Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Thaao Penghlis interviewed on his exit; April 14th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Apr 1 2009, 10:45 AM (1,087 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

Thaao Penghlis is interviewed in this week's SOD.

- Regarding the fact that Tony died, Thaao says, "I really believe that after the sixth death, it's a hostile act. I don't understand why this character has always got to be killed."

- Thaao says that "it's not the leaving" that's making him upset, since he has other projects in the works.

- He says he was "given some really interesting things to play" on Days recently, and "it's a pity that wasn't there before".

- Thaao was disappointed in how he heard the news that he was leaving. "Suddenly it was, 'We're getting rid of you again.'" He says there was "something missing" from how it was handled, and he was disappointed in the "top brass" with whom he's shared some nice moments over the years. But he says his choice was "to leave as well as I could and I think I did that."

- When he was lying the bed for Tony's last scene, he became emotional, because he says that he felt Deidre and Drake's presence, "how much they were part of the show and how well they kept the show going, those two". He was sad not to have them there during his final scenes.

- After Thaao taped his final scenes, he says, "I embraced my crew and left quietly." He was disappointed that Gary Tomlin wasn't there.

- He then discusses his Emmy prenomination. He says he wasn't submitted and that he paid money to submit himself "because I do have a show in the hospital that I thought was good." He says they then did a secret ballot with the cast and he got in. He is grateful for that and says, "If there are a few things I left with, this time, one was the support of the cast."

- SOD asks Thaao if he'd ever return to Days. He says that his upcoming projects are more exciting to him "because it means that it's progress and change", but he says regarding Days, "I like the character and I like the cast, so all I can say is that for now, Days is just a signpost for me in wherever else I'm moving on to."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie!

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie. :)

I don't get the part about him paying money to submit himself. Is that a joke or are actors allowed to do that? :huh1:

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Thanks for posting!

I was wondering about that payment for a prenom thing, too.

Technically Tony has never died before, right? That was always Andre because Tony was held captive on an island or something for 20+ years by his father (who is now devastated)- isn't that the last word on things? So, y'know...maybe he could hold onto that. It's really only dying once as this character. Until they tell us it's Andre again.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

px780
Apr 1 2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for posting!

I was wondering about that payment for a prenom thing, too.

Technically Tony has never died before, right? That was always Andre because Tony was held captive on an island or something for 20+ years by his father (who is now devastated)- isn't that the last word on things? So, y'know...maybe he could hold onto that. It's really only dying once as this character. Until they tell us it's Andre again.
I was just about to say the same thing.

The only other time he exited as Tony was when he disappeared in the fog in 1985 and I guess you can say many presumed him dead because of that but that was hardly anything hostile. It was Andre who died at Maison Blanche. Andre who died during the SSK story. Andre who died in October 2007 after pulling his own plug. I don't know where he gets six deaths unless he is counting when he got a knife to the throat during the end of the Melaswen shit. Either way, that was Andre too so I'm pretty sure he just means in general how many times it's happened. I do agree it looks hostile in regards to how they deal with him.

Unlike his post on his site, I saw no problem with these comments. Obviously, he was asked to be interviewed but I thought he expressed himself in a much better manner here. Maybe it's because alot of this he already said in postings on his site. I don't blame him for being upset though and I'm glad he's moving on. I think that's good because I would rather they just leave both Tony and Andre dead at this point.

The whole ballot thing is the only thing that stuck out to me here that bothers me. He mentioned it before but I still feel like it's an egotistical thing to do and that the biggest motivation behind it is to use it in a way so people remember him and it keeps his name out there after he leaves. It helps his employment chances, in other words. Thaoo is not stupid. He knows the economy and the situation and he sees that Dee, Drake, MBE, and SN aren't getting bites so he's just trying to take care of himself. So, I guess, I don't feel it's a bad thing. It still bothers me for some reason but the cast did support it so I can't really say it makes him look bad or that it was an awful thing to do. I've just never heard of that being done like that before in secret like that but, like I said, the cast went along with it so it's nothing for me to get upset about.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I really don't get the prenom thing.

He paid to have his name submitted for consideration to the Days cast? And the cast then voted in secret and select his name as one of the two for submission to the main Emmy nomination committee? Is that really how it goes? That seems...ridiculous. Not on his part for doing it; the idea of it doesn't make sense to me.

Much as I don't like him, I don't fault him for seeking recognition if he felt he did good work.

I don't think death is hostile. I think it's the nature of the character. Andre is psychotic. He comes in every now and again as Tony, does some f-d up stuff and then "dies."

coffeelover

I think Thaao would come back in a heart beat - the reason is that he always seems to leave the door open in his performances to the possibility that his character(s) didn't actually die. Andre pulled his own plug??? Tony maybe a goner but I think Andre could rise again!

e83talus
Member Avatar

coffeelover
Apr 1 2009, 12:12 PM
I think Thaao would come back in a heart beat - the reason is that he always seems to leave the door open in his performances to the possibility that his character(s) didn't actually die. Andre pulled his own plug??? Tony maybe a goner but I think Andre could rise again!
I get that he would come back in a minute as well.

My thing is if you are going to simply roll over and go back every time they ask, why bitch and moan about being fired and treated poorly?
I wish him good luck as I do to all of those who were fired but I am sort of tired of him talking about how poorly he has been treated and woe is Tony and all the times he's been treated poorly. If you are really over it and have so many projects in the works, go ahead and do them and stop whining over this awful show with the awful history of treating you so poorly.

oldschoolfan

Thanks for posting. Hmm, didn't know you could pay to submit for the prenoms. Sorry to see him go and it is a shame that they give him nothing to do until right before his exit.

Hoochie21
Member Avatar

Ellie
Apr 1 2009, 10:45 AM
Please link to DR.

Thaao Penghlis is interviewed in this week's SOD.

- Regarding the fact that Tony died, Thaao says, "I really believe that after the sixth death, it's a hostile act. I don't understand why this character has always got to be killed."

- Thaao says that "it's not the leaving" that's making him upset, since he has other projects in the works.

- He says he was "given some really interesting things to play" on Days recently, and "it's a pity that wasn't there before".

- Thaao was disappointed in how he heard the news that he was leaving. "Suddenly it was, 'We're getting rid of you again.'" He says there was "something missing" from how it was handled, and he was disappointed in the "top brass" with whom he's shared some nice moments over the years. But he says his choice was "to leave as well as I could and I think I did that."

- When he was lying the bed for Tony's last scene, he became emotional, because he says that he felt Deidre and Drake's presence, "how much they were part of the show and how well they kept the show going, those two". He was sad not to have them there during his final scenes.

- After Thaao taped his final scenes, he says, "I embraced my crew and left quietly." He was disappointed that Gary Tomlin wasn't there.

- He then discusses his Emmy prenomination. He says he wasn't submitted and that he paid money to submit himself "because I do have a show in the hospital that I thought was good." He says they then did a secret ballot with the cast and he got in. He is grateful for that and says, "If there are a few things I left with, this time, one was the support of the cast."

- SOD asks Thaao if he'd ever return to Days. He says that his upcoming projects are more exciting to him "because it means that it's progress and change", but he says regarding Days, "I like the character and I like the cast, so all I can say is that for now, Days is just a signpost for me in wherever else I'm moving on to."

Awww, what a great guy Thaao is, I could tell that the hospital scenes were emotional for him, since he had tears in his eyes, and that made me cry even harder... :frownie:

And I have never heard of anyone paying to be a pre-nominee, so the other times when he was pre-nomed, he really did deserve it!

What an amazingly talented actor he is...too bad he was wasted on such a pathetic show. :redface:

Gary Tomlin is a fucking asshole too.

:rockon: Thaao!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply