Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Promo for wk of May 25th; Philip risks everything to rescue the love of his life.
Topic Started: May 22 2009, 04:31 PM (2,779 Views)
PHELLE FOREVER

ytumbler8
May 25 2009, 05:55 PM
Wes Fan
May 25 2009, 01:50 PM
As far as Stephanie goes, she'd be like third on the list of "loves" of Philip's life. Belle's #1, Chloe #2, and Steph a distant third.
i would have to disagree. i think it goes
1. stephanie
2. belle
distant 3. chloe

remember they were just friends with benefits.
Well, if you had been watching this show since 1999, you would know that Belle is the love of Philip's life and always will be. This has been evident since Belle and Philip were sorased to teenagers in 1999. You can't compare Philip/Stephanie being together for what 6 months "off and on", to the history that Philip and Belle have.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PHELLE FOREVER

Mason
May 25 2009, 06:04 PM
I wasn't a Phelle fan by any stretch of the imagination, but everyone and their blind dog knows that, if Belle came back into the picture and told Philip that she wanted to be with him, he'd forget about Stephanie in a New York minute. She's the Caroline to his Victor. I don't buy this insta-love with Philip and Stephanie, and I don't think too many other people do either.
Exactly! ;)

Wes Fan

PHELLE FOREVER
May 26 2009, 08:45 AM
ytumbler8
Wes Fan
May 25 2009, 01:50 PM
As far as Stephanie goes, she'd be like third on the list of "loves" of Philip's life. Belle's #1, Chloe #2, and Steph a distant third.
i would have to disagree. i think it goes
1. stephanie
2. belle
distant 3. chloe

remember they were just friends with benefits.
Well, if you had been watching this show since 1999, you would know that Belle is the love of Philip's life and always will be. This has been evident since Belle and Philip were sorased to teenagers in 1999. You can't compare Philip/Stephanie being together for what 6 months "off and on", to the history that Philip and Belle have.
I've been watching the show since 1966, longer than since 1999. The point is, he did love Chloe. I didn't say he didn't love Belle. He's loved her on and off all his life. The point is Stephanie is a distant third behind Belle and Chloe. It's only a matter of opinion that he didn't love Chloe. If you actually watched them together, he did love her.

PHELLE FOREVER

Wes Fan
May 26 2009, 09:31 AM
PHELLE FOREVER
ytumbler8

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
I've been watching the show since 1966, longer than since 1999. The point is, he did love Chloe. I didn't say he didn't love Belle. He's loved her on and off all his life. The point is Stephanie is a distant third behind Belle and Chloe. It's only a matter of opinion that he didn't love Chloe. If you actually watched them together, he did love her.
Well, I agree with you that he has loved both Belle and Chloe. I think that Chloe was his first love, but Belle is the "love of his life". I agree with you that it is in this order
1. Belle
2.Chloe
3, Stephanie
Regardless, the fact that DAYS is trying to sell us that Stephanie is the "love of Philip's life" is just laughable.

Manda1

Wes Fan
May 26 2009, 09:31 AM
PHELLE FOREVER
ytumbler8

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
ITA Phillip definitely loved Chloe and was devastated when she chose Brady. They were together from mid 1999-2002 - I know I was a big fan of the ugly duckling to swan romance. it was a little dysfunctional :lol: but it was real and way more convincing that what he has with Stephanie. I would definitely put her as a poor 3rd and that is because there has been so little screen time to really build this romance in comparison to the Phloe romance. JMO And Philip liked Chloe before she dressed up for that dance he was hanging around her every chance he got but pretending he wasn't interested publicly as he was very concious about his reputation and what Jan, Jason and Mimi would think of him at the beginning. I loved them despite all the dysfunction. :laugh: And I remember the Broe/Phloe fanbase wars! For me Philip was best when he was with Chloe. I was a Shelle fan then too so couldn't ever get behind Phelle. It was 'destiny' that Shelle sailed off into the sunset and was true to Belle and shawn's history for Belle to pick Shawn in the end. Philip was always second to Shawn in Belle's heart. Just my opinion of course.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I'm not convinced Philip's had a "love of his life" yet. I'd like to see him find someone now that he's an adult since I tend to have my doubts about the longevity of any love that started in high school. I'd also like to see Jay have chemistry with someone, and that person isn't Shelley IMO. I'd love for Philip to have a hot, amazing, grownup and totally reciprocal romance, but I'm starting to give up hope.

esp13
Member Avatar

I just want somebody to explain to me why Belle is the love of Philip's life, or better yet, if true, why that is a good thing? I find it sad that the alleged love of Philip's life is a woman who married him only because she thought she was pregnant with his kid, pined for another man the entire time they were married, couldn't wait to end their marriage when she found out her kid was not Philip's after all, and then jerked his feelings around a little more before she ultimately married the other guy. I think Philip deserves way better than that. And maybe that isn't Stephanie, but it sure as heck isn't Belle either.

Paxton
Member Avatar

Right. I don't notice anyone saying Philip is the love of Belle's life, or that they are the loves of each other's lives, which is why I used the word "reciprocal" in my post. Even if I believed, which I do not, that Philip was truly deeply in love with Belle (he sure treated her like crap if he did, though that's par for the course with this show), I certainly see no reason to believe she was in love with him. She seemed mostly concerned about whether her lifestyle would be unacceptably lower-middle-class if she married Shawn. I never bought that she was torn at all between Philip and Shawn on an emotional level.

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

This storyline would be much better if we swapped Stephanie with Belle.

libra67

I don't see how anybody would think Chloe or Belle was the love of Philip's life. Chloe feel in love with Brady while she was with Philip and Belle always loved Shawn. There is no way the love of your life would not love you in return. I'm not saying he did not care or love them it just was not returned. I love him and Stephanie together and the best part of it for me is Stephanie is all about Philip and only Philip.

If you like the chemistry between certain actors over others I can see that, but it still does not change the story.
Edited by libra67, May 26 2009, 11:45 AM.

Wes Fan

libra67
May 26 2009, 11:43 AM
I don't see how anybody would think Chloe or Belle was the love of Philip's life. Chloe feel in love with Brady while she was with Philip and Belle always loved Shawn. There is no way the love of your life would not love you in return. I'm not saying he did not care or love them it just was not returned. I love him and Stephanie together and the best part of it for me is Stephanie is all about Philip and only Philip.

If you like the chemistry between certain actors over others I can see that, but it still does not change the story.
I've generally never believed for someone to be "the love of anyone's life" that love has to go both ways. I believe it can be one way and for a lot of people IRL it happens that way. I think we "settle" for things when we can't have what we truly want. I think Stephanie is who Philip is "settling" for as the "love of his life" but I don't believe Stephanie really is that great love.

esp13
Member Avatar

Fair enough. I've just never been a fan of unrequited love stories, at least not ones that last very long. I guess I don't find a guy pining away for a woman who repeatedly chose someone else with no sense of regret all that romantic or entertaining. Mostly, it just makes me feel sorry for the poor doofus who is stock on some woman who doesn't love him.

I guess that's why the only thing I ever really liked about the Victor/Caroline relationship is that it softened Victor occasionally. It was something that kept him from becoming just a mustache-twirling, cartoon villain.

libra67

Wes Fan
May 26 2009, 02:49 PM
libra67

I've generally never believed for someone to be "the love of anyone's life" that love has to go both ways. I believe it can be one way and for a lot of people IRL it happens that way. I think we "settle" for things when we can't have what we truly want. I think Stephanie is who Philip is "settling" for as the "love of his life" but I don't believe Stephanie really is that great love.
I feel sorry for anyone who settles IRL or otherwise. I find humans to be cabable of love again. As far as Philip I might agree with him settling if there had been one indication he was pining away for anyone else, but he is not. IMO he has just moved on and fallen in love again.

esp13
Member Avatar

Excellent point, libra. I'd find it far easier to buy the idea that Philip's one-true love was Belle (or Chloe) if we actually saw Philip show the slightest bit of longing for either of them at any point before or during his relationship with Stephanie. Without that, I can only conclude that Philip has moved on, just like Belle did and just like Chloe did.

Mason

Moving on is one thing, but I find the whole 'Stephanie is the love of Philip's life' thing both absurd and hilarious.

esp13
Member Avatar

Well, that's pretty much how I feel when I hear the same thing applied to Belle or Chloe. Different strokes for different folks and all that. :)

Wes Fan

libra67
May 26 2009, 04:12 PM
Wes Fan
May 26 2009, 02:49 PM
libra67

I feel sorry for anyone who settles IRL or otherwise. I find humans to be cabable of love again. As far as Philip I might agree with him settling if there had been one indication he was pining away for anyone else, but he is not. IMO he has just moved on and fallen in love again.
I guess we have different definitions of "love of your life." You can have a "love of your life" but still love someone else after you are no longer with them ~ widows and widowers do it all the time.

As for "feeling sorry" ~ don't. There's too many people out there who settle for you to feel sorry for. People settle and stay in marriages that don't fufill them any longer. People settle for someone else when their true love is no longer around. It's a fact of life, no need to feel sorry for people over it.

PHELLE FOREVER

esp13
May 26 2009, 10:49 AM
I just want somebody to explain to me why Belle is the love of Philip's life, or better yet, if true, why that is a good thing? I find it sad that the alleged love of Philip's life is a woman who married him only because she thought she was pregnant with his kid, pined for another man the entire time they were married, couldn't wait to end their marriage when she found out her kid was not Philip's after all, and then jerked his feelings around a little more before she ultimately married the other guy. I think Philip deserves way better than that. And maybe that isn't Stephanie, but it sure as heck isn't Belle either.
Okay, I'll explain it. Now, I hate stepping on any one's toes , because I don't know how long you have been watching the show, but it has been playing out since 1999 , when Jay and Kirsten came on as Bellle and Philip that Philip has wanted Belle. She has always been the "object of his affection', so to speak. Through the whole Belle and Shawn getting together, through the Love is Blind thing, through Belle getting pregnant. It has always been WRITTEN that all Philip ever wanted was Belle. Even if Belle didn't love Philip or love him 'in the same way' he loved her, doesn't negate the fact that Philip loved Belle. And yes, Philip is settling .Belle left with Shawn. He has no choice. He had to move on or be alone. Just like in real life.....a person could love YOU , and think of you as the "love of their life", but maybe you don't think of that person as "the love of your life". You may just think of that person as an ex, and that's it! But just because you don't think of them that way, doesn't mean that they won't think of you that way. Me and Mason are definately on the same page on this one. If Belle came back and wanted Philip, he WOULD leave Stephanie in a New York minute.

esp13
Member Avatar

I started watching the show in 1986, but I missed a lot of years in the 90's and 2000's, so I appreciate the backstory. I don't doubt that it was always played that Philip loved Belle back then. I know it was played that way when I started watching again and Kyle Brandt was playing Philip. I don't dispute or remotely deny that Philip loved Belle.

My fundamental disagreement with the idea that Belle is the love of Philip's life comes from two things -- First, I don't think the label "love of your life" applies to somebody who doesn't remotely return those feelings. That's just my opinion and I understand you and others feel differently. Second, I've seen not a single hint that Philip misses Belle at all since she left. I might buy that Philip is settling or that he loves Belle more than anyone if the show bothered to give us a single moment where we see Philip longing for Belle in some way. But they haven't and, based on what I've seen onscreen, Philip has moved on and is happy. That doesn't mean he never loved Belle, just that he's not still in love with her.

As for whether Philip would want Belle if she returned, my guess is that largely depends on what the writer wants him to feel.

Paxton
Member Avatar

esp13
May 27 2009, 03:43 PM
That doesn't mean he never loved Belle, just that he's not still in love with her.

As for whether Philip would want Belle if she returned, my guess is that largely depends on what the writer wants him to feel.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. These are fictional characters who move on or don't move on with the stroke of a pen. To say a character would "never" or "always" do something, or would drop so-and-so if so-and-so came back/knew the truth/was interested/whatever, just seems pointless to me. We don't know and we can't know until the writers put it down on paper. Anything else is sheer fanwank, which may be fun but doesn't prove anything.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply