Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week of 5/18 - 5/22
Topic Started: May 17 2009, 02:29 PM (4,201 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Days of Our Lives
Week of 5/18 - 5/22

Discuss. :smile:

Classic Clip: John and Isabella getting to know Victor (1990)

Victor wants to get to know Isabella more so he invites her and Roman to Dinner.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

That had to have been John's best year for his mullet. Love love love him mocking Victor's way of saying Kiriakis.

<3 Isabella <3 <3 Victor <3

And Sarah Horton? Wow!!! I didn't realize Christie Clark was in the role that long. Damn.

Good pick, Rhi!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

That brings back memories.

I miss Isabella but her death was one of the most heartbreaking and memorable moments in Days history IMO and that was some of Drake's best acting IMO. I always liked the Victor/Isabella and John/Victor dynamic too, especially back then.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I loved "Izzy-B!" I agree that the whole death of Isabella SL was a great SL for Days.
Liz

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

PhoenixRising05
May 18 2009, 12:00 AM
That brings back memories.

I miss Isabella but her death was one of the most heartbreaking and memorable moments in Days history IMO and that was some of Drake's best acting IMO. I always liked the Victor/Isabella and John/Victor dynamic too, especially back then.
ITA. Isabella's death and John holding a dead Isabella is my first memory of the show.

esp13
Member Avatar

It's kind of ironic because it's my last memory of the show until 2006 (with the exception of things that I caught glimpses of here and there in the intervening years). I pretty much left after their wedding in May of 1992, but watched off and on for a little while afterwards. Isabella's death is the last thing I really remember watching before my long hiatus from the show.

Keith
Member Avatar

Oh, I loved Isabella! Her death was so beautifully done and their love story, though short, was the only story I could have bought as John moving from Marlena. As Roman, he had other relationships, but Isabella is the only one that could have ever come close to the kind of connection he had with Marlena. Short-lived as it was, their union created multiple, lasting connections, though they're dwindling, including the Brady-Victor relationship, which I've more or less always loved.

It's summer, so I'm home and I'm watching. I'm not sure what I think about everything yet.

I nearly cracked up laughing at hearing Sami "lose her voice" in a shouting match with EJ. Ali is so loud as Sami, its a wonder this doesn't happen more often. Poor Ali for actually losing her voice, but that was a cute way to write it in.

EJ was scary when she broke that phone. I like EJ scary. Dark is a good color on him, and I'm not just talking about his wardrobe. And damn was I about as happy to see him scary as to see Sami fiercely in his face! That's the Sami we need more of!

I have no sense of what Rafe is, so I could care less about their coupling. I'll get back to you if Rafe finds a purpose besides kissing Sami's ass.

Philip has not really improved from his days on Tinda Lau, or whatever that stupid island was. The flashback of him screaming at Stephanie made him seem like a child. Maybe that's the point, but it annoys me, because Johnson's gorgeous and charismatic enough to rival Scott's EJ, but the character doesn't have nearly the maturity to do it.

Owen's one of the most interesting new male characters I've seen in a long time. I loved the fear of discovery, how it subsided, and then he realized her earring was gone. Why hello attention to detail! I don't think I've seen something like that on a soap in a decade.

Arianna and Brady were interesting. I liked their scene at the end today. She and Rafe haven't seemed to click yet; they don't have natural sibling chem like Peter and Mary Beth did (they're the only recent on-screen sibling pair I can think of O.o) and it bugs me. But Eric really showed a different side of himself being flirtatious as Brady in the scene with Arianna. I see some potential and for once, its not because its being force fed to me. Its simply the idea of possibility.

Meanwhile, Stephanie's the most interesting she's ever been. She and Chloe should both be in extended comatose storylines.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Keith
May 18 2009, 01:23 PM
Philip has not really improved from his days on Tinda Lau, or whatever that stupid island was. The flashback of him screaming at Stephanie made him seem like a child. Maybe that's the point, but it annoys me, because Johnson's gorgeous and charismatic enough to rival Scott's EJ, but the character doesn't have nearly the maturity to do it.

The problem isn't the character's backstory; the problem is that he's currently being written as having no history or life experiences prior to Stephanie. Given that they've never once mentioned Philip's prosthetic before or after he and Stephanie made love, I have to assume that's been retconned. I'm more than happy to ignore the stupid face transplant, but the leg loss, no, I'm not happy about that retconned.

Then, the other day, when he was talking to Stephanie about having lots of children, I was royally pissed that there was no mention of the baby he gave up (Tyler), nor how much he might want children after not only that but his having to acknowledge Claire was not his daughter. That was a LONG storyline, Philip refusing to give up on Belle and Claire, so why doesn't that play into his decision to propose to Stephanie and plan a family with her? And speaking of Belle, this is not Philip's first marriage--does it bother Stephanie that he's been divorced? Does it concern her that this is a man who once dangled a woman off the side of a cruise ship and threatened to drop her? Does she care that he slept with his ex-wife when she was engaged to his nephew?

The point is, there is a TON of stuff they could use to make Philip totally fascinating; the raw material is all right there, and JKJ can certainly make it work. But right now he's just this bland pussy of a victim, existing only to get shot at, nearly smothered, and now drugged so his fiancee can get kidnapped. Hot.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Paxton
May 18 2009, 03:07 PM
Keith

The problem isn't the character's backstory; the problem is that he's currently being written as having no history or life experiences prior to Stephanie. Given that they've never once mentioned Philip's prosthetic before or after he and Stephanie made love, I have to assume that's been retconned. I'm more than happy to ignore the stupid face transplant, but the leg loss, no, I'm not happy about that retconned.

Then, the other day, when he was talking to Stephanie about having lots of children, I was royally pissed that there was no mention of the baby he gave up (Tyler), nor how much he might want children after not only that but his having to acknowledge Claire was not his daughter. That was a LONG storyline, Philip refusing to give up on Belle and Claire, so why doesn't that play into his decision to propose to Stephanie and plan a family with her? And speaking of Belle, this is not Philip's first marriage--does it bother Stephanie that he's been divorced? Does it concern her that this is a man who once dangled a woman off the side of a cruise ship and threatened to drop her? Does she care that he slept with his ex-wife when she was engaged to his nephew?

The point is, there is a TON of stuff they could use to make Philip totally fascinating; the raw material is all right there, and JKJ can certainly make it work. But right now he's just this bland pussy of a victim, existing only to get shot at, nearly smothered, and now drugged so his fiancee can get kidnapped. Hot.
Great post! ICAM - there is SO much potential with Philip and his history. I have no idea why they seem intent on completely ignoring it. And JKJ certainly has the chops to pull it off, if they'd only write it for him. I despised Philip when he first returned from the ridiculous face transplant and launched on the whole story that led to the awful Tinda Lau - but that's a testament to JKJ's range, because I loved Philip not too long after that.

I still think that the hottest pairing he's had on the show thus far was with Martha Madison's Belle. It's a shame TPTB didn't have the courage to go through with that story - because it was smokin' hot in my opinion.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Keith
I have no sense of what Rafe is, so I could care less about their coupling. I'll get back to you if Rafe finds a purpose besides kissing Sami's ass.

If they want to pair Sami with a new guy, I'm okay with that, but I think this is why I just can't stand Safe.
Rafe's only purpose is to kiss Sami's ass. This woman is a train wreck, and not very nice to him, yet all he does is kiss her ass, promise he won't leave and will take care of her. Why? She hasn't really done anything nice to him, other than try to sex him up a couple of times. She really doesn't have anything to offer him.
This is making Rafe look so much worse than EJ did when all he did was kiss her ass!
Why do all of these men feel the need to kiss Sami's ass? She is the last person on the show who would wallow in self pity or be a victim, yet all of these guys (except Lucas) want to proclaim what a great mom she is and want to keep her safe/rescue her.

I just don't see anything in Sami's favor to make so many guys swoon over her, especially a good looking, really sweet dude like Rafe.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Paxton
But right now he's just this bland pussy of a victim, existing only to get shot at, nearly smothered, and now drugged so his fiancee can get kidnapped. .
Great point about Phillip. It is ridiculous at how many times this soldier has been pussified. Dude fought in Iraq twice and should be a tough cookie, but instead, he is getting hurt for some floosie or by some gardener. Lots of missed potential with Phillip.
Disappointing.

And Rhi, thanks for the Isabella clip. That was back in the day when I used to watch with my mom. I was so in love with John Black and his affection for IssyB. Great love story...admittedly better than Jarlena.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Owen is just awesome. Major kudos to Wes for turning what could easily be a one-note over the top character into really compelling television. And Gordon Thomson! OMG. He got old. He's not supposed to get old! Guess he hasn't gone crazy with the plastic surgery the way that Linda Evans and Joan Collins did so I just notice it more.

You know I really wanted to and am still trying to like this Arianna girl but... apologies to the actress... whatever nose job she has had just bothers the crap out of me. Sorry to be catty, but it just distracts me from her scenes. I wish it didn't because I think they are giving her things I want to hear said. Wonder why they didn't just bring on Lindsay Hartley and get it over with already when it looks like they're going to be pairing this girl with EM's Brady.

"Don't you ever ignore me like that again!" WTF was that? Dude just tried to snatch his phone back while the baby was crying and Sami grabs and hulk smashes it in her anger. Why was SHE ignoring her baby crying? I have seen some people make a big deal out of EJ telling Sami to leave and take her "little orphan" with her as if that was totally unforgivable or anywhere near the worst things these two have said to each other but given that the previous episode had Sami snarling venomously at EJ for even looking at Grace or breathing the same air as him and has led him to believe the kid is orphaned and given that he had been totally calm even in the face of Sami's crazy until she broke his phone and cut off his line of communication with Owen potentially resulting in Stefano's death, I didn't think it was that terrible. I mean earlier in the conversation Sami had accused of Ej of "ruining Johnny's life." Yeah, EJ is still being a dick over custody and keeping Sami in the dark about what is going on but Sami is still being a psycho bitch IMO. One who has STILL never explained to EJ why she crashed his and Nicole's wedding and doesn't think she ever has to explain herself, btw. Liked how the scene played when Ali lost her voice at the end. Wonder if she can use that in the future intentionally to add to her acting arsenal to rotate out that with the face crunch on occasion.

Why did Daniel come to the Kiriakis mansion? I guess he's buddy buddy with the Kiriakii and could have just been checking on Phillip's gunshot wounds, but I could have appreciated them explaining that a little bit more. And where the hell is Victor while Phillip is shouting like a crazy bastard at Stephanie, then collapsing with a huge thud on the floor or all the commotion is going on in the backyard with Stephanie's abduction. Turn up the hearing aid, Vic! Guess he's babysitting Stefano in the soundproof Kiriakii bunker?

Dammit Mia screw Brady's advice. Tell Will the truth already!

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Keith
Arianna and Brady were interesting. I liked their scene at the end today. She and Rafe haven't seemed to click yet; they don't have natural sibling chem like Peter and Mary Beth did (they're the only recent on-screen sibling pair I can think of O.o) and it bugs me. But Eric really showed a different side of himself being flirtatious as Brady in the scene with Arianna. I see some potential and for once, its not because its being force fed to me. Its simply the idea of possibility.

My opinions are the reverse of your, lol. I thought the dialogue for Rafe and Ariana as siblings was right on target in believability, not sure about their sibling chemistry yet but the actress playing Ariana is very natural while GG is his wooden self. I'm not feeling Brady and Ariana as a romantic couple. It feels forced; two people who can't stand each other but then fall in love, gmab, it's the same crap way they set up Safe in WP. It looks as though they are trying to capitalize on the look Ethan/Theresa/Passions had.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Paxton

I too was upset they didn't mention this or the whole thing about him having fertility issues, isn't he shooting blanks? might make having 7 kids a little difficult. I don't need them to run a list of misdeed for each of the character but to ignore all of them bugs me too, this would make for some interest into their pairing. It also bugs me a little too that Nicole doesn't know/acknowledge any of EJ history of what he did to Sami.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Alligato
May 18 2009, 03:50 PM
This woman is a train wreck, and not very nice to him, yet all he does is kiss her ass, promise he won't leave and will take care of her. Why? She hasn't really done anything nice to him, other than try to sex him up a couple of times. She really doesn't have anything to offer him.
This is making Rafe look so much worse than EJ did when all he did was kiss her ass!
Why do all of these men feel the need to kiss Sami's ass? She is the last person on the show who would wallow in self pity or be a victim, yet all of these guys (except Lucas) want to proclaim what a great mom she is and want to keep her safe/rescue her.

I just don't see anything in Sami's favor to make so many guys swoon over her, especially a good looking, really sweet dude like Rafe.
Never underestimate the power of sex, it's always a nice gesture.

and

Maybe she is a rockstar in the bedroom

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Alligato
May 18 2009, 03:55 PM
Paxton
But right now he's just this bland pussy of a victim, existing only to get shot at, nearly smothered, and now drugged so his fiancee can get kidnapped. .
Great point about Phillip. It is ridiculous at how many times this soldier has been pussified. Dude fought in Iraq twice and should be a tough cookie, but instead, he is getting hurt for some floosie or by some gardener. Lots of missed potential with Phillip.
Disappointing.
Phillip's always been kind of a wimp regardless of his offscreen military exploits.

He came on the scene having had the crap kicked out of him for his gambling problems, he was a pretty boy rich kid in high school further pussified to make Broe the rooting couple, he was cuckolded for YEARS by ex-wife Belle, he came back only to get his ass beat many times by Shawn in their fisticuffs. (Although mind you I haven't forgotten that ShawnDuh is also a quite pussified individual himself)

I personally would rather forget when Phillip tied up Mimi or dangled Willow over a boat because I didn't think it was in character without them explaining he had PTSD so I'm glad Stephanie knows nothing about it and it's not mentioned.

I do think it's interesting how little interference Chloe has had in this, guess she's too busy with Dan and Lucas to be bothered, and I do think it's interesting how Bo and Hope don't seem to be offering any sort of opinions on Stephanie and Phillip's relationship given their family ties and how Phillip and his family have managed to ruin Shawn's life on occasion (I mean Victor aside, Stephanie's got herself some crazyass mother-in-law if she goes through with this), but I guess that Bope being involved would just make Payla's absence more pronounced and Shawn can't be mention as the show wants to forget Shawn and Belle existed so they don't have to hear fans bitch as much about them being gone. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Really would LOVE it if the show found a way to bring back Belle right in time for this Phinie wedding. It'd be interesting to see if they made Belle the bad girl or gave Stephanie more spunk.

Alligato
Member Avatar

^LMAO, Halloween! When I was typing that part, it got me thinking that the only thing that could possibly make these guys swoon, especially Rafe, is that Sami is an animal in bed...eventhough he hasn't bedded her yet. Then again, EJ was chasing her for months and they didn't exactly have a great first time either. Maybe it is because she is blonde and has the in-your-face boobs. :)

I am looking forward to this "slam the phone down" Ejami scene! Could I hope that I can see some of the old chemistry there? Or is Sami just being an irrational pyscho idiot again? Or is that EJ?

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Good show today. I like how they slowly introducing us to Arianna and mixing her up in the scene rather than shoving her down our throats, like other shows do with newbies. I bought the scenes between her and Rafe as natural - given that they had a falling out a few years back, it seems natural that they should be a bit volatile/sparring in their verbiage. I hope the show doesnt forget to tell us why they fell out further down the line.

I quite like Owen, even with his Michael Bolton hair lol. And we saw Adam Carrington Gordon Thomson too. Wow he has aged. Was it just me, or did it look like Owen was towering above him? Now Owen's back story has got me piqued - curious to know more.

Phillip/Daniel was blah.

Sami and EJ were fierce! I normally hate scenes between the two of them, but they were great today. I hope this seals the deal that Sami is over EJ and moving on. This tetchy pragmatic tolerance of each other for the sake of Johnny (and Grace down the line) is a much better dynamic for them I think.

Mia is digging herself into a hole with Will. Well, at least it means Brady has a reason to contact Nicole now - those two havent shared a scene in a bit and I'm missing that - I love their chemistry.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Halloween Family
May 18 2009, 05:14 PM
Never underestimate the power of sex, it's always a nice gesture.

ROFL. So true!

IMA, I won't dispute (mainly because I was on a break from the show at the time so I couldn't even if I wanted to) Philip's loss in love at the hands of Brady, quite inexplicable to me because Kyle Lowder is teh fug as far as I'm concerned. However, I'd say Philip got his cuckolding revenge on Shawn Duh, and I will never not treasure their Brady pub throwdown, which ended with Philip repeatedly bashing Shawn's head into the bar and thus what I would characterize as a "win" for Phillip, though screwing Belle certainly wasn't. The fisticuffs begin at about 5:20:

I just think it's a shame to waste all the potential in Philip's history and pretend it all never happened. At a bare minimum the stuff about his prior marriage and his possible fertility issues should be explored as an issue, even if the leg is stupidly retconned. And there's just no way he should be Our Lady of Perpetual Victimhood. Moronic.

Southofsoap, no surprise I pretty much agree with you on everything. Except I never watched whatever shows Gordon Thompson was on so I have no feel on whether he's aged. I'll say that I've noticed WR is tall though so him towering wouldn't be surprising. Also, I'm not totally sure how I'm supposed to feel about Owen--total fruitcake, or redeemable fruitcake? Not sure yet.
Edited by Paxton, May 18 2009, 06:25 PM.

jane1978

Paxton
May 18 2009, 06:24 PM
I just think it's a shame to waste all the potential in Philip's history and pretend it all never happened. At a bare minimum the stuff about his prior marriage and his possible fertility issues should be explored as an issue, even if the leg is stupidly retconned. And there's just no way he should be Our Lady of Perpetual Victimhood. Moronic.
You have good point, but I really donīt see why Phillip should be talking about it just now. He is in love, he just got engaged and he was is still on cloud 9 hoping he finally found the right one. Thatīs hardly the best time to brought in his neverdying love for his ex-wife and her daughter.

Besides, they are not ignoring it. Steph admitted Phillip is a guy with a lot of baggage. Caroline reminded her he is much more experienced than her. Bo openly asked him about Belle and warned him if he ever hurts Steph the same way he will have to pay. And he himself warned Steph atleast 10 times his rapsheet regards women is not exactly clean.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply