Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soapnet, Sony extend Days deal
Topic Started: Mar 27 2009, 11:00 AM (1,782 Views)
Ellie

http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/display/20351

SOAPnet, Sony Extend Days of Our Lives Deal
By Kristin Brzoznowski
Published: March 27, 2009

BURBANK: SOAPnet has extended its deal with Sony Pictures Television to air same-day episodes of Days of Our Lives, along with scoring the digital streaming rights.

The show has been on the air for more than 40 years, first premiering as a half-hour drama in 1965. Set in the fictitious Midwestern town of Salem, Days of Our Lives centers on two families, the Hortons and Bradys, and the multi-layered story lines involve elements of romance, adventure, mystery, comedy and drama. SOAPnet airs same-day episodes of a range of daytime dramas, including All My Children, One Life to Live, General Hospital and The Young and the Restless, along with a host of prime-time series such as The O.C. and originals like General Hospital: Night Shift.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

I wonder how long the deal is for?

Can't be too long since the show is ending next year, LoL.

JDB

Maybe they get a big discount if they put their money down to air the episodes before they even know if their will be episodes to air? I figured Soapnet might cut'em loose so nice to see that's not the case.

desertgal

So glad to hear this - I was really afraid Soapnet was gonna drop them.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Ellie
Mar 27 2009, 11:00 AM
BURBANK: SOAPnet has extended its deal with Sony Pictures Television to air same-day episodes of Days of Our Lives, along with scoring the digital streaming rights.

Hmm, I wonder if SoapNet is going to start streaming the ABC soaps, along with DAYS and Y&R online.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

coffeelover

My opinion is that being on soapnet actually hurts the ratings.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

coffeelover
Mar 27 2009, 02:07 PM
My opinion is that being on soapnet actually hurts the ratings.
Well Days gets money from SN to air the show, so if it got better ratings on SN then Days would be getting paid better by them.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Y&RWorldTurner
Mar 27 2009, 02:02 PM
Ellie
Mar 27 2009, 11:00 AM

Hmm, I wonder if SoapNet is going to start streaming the ABC soaps, along with DAYS and Y&R online.
I wonder the same thing. It would seem that way.

Only problem I have with that is it could hurt the show's ratings. Although Days is posted in many places online, sometimes even a day ahead, so it may not have much affect.

This is funny though. When Days was struggling ratings-wise and Soapnet kept moving it around, people kept saying how Soapnet would dump it when the contract was up because there was no way it was doing well. Well, the show must be doing something right. My thinking is the fact that the show is much younger and fresher now and I still thinks Frons is salivating at the thought of having Days one day, especially now that it's ratings are better then all it's shows and the show's costs have drastically reduced. He probably made this move in line with that thinking so he could make a play for them when the contract with NBC is up. Remember there were rumors that AMC was nearly a goner and that they waited to see what happened with Days. Not saying I want it to happen but I can see it.

Also, people thought Days was a goner for the past two years and it's still here and on a ratings upswing. It's done something no soap has done in the last few years in that it's bringing back a pretty noticeable audience. At the same time, it's gotten younger and cut costs. It's actually become quite the viable package for someone. Corday can shop this show around now and will get offers. I think Days easily brought themselves another few years, at least. If they could survive the past few years, nothing is out of the question. It seems the more people complain or count them out, the better they do LOL.

There is also that quote from Bruce Evans from NBC that was posted in that article in the Breaking News section. He said he didn't want Days to go down on his watch since it was all they really had in daytime other then Today. There is also Alison Sweeney. I think TBL doing well and her being on Days helps ALOT.

I really don't understand why people feel the show is a goner in 2010. Not saying it won't be but the situation for Days has improved immensely so it's not even close to being an open and shut case.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I wonder if when DAYS does go off the air if SOAPnet will be able to run re-runs. That I would LOVE!

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

^ Yeah hopefully reruns from its glory days not from these past few years. I secretly hope it is 1995, that was the first time I started watching DAYS, and started watching soaps not on CBS.

safetogether4ever5
Member Avatar

desertgal
Mar 27 2009, 01:56 PM
So glad to hear this - I was really afraid Soapnet was gonna drop them.
u have NO idea what i was feeling cuz i was scared to death i mean i love days! and then again i would just watch whatever show rafe went to next but what about our safe or bope! im glad they are keeping it a while longer but i NEED to know how much longer!!! :dance:

oldschoolfan

I actually thinks it hurts them too unless the viewers count, but I didn't think they did. I would liove for them to show reruns from the 80s myself, preferably starting at about 85.

leah09
Member Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsBHty5JbkY

New Soapnet promo with Days featured SLs - Danloe, Safe, Phinie/Phelanie and Nicole/Sydney.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Tammy
Mar 27 2009, 03:20 PM
I wonder if when DAYS does go off the air if SOAPnet will be able to run re-runs. That I would LOVE!
Oooh, that would be fabulous!

Go ahead and bring down the axe, NBC! LoL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

leah09
Mar 28 2009, 05:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsBHty5JbkY

New Soapnet promo with Days featured SLs - Danloe, Safe, Phinie/Phelanie and Nicole/Sydney.

It's about time they updated the promos, especially for Days. This is the first time in a long time I've seen Soapnet actually give Days a bit more attention in their advertising. Maybe the show is performing better or maybe because it skews younger now Soapnet feels it's worth hyping more. Who knows LOL.

The promo isn't bad though. I've seen worse on Soapnet LOL.

leah09
Member Avatar

IA. The Promo is new (even though the Days clips are at least fews weeks old) but at least the clips are focusing on the CURRENT SLs. Pretty good promo.

I just hope this means they ditched that disgusting Lulue elevator scene- so NOT hot. LOL

King
Member Avatar

Yay! Any news like this is good news.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply