Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Matthew Borlenghi in talks to return to AMC
Topic Started: May 5 2009, 11:07 AM (449 Views)
Ellie

http://www.soaps.com/allmychildren/news/4173/All_My_Childrens_Matthew_Borlenghi_Talks_About_Ret

All My Children's Matthew Borlenghi Talks About Returning To Daytime

Actors leave soap operas for Primetime and movie careers, but many return time and again to reprise the roles of their signature characters. After several years away from the Daytime spotlight, Matthew Borlenghi (ex-Brian Bodine AMC, ex-Ziggy, The Bold and The Beautiful, ex-Mayor Marino, Days of Our Lives) is talking about a return to his signature role!

Matthew left Pine Valley in the 1990's and has since made a name for himself in Hollywood. He has appeared in several Primetime shows including "Dexter", "Pacific Blue" and "Without A Trace". He also starred in the film "Jack Rio" in 2008 before taking on the Days of Our Lives role of Mayor Anthony Marino. It is this last role that has Matthew considered a permanent return to Daytime and Pine Valley!

"We're talking about things right now. I called Judy Wilson (casting director for AMC). We've been friendly for a long time, and I told her that we need to try to figure something out. I had so much fun doing Days that I just want to be involved with Pine Valley again."

Matthew knows a return won't be easy, especially with word that Guiding Light has been canceled. Still, he believes now is the time to return to his roots.

"When I was playing Brian Bodine, I remember the worst place ratings were maybe a 4 or so. Now, if you're a 4.0 you're really doing well. That used to be the halfway mark! I really hope [Daytime] is not a dying art, and I just really feel like the time is right for me to go home to the family that welcomed me in the beginning."

Returning sounds like a good idea, right fans? But what would Brian do in Pine Valley these days? Hayley has left Pine Valley with Mateo, Myrtle has passed on. It seems that all of the characters that Brian was close to have gone on to greener pastures as well, but Matthew has a few ideas of his own to bring Brian back to Pine Valley!

"I made a brief return 10 years ago and Brian was then a television producer in LA. He came back to steal Hayley from Mateo and it didn't work. What I think would be interesting to play now is to consider Brian's emotional whereabouts. A really interesting idea would be that being in LA has left him a shell of who he was. Brian, in the beginning, was kindness and inherent goodness, and maybe all of these years in LA have changed him. He doesn't like who he sees in the mirror and comes back to find himself. It would be interesting to come back and have him deal with Myrt's death after the fact."

And if you're thinking about romantic interests, so is Matthew! He would like to see Brian paired up with Liza (Jamie Luner) or Taylor (Beth Ehlers).

"I've always admired Beth Ehlers work. I'm not familiar with her character but I would love to see that kind of pairing. Beth should not be on the backburner, she is too good. That could be a really interesting marketing move, too, to bring back a popular character and pair that character with a great newer (to the show) character. And, Jamie Luner (Liza) and I kind of know each other from way back. I think she is great. I think that pairing makes the most sense," said Matthew. But, overall, he is ready to sink his teeth into. But, overall, he is ready to sink his teeth into a great, dramatic story.

"I would like to be part of some good, dynamic drama. When I left I was a kid. I wanted to laugh and [goof] off and not be in the middle of all of the drama that Daytime dishes out. It was so heavy and I just had so much trouble with all of the mail from kids dealing with alcoholism and the subjects we were acting out. I wasn't ready for that; it was just too much for me."

So far there is no immediate news about Matthew's return as Brian, but as soon as anything is definite, Soaps.com will pass along the news to you! And the interview isn't over! Matthew and I also talked about the state of Daytime and how he would like to see Daytime television evolve and stay on the air! Soaps.com will post Part II of our chat with Matthew Borlenghi in a few days. Stay tuned!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

It sounds like someone's desperate for a job.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Very desperate! And it's sad! He is a talented actor and I liked his short stint on B&B as Sheila's crony and ultimately victim! I just don't see where Brian would fit in unless he was now a wealthy and powerful character who could go up against Zach and Adam! But Beth Ehlers already has several potential love interests and from what I hear, she's been back burnered! There's no way the show is getting Ripa back so I can't see the point!

Tammy
Member Avatar

I just dont see the point of bringing that character back without Hayle there :shrug:

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Maybe he will send in his own fanmail to AMC too. LOL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply