Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Rachel Melvin discusses her Days exit; May 12th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Apr 29 2009, 10:15 AM (1,905 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD features an interview with Rachel Melvin where she discusses her exit from Days.

- Melvin says her last day on the show was the day everyone found out Darin Brooks was leaving. "They asked me to come back for two days in May, to close out Max's story, so my last day really wasn't my last day. But I treated it like it was my last day and I think it fit my character's emotion better."

- Melvin says her final scenes were "more emotional" because Melvin does not know when her next acting job will be.

- Melvin's plans do not include another soap. She says she wants to "stray from the soap path" for a year, but she may end up coming back to daytime if she finds that that's what she liked best. However, she wants to explore other areas first.

- Melvin then discusses what she won't miss about Days. "To be quite honest, I won't miss the inconsistencies with characterization, which comes with any show that's on any day." She says that no one in particular is to be blamed for that, but she explains that it was very frustrating for her to have to justify things that her character would do one day, and then the next day her character would have to do the opposite "with just as much conviction, but no addressing the fact that she's being a total hypocrite".

- Melvin had planned to take the name card from her dressing room door, but she says that Molly Burnett texted her that the show removed it. She says it "broke [her] heart a little", and at that point, she thought, "Wow. I'm really gone."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Apr 29 2009, 10:15 AM
- Melvin then discusses what she won't miss about Days. "To be quite honest, I won't miss the inconsistencies with characterization, which comes with any show that's on any day." She says that no one in particular is to be blamed for that, but she explains that it was very frustrating for her to have to justify things that her character would do one day, and then the next day her character would have to do the opposite "with just as much conviction, but no addressing the fact that she's being a total hypocrite".
Wow, I love that she said that--and it's not just Chelsea, either, who suffered from that. I often feel for the actors when they have to try to sell storyline that makes no sense and/or seems to be out of character. I don't like to go to the "out of character" card too often, because, especially with young characters, people grow and evolve and change and might react to similar situations differently than they did in the past--but characters do need to have at least some consistency.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Aw, good interview. I think Melvin is talented. I hope she finds work. As a Days fan I to find it frusterating that these characters are all over the place with no explanation.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Go Rachel! I love what she said about not always being able to explain characters' actions.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

Wow! I feel SO bad for having had ill thoughts towards her, I was really wrong about her and for that, I genuinely apologize (to RM and her fans). It's not Rachel's fault that Chelsea sucks. I guess it's true that you can't/won't/don't appreciate someone 'til they're gone.

To be fair, Rachel IS very talented and she does deserve better than DOOL.

I sincerely wish RM the best with her future endevours and that she becomes an after-DOOL success story.

Kenny
Member Avatar

KristianFanForever
Apr 29 2009, 11:34 AM
Wow! I feel SO bad for having had ill thoughts towards her, I was really wrong about her and for that, I genuinely apologize (to RM and her fans). It's not Rachel's fault that Chelsea sucks.
Is that what you thought this entire time? Could you not make the differentiation between character and actor?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

Kenny
Apr 29 2009, 11:45 AM
Is that what you thought this entire time? Could you not make the differentiation between character and actor?
Take it however you want. I'm out of this thread.

Kenny
Member Avatar

KristianFanForever
Apr 29 2009, 12:04 PM
Kenny
Apr 29 2009, 11:45 AM
Take it however you want. I'm out of this thread.
Okay. Bye.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mackie

I think that RM is a very mature and insightful young lady and I love her criticism of lack of consistency in the writing.

darraholic
Member Avatar

I'll really miss Rachel but I'm so over Chelsea.

ges
Member Avatar

I loved what she said about never knowing what "character" the character was going to be.
It proves that some tof the actors can commiserate with the viewing audience that has been complaining about this for years. Frustrating for us all. Especially when there is a simple solutuion. Although, of course Ms. Melvin is too polite to name names. I for one will miss her. They have deliberately made her boring so that the audience won't be so sad when she is gone.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I think it is so interesting how Rachel grew right along with Chelsea over the years. The Rachel who gives interviews now, is not the same one from four years ago. I think she will a success in Hollywood. I wish only the best for her and kind of happy that we are losing a character that is related to just about everyone in town lol

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mikegoldy
Apr 29 2009, 01:05 PM
I think it is so interesting how Rachel grew right along with Chelsea over the years. The Rachel who gives interviews now, is not the same one from four years ago. I think she will a success in Hollywood. I wish only the best for her and kind of happy that we are losing a character that is related to just about everyone in town lol
I agree. She really matured as her character did. I am actually proud of her and wish her the best. I still have a feeling she will be back. Just the sense I get from this interview. She doesn't want to do another soap right now. She doesn't know where her next acting job will be and, to be honest, I don't see her doing much at all. I love her to death but we all know Hollywood is all about glamour and having that "model" look and Rachel just does not fit that. I think she is very pretty but the Hollywood brass will not view her as very commercial and the fact that she is talented won't make a difference since most roles go to the untalented now anyway, sadly.

How horrible that she couldn't get her name plate. You would think the morons would just bring it to her and not take it like that. Idiots.

As for her comment about the writing, I'm pretty sure that was a dig at the writing for her over the past year and maybe a little bit of a dig at the writing for her during the summer of 2007 and I can't blame her because she did seem to struggle with the character in those periods at times. Having said that, the problem is just not limited to Days so she is right on about that. Most soaps and shows struggle with keeping their characters consistent, especially if the show has been on for a long time or the character has been on for a long time. Rachel was right on about that.

I wish her luck and will miss her.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Paxton
Apr 29 2009, 10:20 AM
Ellie
Wow, I love that she said that--and it's not just Chelsea, either, who suffered from that. I often feel for the actors when they have to try to sell storyline that makes no sense and/or seems to be out of character. I don't like to go to the "out of character" card too often, because, especially with young characters, people grow and evolve and change and might react to similar situations differently than they did in the past--but characters do need to have at least some consistency.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!
I loved that she said that too. And you're right, it's not just for the Chelsea character. It almost makes for the fact they are daring to write in a happy ending for the boring and needless pairing of Chex. (Almost, but not quite).

Bradyclan

Thanks Ellie.

I always enjoy Rachel's interview and blogs. She tells it liek it is and I totally agree with her.
Part of me is wishing that Chelsea will be back in a year because I really liked the character. I think a character that has many ties on the show is needed and I loved her interactions with Bo and Hope.

Another part of me wishes that she finds something better and makes it big in Hollywood. Rachel is so talented and it'd be a shame for her to waste those talents.

I'll miss her and here's to wishing she gets nominated again this year and hopefully a win!

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie.

I hope Rachel is able to find whatever type of acting gig she's looking for. I think she's a fabulous actress when given good material, which sadly she hasn't gotten at DOOL in a long time.

angelatil
Member Avatar

Wow..I love Rachel! I always have loved her blogs and interviews and how real she keeps it! I will definitely miss her and I agree with a couple of you in that part of me hopes she comes back. I mean I just think personally she really is the only one that can play Chelsea hands down. But part of me hopes she does not come back as I would like to see her make it big. Unless she wants to come back that is for which I would love. :)

I agree with the writing for her character. I have often seen inconsistencies with her character, mostly since last November really. I am glad to know that I was not the only one to see that and that Rachel herself saw that too. And not just with her character, others as well. She is a very talented actress and I just would have hoped they would have used her talents more, at least especially since last November/December.

I am also glad to see a lot of people support her. I have always been a fan but have had seen how some seem to have not be as nice about her and Chelsea over the years but I am actually glad to see a turnaround a little bit. It actually warms my heart.

I will miss Rachel and I really do wish her the best!

Dr. Chip

Ellie
- Melvin's plans do not include another soap. She says she wants to "stray from the soap path" for a year, but she may end up coming back to daytime if she finds that that's what she liked best. However, she wants to explore other areas first.
"She may end up coming back to daytime if she finds that that's what she liked best."

Translation: She'll be back on a soap if she can't find other work.

Liz1967

I just adore RM and I wish her all the best in whatever she does. I will truly miss her and the character of Chelsea. I think she brought her character full circle and I loved her portrayal. I was lucky enough to meet her in person at the Day of Days event and she was so nice. You could tell she appreciates her fans and the support that they give her. She will be truly missed! She is a class act!

michelle
Member Avatar

How sad, she can't even get her own namecard. Sometimes DAYS really sucks. I love it, but it still sucks.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply