Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS Interview: Mary Beth Evans & Stephen Nichols
Topic Started: Apr 8 2009, 06:34 PM (2,942 Views)
Ponz
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Apr 8 2009, 11:44 PM
Ponz
Apr 8 2009, 07:34 PM
Sheffer replaced several veteran DAYS writers with his ATWT buddies so he's not blameless in this area.

And I don't blame him one bit. A lot of the DAYS writers Hogan got rid of were from Reilly's writing team and they were very amateurish. The writers that had to go probably didn't get Hogan's material well, and Hogan saw that his material wouldn't make it onto the screen the way he wanted it to with those writers. So he brought in his own crew, and I still saw no big problem in the writing. I would say Hogan's writing team gave more nods to the history of the show than any other writing team I have seen thus far, INCLUDING Brash and Cwickly.
Sheffer's "nods" to history were of the superficial "look, we've done our research!" variety. They were inserted into the scripts but seldom integrated into the stories in a meaningful way.

I agree that JER's hacks had to go but others on the team (e.g. Brash, Geier, Milstein) had more extensive history with the show and would've been helpful to Sheffer. Appointing his BFF Meg Kelly as co-HW instead of Beth was a particulary dumb move. As shown by his ATWT and Y&R tenures, Sheffer works best when he has a strong partner who's familiar with the show.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ponz
Apr 9 2009, 07:48 AM
DrewHamilton
Apr 8 2009, 11:44 PM
Ponz
Apr 8 2009, 07:34 PM
Sheffer replaced several veteran DAYS writers with his ATWT buddies so he's not blameless in this area.

And I don't blame him one bit. A lot of the DAYS writers Hogan got rid of were from Reilly's writing team and they were very amateurish. The writers that had to go probably didn't get Hogan's material well, and Hogan saw that his material wouldn't make it onto the screen the way he wanted it to with those writers. So he brought in his own crew, and I still saw no big problem in the writing. I would say Hogan's writing team gave more nods to the history of the show than any other writing team I have seen thus far, INCLUDING Brash and Cwickly.
Sheffer's "nods" to history were of the superficial "look, we've done our research!" variety. They were inserted into the scripts but seldom integrated into the stories in a meaningful way.

I agree that JER's hacks had to go but others on the team (e.g. Brash, Geier, Milstein) had more extensive history with the show and would've been helpful to Sheffer. Appointing his BFF Meg Kelly as co-HW instead of Beth was a particulary dumb move. As shown by his ATWT and Y&R tenures, Sheffer works best when he has a strong partner who's familiar with the show.
As much as I love Hogan and the writers he brought in, I have to agree with this.

Yes, you had to get rid of some of JER's writers but people like Brash, Geier, Cwickly, and Milstein should not have went. They would've helped immensely and they all were very talented. Hell, 3 out of the 4 ended up on other soaps with MIlstein landing on Y&R. Geier was one of the best scriptwriters Days had at the time. They all had a long history with the show and, with the exception of Geier (who I felt could've made a capable co-HW at the very least), had been head writers for the show at some point. I always felt it was unfair to Milstein to get rid of her after she held the fort for Hogan and did such a wonderful job in her short-term time as interim HW. I just never understood giving the co-HW job to someone else, especially someone with no history on the show. I'm a firm believe that if the HW is new to the show, he should have as many writers who know the show and have history on the show on staff as possible. Beth would've been great with Hogan. This is why when Higley came on as co-HW, I actually liked the idea. Higley has a long history on the show and I actually think she can be ok as a co-HW. I just think when she is in total control is when she fumbles.

I remember complaining about the history mentions during Hogan's tenure. It was one of the few things I hated. It got better around Fall 2007 as history was used more in story then just tossed out there but what Ponz says is otherwise true. History references came off as thrown in just to show that the writers were doing their research and that they knew this and knew that. It almost came off as a bit standoff-ish and showy or like they were doing it more to prove a point rather then to enhance the stories and make them work.

pnelsen

Well, after all is said and done, I'm glad the characters came back even if the stories weren't the best. I will always enjoy the acting of Mary Beth and Stephen. Steve and Kayla will always be my all time favorite soap characters. Should have, Could have....... it's all finished now. The characters can go to rest with Tony and Anna, and John and Marlena. Those were the "Days" and most people have moved on.
I'm looking forward to Mary Beth and Stephen's next adventures and am glad for the SOD interview.

ges
Member Avatar

Kenny
Apr 9 2009, 12:34 AM
PhoenixRising05
Apr 9 2009, 12:32 AM
Higley really gave Steve and Kayla what could've been a strong story with the Ava story but it got dropped and that is what I find so funny about SN's comments. He praises Higley for the Ava story yet he thinks getting rid of Ed Scott was a mistake. Ed Scott was the reason that story fell apart and the reason why Ava got tossed in with J&M., which led to SN and MBE complaining about how it all ended.
I think Stephen Nichols meant that Ed Scott's departure was a bad thing for the show. I don't think he was speaking in terms of just Steve and Kayla's story, but cast morale and the overall quality of the show when Ed was fired.
This just confirms what I have suspected since the return of Higley and especially since the firing of Ed Scott. To wit: Working for these nitwits must be a living hell. It is a tribute to their professionalism that they can even say their lines with a straight face. What a freaking mess they have made out of a great soap opera. I don't blame Rachel Melvin for leaving on her own. Why wait? And these assistant writers who don't know rthe history of the characters! Why should they when Higley doesn't bother. Everything tric\kles down from the top. Poor management. It is such a shame. :shame:

dorothyg
Member Avatar

I miss SN and MBE and I think also what he was trying to say was that when Ed Scott was fired, it was the end of Steve and Kayla. I think Higley should have been fired also which I think she was and Corday brought her back. They are doing a big disservice to Days by getting rid of the vets, who have through the years made Days what it is today.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Ed Scott was the reason that story fell apart and the reason why Ava got tossed in with J&M., which led to SN and MBE complaining about how it all ended. Right around the time the Ava stuff began to change rapidly (sorry but there is no way Joe Penny was only meant to be there a week) was around the time the show began to fall apart due to the backstage bullshit, which rightfully got Ed Scott fired.
I thought Joe Penny was only supposed to be short-term?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Apr 18 2009, 05:49 AM
PhoenixRising05
Ed Scott was the reason that story fell apart and the reason why Ava got tossed in with J&M., which led to SN and MBE complaining about how it all ended. Right around the time the Ava stuff began to change rapidly (sorry but there is no way Joe Penny was only meant to be there a week) was around the time the show began to fall apart due to the backstage bullshit, which rightfully got Ed Scott fired.
I thought Joe Penny was only supposed to be short-term?
He was but I don't think the run was supposed to be that limited.

He lasted less then two weeks. If it were meant to only last that long, I doubt they would've bothered to establish a connection with him and Kate and I doubt they would've built up to his arrival with the amount of attention they did. I mean, they dedicated a promo to this guy like he was the next Stefano Dimera. Something changed and that isn't much of a stretch since everything in May and June of last year was a jumbled mess because of all the behind the scenes BS.

IIttu
Member Avatar

Days has screwed up nearly every supercouple, it's so sad. I really loved S&K/M&S though I didn't see their first run. Hogan got now my full respect for doing research. Dena surely hasn't given any time for that... ...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ives
Member Avatar

Real life got busy but earlier I meant to put up some additional quotes from the interview:

Digest: Do you feel there were missed opportunities with your characters?

Stephen: "Yes, but isn't that always the case? Howver because the history of Patch and Kayla was so rich, I hoped there would be someone with a true vision for our return based on that history....Unfortunately, that was not to be. That was a big disappointment. When I returned we could see immediately how much the show itself and the way it was produced had deteriorated. Early on, a producer told Mary Beth and me that there would be no more second takes for acting. One day, I stood in the booth soon after that and watched two actors in a highly emotional scene do five takes because the producer thought he saw a boom shadow, which no one could identify. Five takes for a phantom boom shadow! If the acting had been off, they would have moved on. Another actor reported that this same producer had told him that he did not care so much about the acting and that the audience would understand enough about the story by simply hearing the words. Can you imagine? Yet the crew and any actor who cared about what they were doing felt a renewed energy and expressed that to us both. It turned out to be an uphill battle all the way."

Mary Beth: "I wished it could have gone in a different direction, but I wasn't really all that surprised...I thought that Stephen and I brought value to the show, and I certainly know there was a fan base, and I thought we brought things to the canvas that other people didn't, but it just didn't seem to matter when it all came down. They had to make their bottom line."

Digest: What will you do next?

Stephen
: I will be directing and acting in a beautiful series of One Acts written by my wife, Lisa Nichols, and directing another film.

Mary Beth: I'm a hustler by nature: I hit the ground running. I've been on some great auditions- I went out for a Gossip Girls spin-off and I got a new agent, things I haven't done in forever. I would love to go to Y&R, where Hogan is writing. I love Hogan Scheffer and As The World Turns was a great experience for me [as Sierra], I'd love to go back and hang out with those people. I met with a guy who wants to do a pie of the month club thing, and I'm going to sell my pies [marybethsapplepies.com] through Williams-Sonoma in the fall. I'm meeting with a Whole Foods distributor about other little pies I do. I'm a monthly contributor to hybridmom.com. I wrote a piece in the Spring issue of Hybrid Mom magazine. I feel very positive. I don't know what the next thing is. I would love to do another daytime show, but if not, then it will be something else. I just kind of feel unstoppable. I don't know what the future holds but I feel really happy and optimistic about it."

Fan-Tastic!!!

"The Fans have been so fantastic to us through the years" smiles Evans

Adds Nichols: "Since Mary Beth and I first appeared on Days and then on General Hospital, the fan support has not waned. For the past three years, our fans have worked so hard against very tough odds to support us and still have not stopped even after we left Days again. I for one know how much they have meant to my career as an actor and to my spirit when I do the work. Their intelligence and good humor has always given me a lift and I could not say anything without mentioning Linda Pidutti, Kathy Jarvis, Sherry McCutcheon and Sandra Mchale.
These ladies and the members of the Skorks, The Crystal Trees, and The Lakesiders have been the driving force behind both Mary Beth's and my army of fans. I am grateful to you all and I love you all very much"

Thanks to http://www.nicholsevansfans.com/daysexit09.html for the write-up.
Edited by Ives, May 4 2009, 01:03 AM.

Ives
Member Avatar

Ives
May 4 2009, 12:53 AM
Real life got busy but earlier I meant to put up some additional quotes from the interview:

Digest: Do you feel there were missed opportunities with your characters?

Stephen: "Yes, but isn't that always the case? Howver because the history of Patch and Kayla was so rich, I hoped there would be someone with a true vision for our return based on that history....Unfortunately, that was not to be. That was a big disappointment. When I returned we could see immediately how much the show itself and the way it was produced had deteriorated. Early on, a producer told Mary Beth and me that there would be no more second takes for acting. One day, I stood in the booth soon after that and watched two actors in a highly emotional scene do five takes because the producer thought he saw a boom shadow, which no one could identify. Five takes for a phantom boom shadow! If the acting had been off, they would have moved on. Another actor reported that this same producer had told him that he did not care so much about the acting and that the audience would understand enough about the story by simply hearing the words. Can you imagine? Yet the crew and any actor who cared about what they were doing felt a renewed energy and expressed that to us both. It turned out to be an uphill battle all the way."

Mary Beth: "I wished it could have gone in a different direction, but I wasn't really all that surprised...I thought that Stephen and I brought value to the show, and I certainly know there was a fan base, and I thought we brought things to the canvas that other people didn't, but it just didn't seem to matter when it all came down. They had to make their bottom line."

I put up this additional part of the artice because this was too crazy too read about.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply