Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Casting tidbits; May 5th issue
Topic Started: Apr 22 2009, 09:40 AM (2,508 Views)
Ellie

According to this week's SOD, Days is casting two new men: a "bad boy teen" who will probably turn out to be the father of Mia's baby, and a 25 year old med student who is slated for Melanie.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

thanks for posting Ellie!

aimees76
Member Avatar

More men? Huh. Well I'm glad they are giving Melanie someone age-appropriate. Thanks for posting!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Apr 22 2009, 09:40 AM
According to this week's SOD, Days is casting two new men: a "bad boy teen" who will probably turn out to be the father of Mia's baby, and a 25 year old med student who is slated for Melanie.

Melanie getting a (relatively) age-appropriate love interest??? Anything that takes her away from Philip and Brady is good news as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for posting!

esp13
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting, Ellie. I really hope that they are casting someone age appropriate for Melanie. That would make it a lot easier for me to actually like the character.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

That must be the guy we were all talking about in the other thread that was called "Nathan." He seemed to be a Horton and possibly Jeremy and the fact that the character is 25 means it could very well be. I think this casting will make alot of people happy since it could be a Horton and it helps Melanie out. I still don't think she is through with Philip but I think this will add an important element to her part in the story.

I was expecting the father of Mia's baby to show up and to play a part in the eventual reveal so no shock there. I don't expect that character to be long-term.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Unless Mia's baby's daddy is someone we already know, like a SORASed character, I don't give a damn. I'm sick of these new characters. The same thing goes for Melanie. Is it so hard to fucking cast Jeremy Horton or Andrew Donovan?!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Apr 22 2009, 11:08 AM
Unless Mia's baby's daddy is someone we already know, like a SORASed character, I don't give a damn. I'm sick of these new characters. The same thing goes for Melanie. Is it so hard to fucking cast Jeremy Horton or Andrew Donovan?!
Well, the casting call (which we are discussing in another thread...the one about the new recurring doctor) reads like the new med student is a Horton and that it could be Jeremy so you may get your wish on that.

Mia's baby's father is important to the story so that is a necessary casting. They hinted around early on that he may play a role so it's good IMO that they just didn't drop that angle because it should further help develop Mia and I can see him being a catalyst for the big reveal.

esp13
Member Avatar

Honestly, what difference does it make if he's a Horton or not? They don't do big family things anymore and barely acknowledge most family relationships anyway. If he's a med student who's not a Horton, he'll have ties to the hospital (Lexie, Daniel, Melanie at least). Is the character going to be more developed/better written because he's a Horton or Andrew Donovan than because he's Joe Smith?

If Days still did the actual family type scenes we used to get the past, I'd totally agree with you. But they don't. So, if they bring in a new guy and that expands the gene pool in Salem, so be it.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

esp13
Apr 22 2009, 11:20 AM
Honestly, what difference does it make if he's a Horton or not? They don't do big family things anymore and barely acknowledge most family relationships anyway. If he's a med student who's not a Horton, he'll have ties to the hospital (Lexie, Daniel, Melanie at least). Is the character going to be more developed/better written because he's a Horton or Andrew Donovan than because he's Joe Smith?

If Days still did the actual family type scenes we used to get the past, I'd totally agree with you. But they don't. So, if they bring in a new guy and that expands the gene pool in Salem, so be it.
You have a point, but me, personally, I would rather have a character already established that we already know so I can somewhat care about what's going on, than a total newbie that I don't give a damn about.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I tend to agree to an extent with esp13. The show did need new blood and maybe even a new family, kind of like the 80's when they brought in the Brady's. However, with the increased presence of Maggie and the focus on the hospital, it is a good time to bring back some Horton's. With the cast cuts, there is room to bring on one or two young Horton's and bringing back that family is a major plus because the Brady's have been played so much in the past 20 years that I think it's just a sense of been there, done that. I think that is why the Kiriakis/Dimera stuff goes over so well as it's new and we are seeing the Kiriakis' play as a major force and family in Salem.

Drew also makes a point because many will have difficulty investing with so many new characters. The thing that I think helps is they aren't just tossing every new character into your face 24/7. They are slowly integrating them. They've even toned back on Melanie. I feel that helps a little bit.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 22 2009, 11:29 AM.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Apr 22 2009, 11:01 AM
That must be the guy we were all talking about in the other thread that was called "Nathan." He seemed to be a Horton and possibly Jeremy and the fact that the character is 25 means it could very well be. I think this casting will make alot of people happy since it could be a Horton and it helps Melanie out. I still don't think she is through with Philip but I think this will add an important element to her part in the story.

I was expecting the father of Mia's baby to show up and to play a part in the eventual reveal so no shock there. I don't expect that character to be long-term.
I definitely agree....I've been waiting for Grace's father to show up for awhile....and I will be shocked if he's around long, actually. I definitely expected the father to be a bad boy, and for some reason I see him causing some trouble, and then dying or making some kind of exit....thats the main reason I wouldn't want him as an established character.

And I am hoping this "Nathan" is a Horton, maybe even Jeremy...but WHY couldn't the show have casted Wes Ramsey as Jeremy, still had him doing his work for the DiMera's, but then also grow close to Melanie AND get drawn back to Stephanie or something like that....I really think they could have spared us another new character and made things more interesting if Ramsey had been Jeremy, but thats just me.

uclan
Member Avatar

Is it possible that Ramsey's character could possibly be a horton or even a donovan. Maybe seeking revenge on what he perceives as victor's interferring in kimberly's life. just a thought.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

thanks...I liked Nick with Melanie,,they had a great chemistry,,he had loads of potential story wise,,and he was part Horton..guess I will have to view these guys to guage better how much I like them

esp13
Member Avatar

I just don't think it matters a whit if the guy is Jeremy or some other unnamed Horton. When Jeremy was on before he had almost no interaction with any members of the Horton family and mostly what I remember reading is how he didn't look like he could be Mike and Robin's son (which I won't really dispute) and how he didn't act like a Horton.

It just seems to me that if they bring on somebody that has to be a member of some family, then there are all these preconceived notions of how that character should be before the character is ever given a chance to develop. It sets up for a whole lot of "I just can imagine that the child of __________ would ever be like this."

Like I said, if I thought they would use history and family connections to develop the character at all, I would probably agree with you more. But they don't, so I think it's almost better not to go down that road. You can create connections to the canvas without making somebody related to half the town. And recent history has proven that even when you make somebody related to half the town, it doesn't mean people are going to care about them. If anything it seems to make it more likely they are going to pre-judge and dislike the character for not fitting the image somebody had of who that character should be.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Good! They need someone a bit younger for Melanie. Thanks Ellie!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I would be thrilled if they bring Jeremy back. It's time Melanie gets her own love story. And with the Hortons slowly developing more; notice that Will is Will Horton, not Will Roberts, it will be a great expansion

esp13
Member Avatar

The thing is, I'm not sure Jeremy would be the right guy anyway. First off, last we heard he was on the run from the cops and now he would be in med school? Granted, it's not the most outrageous thing the show has done (even this week) but it is still a stretch. Secondly, he was supposed to be somewhat older than Stephanie when he was on the show before (he'd already served as a pilot in Iraq, had his long criminal history, etc.) so I don't think Jeremy fits the age range. Doesn't mean it's not another Horton, or a recast, completely revised Jeremy. But, right now, the information doesn't seem to fit.

jane1978

esp13
Apr 22 2009, 02:52 PM
The thing is, I'm not sure Jeremy would be the right guy anyway. First off, last we heard he was on the run from the cops and now he would be in med school? Granted, it's not the most outrageous thing the show has done (even this week) but it is still a stretch. Secondly, he was supposed to be somewhat older than Stephanie when he was on the show before (he'd already served as a pilot in Iraq, had his long criminal history, etc.) so I don't think Jeremy fits the age range. Doesn't mean it's not another Horton, or a recast, completely revised Jeremy. But, right now, the information doesn't seem to fit.
I donīt know why people think he is Jeremy. He could be anyone. Heck, the last time we saw Mike was in late 90īs, so this guy could be easily his son. Or for all we know Jack Deveraux Jr. There is a whole generation they can jump over and just introduce whoever they want.

Deleted User
Deleted User

jane1978
Apr 22 2009, 03:57 PM
esp13
Apr 22 2009, 02:52 PM
I donīt know why people think he is Jeremy. He could be anyone. Heck, the last time we saw Mike was in late 90īs, so this guy could be easily his son. Or for all we know Jack Deveraux Jr. There is a whole generation they can jump over and just introduce whoever they want.

They could even create a brand new Horton, a la Nick as well.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply