Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ali Sweeney about.com Interview
Topic Started: Apr 6 2009, 08:23 AM (1,420 Views)
Ponz
Member Avatar

Full interview is at the link. Here's the DAYS-related stuff:

GM: Days of Our Lives, letís talk about that. How do you like working with Galen Gering (Rafe)?

AS: Oh, itís been so fun getting to know Galen. I mean, weíve known each other for nine years since he started Passions, and I get to see him longer than that now. And itís funny to have known him for so long through NBC events and stuff like that and then to all of a sudden be working together in a storyline. Itís been wonderful. I think heís a very talented actor. We have fun working together, and itís nice. Itís a new, different storyline for Sami.

GM: Heís caught on with a lot of fans, and many seem to be rooting for the pairing of Rafe and Sami.

AS: Safe?

GM: Yes!

AS: Yeah, itís been fun to see that reaction, to see people getting on board with that.

GM: And Dylan Patton, heís doing a great job as Will. How do you like working with him?

AS: Heís cute! Heís a good kid. Itís sort of overwhelming to me sometimes to realize my character has a sixteen-year-old, but I love working with him and itís been fun getting to know him and getting used to having Will on the canvas like that as a teenager, and in some ways I think a reflection of myself. You know I started when I was sixteen and itís so funny that I have that full circle feeling. But heís great, heís talented, heís fun to work with, and I enjoy the dynamics Sami has with Will, so weíve been having fun.

GM: And I saw that you mentioned so much awesome stuff is happening right now. Does that mean that Samiís going to try and stop the wedding between E.J. and Nicole?

AS: Oh yeah, itís very exciting! Thereís a lot of good stuff happening on the show and you couldnít imagine how this storyline is progressing with Nicole. Sheís got a lot to balance with all these secrets that sheís keeping and itís definitely a very tangled web. And Samiís got her own secrets, so itís definitely like I said...I donít know if I mentioned it in my blog, but what Ari (Zucker, Nicole) and I were talking about is that every person in the story, every character has such a strong motive of where theyíre coming from and such strong feelings about their side of the situation. So I think that makes it so compelling to tell and such a great, classic soap story and taking it in a really interesting direction. As a fan, you can imagine what emotional levels there are to every step of this story. From Samiís point of view, hopefully the truth coming out eventually and finding out that sheís still in love with this beautiful little girl Grace. I think there are so many beats to play out in the story and as actors we relish that opportunity. Even just the moment where Sami had to tell them that she had adopted a baby. You know from Samiís perspective the idea that the lie is so painful to her, but sheís doing it for the babyís benefit. So having E.J. be so nice to her all of a sudden, compassionate, and trying to help her and all that, itís just interesting.

GM: And it was so nice to see you working with Bryan (Dattilo, Lucas) again yesterday. I really miss seeing Lucas and Sami together.

AS: I do too! I am definitely a long-standing Lumi fan and I miss working with Bryan every day. He is so fun! I was in a scene the other day and looking around, like he and I have such a history together, for some inside joke and he wasnít on the set. Itís just strange when I donít get to work with him all the time.

GM: Is there any glimmer of hope for Lumi or it is pretty much over?

AS: You know, I do not believe in being hopeless. I think on this soap anything is possible, and I think that Lucas and Sami obviously have a history. We find that every time we work together there is so much past between them. I love the fact that she chose to confide in him and the fact that it was so painful for her to lie to him in the first place, to not tell him the truth about Grace. It speaks a lot about their history and their friendship.....their past is such a deep relationship and ultimately a friendship and a trust that they have with each other. No matter what they say, no matter what the words that are coming out of their mouths, thereís obviously a lot underneath it all. So I took that as a sign that, you know, never say never I guess is all I can say. Because ultimately, I donít write the show. I donít know where itís going. All I know is the scripts I hold in my hand.

GM: You just have chemistry with all the men.

AS: Oh, thank you! And the hard thing for me is that, I feel like itís hard for me to speak to it because I always want to make sure that I donít want to take away from the other storylines or relationships that Sami has on the show. And I donít want people to think I prefer one over the other or have favorites or whatever it is. I love walking in Samiís shoes, I mean she is certainly a lucky girl. They are all very good-looking, wonderful men, and Iím really lucky to work with all of them.

http://daysofourlives.about.com/od/interviews/a/AlisonSweeneyInterview_1.htm
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manda1

Ponz
Apr 6 2009, 08:23 AM
Full interview is at the link. Here's the DAYS-related stuff:

GM: Days of Our Lives, letís talk about that. How do you like working with Galen Gering (Rafe)?

AS: Oh, itís been so fun getting to know Galen. I mean, weíve known each other for nine years since he started Passions, and I get to see him longer than that now. And itís funny to have known him for so long through NBC events and stuff like that and then to all of a sudden be working together in a storyline. Itís been wonderful. I think heís a very talented actor. We have fun working together, and itís nice. Itís a new, different storyline for Sami.

GM: Heís caught on with a lot of fans, and many seem to be rooting for the pairing of Rafe and Sami.

AS: Yeah, itís been fun to see that reaction, to see people getting on board with that.

GM: And Dylan Patton, heís doing a great job as Will. How do you like working with him?

AS: Heís cute! Heís a good kid. Itís sort of overwhelming to me sometimes to realize my character has a sixteen-year-old, but I love working with him and itís been fun getting to know him and getting used to having Will on the canvas like that as a teenager, and in some ways I think a reflection of myself. You know I started when I was sixteen and itís so funny that I have that full circle feeling. But heís great, heís talented, heís fun to work with, and I enjoy the dynamics Sami has with Will, so weíve been having fun.

GM: And I saw that you mentioned so much awesome stuff is happening right now. Does that mean that Samiís going to try and stop the wedding between E.J. and Nicole?

AS: Oh yeah, itís very exciting! Thereís a lot of good stuff happening on the show and you couldnít imagine how this storyline is progressing with Nicole. Sheís got a lot to balance with all these secrets that sheís keeping and itís definitely a very tangled web. And Samiís got her own secrets, so itís definitely like I said...I donít know if I mentioned it in my blog, but what Ari (Zucker, Nicole) and I were talking about is that every person in the story, every character has such a strong motive of where theyíre coming from and such strong feelings about their side of the situation. So I think that makes it so compelling to tell and such a great, classic soap story and taking it in a really interesting direction. As a fan, you can imagine what emotional levels there are to every step of this story. From Samiís point of view, hopefully the truth coming out eventually and finding out that sheís still in love with this beautiful little girl Grace. I think there are so many beats to play out in the story and as actors we relish that opportunity. Even just the moment where Sami had to tell them that she had adopted a baby. You know from Samiís perspective the idea that the lie is so painful to her, but sheís doing it for the babyís benefit. So having E.J. be so nice to her all of a sudden, compassionate, and trying to help her and all that, itís just interesting.

GM: And it was so nice to see you working with Bryan (Dattilo, Lucas) again yesterday. I really miss seeing Lucas and Sami together.

AS: I do too! I am definitely a long-standing Lumi fan and I miss working with Bryan every day. He is so fun! I was in a scene the other day and looking around, like he and I have such a history together, for some inside joke and he wasnít on the set. Itís just strange when I donít get to work with him all the time.

GM: Is there any glimmer of hope for Lumi or it is pretty much over?

AS: You know, I do not believe in being hopeless. I think on this soap anything is possible, and I think that Lucas and Sami obviously have a history. We find that every time we work together there is so much past between them. I love the fact that she chose to confide in him and the fact that it was so painful for her to lie to him in the first place, to not tell him the truth about Grace. It speaks a lot about their history and their friendship.....their past is such a deep relationship and ultimately a friendship and a trust that they have with each other. No matter what they say, no matter what the words that are coming out of their mouths, thereís obviously a lot underneath it all. So I took that as a sign that, you know, never say never I guess is all I can say. Because ultimately, I donít write the show. I donít know where itís going. All I know is the scripts I hold in my hand.

GM: You just have chemistry with all the men.

AS: Oh, thank you! And the hard thing for me is that, I feel like itís hard for me to speak to it because I always want to make sure that I donít want to take away from the other storylines or relationships that Sami has on the show. And I donít want people to think I prefer one over the other or have favorites or whatever it is. I love walking in Samiís shoes, I mean she is certainly a lucky girl. They are all very good-looking, wonderful men, and Iím really lucky to work with all of them.

http://daysofourlives.about.com/od/interviews/a/AlisonSweeneyInterview_1.htm
I am so glad that Ali is enjoying working with Galen in the 'Safe' storyline and really pleased that she was forthright in her stating she is a long-standing Lumi Fan! Of course I would like her with Rafe but if not I would be happy with Lumi. :tounge: Rafe will still be th gorgeous good guy that he is....he'd find someone else. :wub:

Thanks for posting!

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Thanks for posting!

It was pretty bold for her to say that she doesn't write the show, considering the shitstorm that happened with the whole Diva thing.

I'm struck by the same thought I had with the interview with the folks in the Melanie/Phillip/Stephanie storyline. The actors seem to be understanding their characters and thinking they have clear motives, but when I've half-watched lately I'm not buying any of it or even really understanding. That's an interesting disconnect. And I lack her faith in the writers- they won't play out any of the "beats" in this storyline. Follow up with Sami's feelings towards Grace? Maybe because it's Sweeney, but I really doubt it.

Mostly though, with this interview to me she comes off kind of...strange. I want to tell her to step away from the message boards, and for the first time with her it seems more about image management than just an interview (at least this part), if that makes sense.

devlgirl31

px780
Apr 6 2009, 11:07 AM

Mostly though, with this interview to me she comes off kind of...strange. I want to tell her to step away from the message boards, and for the first time with her it seems more about image management than just an interview (at least this part), if that makes sense.
She definitely sounds very "PC"- addressing the Safe, Lumi & EJami fans. Guess she would have to be, they are dropping like flies over there. No one seems to be safe, even if she has been there since she was 16. Biggest Loser isn't a full time gig, I guess LOL.

ginababe
BANNED

wasn't as bad as I was expecting, all in all, not bad, not great (for me personally) but not bad. As always, she remains very diplomatic. I've come to terms w/ her love for Lumi, because ultimately it's her love and friendship for Bryan. So I don't have a problem with it :D

Nicole Walker

Great interview. Maybe one day the writers will stick Sami with one man. Seems like Ali and Ari are enjoying the storyline it definetly gives these two ladies some meaty material.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

It was time to end "Lumi" for awhile, but really appreciate the characters still have this great friendship. Ultimately, it has been the best for Lucas as an individual character to move on into another story. I've really been enjoying Sami since she has been back from the convent. My Sami love has returned and I didn't think that would ever happen.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

LOL @ her reaction to being told people like safe....Safe?.......To funny!

Red Mist
Member Avatar

ginababe
Apr 6 2009, 02:59 PM
wasn't as bad as I was expecting, all in all, not bad, not great (for me personally) but not bad. As always, she remains very diplomatic. I've come to terms w/ her love for Lumi, because ultimately it's her love and friendship for Bryan. So I don't have a problem with it :D
I was totally expecting to hear that stuff for her...She always says that kind of thing, but yet Lumi has no signs of ever being together....Frankly, I like them much better as they are now.
Much better friends then lovers.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Love the Lumi love :D

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Dragonish1
Apr 7 2009, 11:04 AM
:D Exactly!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

EjsGaGirl
Apr 7 2009, 02:08 PM
Dragonish1
I'm not sure what you're getting it. If you're implying that the interviewer asked AS about "Safe" and she was confused, that's not how it reads to me:

AS is the one who brought up their couple nickname in response to the question about Sami and Rafe, and she also comments positively on fans' reaction to her new pairing. I know from long experience reading transcripts that the printed word often does not carry the same effect as a conversation one hears, lacking such conversational cues as smiles, laughs, frowns, winks, etc. It's why I make an effort not to joke when I'm questioning witnesses because sometimes the cold transcript can read very differently and in a way that is not intended. Given that AS followed up with the comment about people getting on board with Safe, along with the fact that she is the one who used the slang-y nickname, I doubt she was saying she couldn't imagine what the interviewer was talking about.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Paxton
Apr 7 2009, 02:19 PM
EjsGaGirl
Dragonish1
I'm not sure what you're getting it. If you're implying that the interviewer asked AS about "Safe" and she was confused, that's not how it reads to me:

AS is the one who brought up their couple nickname in response to the question about Sami and Rafe, and she also comments positively on fans' reaction to her new pairing. I know from long experience reading transcripts that the printed word often does not carry the same effect as a conversation one hears, lacking such conversational cues as smiles, laughs, frowns, winks, etc. It's why I make an effort not to joke when I'm questioning witnesses because sometimes the cold transcript can read very differently and in a way that is not intended. Given that AS followed up with the comment about people getting on board with Safe, along with the fact that she is the one who used the slang-y nickname, I doubt she was saying she couldn't imagine what the interviewer was talking about.
Dude, you are totally over-analyzing....no need to respond with long winded posts.
Its just something that made me laugh thats all. ;)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Good interview.

LOL to her mentioning she doesn't write the show. That was pretty bold. Even if she doesn't write the show, she has major clout now so she can get shit done if she pushed hard enough.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 7 2009, 03:32 PM.

Manda1

Dragonish1
Apr 7 2009, 02:24 PM
Paxton
Apr 7 2009, 02:19 PM
EjsGaGirl

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

Dude, you are totally over-analyzing....no need to respond with long winded posts.
Its just something that made me laugh thats all. ;)
Paxyon is spot on though! I think it's cute that Ali already knows the name of the budding couple! :wub: And we can see from the other article at soaps.com that she's loving the new and 'maturing' direction for the Sami character.

Nicole Walker

I also thought it was funny that she knew their nickname. I tyep those shorthand names so much that I actually started saying them. LOL. People that don't go to message boards didn't know what hell I was talking about. LOL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply