Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Dr. Baker off the canvas for a while; May 19th issue
Topic Started: May 6 2009, 11:04 AM (1,612 Views)
Ellie

According to this week's SOD, John Callahan (Dr. Baker) will be taking a short break from Days. Dr. Baker's last airdate - for now - is May 13th. Callahan says that "Dr. Baker is taking a little bit of a break. I was told he would be 'off the canvas for a bit', so I'm enjoying buying new paints while I'm off the canvas." SOD then asks Callahan about Dr. Baker's return. He says that "something's gotta give with Nicole and her baby shenanigans."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie.

So does this mean that since he's going off the canvas, there will be no end in sight to the baby switch story? :drunk:

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Don't go away for long, Dr. Baker! (And I first read this as him saying he would be buying new pants.)

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

Daytime
Member Avatar

Why do I have the feeling that this babyswitch is going to go on all year. They are literally wearing me down. i don't know how much longer I can take of this.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Thats too bad...so I guess the baby switch will conclude when the Ejami baby is grown and ready to start college??

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Boooooooooooooooo. Dr. Baker is one of the only things that makes this drawn out baby switch story halfway tolerable.

Rose

Thanks Ellie!

mypassionispassions
Member Avatar

Rose
May 6 2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks Ellie!
Rose, Love your Sami banner, can I borrow it?

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I bet he won't be gone for long. Thanks, Ellie!

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

I am really getting to like this character and watch him as Nicole tries to get the best of him. Hope he isn't gone too long. Thanks for the post.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Dena is dragging this story out waaaaay too long. I think its safe to say that a majority of the fans are sick of it already as well :headbang:

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Oh doc Baker..you will be missed!!!!
Liz

coffeelover

lastDays
May 6 2009, 01:59 PM
Dena is dragging this story out waaaaay too long. I think its safe to say that a majority of the fans are sick of it already as well :headbang:
ITA!

Thanks for posting Ellie!

And I too will miss Dr. Baker love him with Nicole!

dooldooldool

This is hardly a shocker. Lets see,

1. Ratings are way up as the babyswitch storyline meandered
2. DOOL has a history of "long-arc" parentage storylines. Mike Horton's true parentage was played out for 10-12 years. Wil Roberts (Horton?) was played out over 3-4 years. Isaac/Zach Brady was played out for well over a year. There is no reason to expect the Grace/Sydney storyline to end anytime soon
3. There are multiple layers still to unfold and perplex once the truth starts to come out (ie EJ doing a secret DNA test and discovering Sydney is his baby, SamiRafe being perplexed about Sydney DNA, Mia's baby-daddy back on the scene, Will and Mia going ti the Last Blast Dance)

Given that a "Day in Salem" typically runs about 6-8 episodes, everything should come out in about two weeks....roughly in time for November Sweeps (120 episodes / 8 = 15 days.

mirabella

Thanks for posting, Ellie. I guess he will be back in time for the baby switch reveal, no doubt one of the sweeps periods.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lastDays
Maybe some of the boards are but the ratings don't indicate that.

When you tell a story like this, you have to build it more and more. You can't rush it. All the beats NEED to be played so that you can set up the repercussions of what happens and new stories for when this one ends. Otherwise, you have nothing for when this story ends. That can't happen.

This story began around Thanksgiving. The baby switch itself began in late January when the babies were actually switched. I still don't see how this is drawn out, especially when you consider there is so much to it. You have Sami's lies and her relationship with Rafe and EJ, you have EJ/Nicole and her lies, Brady's involvement, the feud, etc. There is so much that needs to be played that rushing it would be shoddy writing.

Classic soap is building a story and taking the viewer on a long journey so that when the payoff does come, it's worth it. It has dramatic impact. The story coming to an end now would not do that. It would be like just getting over with. The longer Days builds this, the better it will be and the ratings will likely be better too. Think about the stories in the 90's most notably Kristen's baby scheme. That went on from November 1996-June/July 1997 and the ratings surged and the reveal of that scheme brought Days within .2 of beating Y&R. Days is smart to milk this story and it's proper soap writing to build this story up right.

I'm so happy that Baker will be back. I love him and my feeling is when he returns it will be for the downfall of Nicole. I've always felt that we would build to her downfall around late June or so, maybe even making it the Wimbledon cliffhanger. I still feel that way and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
May 6 2009, 04:36 PM
lastDays

When you tell a story like this, you have to build it more and more. You can't rush it. All the beats NEED to be played so that you can set up the repercussions of what happens and new stories for when this one ends. Otherwise, you have nothing for when this story ends. That can't happen.

This story began around Thanksgiving. The baby switch itself began in late January when the babies were actually switched. I still don't see how this is drawn out, especially when you consider there is so much to it. You have Sami's lies and her relationship with Rafe and EJ, you have EJ/Nicole and her lies, Brady's involvement, the feud, etc. There is so much that needs to be played that rushing it would be shoddy writing.

Classic soap is building a story and taking the viewer on a long journey so that when the payoff does come, it's worth it. It has dramatic impact. The story coming to an end now would not do that. It would be like just getting over with. The longer Days builds this, the better it will be and the ratings will likely be better too. Think about the stories in the 90's most notably Kristen's baby scheme. That went on from November 1996-June/July 1997 and the ratings surged and the reveal of that scheme brought Days within .2 of beating Y&R. Days is smart to milk this story and it's proper soap writing to build this story up right.

I'm so happy that Baker will be back. I love him and my feeling is when he returns it will be for the downfall of Nicole. I've always felt that we would build to her downfall around late June or so, maybe even making it the Wimbledon cliffhanger. I still feel that way and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.
I actually agree with everything you say - I'm not bored with this story yet. I don't think its going too slow or too fast. Its got lots of beats to play and it playing them out in a natural way - not forced, rushed or purposely slow.

But I was also thinking one reason that this story is working for me so well is because of Nicole/Ari. She really brings it in every scene and keeps me engaged almost all the time. I do think that for viewers not so enamoured with Nicole, it might be a borefest though - I can see that. Luckily I'm not one of them!

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

While I am frustrated at this turn of events, I take consolation in the fact that soon Nicole's lies will be exposed and her days of staining the DiMera mansion will be coming to an end.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

PhoenixRising05
May 6 2009, 04:36 PM
lastDays

I can deal with this being drawn out to the end of June/Wimbledon or even for July sweeps thing.

But I don't have any faith this show will get this resolved before November sweeps actually.

I mean there's still the Daniel-Chloe-Lucas shit to hit the fan and I figure they'll drop that bomb first.

michelle
Member Avatar

Maybe it just seems long because we all knew it was going to happen in advance. Not from the spoilers, mind you, but from the obvious predictability...

I would just love to be truly surprised for once.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply