Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Gordon Thomson to play Owen's father
Topic Started: Apr 21 2009, 01:10 PM (3,672 Views)
EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

He would be perfect for Kate!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

From SOD:

http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

DAYS Casting News

Look for soap vet Gordon Thomson (ex-AJ, BEACH; ex-Mason, SB; ex-Adam, DYNASTY et al) to make his DAYS debut on May 18 as Owen's (Wes Ramsey) dad, Walter Kent. "Gordon's a wonderful gentleman," raves Ramsey. As for their alter egos, he says, "It seems like they have an interesting relationship. I think Owen seeks his approval."

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

So Owen finally gets a last name. Kent. Owen Kent. I like it.

Ellie

You know what... does anyone remember that Seinfeld about sports teams, where he talked about 'you're really rooting for the laundry'? His point was that if someone's a fan of a certain team for a number of years, the entire team turns over and none of the players are the same, yet you still root for the team. That's what all of these casting spoilers for Days remind me of. There seems to be an influx of newbies lately, and on top of the other new characters, it just seems like a completely different show.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Apr 24 2009, 02:53 PM
You know what... does anyone remember that Seinfeld about sports teams, where he talked about 'you're really rooting for the laundry'? His point was that if someone's a fan of a certain team for a number of years, the entire team turns over and none of the players are the same, yet you still root for the team. That's what all of these casting spoilers for Days remind me of. There seems to be an influx of newbies lately, and on top of the other new characters, it just seems like a completely different show.
Absolutely. The show is unrecognizable to me, and I can't fathom continuing to watch just because it has the title "Days of Our Lives" attached.

King
Member Avatar

Who the hell is Owen? God, has it been that long since I watched this show? LOL.

I love GT though.

Kenny
Member Avatar

King
Apr 24 2009, 03:11 PM
Who the hell is Owen? God, has it been that long since I watched this show? LOL.

I love GT though.
Wes Ramsey's character. He plays a gardener or some shit.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

King

I love GT though.
Owen is the character Wes Ramsey plays. Owen is the Kiriakis gardner, who is secretly working for Stefano and giving Stefano information on Victor's next moves.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Kenny
Apr 24 2009, 03:12 PM
King

I love GT though.
Wes Ramsey's character. He plays a gardener or some shit.
That begs another question: Who the fuck is Wes Ramsey and why did Days have an orgasm over casting him?

Kenny
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Apr 24 2009, 03:17 PM
That begs another question: Who the fuck is Wes Ramsey and why did Days have an orgasm over casting him?
LoL! Well, I liked him alot on GL. Too bad I'm not willing to watch Days just to see him.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King

I love GT though.
King, you better catch up.

The show has been AMAZING!!

Drew explained it well. We haven't really seen Owen yet. We just see his mouth and chin (classic JER LOL) and he basically is just spying on the Kiriakis family for Stefano.

I love Thomson so I look forward to this. I hope it ends up being a bigger role although I'm not 100% on board with already exploring Owen's history and family situation so early on but I guess they feel he is going to be a big character.

I still don't understand the unrecognizable argument when the show is still being led by familiar faces. .Sami, Lucas, Nicole, Stephanie, EJ, Philip, Chloe, Kate, Victor, Stefano, etc with Maggie, Bo, and Hope seeing good amounts of airtime is quite the familiar canvas IMO. I can understand if you don't like or care about the bulk of those characters but I don't understand the unrecognizable argument anymore now then I did when people made the same case in 2007 with Hogan. There aren't that many newbies. Basically, the only new characters recently brought on have been Mia, Arianna (who we barely see), and now Owen (who again, we have barely seen yet). Everyone else that has been brought on has been short-term or recurring, like in Thomson's case. Even Mia's baby's father is probably going to be short-term. Melanie's new love interest will be long-term but still brings the total of long-term new characters to 4 (and that is if you include Rafe who has been on since October).

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Apr 24 2009, 03:23 PM
I still don't understand the unrecognizable argument when the show is still being led by familiar faces. .Sami, Lucas, Nicole, Stephanie, EJ, Philip, Chloe, Kate, Victor, Stefano, etc with Maggie, Bo, and Hope seeing good amounts of airtime is quite the familiar canvas IMO.
It just doesn't feel like Days.

Stephanie sucks, I've never liked Phillip, Chloe annoys me, Stefano is no good without John/Marlena, Bo and Hope are written terribly, and EJ is still fairly new in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know... I just don't like the show anymore. It doesn't feel like Days to me. John and Marlena's exit has left a huge gaping hole in the show. The writing is weird. Will we ever see the Horton house again?

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
I still don't understand the unrecognizable argument when the show is still being led by familiar faces. .Sami, Lucas, Nicole, Stephanie, EJ, Philip, Chloe, Kate, Victor, Stefano, etc with Maggie, Bo, and Hope seeing good amounts of airtime is quite the familiar canvas IMO. I can understand if you don't like or care about the bulk of those characters but I don't understand the unrecognizable argument anymore now then I did when people made the same case in 2007 with Hogan. There aren't that many newbies. Basically, the only new characters recently brought on have been Mia, Arianna (who we barely see), and now Owen (who again, we have barely seen yet). Everyone else that has been brought on has been short-term or recurring, like in Thomson's case. Even Mia's baby's father is probably going to be short-term. Melanie's new love interest will be long-term but still brings the total of long-term new characters to 4 (and that is if you include Rafe who has been on since October).
Unless you have some info some of us don't, I don't think we can guess who's going to be temporary and who's going to be permanent. But either way, these are the people who will be on Days in the near future, whether or not they'll be on a month after that. We have:

Arianna
Owen
Owen's father
Mia's baby's father
Melanie's love interest
Rafe
Mia
Dr. Baker
Dr. Richman
Father Matt
The nuns (I forget their names lol)

Imo, it's a lot of new characters at once, and combined with the fact that more familiar faces will be exiting (RM, DB), it seems to me that the cast is turning over.

When I read the spoilers, it sounds like a different show. I love King's post (above) asking how long has it been since he tuned in... that's exactly my point! With spoilers like this, it could have been two days.

Ellie

Kenny
Apr 24 2009, 03:36 PM
Will we ever see the Horton house again?
Doubtful. Maybe Christmas, or they'll do what they did with Marlena's apartment and just have someone else move in there.

I think it's so interesting that in most of these 'casting tidbits' threads, there are always posts saying things like, "Maybe it's Eric Brady", or, "Maybe it's Jeremy Horton". I think this shows us that people want to see familiar characters! lol you don't see too many posts like, "Great, someone new and interesting!" I know some people here think that, but imo the general sentiment seems to sway more towards wanting the show to bring back known characters.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

OMG..how good would it be if GT's character would date Kate!!! HOTT!!!
Liz

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Apr 24 2009, 03:36 PM
PhoenixRising05
I still don't understand the unrecognizable argument when the show is still being led by familiar faces. .Sami, Lucas, Nicole, Stephanie, EJ, Philip, Chloe, Kate, Victor, Stefano, etc with Maggie, Bo, and Hope seeing good amounts of airtime is quite the familiar canvas IMO.
It just doesn't feel like Days.

Stephanie sucks, I've never liked Phillip, Chloe annoys me, Stefano is no good without John/Marlena, Bo and Hope are written terribly, and EJ is still fairly new in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know... I just don't like the show anymore. It doesn't feel like Days to me. John and Marlena's exit has left a huge gaping hole in the show. The writing is weird. Will we ever see the Horton house again?
Well, the Horton house has only been pulled out for Christmas for years. Ever since Frances was not able to appear as much, if at all, this has been happening. If she was able, I'm sure we would see it more.

What you said just fell in line with what I was saying. You just don't care for the characters who are in focus and I can understand that completely. That makes more sense to me then the show being declared unrecognizable.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Apr 24 2009, 03:45 PM
What you said just fell in line with what I was saying. You just don't care for the characters who are in focus and I can understand that completely. That makes more sense to me then the show being declared unrecognizable.
But it is. It's unrecognizable to me, LoL.

Are there characters there who've been on the show for years? Yes. But like Ellie said, when I read the spoilers, it's like, "Wow... what show is this?" It doesn't sound like Days. Some of the recognizable characters are there, but they all seem so different. Chloe is different. Kate is all over the place. Phillip is different. Stefano is different. Bo and Hope get nothing but garbage. I read the spoilers and keep wondering where the hell John, Marlena, Shawn, Belle, Jack and Jennifer are. The show in general just has a completely different feel. It doesn't feel like Days is about the Brady's and the Hortons anymore. It's like a show with a bunch of random characters and a couple of strangely written Brady's tossed in for good measure, LoL. I don't like it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Apr 24 2009, 03:39 PM
PhoenixRising05
Unless you have some info some of us don't, I don't think we can guess who's going to be temporary and who's going to be permanent. But either way, these are the people who will be on Days in the near future, whether or not they'll be on a month after that. We have:

Arianna
Owen
Owen's father
Mia's baby's father
Melanie's love interest
Rafe
Mia
Dr. Baker
Father Matt
The nuns (I forget their names lol)

Imo, it's a lot of new characters at once, and combined with the fact that more familiar faces will be exiting (RM, DB), it seems to me that the cast is turning over.

When I read the spoilers, it sounds like a different show. I love King's post (above) asking how long has it been since he tuned in... that's exactly my point! With spoilers like this, it could have been two days.
I don't have anymore info then you all do but sometimes you can tell with a character based on who they are.

Mia's baby's father is going to be nothing more then a plot point. Why else would they keep him around? Who else will he interact with? The show has enough males to go around. Unless they cast him with a known, popular actor, then I don't see the character sticking around. If they bring in a familar actor, then maybe I will be inclined to believe they may keep him around.

Melanie's love interest seems like he will be a Horton and, yes, that will be a long-term character because of that. As I said, based on who the character is and who they are connected to, you can determine usually if they will stick around or not.

I can't believe you counted Fr. Matt and the nuns involved in Sami's story LOL. We barely see them. They aren't pivotal characters. The nus played a role in the Sami/Rafe story and with Arianna around and them no longer appearing in spoilers, I think we probably have seen the last of them. It does matter how long these people stay on or how much there on because if they are barely on or are short-term/recurring, the argument can not be made that they are being forced on people. There is a difference between new characters hogging a show and new characters simply being introduced to the canvas both as long-term characters and characters brought on to serve some purpose who then leave. Many of the characters on that list are characters with a purpose who will most likely be gone, if they aren't already, once the story they are involved in comes to an end. The nuns will be gone or already are. I already explained the situation with Mia's father. Fr. Matt is just fulfilling the priest role on the show, just like Fr, Jansen over the years. Only difference is Fr. Matt is played by a better, more known actor. Owen's father is said to be short-term or, at most recurring.

The cast has already turned over so this isn't some new bit of news. The minute they fired Drake and Deidre, it was clear Days was entering a new era. Not everyone is going to like it. The show has been down this road before. I still think it's Days, just like I have through all the major cast transitions. It's just different and, yes, in many ways it is a new show. I get people thinking it's not Days or not liking it because of that and the writing. I just don't get the argument that the show is being dominated and overrun with new characters. They have brought many new faces on but there aren't that many in major, long-term roles. If there were, I could buy that argument but that is not the case, no more then it was in 2007 when many were making the same arguments.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Apr 24 2009, 03:55 PM
PhoenixRising05
Apr 24 2009, 03:45 PM
But it is. It's unrecognizable to me, LoL.

Are there characters there who've been on the show for years? Yes. But like Ellie said, when I read the spoilers, it's like, "Wow... what show is this?" It doesn't sound like Days. Some of the recognizable characters are there, but they all seem so different. Chloe is different. Kate is all over the place. Phillip is different. Stefano is different. Bo and Hope get nothing but garbage. I read the spoilers and keep wondering where the hell John, Marlena, Shawn, Belle, Jack and Jennifer are. The show in general just has a completely different feel. It doesn't feel like Days is about the Brady's and the Hortons anymore. It's like a show with a bunch of random characters and a couple of strangely written Brady's tossed in for good measure, LoL. I don't like it.
When you put it like that, I understand what your saying. I disagree (as usual) but I understand it.

esp13
Member Avatar

While I'm thoroughly enjoying the show these days, I agree that it doesn't feel like the same show. Although given the crapfest it was most of last year and large parts of 2007, that's a good thing actually. I've accepted that it's never going to be like it was in time period I loved the most and I've accepted that the characters I loved the most are gone and aren't coming back. Given my lack of trust in the current team to respect anything about those characters and their history, I'm actually pretty much okay with that.

The show is what it is now. Some of us are finding it enjoyable, some will never accept it. It is as it ever was. I would imagine that you could find a bunch of folks who were supercouple era fans who said the same thing with JER arrived. In fact, I know where you can find one of them for sure. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply