Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Rachel Melvin exit spoiler
Topic Started: Apr 7 2009, 01:39 PM (1,812 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Days' Mass Exodus

Hot on the heels the departures of several heavyweights on Days of Our Lives Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Mary Beth Evans, Stephen Nichols, Leann Hunley and Thaao Penghlis Rachel Melvin (Chelsea Brady) announced that she is quitting the soap after four years. Her character will leave town on the premise of helping her mother, Billie, who has been in an accident overseas. Her final appearance should be at the end of April/beginning of May.

The 24-year-old actress, who has played Chelsea since 2005, has expressed her desire to try projects outside of daytime. "It was never my intention to be on a soap opera for as long as I was," she told Soap Opera Digest. "When you think of soaps, you think 'Oh, beautiful people'; and I never categorized myself that way, and I guess I just kind of discounted the possibility of working on one."

http://daytimedial.blogspot.com/2009/04/days-mass-exodus.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

thanks Angie...I figured they would use Billie for some excuse for her leaving!!

lene
Member Avatar

THIS SUCKS!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Not really surprised by an excuse for the exit.

Ellie

lene
Apr 7 2009, 01:54 PM
THIS SUCKS!
Why?

There's no paralysis involved. (Ok, maybe Billie was hurt, but still.)

Her character is not killed.

Her character actually has an exit.

Sounds to me like under the circumstances, she did pretty well!!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

This seems totally fine as an exit to me too. She's not supposedly still wandering around Salem like a ghost; there's a reason she's off canvas, and it's easy to bring her back if they want. Nothing about this exit is damaging to her character. She and Max were hardly enough of a couple IMO to warrant some big sappy exit story. I'm sure Max will be sad his niece lover has to leave town and they'll get a few scenes and that will be that.

peaches179

Ellie
Apr 7 2009, 02:03 PM
lene
Apr 7 2009, 01:54 PM
THIS SUCKS!
Why?

There's no paralysis involved. (Ok, maybe Billie was hurt, but still.)

Her character is not killed.

Her character actually has an exit.

Sounds to me like under the circumstances, she did pretty well!!

ICAM.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Yeah- on another show I would call this as bullshit. They only thing- Kate better react to this. Actually...Kate would be more likely to force Billie to come back to Salem and live in the Kirakis mansion or something...where she could hook up with Max or Rafe or someone. She would never just let Chelsea walk off if Billie were that injured.

Still- for Days this is pretty clever. Good for you, writers.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree...it works.

It leaves it open for her to return and it doesn't damage her character at all. It also won't come off as hackneyed or rushed because it's her mother and she has to go be with her. It works on so many levels. The last two big exits (Tony and now Chelsea) have worked because the characters are actually getting an exit that has thought to it and that has some sort of purpose. The only way they could screw this up is if Kate doesn't really make mention of the situation but that would be more of an oversight then a huge screwup.

I have a feeling they feel she will be back though because this sort of exit is not exactly one that lends itself being long--term. That isn't to say she will be back but I think the show feels she will or they may have made sure the exit was something that setup her being gone for a long time. This comes off more like going off for a few months or something. Of course, they could always say she decided to stay with her mom like they did with Abby when she left in much the same way as this but they've set it up for her to be written right back in if she chooses to return.

Bradyclan

Kinda lame exit . I was expecting more, TBH. But by Days standard , it's good.

And I agree that this feels like a short term exit not a long term one.
Selfishly, I wish Rachel comes back especially if Days gets extended.

jane1978

This is better then I expected. And its good for the DB summer limited appearance as well. They can now easily do the Jennifer/Frankie kind of breakup. Max as the noble guy will convince Chelsea to go and she will promise him she will stay in contact and return as soon as possible only to eventually sending a letter saying her mum really needs her now and shes decided to stay and set Max free because he deserves more then a long distance lover.

Max will be sad and disappointed and shutting himself off with the work and not caring about anything else, thus all they will have to do is pretape a few scenes with him and Mel at the pub.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I'm hoping maybe Max is so upset he has no more nieces to bang, he decides to leave town......

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Apr 7 2009, 03:41 PM
This is better then I expected. And its good for the DB summer limited appearance as well. They can now easily do the Jennifer/Frankie kind of breakup. Max as the noble guy will convince Chelsea to go and she will promise him she will stay in contact and return as soon as possible only to eventually sending a letter saying her mum really needs her now and shes decided to stay and set Max free because he deserves more then a long distance lover.

Max will be sad and disappointed and shutting himself off with the work and not caring about anything else, thus all they will have to do is pretape a few scenes with him and Mel at the pub.
I never thought of this but your right. They could play it very similarly to Jennifer/Frankie and it would be ironic given Frankie is his brother. It also limits his appearances so it works.

Bradyclan

jane1978
Apr 7 2009, 03:41 PM

Good thinking. That would work well. But I doubt DOOL's writers will go this route.

soapfan
Member Avatar

px780
Apr 7 2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah- on another show I would call this as bullshit. They only thing- Kate better react to this. Actually...Kate would be more likely to force Billie to come back to Salem and live in the Kirakis mansion or something...where she could hook up with Max or Rafe or someone. She would never just let Chelsea walk off if Billie were that injured.

Still- for Days this is pretty clever. Good for you, writers.
I agree. I wonder how the writers are going to explain why Kate wouldn't want to help Billie. There's no way that she would do nothing when one of her children has been hurt. She is always in their business so I find it hard to believe that she wouldn't want to be with her daughter when she was hurt.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Is it bad that I don't really care that she is leaving?

She is a capable actress and had a good run, but Chelsea just NEVER became someone to me who was absolutely needed on this show.

Not TOO sad to see her go, to be truly honest.

:shrug:
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Apr 7 2009, 05:57 PM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Once Nick left I lost interest in Chelsea..Those two had so much potential to be a huge couple, but Hogan botched it with Jett...I will miss Rachel Melvin, but not Chelsea..

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mitchapalooza
Apr 7 2009, 05:56 PM
Is it bad that I don't really care that she is leaving?

She is a capable actress and had a good run, but Chelsea just NEVER became someone to me who was absolutely needed on this show.

Not TOO sad to see her go, to be truly honest.

:shrug:
I feel the same.

I love Melvin and maybe this would've stung more a year ago but it doesn't now. I know the show held back on using her and Darin because they were uncertain about their status but it helped immensely not seeing them so much since the Fall because now if they both leave, it will hardly have any impact and there won't be as much of a void.

oldschoolfan

I assumed alll along that they would use Billie as the reason she would leave Salem. It definitely leaves the door open for her return or a recast if needed.

Bradyclan

Storyline wise maybe but losing RM and even DB will have impact on the "new gen" storyline.

Especially since they'll probably push Hennig and Burnett to the forefront as leading younger actresses. While they are capable actresses, I can't feel Hennig as a younger lead. She just isn't up to par, IMO.
Burnett is good but her character isn't fleshed out enough to be trusted into the forefront.

The character of Chelsea has made tremendous progress and is one of the characters that has ties with just about everybody. That combined to the talent of Melvin brought something to the show.

I guess we'll see the impact this summer when Hennig , Burnett and the new girl will be leading the younger generation.

Thank god for JKJ staying cause he's probably the one who will have to carry the summer younger storyline ( oh and Wes Ramsey as well.)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply