Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sara Bibel interviews JKJ, Hennig, Burnett
Topic Started: Mar 31 2009, 11:03 AM (2,146 Views)
Ellie

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/deep-soap/deep-soap-the-unexpectedly-best-days-ever/

Friday I journeyed to NBC Studios to interview Days of Our LivesĎ Jay Kenneth Johnson (Phillip), Shelly Henig (Stephanie) and, Molly Burnett (Melanie). The trio was in the midst of a photoshoot. Apparently, their love triangle is going to become a frontburner storyline. This is an interesting time for DOOL. The showís decision to write off several longterm cast members created a firestorm of controversy on the internet, but the ratings actually rose. This past week, DOOL was the #2 show among W18-49, quite a turnaround for a show that was battling Guiding Light for lowest rated soap a couple years ago. The trio spoke to me about their storyline, what itís like to lose Rachel Melvin and Darrin Brooks and life in Salem. My trip even featured a surprise cameo by a superstar.

Shelly Hennig on Why Stephanie Would Kick Melanieís Butt And Steve & Kaylaís Departure

The triangle is heating up.

Hennig: Melanie, Phillip and Stephanie for sure. Theyíre a huge love triangle thatís going to keep our show very interesting and hot and heavy. So keep watching.

Why is Phillip torn when Stephanieís a nice person and Melanieís pure evil?

Hennig: Itís like real life. Just like there are girls who go for the bad boys, there are guys who like the girls that are scandalous. That would be Melanie. I think Phillip is finding her pretty intriguing in a certain way. However, Stephanie would definitely be somebody he would much prefer to settle down with.

Stephanieís had a lot of bad luck with love since she came to Salem. What is it about Phillip that makes her willing to take a chance again?

Hennig: Stephanie likes to change guys. She tries with all her heart. I think sheís hoping to bring out the best in Phillip. She sees past the Kiriakis in him and sees a genuine guy who is completely adorable with his dimples and is very caring. She wants to bring that out in him because she knows itís there.

Do you think Stephanieís eventually going to appreciate Phillipís dark side?

Hennig: I think thatís what makes her so attracted to him in a physical way. That power, the way he holds himself, the whole Kiriakis thing about him, is sexy. But as far as being realistic, itís not something Stephanie can live with.

What have been your favorite scenes in this triangle?

Hennig: Some stuff thatís coming up. I think around April 21. I love doing scenes with Jay, Molly and Rachel. Rachel is one of my favorite costars in terms of working together. I think we have really intuitive thing going on with each other.

How do you feel about her impending departure?

Hennig: Really sad.

You and Melanie get into a knockdown fight over Phillip. Whoís going to win?

Hennig: Stephanie. Her Dad is Patch.

Speaking of which, how do you feel about your onscreen parents Mary Beth Evans and Stephen Nichols leaving the show?

Hennig: I am devastated that theyíre gone. I feel kind of like itís wrong that theyíre here and Iím not. But I know theyíre going to be fine and have great things coming there way.

Molly Burnett On Why She Loves Being Hated

Whatís it like playing the girl everyone loves to hate?

Burnett: I like it a lot because itís different from who I am. Iím usually pretty nice I hope. I love being evil because you get to release all your tension through your job.

I read a poll on a fansite where Melanie was voted one of the most hated characters in daytime.

Burnett: Iím number one on a lot of those lists. Hopefully that means Iím doing my job correctly, not that they hate me.

What gives Melanie the chutzpah to take on older, more experienced characters like Victor and Tony in the business world?

Burnett: I love it! Iím a womanís right activist and I think that for a young girl to have the guts to take them on is great. Melanieís not usually afraid of guys because of the way she grew up. EJ scares her a little bit, though.

Why?

Burnett: It could be the accent. Iím not sure. Thereís an intensity about him thatís just scary to her.

What drives Melanie? Why is she willing to blackmail and manipulate people to get what she wants?

Burnett: I donít really know because really she means well. Because sheís so immature in her life experience she makes mistakes. Then she realizes what sheís done and tried to make up for it but itís too late.

Out of all the hot men in Salem, why has Melanie set her sights on Phillip?

Burnett: Phillip is super hot, obviously, but heís almost evil a little bit. Melanie totally digs that. Melanieís kind of jaded and Phillipís in the same boat. She empathizes with him.

What would you like Melanieís future in Salem to be?

Burnett: I donít know. Iím kind of nervous. Melanie needs a girlfriend she can hang out with because everyone hates her. I want some drama. Iíd like to see her help people out. Melanieís going through some career changes, albeit not the most glamorous. Thereís some really funny stuff going on. Iím excited because I like comedy.

What jobs is Melanie actually qualified to do?

Burnett: Not a lot. Iím going to be honest.

How do you feel about the impending departure of your sparring partner Rachel Melvin (Chelsea) and the possible departure of your on-screen brother Darrin Brooks (Max) due to his being cast in a cable show?

Burnett: I love Rachel. Itís very hard to see her go. But sheís going to try new things. If Darrin were to leave Iíd be heartbroken but heís talented as heck.

You joined the show as part of a family unit that no longer really exists. Do you think the show has done a good job of transitioning Melanie into the larger fabric of Salem?

Burnett: Iíve got to be honest. Iím a little nervous because everyone hates her. But Maggie and her have a special bond. Her and Brady are friend so I think it will be okay.

What do you think Melanieís redeeming qualities are?

Burnett: She always means well. Sheíll mess up, but sheíll try and make it better. She really is a good person deep down. Thereís a lot of baggage.

What was her intent when she pitted everyone against each other with the blueprints?

Burnett: That was just a petty eighteen year old girl who is in love with a boy and is being silly about it. The money was great but I donít even think it was about that. It was about she was in love with Phillip. Sheís trying to make him jealous.

There have been a lot of changes at DOOL lately, with some of the veteran actors leaving. Whatís the mood like on the set?

Burnett: Itís all right. Youíve got to do what youíve got to do to survive especially in this economy. Weíre just going with a new angle on the show. As long as you come to work prepared with a smile on your face and try to keep the environment okay. I just try to bring a lighthearted sensibility to the environment as much as I can.

Who are your closest friends in the DOOL cast?

Burnett: I love Darrin to death. I love Rachel. I love Jay. I love Shelly. The younger group is pretty tight.

What sort of reception have you gotten from the fans at public appearances?

Burnett: I did the ďDay of DaysĒ which was outrageous. I never could have been prepared for that. The fans are great. Theyíre devoted. I love them.

Have you ever had people confuse you with your character?

Burnett: Yeah. I was with my Mom in a furniture store. Some woman came up to me and was like, Ē You need to be nicer to Max, Melanie!Ē

Are you interested in pursuing acting roles outside of daytime?

Burnett: I just filmed a guest spot on True Blood. I had a singing part. Iím really excited because Iím a singer too.

Jay Kenneth Johnson Bares (Almost) All

Full disclosure: Johnson did this interview shirtless. Yes, heís even more attractive in person. I thought that after years working in daytime Iíd be used to the sight of beautiful men in states of undress. Apparently not. I turned into a tongue tied idiot.

Phillip is torn between two women, one good and one evil. What does he see in each of them?

Johnson: In Stephanie he sees someone who can make him a better man. With Melanie I donít think heís quite sure. Itís the game. Heís excited about the challenge. Someone thatís kind of like him.

Phillipís become more ruthless over the past few months. How do you feel about the evolution of his character?

Johnson: I think itís natural. Him being Victor and Kateís son, itís only natural. Iím glad theyíve gone that way. Iím having fun playing it.

You recently signed a new contract. You have a lot of primetime experience. Why did you decode to stay with DOOL?

Johnson: They gave me a paycheck. (laughs) That said I feel very blessed to be working. Days has given me a great storyline.

Whatís it been like losing so many veteran actors?

Johnson: Itís not just the cast. Itís the crew. Even editing. Across the board weíve lost people. Itís sad. People had been here for twenty years. But, you know, bigger and better things. Something else will happen.

It seems like the show has gone in a new direction.

Johnson: Itís pretty visible. I looked at the screen today and I saw about five people I havenít even met yet.

But John Anistonís got a lot to do, too. Whatís he like in real life?

Johnson: Total pimp. Great guy. Always has a joke for you.

Who are your closest friends on the set?

Johnson: I see these guys every day. I donít really want to see them outside of here. (laughs) Tonight Iím going to go home. Iím going to order a pizza.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Thanks for posting, Ellie! I was hoping that this crappy triangle was not going anywhere, but I guess I was wrong. About the only positive thing I can take from it is that MB is saying Melanie is in love with Philip and she's only friends with Brady, so let's hope she doesn't ruin another man for me. MB does seem to have a handle on her character and at least she acknowledges Melanie isn't qualified for any jobs, lol.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Thanks for sharing, Ellie!
I am going to try to give this triangle a chance...not a big fan of Stephanie and Phillip, and Melanie and Phillip don't really do it for me either, but the actors seems to enjoy it and it sounds like some stuff is coming up.

esp13
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie. I was hoping that triangle was dead as well. If they don't want Philip and Stephanie together I can live with that but I wish they'd keep him away from Melanie.

jane1978

Thanks a lot! I love the chemistry JKJ has with both girls so Iīm glad the triangle is not ending. Phillip/Steph have the qualities of a classic DAYS romance, but I donīt mind some Mel/Phillip teasing along the way. I wonder what she will do to manipulate herself back into his life now when the AFP appears to be over.

Poor Molly seems to be so scared and insecure. She is right, itīs not easy to be a bad girl and stay as a longterm character, itīs always a thinline. But Nicol is a bad girl with no ties to the key Salem families as well so maybe she has a chance.

I will definitely check out the True Blood episode with her singing. That should be hillarious.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I don't want Philip in yet another triangle :huh:

SoapFan82

Melanie is still an immature child to me and I don't understand why Philip would be romantically attracted to someone who acts like a petulant brat.

jane1978

SoapFan82
Mar 31 2009, 03:28 PM
Melanie is still an immature child to me and I don't understand why Philip would be romantically attracted to someone who acts like a petulant brat.
I think Melanie is the kind of girl why there are an entire sections called "spank me, I was a naughty girl" on the adult web, so I definitely think the sexual attraction is possible. Phillip is just a man after all and while Mel doesnīt have the looks of ex-beauty queen as Stephanie she knows how to play powerfull men and their hidden desires quite well.

Romantic attraction? Not so much, but there are no signs Phillip is attracted to her that way and I doubt heīll ever be.
Edited by jane1978, Mar 31 2009, 04:17 PM.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

SoapFan82
Melanie is an attractive girl who appreciates the dark side of Philip. I would think that is what he likes in her :)

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Hmm,,sorry not something I want to see with the delicious JKJ..now if it were Shelley/JKJ and MM...that would be something to watch...Melanie looks like his really younger sister..

oldschoolfan

Boo! I don't want this triangle. Melanie just seems like such a child to me to be with Philip. Why do we have to constantly get triangles? Chloe/Daniel/Lucas and Sami/EJ/(insert name here).

BradyDiva06
Member Avatar

EjsGaGirl
Mar 31 2009, 07:13 PM
Hmm,,sorry not something I want to see with the delicious JKJ..now if it were Shelley/JKJ and MM...that would be something to watch...Melanie looks like his really younger sister..
Melanie does seem like his sister. I felt they should have made the character of Melanie older if this were going to be a real triangle. I enjoy the chemistry of Shelley/JKJ and i'm enjoying their storyline together.

leah09
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
Mar 31 2009, 06:52 PM
SoapFan82
Melanie is an attractive girl who appreciates the dark side of Philip. I would think that is what he likes in her :)
Since Phloe is dead and buried, I am all for Melanie/Philip.

Melanie is a hoot. Can't believe I despised this girl once upon a time.
She is so much more interesting than Stephanie but I have to admit, Stephanie's scenes are not nearly as painful when Mel is in the mix.

I can't believe my two favorite "potential" pairs are now Danloe & Philanie!
What a difference six months can make. LOL

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I find it interesting that the actors all seem to have a solid understanding of their character motivations in this triangle but people, at least here, aren't really buying this as a viable triangle.

If TPTB want this to work I think they need to recast Stephanie and develop that character. She's not automatically interesting because she's Patch's daughter, and the actress is bland as hell, imho. And JKJ doesn't have enough chemistry to cover both of these actress and make this thing interesting enough to hold down the frontburner as some kind of love thing. Then again, a constant-but-small number of people will watch anything NBC soaps air.

Thanks for posting!

leah09
Member Avatar

^^ ITA, px. The current Stephanie is too vanilla (even though she is very pretty) and dull.
I just don't see any chemistry between her and Philip. She is def. the weak link in this triangle. I also couldn't care less that she is Payla's kid. Not enough of a reason to make her "rootable".

esp13
Member Avatar

Funny, I think if they want to make the triangle viable, they need to recast Melanie with somebody older who doesn't come off as a bratty kid instead of the vixen she's apparently supposed to be viewed as. But chemistry is a subjective thing and while I like the chem between JKJ and SH, I don't see any between JKJ and MB.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

I guess I missed the "Melanie is pure evil" part of the show.

Especially when you consider some of the things that some of the other bad girls have done, Melanie's a beginner. Immature, yes, but that can change.

But if she's pure evil, the evil bar sure has been lowered.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Apr 1 2009, 01:46 PM

Especially when you consider some of the things that some of the other bad girls have done, Melanie's a beginner. Immature, yes, but that can change.

Esp13, I'm the exact opposite.

I don't see anything between JKJ and SH but tons between JKJ and MB.

IMO Stephanie should bore Phil as much as Phillinie bores me.
Edited by SpriteEyes, Apr 1 2009, 01:48 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I see no chemistry between either JKJ and SH or JKJ and MB, but least I can theoretically see the attraction between Philip and Stephanie. Since I think of Melanie as an irritating, unattractive and obnoxious teenager, it's difficult for me to imagine why a divorced former Marine CEO would have the slightest interest in her when he could have a million more attractive women at his beck and call.
Edited by Paxton, Apr 1 2009, 05:22 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Apr 1 2009, 01:48 PM
SpriteEyes
Apr 1 2009, 01:46 PM

Esp13, I'm the exact opposite.

I don't see anything between JKJ and SH but tons between JKJ and MB.

IMO Stephanie should bore Phil as much as Phillinie bores me.
Fair enough. I think that Melanie should annoy and repulse Philip as much as the idea of Melanie and Philip together annoys and repulses me. ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply