Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Gordon Thomson to play Owen's father
Topic Started: Apr 21 2009, 01:10 PM (3,660 Views)
lazydazes
Member Avatar

Quote:

Arianna
Owen
Owen's father
Mia's baby's father
Melanie's love interest
Rafe
Mia
Dr. Baker
Dr. Richman
Father Matt
The nuns (I forget their names lol)

Out of this list, Rafe is the only one I would consider a main character. Mia was brought on the beef up the teen scene seeing that Will has no one to interact with in his age range. Everyone else on the list are day players or only serve the plot and are not main characters. I can certainly understand being down because a lot of the show's favorites are gone. I bawled like a baby when Jack/Jenn and Shane/Kim departed who were my ultimate DAYS faves. But, I'm enjoying the show. Even some of these newbies like Rafe. I must admit I can't wait to see what is in store for Owen's character. And I absolutely adore Gordon Thompson. This guy is at the top of his game. Kate just may meet her match in this one. I can actually see Kate with him. Maybe this will get her some action other than being in her kids' storylines all the time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Apr 24 2009, 03:57 PM
The cast has already turned over so this isn't some new bit of news.
Then it sounds like we're agreeing to some extent, lol. And I'd like to point one thing out - the reason I brought this up has nothing to do with the fact that my favorites are no longer on the show. It has to do with the fact that in the past two weeks, we've seen no less than 5 or 6 casting spoilers for new characters. That's why I mentioned it in this thread. Each time I see a new casting spoiler, I think, NO, not another one! And, Tim, I thought the same thing in 07 when my favorites were still on the show - though it sounds from what you're saying like we would have disagreed then too.

I understand your point about secondary vs. primary characters, but I do think that Dena and this team include more secondary characters and write them in a more significant way than JER's team did. Father Jansen was a secondary character who played a large role - but were there six others like him at the same time? I feel like the cast now is cluttered with these types of characters, as opposed to in the 90's when the main characters drove the story.

King
Member Avatar

Am I supposed to know who Wes Ramsey is? LOL.

leah09
Member Avatar

King
Apr 24 2009, 05:17 PM
LOL

I never knew who he was either until I was reading SOD and then gave it to a friend at work. She was elated and told me he was on Charmed and she adored him. Hell, she even named her son Wyatt in honor of him.

King - I adore your Janie and the "friendship :puke: " av. :rockon:

Kenny
Member Avatar

King
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

It all depends on when you started watching the show. Unlike a movie or a book, which has a beginning and an end, it's almost impossible to keep the same tone for a show that's been on as long as DAYS. For all the people who think the show is unrecognizable now, how do you think viewers who started with the show felt when DAYS became so youth oriented in the 80s? Or how people who started during that era, completely hated the JER years. Do a google search lol

oldschoolfan

I am enjoying the show right now, much more than in the previous year and a half. I do think that there are a lot of newbies and the show has changed tremendously. I guess my main problem is that they show the same characters for 4, sometimes 5 days in a row and then you don't see them for another 4 or 5 days. I wish it would flow better in that respect. Perhaps they are setting it up to air on a cable network when the current contract with NBC is up. Just a thought.

peaches179

Kenny
Apr 24 2009, 03:36 PM
PhoenixRising05
Apr 24 2009, 03:23 PM
I still don't understand the unrecognizable argument when the show is still being led by familiar faces. .Sami, Lucas, Nicole, Stephanie, EJ, Philip, Chloe, Kate, Victor, Stefano, etc with Maggie, Bo, and Hope seeing good amounts of airtime is quite the familiar canvas IMO.
It just doesn't feel like Days.

Stephanie sucks, I've never liked Phillip, Chloe annoys me, Stefano is no good without John/Marlena, Bo and Hope are written terribly, and EJ is still fairly new in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know... I just don't like the show anymore. It doesn't feel like Days to me. John and Marlena's exit has left a huge gaping hole in the show. The writing is weird. Will we ever see the Horton house again?

ITA!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

esp13
Apr 24 2009, 04:14 PM
While I'm thoroughly enjoying the show these days, I agree that it doesn't feel like the same show. Although given the crapfest it was most of last year and large parts of 2007, that's a good thing actually. I've accepted that it's never going to be like it was in time period I loved the most and I've accepted that the characters I loved the most are gone and aren't coming back. Given my lack of trust in the current team to respect anything about those characters and their history, I'm actually pretty much okay with that.

The show is what it is now. Some of us are finding it enjoyable, some will never accept it. It is as it ever was. I would imagine that you could find a bunch of folks who were supercouple era fans who said the same thing with JER arrived. In fact, I know where you can find one of them for sure. :)
FANTASTIC POST!!

You hit the nail right on the head for me.

The way some people in this thread are feeling is the same way I and others felt in the early 80's, late 80's, and then early 90's. I just decided to let it go because if I, personally, continued to live in the past, I could never enjoy anything. Times change. People change. Shows change. It happens. For soaps, it has to happen because they are continuous. Not everyone can just accept that and not everyone will like it but that is fine and I think the show knows that. They know they will lose fans but the hope is that they will bring in new fans and perhaps bring in some general fans as well, just like they did in the 80's and 90's. This isn't just regarding Days either but many soaps as well.

Days and other soaps have been through major cast transitions before. It happens and you can't just ride on the coattails of the same characters and couples over and over, especially when Days could only do so much with them that was deemed acceptable by SOME fans and fanbases. Days waited far too long to let go of the past. They stuck with the same characters and couples easily an extra five years (AT LEAST) longer then they should have IMO. I would've loved to have a stronger writing team behind this transition but I don't feel this writing team is that bad either and they do know what will draw in an audience. Sadly, what seems to work to bring in the numbers is not what should work but, alas, it does. My point is was Days really supposed to continue on letting the same characters lead the show that have led it since the early 80's? When does it stop? Y&R is a different show. It's all about the stories and the drama. It can do pretty much whatever the hell it wants with it's characters so the limitations are nowhere close like they are for a show like Days. If Days were in Y&R's situation, I seriously doubt there would've been half the problems Days has had and we would still have J&M, Steve and Kayla, etc around. Days doesn't work that way so the best thing is to infuse the show with a new life and energy and the only way to do that is to bring the next generation to the forefront, which does include new characters too. The Johnson family was new in the 80's, as were the Brady's. The Dimera's were new too. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I've given up expecting to get what I used to get. Y&R is the best soap on the air right now but even that show is nowhere close to what it used to be. Most of primetime is shit in terms of quality. Films are shit too with Hollywood remaking every damn thing it can. One thing I've learned is with age, you tend to view everything as lesser then it used to be. That is not to say that things are as good as they used to be but that seems to be the case. How often do you see your parents or grandparents long for the past and the way things were when they were younger? I find myself feeling the same way and IMO this is very much like that. We all want things the way they used to be but that can't happen. Change sucks and is difficult but it has to happen. I, personally, just want to be entertained by the soaps and other shows I watch. Others have higher standards and are a little more stringent and they are entitled. I don't think anyone is wrong in how they feel. It's just a tough situation because it would be great if everyone could be happy but, then again, then there wouldn't be anything to talk about LOL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Well, honestly, even if you were watching, you wouldn't.

He's only been on 3 times and all 3 times he has been on the phone with Stefano and only his chin and mouth have been seen. We don't know who he is and his face is not shown until May so no one really knows who he is yet other then what we know from spoilers and news posts.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mikegoldy
Apr 24 2009, 06:55 PM
It all depends on when you started watching the show. Unlike a movie or a book, which has a beginning and an end, it's almost impossible to keep the same tone for a show that's been on as long as DAYS. For all the people who think the show is unrecognizable now, how do you think viewers who started with the show felt when DAYS became so youth oriented in the 80s? Or how people who started during that era, completely hated the JER years. Do a google search lol
Another great post. I agree.

There will never be any resolve on this issue. This era is going to be looked at just like the 80's and 90's. You had many that loved those eras and many who hated them, with very few that fell in between. This new era for Days will be looked at the exact same way IMO.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I don't see the problem, most of these casting tidbits/calls/whatever are for dayplayers and short-term characters.

lastDays
Member Avatar

dorothyg
Apr 21 2009, 04:42 PM
Grrrrr...they keep adding new people, and cutting all the vets. I remember Gordon Thompson from Dynasty...he must be ancient by now. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Thanks for posting, Angie
I don't understand why they are dding new characters that mean nothing to the core families of Salem when supposed cost cutting led to the firing of beloved vets.N wonder Days is over and out next year :drunk:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lastDays
Apr 28 2009, 01:00 PM
dorothyg
Apr 21 2009, 04:42 PM
Grrrrr...they keep adding new people, and cutting all the vets. I remember Gordon Thompson from Dynasty...he must be ancient by now. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Thanks for posting, Angie
I don't understand why they are dding new characters that mean nothing to the core families of Salem when supposed cost cutting led to the firing of beloved vets.N wonder Days is over and out next year :drunk:
First off. the vets cost more then any young actors or new actors they bring in, unless you are bringing in a high priced veteran actor for a long-term run. In regards to Thomson, he's either going to be here for a few episodes or likely on a recurring basis so this will not cost them anywhere near as much as Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, etc. The show went through this in the 80's and 90's. It's not a new process. If you want to argue it was handled better in the past, I can agree with that to an extent but it has been done before.

Having said that, I still don't see where they are going nuts with bringing people in. Sure, they have gradually but many have been short-term and those that are long-term have been introduced slowly. They are also bringing a young Horton doctor on in the future as a love interest for Melanie so I think the show will tie to the families on the canvas when need be. I don't blame them for going more with new characters. After all the problems with incest in the past few years, the show needs to steer clear of bringing on too many people from the same families and, to be honest, I prefer not to see too many more Brady/Horton couplings or pairings because I think there are too many as is.

I also wouldn't be so sure about Days leaving the air in 2010. It's budget is under control now and it's demos and ratings have them in a much better position. They are doing much better financially then they were and they are definitely a more appealing package now to other networks then they were before. As long as they keep the budget in check and continue on the path there are on, they should be fine and, at the very least, I think they will find a new home if NBC gets rid of them. People were so sure Days was a goner in 2009 but they were wrong and that was in a period of time where the show's budget was a mess and the ratings were not trending quite so positively. If Days can survive the past few renewals, it can survive another.

Bradyclan

My main problem with the turnover is that instead of having the vets gradually go and newbies gradually come in , it was all done is a span of a few months.

Changes are abrupt and they shouldn't be expecting most people to like that. Character development is the key to success and when you throw in a bunch of new characters especially characters with no ties on the show , it takes an amount of time for people to get warmed up to them.

If the characters are well-developped, I won't complain but if they are just thrown around, being on five days a week, without actual development, expect complaints. The writers need to give me a reason to care about those characters.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Bradyclan
Apr 28 2009, 02:12 PM
My main problem with the turnover is that instead of having the vets gradually go and newbies gradually come in , it was all done is a span of a few months.

Changes are abrupt and they shouldn't be expecting most people to like that. Character development is the key to success and when you throw in a bunch of new characters especially characters with no ties on the show , it takes an amount of time for people to get warmed up to them.

If the characters are well-developped, I won't complain but if they are just thrown around, being on five days a week, without actual development, expect complaints. The writers need to give me a reason to care about those characters.
I agree 100%, which is why I said if you want to argue the tunrovers in the past have been much better executed, I would agree with that.

Unfortunately, the show wasted too much time trying to live in the past. This turnover should've began years ago but the show didn't have the right leadership that would take a risk like that. By the time they got a risktaker like Tomlin, the financial situation had gotten so bad that Days had to be drastic. I blame Corday for that. Had this process began years ago, I think it would've been better. Alas, it didn't and I don't think it's been that bad other then the horrible exits given to popular characters. There really isn't that many new characters to speak of and the ones there are seem to have strong followings already for the most. As I said, the new characters have not been shoved down fans' throats either. Rafe was worked gradually in due to Ali's leave and his run began when most of the vets were still around. Will isn't exactly new but we don't see much of him and, when we do, he's in scenes with familiar characters and he has ties to the canvas. Mia is not on much. Arianna is tied to Rafe but, again, we barely see her. Who knows about Owen yet but we've only seen bits and pieces this far so he's barely on.

I can understand the new character argument if these characters are hogging the frontburner but they are not. Even Melanie has seen a major reduction in airtime.

Bradyclan

Well, yeah, none of the new characters are hogging airtime a la Melanie last fall.

But, I'm anticipating an influx of newbies hogging airtime during summer. Will/Mia and friends will be front and center same for Owen and his dad (I heard that he will have much more airtime due to DB leaving) , same with Arianna ( who is more likely to kinda fill the void of Chelsea) and now the rumors about an love interest for Melanie.

Let's not forget that Melanie is still fairly new ( less than a year to be exact) and with Max leaving and her having no family on the show kills her character development.
I think that she has potential but they will need to find a way to flesh her character a little more. I really liked the bro/sis chemistry she had with Max...

Also, about the turnover and how they waisted time on the past, I don't agree. The past is needed for the future. And I think Days did a great job with the Last Blast generation.

Problem is they had trouble keeping the popular actors and pairings and they all pretty much left in a short time span. It gave Days a blow and we are still reeling from that.

They gave it another shot with the Sorority/College generation. It was hopeful with kids of popular couples such as Abby and Steph. And they had an awesome anchor couple with Chick. But again, a mix of bad writing and actors leaving happened.

And now, here we are with a mix of a new generation upon us. Will being the kid of a big couple and Mia.. Also, there are still some remains of the previous generation with Stephanie being their new younger leading lady...

I think it's a big mistake that lots of those kids are without parents in town. The parents helped shape a character. That's why most of us cared for Shawn -D , Belle, Phil, Brady and Chloe.
Same could be said for Abby, Chelsea and Stephanie.Speaking of which, it was a big mistake not to have Steve and Kayla there for her lately.

I thought the character of Stephanie was a little more interesting when she had her parents. Remember the rape and how she talked to her mom and how her dad took it. We need these moments to get attached to the newer characters.The way they interact with established characters helps.

I could go on and on about it but I guess I got to my point.

Pudge Goddess
Member Avatar

Kenny
Apr 24 2009, 03:12 PM
King
Apr 24 2009, 03:11 PM
Who the hell is Owen? God, has it been that long since I watched this show? LOL.

I love GT though.
Wes Ramsey's character. He plays a gardener or some shit.
Whose gardener?

They've made some newbie gardener into a character? Okaaaaay . . .

I remember Gordon Thomson from Dynasty. That man has such a sexy, silky voice.

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

DAYS needs to quit bringing on new character, after new character. DAYS should be beefing up the Hortons----bring back Sarah Horton (Mickey & Maggie's daughter), Nick Fallon, Scotty Banning, give more airtime and maybe contracts to Kevin Dobson & Bill and Susan Hayes (Mickey, Doug & Julie).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply