Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soap Opera Ratings: 1950's-1970's
Topic Started: Jul 29 2007, 04:28 PM (679 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

From the November 1971 issue of 'Daytime TV'...

The Top 10 rated serials for the 1st 2 weeks of July 1971. Although the shows are presumably ranked according to their ratings, their respective ratings point isn't given, only their respective timeslot share.

#1 - As the World Turns (39% share)
#2 - The Edge of Night (35% share)
#3 - General Hospital (32% share)
#4 - Another World (32% share)
#5 - Days of our Lives (32% share)
#6 - The Doctors (32% share)
#7 - The Guiding Light (30% share)
#8 - Love is a Many Splendored Thing (28% share)
#9 - Search for Tomorrow (31% share)
#10 - Love of Life (32% share)

Other soaps on the air, but not ranked in the Top 10...
All My Children
One Life to Live
Bright Promise
Somerset
Where the Heart Is
The Secret Storm
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hardinglemaybjr
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 4 2009, 10:42 AM
From the November 1971 issue of 'Daytime TV'...

The Top 10 rated serials for the 1st 2 weeks of July 1971. Although the shows are presumably ranked according to their ratings, their respective ratings point isn't given, only their respective timeslot share.

#1 - As the World Turns (39% share)
#2 - The Edge of Night (35% share)
#3 - General Hospital (32% share)
#4 - Another World (32% share)
#5 - Days of our Lives (32% share)
#6 - The Doctors (32% share)
#7 - The Guiding Light (30% share)
#8 - Love is a Many Splendored Thing (28% share)
#9 - Search for Tomorrow (31% share)
#10 - Love of Life (32% share)

I've always been a ratings junkie. (Who knew that someday I'd actually be using Nielsens in my job?)
So, first up, thanks for posting these ratings. I LOVE seeing how the shows ranked each year and how they shifted thru the decades. I grew up watching Another World, which always seemed to be a perrenial loser in the ratings, but that was the late 70s and its slide had begun. It was a HOT show earlier in the decade. Personally, I think moving to 90 minutes almost killed it.

My God...look at those time period shares in 1971. Mid 30s. Of course, that's when there were only four stations in a city. Isn't it crazy though to know our soaps today get shares in the single digits? TV has become so splintered, if not for these internet forums, we'd never find someone else who watches the shows we watch!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

From the April 1983 issue of DAYTIME TV. Unfortunately, the exact dates covered by these ratings aren't given, but they're stated as being the latest at the time of publication. The first number after the show name is the rating, the 2nd number is the % share of the audience during that time slot.

#1 - General Hospital (9.1 - 31%)
#2 - All My Children (8.9 - 31%)
#3 - The Young & the Restless (8.3 - 33%)
#4 - As the World Turns (8.1 - 28%)
#5 - One Life to Live (7.6 - 28%)
#6 - Guiding Light (7.5 - 25%)
#7 - Capitol (6.1 - 23%)
#8 - Days of our Lives (5.3 - 18%)
#9 - Ryan's Hope (5.1 - 20%)
#10 - Another World (4.6 - 17%)
#11 - The Edge of Night (3.5 - 11%)
#12 - Search for Tomorrow (2.5 - 10%)

Gina
Member Avatar

Thank you for posting these. I started watching Days of Our Lives in 1970. I see from that time and up through many years, it was extremely popular. I was a constant fan....and still am.Even though the writer's aren't doing nearly as well in their writing now. I'm still hanging in there hoping for the best.

james0479
Member Avatar

WOW....Now, this is the coolest shit ever!! It's so neat seeing how many people watched soooo many soaps in the 60's and 70's. I wish it was still like that today. Search For Tomorrow must have been a cool show, it did so well for so long. I'm too young and never got the chance to check that out. It's always interesting how the only show I watch, DAYS, started off so low and soared up to near the top of the charts.....just to drift back down again. I've seen that myself over the years. lol I'm interested in seeing the ratings for the early and mid 80's. Anyway, this was an awesome study. Thanks alot for posting!!

james0479
Member Avatar

Also....this may sound silly....but I LOVE reading the names of all the soaps that have been on the air. There's some good ones and some funny ones to me....but it's just so interesting. I'm a ratings junkie too and I love the history of soaps. Thanks again for posting!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply