Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Quick mention by Kevin Dobson; Speaks of DAYS job in past tense
Topic Started: Apr 27 2009, 02:31 PM (2,064 Views)
Dr. Chip

Kevin Dobson was interviewed on the red carpet at the TV Land Awards before "Knots Landing" received an award.

Interviewer: Loved you on KNOTS LANDING. It pretty much set the standard for evening drama. Can you recognize any other shows that kinda follow the path that you guys set?

Kevin Dobson: Oh, yeah. You know, the format is similar to BROTHERS AND SISTERS and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. I tuned into DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES because of Nicollette Sheridan. And those daytime . . . yeah, the daytime shows, you know. That's the hardest work in the business, I believe . . . the daytime shows. I was doing DAYS OF OUR LIVES for a while, and I guess they forgot the character.

Interviewer: You know, that happens.

Kevin Dobson: It happens.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Oh wow! For some reason, I was thinking about him the other day - I think I was watching a very old Mickey and Maggie scene, and then I realized we hadn't seen Mickey in a while. Guess that means we really won't see him again. (Not that I liked KD in the role - I didn't - but I think it's such a shame to get rid of the character.) They shouldn't have recast Mickey in the first place then.

Thanks for sharing this!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Dr. Chip
Apr 27 2009, 02:31 PM
Kevin Dobson: Oh, yeah. You know, the format is similar to BROTHERS AND SISTERS and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. I tuned into DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES because of Nicollette Sheridan. And those daytime . . . yeah, the daytime shows, you know. That's the hardest work in the business, I believe . . . the daytime shows. I was doing DAYS OF OUR LIVES for a while, and I guess they forgot the character.
Bahahaha. Wasn't he playing Mickey?

It's a sad, sad day when Mickey Horton becomes a forgotten character.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Kenny
Apr 27 2009, 02:34 PM
Yep. :frownie: Sad, but not surprising.

daysfan
Member Avatar

It is truly sad that to this day, three years later, Mickey Horton has only appeared onscreen all of several times since John Ingle left the role. I've gotten used to it, but still it truly is very sad.

Whats even sadder is how every regime since JER has just let him fade away...Higley or whoever the hell was in control in the Spring had him appear, yes, but nonetheless, its like no one cares at all.

Ah well.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Apr 27 2009, 02:36 PM
Kenny
Apr 27 2009, 02:34 PM
Yep. :frownie: Sad, but not surprising.
Not surprising at all, but it's still disrespectful. It's disrespectful to the fans of the character and fans of the show. When you have a character that's so important to the show's tapestry as Mickey Horton, you do something with them. Otherwise, give them a meaningful exit. The one thing you should never do is just have them fade into the woodwork never to be heard from again as if they never existed in the first place. It's a slap in the face, not only to the actor(s) who played the character, but it's also a slap in the face to longtime fans of the show who appreciate the history and the Mickey/Maggie pairing.

Ellie

Kenny
Apr 27 2009, 02:43 PM
Not surprising at all, but it's still disrespectful. It's disrespectful to the fans of the character and fans of the show. When you have a character that's so important to the show's tapestry as Mickey Horton, you do something with them. Otherwise, give them a meaningful exit. The one thing you should never do is just have them fade into the woodwork never to be heard from again as if they never existed in the first place. It's a slap in the face, not only to the actor(s) who played the character, but it's also a slap in the face to longtime fans of the show who appreciate the history and the Mickey/Maggie pairing.
Oh, I agree completely! What I meant was that sadly, this just follows the current trend of letting all significant characters just fade away. I think with Mickey, they should have given the character closure when John Clarke left. I think they should have killed Mickey, truthfully. When someone's played a character that long, it really doesn't make sense imo to recast. Instead they ignored Mickey for years, for example just showing a picture on the Horton fireplace of Maggie by herself. It looked silly, and then recasting after that made even less sense.

Dr. Chip

Well, last Christmas, they explained his absence by saying he was upstairs watching Alice sleep! I guess when the next holiday rolls around, they can say he's visiting Steve and Kayla.

Ellie

Dr. Chip
Apr 27 2009, 02:55 PM
Well, last Christmas, they explained his absence by saying he was upstairs watching Alice sleep! I guess when the next holiday rolls around, they can say he's visiting Steve and Kayla.
ROFL that was so tacky. I hated that. Right, so probably next Christmas, there will be a huge crowd in that Horton house upstairs bedroom. Alice, Steve, Kayla, Mickey. Maybe J&M will come to Salem for Christmas (why wouldn't they?), but they'll be upstairs chatting with Mickey as well.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Dr. Chip
Apr 27 2009, 02:55 PM
Or maybe he's helping Don Craig mail his letter. :lol:

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Apr 27 2009, 02:48 PM
Oh, I agree completely! What I meant was that...
LoL, I know that, silly! I was just speaking in general terms.

Ellie

Kenny
Apr 27 2009, 03:06 PM
Ellie
Apr 27 2009, 02:48 PM
Oh, I agree completely! What I meant was that...
LoL, I know that, silly! I was just speaking in general terms.
Haha ok, thought so but just wanted to make sure.

I feel bad for Kevin... sounds like probably he was 'on call' to play Mickey (as he is recurring), and they just didn't call. Probably not that different than Leann. Another lesson in employee relations from the Days production office.

Sindacco

I didn't like John Ingle or Kevin Dobson in the role. John Clarke is Mickey Horton.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I didn't like John Ingle or Kevin either. I did think the guy that played Mickey for a very short time after John Clarke left was ok though. He looked a lot like him. They really should have just had Mickey die when John Clarke left.

oldschoolfan

Hmm, Days does that a lot, I mean forget the characters. :(

Tammy
Member Avatar

They never should have tried to replace John Clarke in the first place :shame:

shayera

What a shame! I liked Kevin Dobson as Mickey.

Days just can't seem to do anything right with a veteran character! :redface:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I don't think it's a case of forgetting him because they are using Maggie alot and it makes it more glaring because of that. I just think they don't care anymore and they realize Dobson was not the right choice. Plus, I remember reading how he lived out in NY and was doing other things out there and that he only took the gig because it wasn't a heavy workload so maybe the show just hated going through all that, kind of like Andrea Evans and OLTL. He worked on OLTL when Higley was there so I think he was her move but with her not being in complete control, I'm not shocked he isn't being used. He has not been used since Tomlin came on and Higley did use him. Maggie doesn't even mention him anymore. There has been no mention since Christmas, I believe. It seems the show has interest in the Horton's so I don't see it having anything to do with not wanting them, at least not any moreso then the last few regimes.

I like Dobson but not as Mickey. I really don't understand why they bothered recasting. I gave it a chance but it's just stupid to even bother. I mean, I liked Ingle at times and he did see more airtime (thanks to the Bonnie stuff) but he still wasn't Mickey. Clarke is and will always be Mickey and, I hate to say this, but they should've just killed him off when they had the chance. That way there would be no problem and we wouldn't have to go through all this junk with Mickey being MIA. Now, it's hard to do that because Frances is not able to work and the last thing anyone wants, even if she could work, is to see her mourning her onscreen right now. It's just a mess now. They are better off just leaving it alone and just mentioning him in passing. I've gotten used to the stupid excuses by now anyway.

Oh, how I wish Clarke could return just for holidays and special engagements. It's a really a shame that the character has been reduced to what he's been reduced to.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 28 2009, 12:24 AM.

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Apr 28 2009, 12:20 AM
I don't think it's a case of forgetting him because they are using Maggie alot and it makes it more glaring because of that. I just think they don't care anymore and they realize Dobson was not the right choice. Plus, I remember reading how he lived out in NY and was doing other things out there and that he only took the gig because it wasn't a heavy workload so maybe the show just hated going through all that, kind of like Andrea Evans and OLTL. He worked on OLTL when Higley was there so I think he was her move but with her not being in complete control, I'm not shocked he isn't being used. He has not been used since Tomlin came on and Higley did use him. Maggie doesn't even mention him anymore. There has been no mention since Christmas, I believe. It seems the show has interest in the Horton's so I don't see it having anything to do with not wanting them, at least not any moreso then the last few regimes.

I like Dobson but not as Mickey. I really don't understand why they bothered recasting. I gave it a chance but it's just stupid to even bother. I mean, I liked Ingle at times and he did see more airtime (thanks to the Bonnie stuff) but he still wasn't Mickey. Clarke is and will always be Mickey and, I hate to say this, but they should've just killed him off when they had the chance. That way there would be no problem and we wouldn't have to go through all this junk with Mickey being MIA. Now, it's hard to do that because Frances is not able to work and the last thing anyone wants, even if she could work, is to see her mourning her onscreen right now. It's just a mess now. They are better off just leaving it alone and just mentioning him in passing. I've gotten used to the stupid excuses by now anyway.

Oh, how I wish Clarke could return just for holidays and special engagements. It's a really a shame that the character has been reduced to what he's been reduced to.
I think the show has no use for Mickey right now. Iīm sure if John Clark was still in the part they would find a way how to incorporate him a little for the familiarility effect, but Dobson is a stranger for almost everyone so they donīt see any reason to write for the character.

And there is also the financial aspect because Dobson is a recurring and they would have to pay him for each appearance so the producer will rather use Maggie, Caroline or someone else on contract as the support character in the storyline.

carlypvee

Thanks for sharing. I was just thinking about Kevin Dobson/Mickey the other day as I was watching some clips from last spring.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply