Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Insider Blog: Bryan Dattilo and his mother
Topic Started: May 6 2009, 06:23 PM (1,417 Views)
Ellie

http://blog.nbc.com/days_production/2009/05/mothers_day_with_bryan_dattilo.php

Mother's Day with Bryan Dattilo and his mother, Peggy

We all know what a lovable goofball Bryan is off the set of "Days of our Lives," but did you know he is also a doting son to his mother, Peggy? After reading his answers to my Mother's Day questions, I'll guarantee you will fall in love with him all over again.

Posted Image

Do you have any Mother's Day traditions?
Calling her is definitely one of them. I also have to call my grandma because she’s a mother. My mom likes lilies, so that’s what she gets. I used to make her cards, and sometimes I do that just for kicks. I try to make it look very adolescent.

Does your mom offer any feedback from your work?
Yes, she nitpicks me with a fine-toothed comb.

What important life lessons did your mom teach you?
She always says, "Success is when preparation meets opportunity." Nothing just happens. Everything is earned. So, if you want success, you have to prepare and be ready when the opportunity is presented. She also says not to be a selfish lover; women love generosity.

Posted Image

Don't forget to check out what Peggy has to say about having Bryan as a son, as well.

Do you have a favorite childhood story about Bryan?
I guess one of my favorite, but most exasperating stories about Bryan, is the time he and his older brother, Brent, made us miss a plane because they were having too much fun with some pretty Italian girls they met in Paris.

Bryan was only 15 at the time, and his brother Brent was 18. I had managed to save up enough money to take the boys, and their sister Kristin, who was 16, to Paris for three weeks one summer. We met a group of Italian students who were also on summer vacation, and we ended up spending a lot of time together.

The last day of the trip rolled around, and we were due to fly out of Paris at 4:00 pm. on a plane bound for London, then home to LA. By this time, the boys had both fallen for a couple of the Italian girls, and they begged me to let them have one last morning at the Louvre Museum with the ladies. I agreed, but told them they had to be back at the hotel NO LATER THAN 1:00 pm. Well, needless to say, at 3:00 pm. the boys were still not back. My daughter Kristin and I were waiting outside the hotel with the suitcases -- and there was no site of the two Romeos. They finally showed up at about 3:30 -- way too late to make the flight, saying they lost track of time because no one had a watch. And I was supposed to believe there weren't any clocks at the museum. Anyway, we went to the airport, and it took me forever, and a lot of real tears, to convince the ticket agent not to charge me extra to put us on the next flight. And while I stewed all the way back to London, the boys laughed and carried on about what a great time they'd had with the ladies during their last memorable moments in Paris.

Do you watch Bryan on "Days of our Lives?"
I watch Bry on Days whenever I have the chance. I usually try and plan my lunch around "Days," but since I still work, it's not always possible. Now that I've moved back to the Midwest, it's nice to see him on the show because it's my only way of checking in on him. I love it when his face comes on screen, and I can't help but remember how, when he was young, I used to tell him he was "soap opera handsome." He used to laugh and say that I only thought that because I was his mom; guess I was right!

What is your most memorable Mother's Day with Bryan?
There have been a lot of memorable Mother's Days for me. Being a single mom since my kids were 2, 3 and 5, I had lots of Mother's Days where it was them and me. The thing about Bryan is he has always been the most thoughtful and generous son a mother could ask for... all my kids have. When Bryan was young and didn't have a job, he always made sure he at least made me a card. The first year he worked on "Days," he wanted to make my Mother's Days special and he took me out to brunch and gifted me with a beautiful ESQ watch! That was 15 years ago and I still wear the watch every day... too bad I didn't have it when he was 15 -- I could have loaned it to him and we wouldn't have missed the plane!

What is one thing that fans would love to know about Bryan?
One thing I think fans would like to know about Bryan is he is an excellent father to his nine-year-old son, Gabe. It has been a real challenge having a son who is Autistic, and being a divorced dad, but Bryan has been incredible. He has Gabe 5-6 days a week, and he has turned their home into a terrific boys' playground! They have a basketball court, a pool, a Jacuzzi, and lots of Playstation video games! They cook out together, play with the dogs, and have a ball. Bryan also coaches Gabe's basketball and football teams, and they love going to Laker games together. I remember one Saturday, Bryan phoned to tell me he'd just had one of the best nights of his life. I thought for sure he was going to tell me a story about a night at the Playboy mansion, but instead he told me how he and Gabe had gone to a Lakers game and how they ate hot dogs, shouted at the ref and talked over all the plays together after the game. I was really touched at how much he loves his son and how he counted a night with his child as one of the best nights of his life.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

Yup, just fell in love with Bryan Datillo all over again! Sounds like such a nice guy! Love how his mom talks about him...she sounds really proud.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Aw so sweet and he favors her too...nice blog

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Great interview! Thanks for posting. :)

aimees76
Member Avatar

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Love him.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Great article. He seems so warm to his family. He sounds like an outstanding father.

mirabella

Alligato
May 6 2009, 06:42 PM
Yup, just fell in love with Bryan Datillo all over again! Sounds like such a nice guy! Love how his mom talks about him...she sounds really proud.
Ditto! :wub: He does sound like a nice guy, very down to earth, and a wonderful father.

Thanks for posting a great interview.

MericP
Member Avatar

I love him. :sigh:

mesagirl
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting this. Great read. I think Bryan's a pretty amazing guy. :rockon:

lastDays
Member Avatar

Wow! He such such a cute,adorable looking kid :wub:

pspcindy
Member Avatar

What a lovely interview.

thanks for sharing that with us Ellie!

berlingirl
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting the interview. He does look like his mom. I think that it is great he is still close to his family and a great dad.

MericP
Member Avatar

LOL. I didn't even look at the pictures, but yeah, he definately looks like her!

ilovemydays

Thanks for sharing Ellie. It was a very sweet interview.

Daysfan2202

Bryan is just so awesome and seems very nice. Thanks for posting.

carlypvee

He seems like such a good guy! Thanks for posting, Ellie.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply