Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: I've got Stephanie! *UPDATED*; May 26th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: May 13 2009, 11:10 AM (3,547 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOW features interviews with James Scott and Shelley Hennig.

Scott explains that the Kiriakis family has taken EJ's father, they're asking him to sign over his business, and EJ "doesn't have a lot to come back at them." So, "[EJ] takes the one thing Philip loves more than anything in the world", and EJ hopes this will convince them to return Stefano.

Meanwhile, Stephanie wakes up in a morgue drawer. Hennig explains that Stephanie "freaks out". Stephanie wakes up and doesn't know where she is. Then suddenly, she sees daylight and she sees Owen. She recognizes him from the Kiriakis house, and after a moment, she realizes she has been kidnapped.

Owen takes Stephanie's picture and sends it to EJ. EJ sees Philip on the pier, and EJ tells Philip that he's taken Stephanie. Scott explains that "Philip has a fairly large ego and is a pretty smart guy, but his initial assumption is that EJ is BS-ing him."

Philip tells EJ that the feud is between them and not their loved ones, but EJ does not agree. EJ shows Philip Stephanie's picture on the cell phone. He tells Philip that Stefano must be released.

Philip meets with Victor, and he begs him to "release Stef for Steph", as SOW puts it. Meanwhile, at the morgue, Stephanie realizes that Owen has a crush on her, and she convinces him to let her out of the drawer. Then, she knees him in the groin and tries to escape. However, before she can leave, her cell phone rings. Stephanie doesn't know who's calling, but it's EJ. Hennig explains that "Owen doesn't know who's hearing Stephanie on that phone, so he grabs her and grabs the phone and she gets away."

Stephanie runs outside and Owen catches up with her, but as they're struggling, she falls and hits her head. Owen brings her back in the morgue and puts her back in a drawer. When she wakes up again, there is no air in the drawer, and she hyperventilates. She faints, and Owen finds her in time to revive her.

Victor agrees to release Stefano, but then Owen begins to rethink things. Hennig says that "he's a pawn", and that Stephanie "can tell he doesn't want to hurt her, because he hasn't hurt her already."

EJ waits at a predesignated meeting spot, but Owen has another plan...

Additional information from the SOD article:

- After the events detailed in the SOW article, EJ feels guilty about taking Stephanie, and he confides in Nicole. James Scott tells SOD that "first of all, she's going to find out anyway," and that EJ is not proud of what he's done. Scott explains that when EJ ordered the shooting of Philip, EJ was doing that on the assumption that Philip was responsible for Tony's death. But here, EJ has ordered Stephanie kidnapped, and she's an innocent party, so this "sits differently on his conscience".

Edited by Ellie, May 14 2009, 05:19 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I like that Stephanie is being proactive. I still feel like the character has potential if they would just give her something to do instead of be arm candy, and this seems like a small step in the right direction.

Note to JS: Stephanie is a person, not an object.

Why does Philip think EJ is BS'ing him? Isn't he wondering where Stephanie is? Also, didn't he just get shot at and nearly smothered? And doesn't he know Victor took Stefano? I know he knows EJ isn't Mr. Upstanding Citizen and All Around Good Guy (he's been wearing black lately, that's how I know). I love Philip but where is his brain?

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree with Paxton. It's good that Stephanie fights back and tries to escape. They really need to bring out the feisty side if she is ever going to be the heroine they want her to be.

This all sounds very good, Can't wait!

Ives
Member Avatar

OMG -

Now I am dying to see Steve back on canvas. Since the show wanted to whitewash EJ's fast food redemption, Steve was never allowed to seek any vengeance on EJ for electroshocking and torturing him in the asylum, ordering him to kill Bo, kidnapping him away from Kayla during the deprogramming, ordering him to steal John from the hospital, etc.

It would have been great to see Steve at least have a chance to seek some payback for Stephanie's kidnapping.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

I agree that it's good that Stephanie is showing a bit of back bone. This sounds very much to me like they are heading toward a triangle with Philip/Stephanie/Owen because we know that Dena just can't write it if it's not a triangle. :eyeroll:

daysfan
Member Avatar

This all sounds amazing! I AM LOVING Days right now! It hasn't been this good for me since...well I don't know when, I think its even to the point where its better than Hogan's reign.

The lack of Steve and Kayla, at a time like this, IS frusterating though.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree. The Steve and Kayla stuff is such a big elephant in the room. I can't believe they got rid of them knowing full well where they were going with all this. The show did good working around their absences yesterday but this whole kidnapping thing is going to really make it noticeable.

I love Steve and Kayla and is mean as this sounds...I almost wish the show would kill them off offscreen and send Joe to live with Jack and Jennifer or something. I know that would even more of a horrible disrespect to the characters but at least that would provide some closure and that thread would no longer be out there because as long as Steve and Kayla are out there, in Salem or not, there is no way they would not be involved in this. No way. They would have to be dead not to be.

The show should just bring them back and lessen their guarantees like they did Peter and Kristian.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
May 13 2009, 11:43 AM
I agree. The Steve and Kayla stuff is such a big elephant in the room. I can't believe they got rid of them knowing full well where they were going with all this. The show did good working around their absences yesterday but this whole kidnapping thing is going to really make it noticeable.

I love Steve and Kayla and is mean as this sounds...I almost wish the show would kill them off offscreen and send Joe to live with Jack and Jennifer or something. I know that would even more of a horrible disrespect to the characters but at least that would provide some closure and that thread would no longer be out there because as long as Steve and Kayla are out there, in Salem or not, there is no way they would not be involved in this. No way. They would have to be dead not to be.

The show should just bring them back and lessen their guarantees like they did Peter and Kristian.
EXACTLY! I have been fine with Steve/Kayla not being around.....but with how much Steve loves Stephanie(and has been shown to hate the DiMera's and owuld do anything to protect his daughter), it doesn't make sense for them not to be here....and it would make the plot so much more complex and interesting if they got involved with the feud at this point.

But ah well.....the one thing that this regime needs to learn to do is just make the absence of characters a little bit more...explainable. The absence of Anna for months and months and months while Tony was around was jarring too....sometimes it would be okay, but then other times it wouldn't make sense, like how they just brought her back for one day after he died(which IS better than nothing, I'll admit.), and now we're going through something similar with Steve and Kayla.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Yes, the more front and central of a role Stephanie takes, the more the absence of her parents becomes glaring. She's not just in a big story, she's a DiMera victim and she's engaged to a Kirakis and her parents are just . . . what? Too busy going to Costco or playing tennis or something? They need to be explained to be somewhere very very remote with no phones or other way to communicate, otherwise it just seems so unworkably stupid.

esp13
Member Avatar

I can't support the idea of killing Steve and Kayla offscreen (or onscreen for that matter), so ixnay on that idea. The easiest way to do this would have been for them to send Steve and Kayla out of Salem permanently (with an actual goodbye) when the fired SN and MBE. It doesn't really matter where, but Europe seems a popular choice. Let it have something to do with Kayla's career (big research project or something).

We all know that if Stephanie were in trouble, Steve and Kayla would be back in a heartbeat, but we also know that "out of town" relatives never show up in situations we know they would. We're used to that and despite the occassional bitchfest about it, it's pretty routinely accepted (i.e. the reason Brady wasn't at John's "funeral" or why Frankie wasn't at OMB's funeral). Plus, there is the added benefit of being able to fanwank that they aren't getting the whole story over the phone, so they don't know just how bad things are, etc., etc.

Based on what has been said lately, it appears that the show has in fact shifted to the "Steve and Kayla are out of town at least semi-permanently" mode. I can live with it (don't like it, but can live with it), but it would have been much better if they had just done that from the beginning.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Well, IMO, what would have been best(sorta similar to what esp was saying) is to just move them out of town...I mean, it would make more sense if they were actually LIVING out of Salem...what makes it so jarring is the fact that Steve and Kayla are supposedly living in Salem, but always on trips...I mean, if everything was realistic, after Stephanie gets out of this, they'd be there 24/7 because she's in danger.

I mean, they'd rush back there even if they lived in another town, but it would be the lesser of two evils...they should've just sent them to LA to live with Kim or something.

Instead, it seems they just sent them to the post office where Don Craig supposedly lives. :p

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Or they at least could have used them separately. Just a total lack of planning. If they mapped out this SL, they could have used SN's days to do this SL.
This was the SL that they should have brough back S&K! With all the years Steve and Vic hating each other, now for his baby girl to be marrying into that family...then Steve could of helped Vic try and find out where EJ/Owen took Stephanie. It would of been great!
I do really like this new piece of this SL- Owen having his own plans....keeps me interested and wondering what he plans on doing and the aftermath. That'll probably be where his dad comes in the story.
Liz
Edited by Liz<3Days, May 13 2009, 12:03 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

esp13
May 13 2009, 11:54 AM
I can't support the idea of killing Steve and Kayla offscreen (or onscreen for that matter), so ixnay on that idea. The easiest way to do this would have been for them to send Steve and Kayla out of Salem permanently (with an actual goodbye) when the fired SN and MBE. It doesn't really matter where, but Europe seems a popular choice. Let it have something to do with Kayla's career (big research project or something).

We all know that if Stephanie were in trouble, Steve and Kayla would be back in a heartbeat, but we also know that "out of town" relatives never show up in situations we know they would. We're used to that and despite the occassional bitchfest about it, it's pretty routinely accepted (i.e. the reason Brady wasn't at John's "funeral" or why Frankie wasn't at OMB's funeral). Plus, there is the added benefit of being able to fanwank that they aren't getting the whole story over the phone, so they don't know just how bad things are, etc., etc.

Based on what has been said lately, it appears that the show has in fact shifted to the "Steve and Kayla are out of town at least semi-permanently" mode. I can live with it (don't like it, but can live with it), but it would have been much better if they had just done that from the beginning.
I don't mind the out of town idea but, in this case, I think it would still be just as bad. I don't like the idea of killing them either but it's the only way to explain why they wouldn't be here.

Usually, the out of town excuse would be used for such things as weddings and such. However, when your daughter gets kidnapped and is part of a feud with two powerful men who have put you through hell, it really doesn't make sense if your not there. That is the problem they face. I don't remember there ever being a case like Stephanie on the show where the parents are MIA yet it's hard to buy them not being there. All the other times the parents were either presumed dead or actually dead LOL.

They should've gotten some sort of an exit but if they weren't going to involve them in this, then they should've come up with a reasonable way to explain it. Killing one or both of them off sounds harsh but at least there would be closure and there would be a reasonable explanation. Hell, if you got rid of one, you only had to bring one back. Again, don't like the idea but it's better then this where it makes Steve and Kayla look like they are neglecting her or something.

It just burns me that Corday said that he wanted to keep them but there just wasn't story. Uhh...what is this? This is the perfect story to utilize them in. What a moron. The least they could do is bring them back for like 6 months or something just to play all this out and play some history with Steve/Kayla and the Kiriakis family. It does seem like they are hinting that they are out of town but that just makes it worse.

esp13
Member Avatar

Sorry Tim, I don't care how unrealistic it is for the current story, I can't agree that killing Steve or Kayla is the better way to go, I just can't. And yes, this is a little different in the "out of town" relatives department, but hardly unprecedented. Remember that Billie didn't make it to Salem when Chelsea was going under the knife for Bo's operation. Is that "realistic?" We know she'd be there in a heartbeat.

Josh and Jessica Fallon couldn't make it to Salem when Nick was arrested and sentenced and they aren't presumed dead that I know about. Nicole got married and none of her family showed up. Chloe got married and, as far as we know, her family hasn't visited. And yes, none of those situations are exactly the same, but the point is that we -- as fans -- understand how things work when relatives are "out of town." Sure, it stretches on the bounds of credibility (sometimes to their breaking limit) but it's part of how things work on a soap.

Now, I would much, much prefer if Steve and Kayla were simply actually onscreen and involved in this storyline, but failing that, sending them out of town BEFORE all of this happened would have worked much better.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

esp13
May 13 2009, 12:16 PM
Sorry Tim, I don't care how unrealistic it is for the current story, I can't agree that killing Steve or Kayla is the better way to go, I just can't. And yes, this is a little different in the "out of town" relatives department, but hardly unprecedented. Remember that Billie didn't make it to Salem when Chelsea was going under the knife for Bo's operation. Is that "realistic?" We know she'd be there in a heartbeat.

Josh and Jessica Fallon couldn't make it to Salem when Nick was arrested and sentenced and they aren't presumed dead that I know about. Nicole got married and none of her family showed up. Chloe got married and, as far as we know, her family hasn't visited. And yes, none of those situations are exactly the same, but the point is that we -- as fans -- understand how things work when relatives are "out of town." Sure, it stretches on the bounds of credibility (sometimes to their breaking limit) but it's part of how things work on a soap.

Now, I would much, much prefer if Steve and Kayla were simply actually onscreen and involved in this storyline, but failing that, sending them out of town BEFORE all of this happened would have worked much better.
Just for the record, I don't want them to kill them. I just would prefer it over this crap LOL.

The Bo/Chelsea thing happened pretty fast. They found out that Chelsea was a donor and then rushed her right into surgery so there was no way for Billie to make it back since they didn't know about Chelsea's involvement until the last minute. We barely saw Nick or heard about him once he was arrested. We simply saw him in jail and didn't see him again until his hearing so I think what that does is allow the viewer to imagine that in all that time Josh and Jessica could've came to visit their son. I know that is a stretch but with most of Nick's situation playing offscreen prior to his exit, it would be considered possible to some. Not to mention I doubt many current fans even know they are. They pretty much think of Maggie as his only real parent, even if she is his aunt, so I think the show was set up not to have too many issues with that one. They did mention Fay Walker when Nicole got married but Fay would never be at the wedding anyway. Nicole and her hate each other. Brandon was mentioned and probably would've been there but, again, that speaks to what I said. The "out of town" excuse works for weddings because there are times when people, even family, can't make a wedding and Brandon is not a big fan of the Dimera's anyway and I'm sure he didn't want to come into town and stir up drama with Sami and others so I can see why he would stay away. Chloe eloped so there was no way of her parents being there.

So, most of those situations were passable and made sense. It's a little different when your daughter is in a situation like Stephanie's, especially when Victor and Stefano, two people Steve and Kayla have tons of history with, are involved. To be fair, the show has played it out ok so far but I just know it's going to be harder and harder to deal with as we go along. I think it can be helped if they give Stephanie more scenes with Bo, Hope, and Caroline. Maybe have one of them say that Steve and Kayla are being kept up to date because Kayla can't leave for some reason and maybe have a line where Bo says that Steve put him in charge of watching over her. Something like that would help a bit.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, May 13 2009, 12:27 PM.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
May 13 2009, 12:26 PM
esp13

Just for the record, I don't want them to kill them. I just would prefer it over this crap LOL.

The Bo/Chelsea thing happened pretty fast. They found out that Chelsea was a donor and then rushed her right into surgery so there was no way for Billie to make it back since they didn't know about Chelsea's involvement until the last minute. We barely saw Nick or heard about him once he was arrested. We simply saw him in jail and didn't see him again until his hearing so I think what that does is allow the viewer to imagine that in all that time Josh and Jessica could've came to visit their son. I know that is a stretch but with most of Nick's situation playing offscreen prior to his exit, it would be considered possible to some. Not to mention I doubt many current fans even know they are. They pretty much think of Maggie as his only real parent, even if she is his aunt, so I think the show was set up not to have too many issues with that one. They did mention Fay Walker when Nicole got married but Fay would never be at the wedding anyway. Nicole and her hate each other. Brandon was mentioned and probably would've been there but, again, that speaks to what I said. The "out of town" excuse works for weddings because there are times when people, even family, can't make a wedding and Brandon is not a big fan of the Dimera's anyway and I'm sure he didn't want to come into town and stir up drama with Sami and others so I can see why he would stay away. Chloe eloped so there was no way of her parents being there.

So, most of those situations were passable and made sense. It's a little different when your daughter is in a situation like Stephanie's, especially when Victor and Stefano, two people Steve and Kayla have tons of history with, are involved. To be fair, the show has played it out ok so far but I just know it's going to be harder and harder to deal with as we go along. I think it can be helped if they give Stephanie more scenes with Bo, Hope, and Caroline. Maybe have one of them say that Steve and Kayla are being kept up to date because Kayla can't leave for some reason and maybe have a line where Bo says that Steve put him in charge of watching over her. Something like that would help a bit.
I see both your points here...I just think it would be a TAD more plausible if Steve and Kayla actually moved out of town instead of being on vacation....I mean maybe they were doing something in another town/state/country that they literally couldn't come back to Salem out of obligation to that or whatever, no matter how much they want to.

That still would be weird but I just think anything is better than them simply vanishing and being mentioned to be on vacation all the time...Days needs to learn how to properly handle exits. Don Craig is supposedly STILL mailing that letter....Jan Spears is STILL lying comatose on a bed in University Hospital somewhere....and then other people have just fallen off the face of the Eart...it really is ridiculous.

Edit: Oh, and of course one of the most glaring ones now days is Kristen being in that dungeon even after EJ was obviously discovered by Stefano, and Susan's fate being totally unknown...BIG confusion and craziness there, so my point remains.
Edited by daysfan, May 13 2009, 12:39 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
May 13 2009, 12:33 PM
PhoenixRising05
esp13

I see both your points here...I just think it would be a TAD more plausible if Steve and Kayla actually moved out of town instead of being on vacation....I mean maybe they were doing something in another town/state/country that they literally couldn't come back to Salem out of obligation to that or whatever, no matter how much they want to.

That still would be weird but I just think anything is better than them simply vanishing and being mentioned to be on vacation all the time...Days needs to learn how to properly handle exits. Don Craig is supposedly STILL mailing that letter....Jan Spears is STILL lying comatose on a bed in University Hospital somewhere....and then other people have just fallen off the face of the Eart...it really is ridiculous.
Well, as esp pointed out, they are hinting now that they are basically out of town but it would be nice for them to just go all the way and sat it LOL.

I think Days handles exits like this because they actually think the fans will stick around and hope their faves pop up again. I think they bank on the unspoiled people and people who don't read the mags or net because some of them may still think Steve and Kayla are still on the show, especially given their airtime last year LOL.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
May 13 2009, 12:38 PM
daysfan
May 13 2009, 12:33 PM
PhoenixRising05
esp13

Well, as esp pointed out, they are hinting now that they are basically out of town but it would be nice for them to just go all the way and sat it LOL.

I think Days handles exits like this because they actually think the fans will stick around and hope their faves pop up again. I think they bank on the unspoiled people and people who don't read the mags or net because some of them may still think Steve and Kayla are still on the show, especially given their airtime last year LOL.
That wouldn't surprise me....I mean, with 3/4 of the people on Days, for fans who just watch the show and don't look at any boards or read any magazines, some may probably think that Don, Neil Curtis, or hell Jamie Caldwell are still on the show and just haven't popped up in awhile....I mean really, over half of the characters technically still live in Salem.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Killing Steve and/or Kayla off-screen to make this story work... is like amputating your arm because you have a papercut. Creates more problems than it solves, like why Stephanie would be focusing on Philip and the feud and not spending time with her brother or the surviving parent. I think soap audiences are used to accepting that people who are out of town are off canvas. If they really needed them to be inaccessible, they could have sent them to Africa, since that's where Kayla was going to go before Steve came back.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

daysfan
May 13 2009, 11:38 AM
The lack of Steve and Kayla, at a time like this, IS frusterating though.
I agree, I didn't think I would miss S&K as much as I do. They SHOULD be a part of this storyline, not just because of Stephanie but also because of their own history with Victor and Stefano.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply