Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD online interview with Rachel Melvin
Topic Started: May 7 2009, 12:57 PM (978 Views)
Ellie

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/features/days-of-our-lives/interviews/melvin_says_so_long_to_salem/

Melvin Says So Long To Salem
By Stephanie Sloane

DAYS's Rachel Melvin (Chelsea) bid farewell to Salem on May 6, but she'll be back to wrap up Max's storyline later this month. The actress spoke to Digest about her "final" days on set.

Soap Opera Digest: How does it feel to be leaving the show?
Melvin: It's very bittersweet. There was a lot of buildup for me leaving this had been in the back of my mind for a year, it had been official for a month and now it was final. I think that the fact that I didn't know when I would act professionally again was kind of haunting and scary and at the end of the day, that's what made the final scenes more emotional. Plus, I was saying good-bye to people I had been working with for so long. I'm a believer that anyone you would miss, you'll keep in touch with them, so that's what I plan to do. But I may never be playing Chelsea ever again and it's saying good-bye to that character. I was on the show for four years. It's like I was graduating from high school again.

Digest: Looking back, can you believe it's been four years?
Melvin: The last four years were fun and I lived in the moment and I appreciated it when it happened, and now it's over and it's like, "Holy crap. Those four years flew by." You try not to dwell on it, but it was super-fun and I learned a lot. I grew as an actor and learned the business and made relationships.

Digest: What was your final scene with Peter Reckell (Bo) like?
Melvin: My last scene with Peter was a little difficult because it was almost like a kid going off to college because I was super-excited and Peter was not. This is my observation, which could be inaccurate, but I think he was sad in the last scene and I don't think he wanted to show it or for me to see it. He's kind of like my dad in real life. Peter was awesome. He always said such nice things to me. He's happy for me, but we're going to miss working together because we had a special something.

Digest: What will you miss the most?
Melvin: I definitely think I'll miss working every day. I'm kind of a workaholic. It's easy to fall into the laziness of sleeping till noon every day and it annoys me. I like to have to wake up to go to work.

Digest: What is is like to audition again?
Melvin: It's weird, Blake Berris [ex-Nick] and I were talking about how you leave a soap and you think, "I was a working actor for four consecutive years and I'm conditioned on a daily basis and I've done the hardest parts of acting there is," which is working on daytime, and you go in to the audition room with, for lack of a better word, a little cockiness. I think the audition process is fun and daytime really helps to prepare you for that. I didn't feel like I had an amazing pilot season, but I auditioned for four movies between the months of January and March and out of those four, I met with all of the producers. I was put on hold for three out of those four and one of the three, I was cast. It's an independent movie that's really cool. It's supposed to film next month. I'm really excited about it.

Digest: What have you done since leaving?
Melvin: I moved into Los Angeles and I am so much happier on this side of the world. But now I have to budget, which sucks [laughs].

Digest: Any final thoughts?
Melvin: I am so appreciative to Ken [Corday, executive producer] and [Former Casting Director] Fran Bascom. I had an amazing time the last four years and I am nothing but grateful for everything I learned and for Ken's generosity in letting me go and offering a position to come back if that should be the case.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MericP
Member Avatar

I hope she does well outside of soaps. :) She's such a talent...I hate that she had to leave. :(

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Thanks for posting, Ellie! I wasn't much of a Chelsea fan but I do like RM and wish her well. Nice to see her comment about Blake Berris. Hopefully she'll get work in something else soon.

Bradyclan

Great read. Thanks for posting.

Chelsea was one of my fave characters mainly due to Rachel Melvin.
She is a great talent and one of the best younger actresses Days had in awhile.It's cool that she's keeping in touch with Blake ( another great young talent...). I hope she does well while selfishly, I hope she comes back one day.

It's a shame that Days never fully used her talents , same with Blake. They had an awesome younger couple with two of the best younger actors they had in awhile and they blew it. *sigh*

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Good interview. I think she was right that Peter Reckell was sad in that scene. I could see it. Kristian and Peter always seem sad when they lose one of their onscreen children.

She is so level-headed and boy has she matured. It's always wonderful reading her thoughts on everything. Glad she found some work to keep her going. I will have to keep an eye out and see when her film turns up.

So, Corday offered her a position already to come back? I still believe she will be back in a year. She said she wants to take the year and do other things and already indicated pilot season did not go well. Rachel is beautiful but she has a unique look and isn't the kind of actress that gets alot of offers in Hollywood. She is talented and I hope she does well but I still feel we will be seeing her in a year, especially with Corday telling her she has a place with the show. She basically has an open door to come back. I bet Darin Brooks is getting similar treatment.

berlingirl
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting. I wish her the very best. Yes Days is really losing a very talented actress.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I love her but is it just me or does this feel like her millionth exit interview?
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^It does but only because word of her exit broke so early. She gave them enough notice to write a proper exit. It always seems like when you quit you get the better exit because you can give them time for your sendoff. Plus, they still may give a damn about you. When they fire you, it's obvious that they did it for a reason. You don't have a place anymore and the exit is executed a little more on the show's terms.

Chelsea really did get the best exit of anyone in a long time. She got to say goodbye to everyone she should say goodbye too and her exit had a proper reason behind it.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, May 7 2009, 04:55 PM.

mandy

PhoenixRising05
May 7 2009, 04:03 PM
She is talented and I hope she does well but I still feel we will be seeing her in a year, especially with Corday telling her she has a place with the show. She basically has an open door to come back. I bet Darin Brooks is getting similar treatment.
I'd love to see both of them come back later on, but not as a couple. I've had to FF through enough of their scenes together already.

Bradyclan

mandy
May 7 2009, 05:04 PM
PhoenixRising05
She is talented and I hope she does well but I still feel we will be seeing her in a year, especially with Corday telling her she has a place with the show. She basically has an open door to come back. I bet Darin Brooks is getting similar treatment.
I'd love to see both of them come back later on, but not as a couple. I've had to FF through enough of their scenes together already.
I agree. I believe that if Chelsea comes back , they will break up Chex offscreen. No one is going to tell me that Chelsea will settle with Max for the long term. He will bore her to tears. Either Chelsea will turn up with an English man ( how about a Susan and Edmund child aka EJ's half brother) or they'll say that Abby broke them up in England. LOL.

EjsGaGirl
Member Avatar

Thanks...Rachel is very talented and she seems to have a good head on her shoulders..I wish her nothing but the best!!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Amello
May 7 2009, 04:39 PM
I love her but is it just me or does this feel like her millionth exit interview?
That's what I thought when I saw this too.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

mandy
May 7 2009, 05:04 PM
PhoenixRising05
Amen to that. And I still can't believe that out of all the couples who have left, it's Chex they bother to write in like that. Really?

Of course, I always preferred her with Nick but after Dan and Max, I'd be willing to watch her with anyone.

Of course, I'd love to see Nick come back too. Out of the three of them, I still think he's the most talented but for some reason the least appreciated.

Ives
Member Avatar

Bradyclan
May 7 2009, 03:14 PM

It's a shame that Days never fully used her talents , same with Blake. They had an awesome younger couple with two of the best younger actors they had in awhile and they blew it. *sigh*
I agree. I started watching Days again in Summer 2006 with S&K's return. The only younger couple that I have really felt invested in was Nick and Chelsea - mainly because of the actors themselves. They were probably the strongest actors of the younger set, including many of the 30-somethings. In addition, to the talent, I actually thought they had some great chemistry. They never felt forced - which is how I feel about 90% of the other younger couples.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Ives
May 8 2009, 09:51 AM
Bradyclan

I agree. I started watching Days again in Summer 2006 with S&K's return. The only younger couple that I have really felt invested in was Nick and Chelsea - mainly because of the actors themselves. They were probably the strongest actors of the younger set, including many of the 30-somethings. In addition, to the talent, I actually thought they had some great chemistry. They never felt forced - which is how I feel about 90% of the other younger couples.
What kills me is how Chick wound up getting backburned so Stax (STAX!) could be put front and center. They got a lot of the story I wanted for Chick, an adventure story at the end of TTS and then Stephanie getting jealous of Max and Morgan (who were the better couple IMO). Not to mention the endless love scenes while Chick got none, zero, nothing. And though I do like SH fairly well, I admit her talent is lacking and I always felt that SH and DB together were boring because of their limitations. They both have this urge to overact in dramatic moments. But BB and RM knew how to balance that.

Oh well, it's done, I guess. As I was telling others, there is a special word I've been using for the bitterness Days gives me on lost opportunites or poor storyline decisions. Days Bitterness = Dittered. Totally works for me.

Bradyclan

Tripp
May 8 2009, 08:38 PM
Ives
May 8 2009, 09:51 AM
Bradyclan

What kills me is how Chick wound up getting backburned so Stax (STAX!) could be put front and center. They got a lot of the story I wanted for Chick, an adventure story at the end of TTS and then Stephanie getting jealous of Max and Morgan (who were the better couple IMO). Not to mention the endless love scenes while Chick got none, zero, nothing. And though I do like SH fairly well, I admit her talent is lacking and I always felt that SH and DB together were boring because of their limitations. They both have this urge to overact in dramatic moments. But BB and RM knew how to balance that.

Oh well, it's done, I guess. As I was telling others, there is a special word I've been using for the bitterness Days gives me on lost opportunites or poor storyline decisions. Days Bitterness = Dittered. Totally works for me.
You know it's not so much that Stax was in the forefront . It's more the fact that the characters of Max, Jeremy and Jett backburned Nick. It's a shame since most of these characters were a bust.

Chelsea has always been more in the forefront compared to Steph or any other girl.

It's a shame that they wasted time on Jett/Jeremy. Especially,Jett with Chelsea. It took time away from Chick. You know I always thought that there was more potential to a Jeremy/Chelsea/Nick triangle. The actor that played Jeremy wasn't solid ( he did get better near the end of his run) but I thought the few scenes he had with RM , there was a little something. Also, Nick /Jeremy were cousins and had good chemistry .

But, they wasted Jeremy on Steph. And Jett was just a loser. They got all the couples wrong that summer. *sigh*

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Bradyclan
May 8 2009, 09:42 PM
You know it's not so much that Stax was in the forefront . It's more the fact that the characters of Max, Jeremy and Jett backburned Nick. It's a shame since most of these characters were a bust.

Chelsea has always been more in the forefront compared to Steph or any other girl.

It's a shame that they wasted time on Jett/Jeremy. Especially,Jett with Chelsea. It took time away from Chick. You know I always thought that there was more potential to a Jeremy/Chelsea/Nick triangle. The actor that played Jeremy wasn't solid ( he did get better near the end of his run) but I thought the few scenes he had with RM , there was a little something. Also, Nick /Jeremy were cousins and had good chemistry .

But, they wasted Jeremy on Steph. And Jett was just a loser. They got all the couples wrong that summer. *sigh*
True. I guess I should have just said BB got backburned starting fall of 2007. RM, DB and SH were all featured for the sorority storyline and though I understood why it was important that Nick not be around given he was going to be the moral voice in their corpse burying crime, it still didn't mean he had to be totally MIA for all of Salem. He's a Horton and there was no reason he couldn't have talked to anyone else in town including Maggie, Lucas, and Hope whom he is all related to.

As for the Jett, MP is probably the worst actor I've ever seen on this show, and that's saying a lot. I agree there was more potential in a Jeremy/Chelsea/Nick triangle, especially a story where Chelsea is still attracted to that "bad guy hunk" like Jeremy, so she dumps Nick to date him, only to realize he's actually bad news. Plus she misses Nick. I also always wanted Nick to play hard to get with Chelsea, we almost got that for 5 whole minutes when they thought about Mick but of course that would have meant Molly Burnett remain in a love story with a character close to her own age.

I liked TD, I'm one of the few. Well, I take that back, once they had him start treating Stephanie quite badly, he totally got interesting. I wasn't fond of him at the beginning because of the annoying frat boy thing however many cried fowl that Mike and Robin would have raised a jerk like him while I had no issues that a good looking son of two successful doctors would be a spoiled jerk who thinks he's entitled to the easy road. His abusing Stephanie would have made an interesting story but they dropped that quickly too, I got rather excited thinking it could tie into restablishing Stephanie with her father who would no doubt have major issues seeing his daughter repeating patterns his mother went through. What I did find absolutely ridiculous is that three people who came from three core families in Salem would wind up meeting in Ohio.

As for the chemistry of Jeremy/Nick, I really didn't expect it but that odd couple thing worked well. Loved their bantering and it was also close to showing how Nick can't turn his back on anyone who needs him, even a jerk like Jeremy.

Well, what can I say? *dittered*
Edited by Tripp, May 8 2009, 10:43 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply