Philip was pretty much ruined for me the minute he had an erotic dream about Melanie of all people, I still hold out hope I'll recover from that some day and love him again. I don't want him dead and gone.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Paxton
Mar 28 2009, 07:19 PM
px780
Mar 27 2009, 05:22 PM
You're right that would have been an interesting change of pace, but even though Philip was pretty much ruined for me the minute he had an erotic dream about Melanie of all people, I still hold out hope I'll recover from that some day and love him again. I don't want him dead and gone.
I agree - I don't want Philip dead and gone, either. JKJ is one of the better actors on the show when given decent material rather than the crap he's had lately so it will be interesting to see where they take him with this.

That said, though - Thaao was one of my absolute favorites on the show and I hate that they've fired him with the fire of a thousand suns. :frustration: So as much as I think the DiMera/Kiriakis feud could be interesting I wish they could have found a different way to go about it.

sungrey

I maintain this is not Tony. They've done it again somehow. That's Andre that dies on Tuesday, never mind that he supposedly bit the dust before. Hey, I could be wrong, but it'd be the right thing to do assuming they want to bring him back to the show and he doesn't tell them to shove it. :)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I think Thaoo played it in a way where it could go either way but I think this may be final this time. I think Thaoo is ready to move on but who knows with the economy and all. I, personally, would rather this be the end. How many times can you do it?

The way he died was better then the overused falling and hitting your head shit that has been so commonplace the last few years. It was ironic and tragic and came off better then I had thought. It could've been better but it certainly could've been worse.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply