Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Grace Falls Ill; June 9th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: May 27 2009, 10:34 AM (9,160 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD features an interview with Ali Sweeney.

At the beginning of the week, Sami tells Rafe that she's the happiest she's ever been. Sweeney explains that Sami "is at this place where she feels like her life is finally coming together. So many wonderful things are going on." However, after Rafe leaves for work, Sami realizes Grace has a fever. After that, Sami looks over and sees that Grace is having a seizure. Sami rushes Grace to the emergency room.

Sami tries to reach Rafe on the phone, but she can't because Rafe's cell phone is dead. Sweeney says Sami is terrified: "When you have a child, you have such a firsthand understanding of how horrible it would be to have your child go through something like this. It's just so scary." Sweeney continues that as Sami is trying furiously to get Rafe on the phone, "EJ just happens to be there."

Sami falls into EJ's arms and he comforts her. Then, Daniel approaches Sami and says that genetic testing will be necessary. Sami offers to just tell Daniel about the biological parents so that a test can be avoided, but Daniel tells her that a test will be needed in either case. Sweeney says Sami realizes that "things are about to get a lot worse the second EJ finds out, but if it will help Grace, obviously, she'll do it. She wouldn't hesitate."

Grace's condition worsens, and Daniel does a spinal tap. Sami decides that she needs to tell EJ the truth and she needs to do it immediately. However, Will interrupts her, and then Lucas interrupts her. Then, just as she finally has the opportunity to talk to EJ, Daniel comes over and gives her Grace's diagnosis: bacterial meningitis.

Rafe arrives to help support Sami, who, Sweeney says, is "worried sick about Grace and trying to be strong for her and trying to be positive, but still extremely worried and devastated".

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Hmmm...thanks for posting, Ellie.

Bacterial meningitis? I don't know enough about it to be certain - but I'm guessing it is one of those conditions that can hit anyone and is unrelated to genetics, right?

I wish we knew at this point if EJ finds out and by whom. Aside from the fate of poor little Grace - that really is the critical piece of information that needs to drive this story forward.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie.

What is so hard about telling EJ? This child is doomed and still not a word??????

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie. Poor Grace. :'(

It's silly that Sami would keep getting interrupted while she tries to tell EJ. The writers have gone to that well one too many times. How many times did she get interrupted when she was trying to tell him she was pregnant? :eyeroll:

Wes Fan

Interesting. Seizures as a result of fever are hereditary. I know this because my father had them, my brother had them, and my daughter had them. If I hadn't known what to do because of family history, I would have been insane when it happened. Obviously the baby switch is eventually going to come in to play with this as the seizures are hereditary and Sami would have no history of seizures in her family.

Typical tried and true Days. It takes a medical crisis to reveal baby switches, changed paternity, and assumed paternity (Claire). I'm also guessing Sami never gets a chance to tell EJ the truth and doesn't find out the truth about the switch before Grace dies.

esp13
Member Avatar

Bacterial meningitis is not (to the best of my knowledge) any kind of genetic disease. It's a bacterial infection that is extremely deadly (and very contagious). It also has nothing to do with pre-natal care.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

I just went on a little info expedition and here's what I came up with:

Quote:

Home For Patients and Families Health and Wellness Health Tips from Our Experts Bacterial Meningitis

Bacterial Meningitis

Marvin Harper, MD
What is bacterial meningitis vs. viral meningitis?
Meningitis is an infection that causes inflammation of the three thin layers of tissue, known as meninges, that cover the brain and spinal cord. The two most common types of meningitis are bacterial and viral, and although they have similar symptoms (viral meningitis symptoms may be milder), the two diseases are quite different and require different treatment.
When caused by a virus, meningitis is usually far less severe and is typically treated with bed rest or over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol. But because some other viruses are very serious and can invade the brain, it's important to seek medical attention as a precaution.

Bacterial meningitis is generally much more severe than simple viral meningitis because it can cause serious complications. If not treated immediately, it can be fatal or cause permanent damage to the brain, so it's important to get medical attention as soon as symptoms are discovered.

Type of Meningitis Viral Meningitis Bacterial Meningitis

Symptoms Fever, headache, stiff neck, sensitivity to light, drowsiness, confusion. High fever, severe headache, stiff neck, sensitivity to light, drowsiness, confusion. A rash, nausea, vomiting, and sore throat can also occur.

Effects Temporary, flu-like symptoms, headache, and stiff neck. Possibility of varying degrees of brain damage, including hearing loss and mental retardation. Can be fatal if not treated in time.

Severity Goes away on its own usually within three to 10 days. Life-threatening. Medical treatment is needed immediately

Treatment Bed rest, Tylenol Hospitalization and antibiotics

Don Goldmann, MD
What are the effects of bacterial meningitis?
With early antibiotic treatment, the risk of bacterial meningitis being fatal is less than 15 percent, however, there is still a 10 to 15 percent chance of permanent brain damage. The level of damage depends on how much swelling and inflammation occurs near the brain. The stroke-like effects caused by the swelling can include:
Hearing loss
Mental retardation
Organ damage
Paralysis

What are the symptoms?
Bacterial meningitis usually starts with headache and fever, which are common to many illnesses, making bacterial meningitis difficult to diagnose at this stage. Symptoms more specific to bacterial meningitis include severe headache, pain when bending the neck forward or a stiff neck, and sometimes sensitivity to light. Later symptoms can include confusion, lethargy, or seizures. Symptoms can progress rapidly, and some patients experience delirium or coma by the time they seek treatment. In infants, the symptoms to be aware of are:
Fever
Irritability (fussy and crying a lot)
Lethargy
High-pitched cry
Arching back
Crying when moved
A bulging fontanelle (the soft spot on an infant's head)
Seizures

For children older than 1 year, look for:
Fever
Neck or back pain (or stiff neck)
Headache
Confusion
Sensitivity to light
Refusing to eat
Decreased level of consciousness
Seizures
Nausea and vomiting

It is important to emphasize that children may not display all of the above signs and symptoms. "There is no way a parent can definitively tell if a child has bacterial meningitis, but parents are generally pretty aware of when their child is sick and in need of medical care," says Donald Goldmann, MD, an infectious disease expert at Children's Hospital Boston. "It's important that a patient shows up at the hospital quickly or it may be too late in the game."

It appears from this the seizures are a symptom of the disease and not necessarily a hereditary indicator.

avelina
Member Avatar

Thanks for the posting.

The real shocker would be if Days could take a medical issue and made it some what realistic.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

esp13
May 27 2009, 10:47 AM
Bacterial meningitis is not (to the best of my knowledge) any kind of genetic disease. It's a bacterial infection that is extremely deadly (and very contagious). It also has nothing to do with pre-natal care.
Right, though WebMD does tell me there's a vaccine for children. And right there I've done more research about this condition than the Days writers did; I didn't bother to check and see how old the child needs to be before it's administered or anything like that--I could totally be on the Days writing staff.

I do think they purposefully picked an illness that isn't anyone's "fault" and that doesn't make Sami look bad for not revealing (at least, not yet) what she believes to be her child's medical history--she can still keep her secret if she wants to and not endanger Grace's life.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

esp13
Member Avatar

Wow, it appears that Days may have actually googled something.

Quote:

Febrile seizures, relatively common in kids younger than 5 years old, can occur when a child develops a high fever, usually with the temperature rising rapidly to 102 Fahrenheit (38.9 Celsius) or more. While terrifying to parents, these seizures are usually brief and rarely cause any problems, unless the fever is associated with a serious infection, such as meningitis. A child who has a febrile seizure is not more likely to develop epilepsy.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/emergencies/seizure.html

I don't think the seizures are a hereditary thing (or at least not intended to be in this case). I think it's just the result of a high fever from the meningitis.

So, it looks like the baby switch isn't going to be revealed after all.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar

Paxton
May 27 2009, 10:56 AM
esp13
Right, though WebMD does tell me there's a vaccine for children. And right there I've done more research about this condition than the Days writers did; I didn't bother to check and see how old the child needs to be before it's administered or anything like that--I could totally be on the Days writing staff.

I do think they purposefully picked an illness that isn't anyone's "fault" and that doesn't make Sami look bad for not revealing (at least, not yet) what she believes to be her child's medical history--she can still keep her secret if she wants to and not endanger Grace's life.

Yep - I agree. The urgent need to tell EJ in case he can help save Grace is removed once the diagnosis is given. My guess is that if EJ is told that Grace is (believed to be) his daughter, it won't come from Sami. :shame:

esp13
Member Avatar

Paxton
esp13

The news about the vaccine sparked my interest so I googled some more. From what google tells me, it looks like the vaccine is available for those over the age of 2, but does not prevent all forms of meningitis, just the most common.

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/Adolescent/meningitis_vaccine.html

Paxton
Member Avatar

esp13
May 27 2009, 11:03 AM
The news about the vaccine sparked my interest so I googled some more. From what google tells me, it looks like the vaccine is available for those over the age of 2, but does not prevent all forms of meningitis, just the most common.

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/Adolescent/meningitis_vaccine.html
I feel like this thread is a PSA, lol. And you can come be on the writing staff with me!

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

esp13
yup. the thing that's a little suspicious about all the ' fever anvils' in the story is that bacterial meningitis isn't usually a lingering type of illness, where grace could be sick for weeks with a fever. my friend's little sister contracted it as a child, was mis-diagnosed with the flu, and lost her hearing due to the illness. she almost died. but i know for a fact that it was a sudden thing that didn't involve an off and on fever for weeks beforehand. i guess i'm surprised this didn't end up being a genetic thing that would tip off sami to grace not really being hers.

esp13
Member Avatar

Well, as PSA's go, bacterial meningitis isn't a bad subject to have one on. It's really, scarily deadly. And the symptoms are so similar to a standard cold or flu that nobody thinks to go to the doctor or ER until it's late in the game (sometimes too late). I had a couple of friends who almost died from it in high school and it was very scary.

My mom had viral meningitis (much, much less deadly) several years ago and even though it's not nearly as deadly, it's still pretty nasty.

All of which has nothing to do with Grace except that I'll be very happy if Days manages to get most of the details right.

Paxton
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
May 27 2009, 11:06 AM
i guess i'm surprised this didn't end up being a genetic thing that would tip off sami to grace not really being hers.
Remember when Dena promised you twists and turns in this story? See, there it is!

esp13
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
esp13
yup. the thing that's a little suspicious about all the ' fever anvils' in the story is that bacterial meningitis isn't usually a lingering type of illness, where grace could be sick for weeks with a fever. my friend's little sister contracted it as a child, was mis-diagnosed with the flu, and lost her hearing due to the illness. she almost died. but i know for a fact that it was a sudden thing that didn't involve an off and on fever for weeks beforehand. i guess i'm surprised this didn't end up being a genetic thing that would tip off sami to grace not really being hers.
I guess we'll have to see how it plays out but I'm not sure the fever Grace has been having is supposed to be related to the meningitis. Rather, I think that fever and Grace's general fussiness (from teething or whatever) is used to show that meningitis symptoms are very similar to other, non-serious issues which makes it harder to diagnose as quickly as necessary.

esp13
Member Avatar

Paxton
May 27 2009, 11:10 AM
luvpumpkns
i guess i'm surprised this didn't end up being a genetic thing that would tip off sami to grace not really being hers.
Remember when Dena promised you twists and turns in this story? See, there it is!
Don't let it be said that Dena doesn't keep her promises.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Paxton
May 27 2009, 11:10 AM
luvpumpkns
lol

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Paxton
esp13
ooo, maybe they'll have it that Sami declined the vaccine with all the concerns about Autism and vaccines. They just did this on Law & Order and they tried to throw the book at the mother. Maybe Lexie discouraged Sami from getting the vax, if so, she should fry too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply