Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Casting Tidbit
Topic Started: Apr 19 2009, 02:37 PM (2,144 Views)
Ellie

Roy Vongtama Joins the Cast of Days of Our Lives.

Posted Image

http://blog.soapoperafan.com/2009/04/roy-vongtama-joins-the-cast-of-days-of-our-lives/

Salem is about to add yet another doctor to help ease the burden of their overworked hospital staff.

Roy Vongtama will be making his debut this spring when he comes to Days to play Dr. Richman. You can expect him to make his first appearances on April 20 and April 21.The Buffalo New York native actually began his career as a doctor. After earning a medical degree at the University of Buffalo, he did a residency at UCLA and is now board certified in radiation oncology.

You’d think a doctor wouldn’t have time to pursue an acting career but that hasn’t stopped Vongtama. He’s already worked on the big screen along such heavyweights as Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in “The Bucket List.” You may have also seen him on Primetime series like “24” and “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.” The actor also has one soap role under his belt. He played Dr. Boyd on “General Hospital: Night Shift.”

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Implosion

I am happy that they are diversifying the ethnicity of their cast....but honestly...uhhhh Salem Hospital is busy....since when?
Imp

Chelikins
Member Avatar

Hey at least it is someone that Dr. Dan will not sleep with! ;-)

jane1978

I read somewhere there was some casting going on for a guy and he read the lines opposite Melanie. This actor looks the right age, older than Will/Mia and younger than Phillip/Brady, so I would guess he is the one.

Btw, doktor Richman??? Good one TPTB. With name like that I´m willing to bet the character will be freshman just from university, totally poor and with debts everywhere.

leah09
Member Avatar

jane1978
Apr 19 2009, 06:15 PM
I read somewhere there was some casting going on for a guy and he read the lines opposite Melanie. This actor looks the right age, older than Will/Mia and younger than Phillip/Brady, so I would guess he is the one.

Btw, doktor Richman??? Good one TPTB. With name like that I´m willing to bet the character will be freshman just from university, totally poor and with debts everywhere.
I think you're right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbc2zb07raQ

Here's another actor auditioning.
This scene is with Melanie's character.

LovingDays

His audition for an other role or the same as the asian or what
Edited by LovingDays, Apr 19 2009, 07:38 PM.

leah09
Member Avatar

LovingDays
Apr 19 2009, 07:38 PM
His audition for an other role or the same as the asian or what
No, the same roll as the asian Dr.

samixxx
Member Avatar

Radiation oncology and Melanie? Could Stefano's diagnosis of diabetes be wrong?

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Chelikins
Apr 19 2009, 03:41 PM
Unless he gets sick. ;)

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Good! Some diversity on this show will be fucking nice for a change!

Hope he can act :)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Good move IMO.

First off, glad they are adding diversity. I also do think another doctor is needed. I only wish they would bring on someone as a nurse that would end up being a major character because I think that would be nice.

I have to admit at first read I didn't think this part was anything more then a role for a few episodes because the way it reads comes off as him only appearing for a few episodes but, based on what Jane and leah alluded to, I'm guessing it's more substantial. We'll see. The guy is from Buffalo, which is very close to where I live so I'm rooting for him LOL.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 20 2009, 12:59 AM.

Bradyclan

Good to see some diversity. Let's just hope he's not intended for Melanie if he's more than a reccuring player.

jane1978

leah09
Apr 19 2009, 06:29 PM
jane1978
Apr 19 2009, 06:15 PM

I think you're right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbc2zb07raQ

Here's another actor auditioning.
This scene is with Melanie's character.
Thanks. But now seeing it this "Nathan" part probably isn´t the Dr. Richman unless the script the actor reads is completely fictional.

Anyway, assuming it´s true there were a lot of interesting information in it. First, seems TPTB will fullfill wish of many here and they plan to bring some Horton back. The Nathan character seems to be a perfect Horton o him falling for Melanie, the worst girl in Salem makes a perfect soapy sense and promises a lot of conflict.

Another thing, apparently Mel will be Phillip´s girlfriend at the time, for some yet unknown reason. I think that´s where the triangle wil heat up as promissed. It´s probably some Phillip´s scheme how to protect Steph as the writing for them is getting stronger and stronger and after seeing friday and today I have no doubt Tomlin wants them to be another big DAYS couple. Having to slit but still stay in love with each other is right from DAYS couple writing 101.

My last comment, it was weird to hear all the Melanisque lines but without all the energy and personality Molly is able to infuse into the character. It really shows why she got the part.

ilovemydays

Q&A with actor Roy Vongtama
http://www.examiner.com/x-4211-SF-Asian-American-Film-Examiner~y2009m4d17-QA-with-actor-Roy-Vongtama

Born in Buffalo, New York, Roy Vongtama began pursuing a career not as an actor, but as a doctor.

In addition to earning his medical degree from the University of Buffalo with residency at UCLA in Los Angeles, he is board certified in radiation oncology, and completed undergraduate work at the University of Pennsylvania where he received a degree in Biological Basis of Behavior, with an emphasis on depression.

But it was acting that led to his working with veteran actors such as Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in The Bucket List, as well as a recurring role on the daytime soap Days of Our Lives.

He's currently writing a book about the business of acting and has formed a non-profit organization for artists called Actors Helping Actors, which is devoted to helping improve healthcare for low-income actors, who often cannot afford proper health insurance.

First off, not only are you an actor, but you're a Board Certified Radiation Oncologist. What inspired you to pursue a career in entertainment after earning a degree in medicine?

Great question. I started acting in 2001 taking an intro class at the Walnut Street Theater in Philadelphia PA. After giving a try at a monologue, the instructor asked me what I did during the day, and I told him I was a doctor, and he said, "maybe you should stick to that?" (laughing) I took it as a challenge and kept coming back. So in the beginning it was simply that I was competitive. Yet, as I've learned, as time goes on the motivations for my behavior turn out to be more complex, and truths are revealed. Looking at it now, I started to really find myself within acting, becoming freer and happier, something that I think was lost somewhere along the line. So as I have moved forward and have been working more and more on the craft, not coincidentally it has been working on me. As long as that remains true and I keep feeling that passion inside of me for it, I'll keep going.

How have you managed to juggle two careers? What are the challenges?

Juggling two careers has been interesting -- I've found it's about listening to myself, planning and managing the relationships in both fields. I've found that the world will tell you that you need to choose between things, your family OR yourself, what you love OR what you need, etc, but in my reality, you can do both. As my friend Dr. Andrew Mayer calls it, the genius of AND rather than the tyranny of OR. The challenges? Dealing with other people's perceptions. As an actor, people like to assume that it's my hobby and I have to quickly correct them on that, because I am very serious about it. As a doctor, the perception is that I don't know my stuff because I don't do it full time. Also a big challenge honestly is enjoying my life in a moment to moment way, especially when tests are set before me. I read an interview with Michael J. Fox yesterday (who has Parkinson's) and I love what he said: "Don't wish for smaller problems, wish for bigger shoulders."

Roy Vongtama

What did your parents think of you becoming an actor?

Man, great question again. I think most Asian American first generation kids will understand this story: When I got done with residency training, I got offered a movie role (The Wrath) starting the week after I finished my training. That's also when I was supposed to start working as a doctor in the real world. I realized I couldn't do both. When my mom called to find out when I would start working (as a doctor) , I told her, "Well, the movie starts in a few weeks." (laughing) She didn't speak to me for a while. It transitioned into criticism and now it has come to the point of silence about acting, which is a big change for her. So I am at peace with it. My dad has always supported my dreams, with a typical condition: "You can do whatever you want -- as long as you finish med school and finish residency." (laughing) Now my dad is getting more verbally supportive and trying to understand why I don't book every audition I go in for, like I did in sixth grade taking math tests. "Dad, in acting 15% is actually good."

How did you get your first big break in Hollywood?

I had an audition for a great lady named Felicia Fasano who was the casting director for a show called Windfall on NBC (since canceled). My agent at the time told her I was SAG, which I wasn't, so they booked me on the show. My manager called me and told me of the lie and that the production would have to pay a penalty to use me, so what should we do? I said to tell them the truth, because I didn't want the casting director to get in trouble because of me. He told me that I would probably lose the role. Of course I was bummed because it would have been my first SAG job and it would have gotten me into the union. For some reason, I knew that being true to myself was the best (and in this case hardest) choice. Then we found out that Felicia had pushed for me to still get the role, and they agreed! I got the role! As Mark Twain said, "When in doubt, tell the truth."

Do you find typecasting or stereotyping to be a limitation to your career?

I will answer that this way -- I think a breakout role has yet to come along for me, as I see myself as a leading man. To be Asian, really be a doctor, and have this as a goal, I really have to believe it to be truth. Which I do. For the doubters, I just point and say look who is running our country. Also, from a business perspective, international sales are at least 50% of the take in feature film revenue nowadays and the industry is forced to consider Asian talent in their decisions more and more, especially with Asians being over 60% of the world's population. Personally, I have found that the best way to do this is to be prepared for when opportunities are at my doorstep. To that end I'm training with a great coach, have a great manager and a great girlfriend, all three who believe in me.

You've worked with some major stars including Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. What kinds of advice or tips have you gotten from working with them?

I have had the opportunity to work with so many great actors already, and from each of them I have learned something different. From Jack Nicholson, I learned that preparation is the key to success, even at that level. He makes it look easy because even at 70 years of age, he literally lost sleep the night before because he was so concerned about making it right on set the next day. That's why he has 12 Oscar nominations and three wins. From Morgan Freeman, I learned perseverance, humility and respect for the craft. There's so much I can tell you about him, but the main thing is he approaches life from such a grateful perspective that it literally stopped me in my tracks. This man was so generous as to give me an interview for a book I am writing on the business of acting, right in the middle of his day during off time in the production of the Bucket List. The book is going to benefit actors knowledge wise and also help with an organization that I started to increase awareness for health care for artists, (www.actorshelpingactors.org) so he found it a great way to give back. How awesome is that?

Do you have any words of wisdom you'd like to share with other aspiring actors?

Always (laughing). Being a doctor I like to give advice but from my girlfriend I've found to only give it when asked. Since you asked, here it is: (1) There is always room for improvement. Look to improve yourself as an actor, from two perspectives: from a technique and also an emotional perspective. Find someone who can help you be focused, real and specific in auditions. Find someone who can teach you a way to access your emotional depth in response to situations -- find someone who can help you take that journey quickly. There isn't much time between the waiting room and the audition and neither is there much time on a set especially in TV. (2) Submit online and go to every audition you get. There is no substitute for experience. You'll meet other actors, you'll meet casting people, directors, directors of the future, and also refine your technique. After booking at the level that you are at, you'll know when and what to submit for, and also be compiling material for (3) Getting a great reel. Put on your reel the work you've done and also the work you would like to do. Make it easy for casting people to see the talent you have. There are a lot of companies for a few hundred dollars will shoot professionally done scenes and even edit them for you. That way you can: (4) Get great representation that can help on two levels: Where you are and where you need to go. You need to get access to the auditions to have any chance at making a career out of acting. By doing #1 #2 and #3, #4 will come and so will #5 which is: Slow down and enjoy the process!

What's next for you?

I'm looking for a new agent that can move me forward, producing a short film called Juche Rules (based on an award winning play by Mark Niu), as well as working on my own writing -- I have two features in development that will be produced at some point. One definite thing I can tell you: I have a recurring role on Days of Our Lives starting April 21 and 22nd on NBC. If readers are interested, they can certainly check out www.RoyV.com for more current things.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I presume, this role is nothing.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I figured as much. The only reason I thought it may be something is because they were casting a new guy named " Nathan" but, after watching the audition footage, it's clearly not the same guy.

As Jane said, it seems whoever this "Nathan" is will be a Horton. The audition scripts usually aren't what you end up seeing on screen but usually the particulars in the script that pertain to the character being auditioned for are right on. Assuming that is the case, I'm going to guess "Nathan" is Jeremy Horton. There is a smugness that is very in keeping with how Jeremy was in 2007 and I think he would be the perfect fit in the Melanie/Philip/Stephanie circle since he had a relationship with Stephanie already. We'll see but I hope it's true. More Horton's are needed and I'm all for his return. I also like the idea of Melanie as a nurse, if that ends up happening. The show could use one.

Bradyclan

Melanie a nurse at 18?? LMAO.

I agree that more Horton's are needed. Jeremy would be a nice addition and Nick needs to come back from jail...

Shasta

Chelikins
Can you be so sure of that? LOL!

Implosion

Shasta
Apr 20 2009, 07:00 PM
Chelikins
Can you be so sure of that? LOL!
Hilarious!!! I love it!!!
Great post...have not chuckled like that in a while.
Imp

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

OK, he mentions his Great Grandfather and the family name; for sure, he's a Horton. Makes me very happy :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply